Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 13:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
The cars will sell, Maruti's stock will rise each year.
Its a mere handful of Bhpians who really consider star ratings while getting a car for the family and their safety!
Slightly OT but Maruti's stock has not touched peaks hit in 2017. Given how well the broader index has performed, it has been a huge losing proposition for investors. With Maruti lagging behind on EVs, situation should only get worse in my opinion.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:58   #77
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
With Maruti lagging behind on EVs, situation should only get worse in my opinion.
Absolutely. Although I think they're smart to give the hybrid options for now along with Toyota, I really don't see how they can go on without investing in EVs. It's inevitable and I'm afraid they'll be left behind to play catch up. All other leading manufacturers have EV options in one segment or the other.
Old 13th December 2022, 16:37   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
Guess what, I think the car has toppled over.
If you watch the entire video of GNCAP you can see the Scorpio N actually didn't topple over during the side impact test. Yes, it was about to topple. But didn't actually. See the first clip shown from the front. I guess they deliberately didn't show that view after the impact in next clips.

Meanwhile, I would like to share a whatsapp status that was posted by a known SA employed in NEXA, about the Ignis yesterday. What a timing for this WhatsApp status!
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-screenshot_202212122042012.png  

Last edited by RijuC : 13th December 2022 at 16:41.
RijuC is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 18:05   #79
BHPian

Surprised to learn that the S-Presso is actually safer than Swift and Ignis, in spite of being cheaper. If not for this test, we'd have never guessed. I'm guessing this has something to do with S-Presso being a newer product that was engineered to meet slightly advanced safety expectations from the customer.

Plenty of comments here critical of GNCAP's decision to test Maruti's older and non-premium models compared to M&M and Tata. It can give the impression of favouring a few OEMs over others. However, is that really the case? Tata and Mahindra built some of their cars specifically to do well in crash tests. And because they are competently run businesses, they chose to capitalize on those vehicles' strengths by sponsoring those vehicles for crash testing. Thanks to that, we know the GNCAP ratings for XUV700, XUV300, Scorpio-N, Nexon, Tiago etc. Those cars did famously well in the tests, and I'm pretty sure that helped their sales as well. They didn't volunteer their less-than-stellar performing models for this test (Harrier, Bolero Neo etc.), because from their standpoint, perhaps nothing good can come from discovering the GNCAP rating of those vehicles.

Now, Maruti Suzuki is the largest car maker in India by market share and raw numbers. If they wanted, they can easily afford to send their cars with best safety credentials (be it Brezza, XL6 or anything) for GNCAP testing. They chose not to. To my layman's mind, that implies
a. MS expects the GNCAP scores of these cars to be underwhelming
OR
b. Their GNCAP scores are unlikely to have an impact on sales (because of customer apathy, production bottlenecks... who knows).
... or a combination of both of the above.

Last edited by SlowRider : 13th December 2022 at 18:07. Reason: changed tone so that it's clear that this is just speculation.
Old 13th December 2022, 18:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Glad that the Scorpio did very well. But I'm doubting whether GNCAP really have a serious beef with Maruti. They just ran side impact tests on models with no side airbags and just gave it one star rating. Didn't even bother re running the frontal tests and reused data from couple of years back. Without side airbags none of them would've went beyond 2 stars. Not that they don't know that. If they were really interested in assessing MS, they could've ran the tests on the new Brezza or Baleno or even the GV/Hyryder twins.Honestly disappointed. I was expecting at least one of them to be tested.

Would they dare do the same with Altroz, Nexon and Punch and re rate them? For sure they won't go above two stars (Star cap on cars with no side/curtain airbags). Serious question.

Heck, S Presso was the last car to be tested under old protocols. It's been what, 6 months? Does GNCAP expect a difference in such a short amount of time without any change in equipment?
Yep. For sure the GNCAP has a plot to defame Maruti since Maruti is firm in its stand on not sending their cars for GNCAP. They should have chose the newer generation Marutis - Grand Vitara, Brezza or Baleno if they wanted to prove a point that Maruti isn't safe. By testing older Marutis (though still on sale) and crash testing along with a latest generation Mahindra and to make a comparison out of it, the GNCAP seems to have an agenda behind. Though Maruti isn't going to care as they usually deal with GNCAP, for sure the manufacturer seems has an intent to improve the safety aspect of their cars in recent times.
bajoseph04 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 18:57   #81
BHPian

Well, the Mahindra Scorpio did well. Kudos! But then, in Frontal offset deformable barrier test, its scores are almost on par with the Honda WRV which scored a disappointing 1 Star in Latin NCAP The WRV scored 12.2 and Scorpio N scored 12.3 out of 16 in the Frontal offset deformable barrier test! I know there are other testing criteria and differences between Global NCAP and the Latin NCAP but for general public and for most of us, WRV is a 1 star car and Scorpio N is a 5 star rated car
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-scorpio-n-vs-wrv.jpg  

bajoseph04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 20:46   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Homegrown Mahindra's Scorpio N has excelled with its star rating. That's phenomenal rise from the ZERO, that the Scorpio (2009-16) refreshed edition garnered. Tata and Mahindra have improved their safety ratings doing all necessary homework.

