Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Why you need a rear dashcam as well

Saw this "minor" accident today on Outer Ring Road Bengaluru.
The two wheeler suddenly, for no good reason, veered towards left and rammed the back of the car which seemed to be "new".

I was lucky the two wheeler did not do this action to me. A safe commute could have been a nightmare. Two wheeler was driven by a lady and I barely managed to avoid hitting her. Felt bad for the car guy.

My video editing skills are not great, please start from 0:35s if you want to save time. Ignore the timestamp, I need to correct it.

Need a rear dashcam also now

Moderators, please move to relevant thread if needed.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 9th August 2022 at 18:06.
OffRoadFun is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 18:44   #2
BHPian

re: Why you need a rear dashcam as well

That was close and this post should belongs to the near-miss thread. Looks like there are no rear-view mirrors on the scooter. Combine that with mindless lane change, how could the rider not see the car just beside the scooter before changing the lane? Probably distracted too, typical 2W rider antics on our roads.

Last edited by Funny : 9th August 2022 at 18:50. Reason: Typo
Funny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 19:15   #3
BANNED

Re: Why you need a rear dashcam as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
45 seconds of the 1min clip was a waste of time! Can you please edit the clip to begin at 45 seconds and save time for all the other FMs viewing this?

Thanks!
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 19:38   #4
BHPian

Out of curiosity, in such cases if you have the evidence - can you file a complaint against the two wheeler instead of being the one against whom a case is filed ?
What's the real legal side of thing in such cases where you do hold the evidence ? Are you liable to get paid for the damages by the two wheeler or you simply don't get paid but then you don't have to pay to the 2W since it wasn't his fault.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 12:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
The two wheeler suddenly, for no good reason, veered towards left and rammed the back of the car which seemed to be "new".

https://Youtu.be/PeCmkpn57_g
Looks like rider blacked out / lost consiousness.
aashishnb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Looks like rider blacked out / lost consiousness.
Or like any typical 2W driver he decided to go left at the very last moment and simply took the turn, thinking it’s his birthright!

On a serious note, hope no one was injured in this incident!
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 10:19   #7
BHPian

Pathetic defiance towards driving discipline by this two-wheeler rider. Distinctive habit - " Oh my lane stopped, I'll get into some other lane and will continue to netherworld”.

For no fault of his, that car guy needs to shell out money.

Most of the two wheelers are devoid of rear-view mirrors. Infact Whenever I see someone driving or riding without mirrors or folded in mirrors, I am unquestionably sure that they have absolutely no concept of looking then changing lanes.

Hope this societal hazard learnt her lesson for the future.
Aviatoraval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 22:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one.

While I was an early adopter of the front dashcam, I had not bothered to have a rear dashcam all the time, nor invested in buying a dual channel dashcam. In fact, my driving has reduced so greatly in the last few years, that the urge to do it wasn't there. However, with a spare 70mai dashcam lying around, I finally set it up at the rear of the Ciaz.

On my recent trip to HP, I got some interesting footage due to tailgaters. The first one was something that frightened me a little, and is a good demonstration of the need to floor the throttle, rather than hit the brake, to avoid an impending collision on the highway. Why the bus was driving so aggressively, and how equally bad was the other bus being driven, wasn't too clear because I was focussing ahead to get out of the bus' way - but the dashcam recorded it all! Take a look:

The next one, on the same day, is of an aggressive taxi driver who, in his failed attempt to overtake me, almost ran an oncoming Alto off the road. I'd not noticed the predicament of the Alto driver in my mirrors, until I reviewed the video. Here it is:

Late to have started using a rear dashcam, but not going to be without it in future, given the progressively worsening traffic behaviour and road safety in this country.

Do share rear dashcam videos if you have noticed something that you missed in your mirrors.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 22:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Late to have started using a rear dashcam, but not going to be without it in future, given the progressively worsening traffic behaviour and road safety in this country.

Do share rear dashcam videos if you have noticed something that you missed in your mirrors.

I always wondered what a rear dashcam footage would look like, and here we are. That alto!

I will be considering a rear dashcam because to me, in traffic situations here, only the front dashcam feels incomplete.

Anyway, thanks for the videos which have an odd, queasy effect to the stomach to say the least.

Last edited by DogNDamsel12 : 25th March 2024 at 22:51.
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 07:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
On my recent trip to HP, I got some interesting footage due to tailgaters. The first one was something that frightened me a little, and is a good demonstration of the need to floor the throttle, rather than hit the brake, to avoid an impending collision on the highway. Why the bus was driving so aggressively, and how equally bad was the other bus being driven, wasn't too clear because I was focussing ahead to get out of the bus' way - but the dashcam recorded it all!
What was that bus trying to do? Looks so scary. We see something similar here in Kerala too.

This reminds of this scene and that bus looks that old as well .

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 21:29   #11
AYP
Senior - BHPian

While I had installed the front dashcam way back in 2019, the lack of a rear dashcam was always there at the back of my mind. While a dual channel dashcam would have been the ideal solution, getting a unit with the same quality as my front dashcam would have costed me at least 10k. An upgrade in real terms would have costed around 20k. Hence decided to go for a standalone rear dashcam while saving that extra money for a Viofo triple channel in the future. Went for the DDPAI Mini Pro-

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how it looks from the outside-

Why you need a rear dashcam as well-20240211_123640.jpg

This is how it looks from the inside-

Why you need a rear dashcam as well-20240211_123715.jpg

Why you need a rear dashcam as well-20240211_160001.jpg

I had to use a USB extension cable of 2m length to ensure that the cable reaches the charging point at the front of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks