Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2022, 15:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

India recorded over 1.55 lakh road accident related deaths in 2021

According to the data released by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCBR), 1,55,622 people lost their lives in road accidents in India in 2021.

India recorded over 1.55 lakh road accident related deaths in 2021-1566913163haryana_road_accident.jpg

India recorded 4,03,116 severe road accidents during the year. As per the data, 46 severe road accidents occurred every hour, which led to 3,71,884 people getting severely injured.

The report states that 5% of highways in India contribute to 60% of fatalities. This could be due to several reasons like bad road conditions, improper maintenance and violation of traffic rules. 60% of accidents were due to over speeding. Excessive speed was also the reason for 56% of the fatalities.

The data also revealed that 15,146 people died as a result of not wearing seat belts in 2020. Furthermore, accidents caused by overloaded vehicles resulted in the death of 10,416 individuals during the same year.

Source: Car and Bike

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 14th December 2022 at 15:37.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 16:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: India recorded over 1.55 lakh road accident related deaths in 2021

While this number should be reducing, it is sad that it is increasing. We already report the highest road fatalities in the world by far and it is only increasing.

While safer cars, technology, etc., can help to a point, the biggest onus lies with us the 'road user' to follow the rules, respect other road users and teach our next generation the same. Without that, unfortunately I don't see this situation changing much.

Going by past statistics, 70% of these 1.55Lakh people who lost their lives are aged between 18-45 years, which is a HUGE impact to the families and our country's GDP as well.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 16:25   #3
BHPian

I wished after the Cyrus Mistry incident, seatbelts would be thoroughly checked. But I was so wrong. Absolutely nothing in my city. A lot of incompetent & absolutely corrupt people working in RTO, police. We distribute driving licence like voter ID card and in many places in my state they conduct no tests whatsoever (₹2-3k under the desk is all it takes) and the test itself is horribly outdated and tests nothing apart from ability to maneuver the car

Until and unless we fix core problems related to process, infrastructure & enforcement, I don't think our numbers will fall.
Silent Buddha is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 16:34   #4
BHPian

It would be interesting to understand what are the 5% highways or sections of highways where most accidents happen. Ideally the below data would throw more light on the probable cause of accidents

1. Place/section of highways
2. Time. Whether it is night or day or evening etc
3. Vehicles involved.
4. Probable cause apart from speed like hitting a stationery vehicle, pedestrian, or wrong side driving etc
5. Age of the drivers/riders
6. Probable Speed of both vehicles. Unless there is some way to measure this, probably through CAms etc most of the times the onlookers/witnesses if any would say the vehicle was speeding.

And given increasing density of population as well as vehicles we are bound to have higher absolute number of accidents. Higher powered vehicles together with improving roads minus lack of proper training and common sense is a perfect combination for trouble.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 14th December 2022 at 16:37.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 18:17   #5
BHPian

I have a different thought though.

1. We (India) are the 2nd most populous nation in the world. We are almost 3 times less in size compared to the most populous nation (China).
2. Similarly, India is one of the most densely populated nations in the world.

So obviously being a leader in population and density of population, India can easily become the leader in road accidents as well. Adding to this are the other critical following reasons to make us the leader in accidents
1. Poor road infrastructure (design, plan, build and maintain)
2. High negligence and irresponsibility (both people as well as governments)
3. High corruption and poor governance
4. Poor road rules (implementation as well as following)
5. Insufficient vehicle standards, regulations, and compliances
6. Unfortunately insufficiently considerate people and the government.
7. Poor license process and RTO processes for both people and vehicles
8. Lack of commitment and responsibility from both sides - People and Government
9. Poor public transport systems and connectivity.

Additionally, this data by NCBR has no validation. For eg
1. What is the basis on which this research/analysis is done?
2. How does the sample size arrive?
3. How are the reasons (for accidents) classified and what is the basis for that?
4. What is the source of data?
5. Have we done any research/validation earlier or at present on various parameters that define an accident or the classification of an accident?
6. How is the data reported and what is the reporting structure/process?

Unless and until we (people and government) have a clear understanding of all these and we take responsibility, we cannot reduce this number.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 14th December 2022 at 18:28.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 12:50   #6
BHPian

In this Digital era, it should be very easy to catch overspeeding. We have little to no infrastructure to catch it, compared to other countries. Easiest way is to do a "Tirupati speed governance" model.
If anyone has driven down the Tirumala hill, you would know. If you reach the bottom of the hill before 35 minutes, you would end up paying a fine. The last time I was there, it was a pleasure along those ghats where no one was trying to overtake, and everyone was carrying a leisurely speed.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/20928652.cms

I know this is dramatic for wider application, but a Toll post to toll post verification of average speed will give a good hint on how the drive had been for each vehicle. This could mean, a direct PayTm deduction of a Fine at each toll booth, or a discount for following limits.