Whereas the so called, best selling Maruti Suzukis, that are a CYNOSURE of a majority of car buyers eyes improved their star ratings dismally from ZERO to these pitiable ratings. Pitiable, because I pity the buyers who give safety a very low priority.

Contrastingly do please check the NCAP safety rating of the Suzuki Swift 2010 model, built in Romania and sold in the British market. Yes, the FIVE stars it got was 12 years ago.

Wonder where Bhargava and his MSIL is leading in India to ?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th December 2022 at 21:06.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 00:04   #83
BANNED

The number of people cooking up conspiracy theories on this thread is itself the stark reality of our nation. Someone with basic common sense would have understood by now that there is some vested interests in not implementing BNCAP. For a nation which is sending missions to Moon and Mars, setting up a crash test facility is like child’s play. Maruti can do whatever they can to delay the inevitable, but one day they will be paraded naked. That time the conspiracy theorists will have to run for cover.

Maruti, you can’t wash your hands off the blood of my fellow Indians. The absolute disregard to human lives shows what kind of low lives are running this organisation. If you can’t accept GNCAP, get it tested by JNCAP where Suzuki has to test their cars. You jerks will never have the balls to get your made in India cars tested by JNCAP.

Many who are against GNCAP are mostly ones who are owning cars with dubious crash ratings. I can understand the frustration of owning such a car, but that doesn’t mean you guys have to defame GNCAP.

PS: I do drive a car with not great crash rating and unstable body shell, that was what was affordable for me at that time.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 14th December 2022 at 00:13.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 00:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
If you can’t accept GNCAP, get it tested by JNCAP where Suzuki has to test their cars. You jerks will never have the [guts] to get your made in India cars tested by JNCAP.
JNCAP tests only Japanese-market cars. Suzuki does better there; recently even the Japanese Wagon R scored four stars. But JNCAP testing is in general more comprehensive than the GNCAP's except for the lack of a side pole test. JNCAP includes many active safety tests (eg. the Japanese Wagon R has AEB and lane support) and JNCAP's side impact barrier is faster, heavier and more realistic so the Swift and Ignis which showed an alarmingly high risk of serious thoracic injury in the GNCAP's regulation-based side impact would probably not be able to hold a candle to the Suzukis usually tested by JNCAP which have side airbags.

Even with the updated protocols the GNCAP remains the 'easiest' automotive consumer safety programme there is worldwide, discounting the makeshift media-run Russian programme and to some extent the outdated US NCAP.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 06:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Lets face the facts. GNCAP has been testing Indian cars since 2014. How much of an impact has this made to the companies whose cars scored lower? Nothing significant in my opinion. Yes it may have helped companies on the positive side of things.But it is also clear that some well rated cars arent exactly best sellers ( Tiago, Tigor, Triber, Kiger, Magnite, Marazzo) . So for all the churn and angst that we go through on this forum it is just ambient noise for the OEMs. The only way it hits them is regulation. And for some unknown reason, there is a soft pedalling there. We have highways being built to facilitate travel at 120 kph, but dont expect cars to be built to a higher level of safety.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th December 2022 at 06:16.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 11:37   #86
Senior - BHPian

M&M and TATA are leading in providing safe vehicles. Yet we only look at after sales and write - service remains a gamble, is a hit or a miss. While we happily ignore the fact that safety is definitely a hit with these vehicles.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 11:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

For a company which boasted about the affordability of cars (through Mr Bhargava's infamous remark on the cost of safety) there is complete alignment in company policy and the test outcome. Let us not portray MSIL as what they are not by giving benefit of the doubt!
Old 14th December 2022, 17:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

Now here is another interesting piece of news from IIHS. See what you can make of it.

Most small SUVs flunk updated insurance industry crash tests - The Economic Times https://m.economictimes.com/news/int...w/96194059.cms
Old 15th December 2022, 11:17   #89

The Scorpio N performed as expected, given Mahindra's focus on safety. Well done.

But what's the point of testing the old Marutis , esp the Swift, which is on its way out. I would have loved to see how the new gen cars performed, exp the Baleno.
Old 15th December 2022, 11:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Yep. They do have a serious beef with Maruti.
I agree with you, why did they not retest some other car from Tata or Mahindra.
I am not sure why they did not use the resources to test untested cars (Harrier/Bolero/Baleno etc.)
There is no taking away from the fact that majority of the cars sold by Maruti are unsafe but seems GNCAP is specially targetting Maruti.
Maybe this has got to do something with Maruti completely ignoring GNCAP ratings.
We can't blame GNCAP for these retests as the organisation has been pivotal in bringing safety awareness to the people, my only grouse is that they should not be targetting certain manufacturers.
arjungod is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed