Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2022, 16:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants

This will be a juicy revenue stream for our traffic cops

All jokes aside, I am very glad that they have finally rolled this out. I don't have to get into bitter arguments with older relatives about wearing seatbelts in the rear seats anymore.

Sad that our citizens need policing on as fundamental a topic as self preservation. But TII (This Is India)..
ashivas89 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 17:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
After the Mistry incident, I checked my 2015 Scross' rear seat seat belts and it is a disappointment. The belts are there but the holder is missing or gone under the seat. I guess I will ask the service center to fix it during next servicing. However, there are millions of cars on Indian roads, which do not even have rear seat belts. How can so many vehicles be fitted with seat belts in such a short time?
It will take you a couple of min to pull the seatbelt out from under the seat. No need to go to a service center.

I don't understand when people here talk about cars not having seat belts. I have not seen any car sold in the last 20 years come without rear seat belts.
Jaguar is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 17:50   #48
BHPian

Like many pointed out, I am absolutely fine with the rule for seat belts for all passengers. Within my family, we always have the habit of wearing seatbelts irrespective of the place where we sit in the car. The policemen also are now geared up to collect extra moolah from the road users.

But the government apathy towards the maintenance of roads is completely appalling. After the recent rains in Bangalore, may good roads have turned into suspension breakers and it is hard to find a good road in Bangalore except for the cemented ones. There is no accountability for people who are in charge of maintenance of roads and this "Swalpa adjust madi" attitude makes a mockery of honest tax payers like us.
gopikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 19:09   #49
BHPian

Yippe. Finally!
And considering the roads these days its imperative all wear them especially in the rear seat cos you dont want your head caved in by the side of your car.
Old 20th October 2022, 23:56   #50
BHPian

Now that we all are wearing seatbelts at all times, I am sure we'll be super safe in bumper to bumper bangalore traffic!
ashwin489 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 12:19   #51
BHPian

<sarcasm face on>

Brilliant move. Gives an impression of "doing something" without really having to do any heavy lifting around creating awareness, graded enforcement etc. Given that most taxis and fleet vehicles of BPOs/ IT companies rarely have functioning rear seat belts, this is a Diwali- New Year bonanza for all concerned !!

We DEFINITELY need 100% adherance to rear seat belts. But this "lets send out a rule with penalties" shows everything that is wrong about our administrations

Last edited by Contrapunto : 21st October 2022 at 12:21.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Police postpones seat belt rule to November 11

The Mumbai Police has postponed the implementation of the seat belt rule that mandates all passengers, including rear seat occupants to be strapped in, by 10 days.

Govt. to make wearing seatbelts mandatory for rear occupants-seat_belt_01.jpg

The seat belt rule was supposed to come into effect on November 1, 2022. However, the police will now start enforcing the regulation from November 11.

According to the police, this would give them enough time to spread awareness about the rule and the importance of wearing seat belts in general. Once implemented, the police will start cracking down on offenders as per the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act.

Authorities across India have started enforcing the new regulation laid out by the government following the death of Tata Sons chairman Cyrus Mistry. Prior to this, only the driver and front passenger are required to wear seat belts.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 08:05   #53
BHPian

A very good step in the right direction, though the rule of wearing seat belts in the rear has existed for a while now. Sometime back, there were checks on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway for rear seat belts and some motorists were fined too.

On a personal front, our family has started wearing seat belts when seated in the rear.

However, I find the condition of seat belts in public vehicles very dirty. I would refrain from using them. It boils down to lack of awareness of the vehicle owner / driver, who should clean the belts regularly.

Many buses do not have seat belts and are being driven at 80+ km/hr.

Very often, cab drivers in Mumbai have their seat belts tied to keep slack and worn to visually comply with the rule.

Strict enforcement is the only solution, in my opinion.
Old 5th November 2022, 11:03   #54
BHPian

Although I'm fully supportive of seat belts on all seats to be worn, it makes little sense using inside cities. On highways no doubt it should be a must.
Old 21st January 2023, 09:46   #55
BHPian

uk-pm-rishi-sunak-gets-fined-by-police-for-failing-to-wear-seatbelt

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/uk-p...atbelt-3711332

Looks like the cops in UK have taken action based on video evidence.

Wish our cops had the guts to do the same to our politicians who flaunt their power on the road are standing on the sunroof during some election rally.

Most Viewed