This will still not help in cases where one drives very fast, but stops for a break in between. Also, this should consider the traffic density to assertain even if an average speed of 100 could have been dangerous for that time of the day and road conditions.

Imagine this, I leave Toll Plaza 1 at 8 AM, and I see a board that says, traffic is light, Safe speed - 100Kmph, Time of arrival at Toll Plaza 2 - 8:40, Distance to Toll Plaza 2 - 45Kms
or
Toll Plaza 1- 7PM, Road condition Wet, Traffic type - Trucks, Watch out for puddles on the banked roads, Visibility Poor, Max Speed - 75, arrival at toll plaza 2 - 8:10 PM
This is good information for every driver.

I found it particularly helpful on our drive back from Madurai in heavy rains this weekend, and the boards in Tamil Nadu were very helpful. It said, "Visibility low - Drive Slow, maintain safe distance"
vinya_jag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 11:41   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Even before the stage where we flatten the curve or reverse it these are the points completely ignored:
1. Scientific logging of accident data.
2. Inconsistent road stretches mixed up on a 100kmph highway e.g. passing through villages.
3. Speed radar availability or absence on the stretch of roads known for speeding.
4. Traffic violations logged on roads which are considered easy to speed.
5. Drunk driving, vehicle braking checks on start of ghat sections.
6. Marking of roads in terms of dividers, boundary lines, curbs, reflectors on cross sections.
7. Number of accidents involving death or injuries with respect to use of seat belts used or not.
8. Consistent lane widths, step wise reduction or increase in lanes.

May be 5 full years of rich data about accidents can help us know basic unknowns and we can improve on them.
Old 21st December 2022, 13:05   #8
BHPian

Actually, MoRTH has been releasing much more detailed data on road accidents annually since 2008. See here.

Also, lots of useful statistics, graphs, pie charts can also be found in MoRTH website. Look for 'Road Safety' in drop-down menu and click on 'Road Accidents Dashboard'. A very informative 8-slide data-mine will open up.

Bottomline, we average about 450,000 accidents per annum over the last 5 years. And we lose (on an average) about 1.5 lakh people every year in these road accidents. The numbers have been more or less similar over the past 5 years.
I wonder then, are we improving each year(?!!), since more vehicles & drivers/riders are added on to our roads every year. Nah! Who are we kidding!
Old 21st December 2022, 16:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Buddha View Post
A lot of incompetent & absolutely corrupt people working in RTO, police. We distribute driving licence like voter ID card and in many places in my state they conduct no tests whatsoever (₹2-3k under the desk is all it takes) and the test itself is horribly outdated and tests nothing apart from ability to maneuver the car
In the present scenario, the agent system for the issue of DL must be abolished. People get DL sitting at home. A few of my knowns have got their DL and they still don't know how to drive. DL issue processes need to be strict and highly monitored. Videograph the whole driving test process. And check the video footage of the driving test in case the driver is at fault in an accident. Then terminate the RTO Official responsible if due process is not followed.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 16:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Easiest way is to do a "Tirupati speed governance" model.
If anyone has driven down the Tirumala hill, you would know. If you reach the bottom of the hill before 35 minutes, you would end up paying a fine. "
I thought this model to check overspeeding in Aut and Atal Tunnel. Based on length and speed limit, a minimum time can be fixed and if the vehicle crosses the tunnel before that time, fine with the suspension of DL can be imposed.
Old 21st December 2022, 23:37   #11

Glaring High Beams sourced from the after market. I am not sure how or why they are being allowed on cars. There is a reason why car manufacturers have 55w as the limit for headlights, but some idiots just need to with something higher than 72w or 100w to inconvenience other road users

Wonder when better sense would prevail.
Old 22nd December 2022, 00:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
60% of accidents were due to over speeding. Excessive speed was also the reason for 56% of the fatalities.
This is a reality check for all the speed enthusiasts who don't want any kind of speed limits. I have always believed that high speed in a country like ours is always dangerous. We are not as mature as the west when it comes to speed and safety. One can compare the driving tests of various countries to know where we stand. India is one of the easiest countries in the world to get a driving licence: https://www.zuto.com/driving-tests-around-the-world/
Attached Thumbnails
India recorded over 1.55 lakh road accident related deaths in 2021-screenshot_20221222004749.png  

CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 00:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
This is a reality check for all the speed enthusiasts who don't want any kind of speed limits. I have always believed that high speed in a country like ours is always dangerous. We are not as mature as the west when it comes to speed and safety. One can compare the driving tests of various countries to know where we stand. India is one of the easiest countries in the world to get a driving licence: https://www.zuto.com/driving-tests-around-the-world/
Well, India can now add the fully automated driving test!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...s-drivers.html (Why automated driving licence testing in India produces dangerous drivers)

You drive around at 5-10 km/hour on a test track with no other traffic and as long as you don’t hit the curb to often you are good to go!

You can’t make this stuff up!
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks