Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 10:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants

Maharashtra police also has started fining people for not wearing rear seatbelt. I am happy about this TBH. Now I don’t have to go convincing/arguing with my rear seat passengers for buckling up. Everybody fears cops & fines. If not for self-awareness, they will definitely adhere in fear of fines

Link
Attached Thumbnails
Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants-e9e9260a396d4c47b73343fc96a90063.jpeg  

SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 23:14   #32
BHPian

Mumbai Police has released notification about seat belts

Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants-20221014_230949.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 14:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenHW View Post

Attachment 2368220
Another day, another notification.
I am laughing at the notification on the period for the "Installation".

I hope the cab belts are cleaned and functional till then.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 15:04   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely the right thing to do. Good for Mumbai Police.

Unfortunately like almost all notices that come from Govt departments the time provided for compliance or replying is unrealistic to start with. This reminds me of notices from tax departments, be it it direct or indirect taxes, asking for a reply by date that is earlier than the post stamped date on the cover!. India has moved on in 75 years but our Govt Departments, the one's with punitive authority, remain stuck in the colonial era where the Govt's job was to strike fear in the hearts of the wretched natives.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 01:41   #35
BHPian

I wonder if they will actually implement this properly and fine people in uber cabs or taxis or older not so fancy cars for not wearing seatbelts.

It definitely is something that is important from a safety perspective.

In Bombay I find our govt chaps a bit biased as far as implementation is concerned - houses / construction, water / electricity connections, bikes, cars etc.

Will it just be yet another rule where the cops will turn a blind eye to some sections of society and penalize people with what they consider "expensive" cars?
Old 16th October 2022, 12:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2368220
Finally, they have woken up. Most manufacturers do not provide 3-point seat belt for middle rear seat in a 5-seater car. Is it possible to install a seatbelt which is not provided by OEM?
Old 16th October 2022, 18:20   #37
BHPian

It is good that government is trying hard to implement new law every few months for safety. All these safety tech are useful in unforeseen circumstances whose probability is higher in our unscientific roads.

At some corner of the country in a ministry meeting,

Road safety inspector or scientist (S) to Minister (M) :Major cause of accident in our highway is poorly constructed roads and potholes

M - Lets introduce Bs6
S - But potholes?
M - Lets introduce Fasttag
S- Potholes?..
M - Oh man, that expressway is absolutely necessary. Lets inaugurate.
S - Poth.?
M - Lets electrify by 2025
S - Pot..?
M - Flex fuel should be introduced in emergency to save on fuel costs. But keep road tax and government tax same on vehicles to make them unaffordable.
S - Po..?
M - Helmet should be compulsory for pillion
S - P..?
M - 6 airbags should be mandatory. We can postpone that. But before that lets fine those who aren't using seatbelts in the back.
S -..
M - Speeding fine for those who are at speed above 60 in an open expressway. Fine those even if they speed up to overtake a slow moving truck in the right most lane. Introduce speed chimes to alert the driver to not overtake in a 4 lane highway at speed above 60.

S -
M - Its time to read newspaper. Meeting concluded.

(In one corner on 5th page there is 2 sentence news about multiple people dying in crash as their bus tyre burst due to potholes, and police have registered a murder case against the dead driver).
DrCar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 17:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

After the Mistry incident, I checked my 2015 Scross' rear seat seat belts and it is a disappointment. The belts are there but the holder is missing or gone under the seat. I guess I will ask the service center to fix it during next servicing. However, there are millions of cars on Indian roads, which do not even have rear seat belts. How can so many vehicles be fitted with seat belts in such a short time? On a side note, good time for the traffic cops to make a lot of money through fines.
Old 18th October 2022, 12:39   #39

Government making it mandatory is the easy part. Now convincing my family is the real challenge.

But after government mandate at least I can convince them better with the threat of fine.

MOD NOTE : Please go through Posting Etiquettes before making any further post on Team-BHP.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd October 2022 at 21:07. Reason: Edited. Poorly written post. Please review the Forum guidelines before proceeding. Thank You.
smsri5 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2022, 15:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Are Autorickshaws exempted from the seat-belt rule?
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 11:18   #41
BHPian

KA state police makes it mandatory to wear seat belts for people sitting in rear seats. Police will impose Rs 1000 fine if anyone is found violating it.

Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants-20221020_111703.jpg

Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants-20221020_111706.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
KA state police makes it mandatory to wear seat belts for people sitting in rear seats. Police will impose Rs 1000 fine if anyone is found violating it.
Saw this in today's ToI front page as well. Doesn't specify about cars which don't have seat belts for the rear occupants. How does this rule apply for these occupants?
Old 20th October 2022, 15:53   #43
BHPian

I know there are quite a few practical issues with enforcing this rule. Most of the cabs have the rear seat belts removed or tucked away, quite a few people are travelling in the luggage loading areas in vehicles like Tata Ace, goods vehicles, tractors etc.

But if this rule can make more people wear seat belts, I am more than happy. Based on all the recent news, I personally know few people who are wearing their belts now and were not very keen earlier.
nagarjun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 16:17   #44
BHPian

Very good move .

But just as sooo many other rules in India, enforcement will be strict when the rule is announced, and will gradually drop off. Hopefully that wont happen here, but unlikely as we are who we are.

However, those small group of drivers who WANT all passengers to buckle up but have a tough time getting them to do it, will now have some additional ammo in their arsenal to get people to belt up in their cars.
lordrayden is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 16:20   #45
BHPian

This is good. Even though the details around use of child restrains for kids, use of normal belt when its unsafe under a certain height for pre-teens, etc need further discussion. At least this is a start and hopefully the cabs with hidden rear seat belt buckles will make a change.

It's discomforting to take cabs when you don't have rear belts/ buckles and then the driver wants to play road rash. And by chance if any cab has a working buckle, the belt itself is so dirty that it leaves a signature mark on your shirt.

Small steps but in right direction. Let's see how it's implemented. Like the front belt rules years back, I am hopeful that this will bring a habitual change over time in the masses.
vivekz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks