Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 13:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Thanks for the information guys...

I think these how showroom people cheat saying it has ABS/EBD/TCS even though it has only ABS.
If EBD is there, spec/brochure would specify it. Check SX4 & Swift sheet, they specify it explicitly. Remember onething, if EBD is available, why would manufacturer hide it from customer?

Don't rely on what sales people say. Hyundai didn't mention boot size, when I asked, sales person said "no car sheet mentions it, Sir" !! They just want to meet their target at any cost, so they just do whatever it takes.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 10th July 2007 at 13:39.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
If EBD is there, spec/brochure would specify it. Check SX4 & Swift sheet, they specify it explicitly. Remember onething, if EBD is available, why would manufacturer hide it from customer?

I have also seen sales people saying that the spec/brochure is over and they just give you a print out of price list and directly show you the car...
If EBD is not there and sales person tells that EBD is there!!! then there is a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Don't rely on what sales people say

That’s why i rely on Team-bhp rather than a sales person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
EBD is more or less left to the configuration of the ECU.
According to flipsyde it seems that manually u cant check for EBD presence in the car.

Rajs
Old 10th July 2007, 18:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I have also seen sales people saying that the spec/brochure is over and they just give you a print out of price list and directly show you the car...
Rajs
In such cases, check out company websites which supposed to give correct data.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
According to flipsyde it seems that manually u cant check for EBD presence in the car.

Rajs
as far as my understanding goes its like this...... ABS pulsates the braking action in order to avoid the wheels locking up.....EBD on the other hand applies different levels of pressure in applying brakes on each individual wheel. especially useful when braking suddenly in a corner....... inner wheels are given lesser brake force compared to the outer wheels.

@rajs - i;m not sure about checking the physical presence of EBD on a car. at the most we can find sensors fitted to the wheels which would be the same case as in an ABS system.....

so who's to tell the difference......
Old 10th July 2007, 21:47   #20
BHPian

Does EBD have any differentiation in applying pressure to Disc & Drum brakes, because most of the car have Disc brakes in front and Drum brakes at rear ?
Old 10th July 2007, 23:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ask for the owners manual and look for the specifications.
Old 11th July 2007, 13:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
@rajs - i;m not sure about checking the physical presence of EBD on a car. at the most we can find sensors fitted to the wheels which would be the same case as in an ABS system.....

so who's to tell the difference......
Thanks flipsyde for answering to the point on "physical presence of EBD on a car" rather than asking me to look into the net.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:45   #23
BHPian

how to check the ABS and EBD ?

Hi all ,

I have bought a fiesta 1.6 sxi with abs and ebd. Does any one know if one can check if it's working fine ? i mean is it possible to check (without doing anything crazy) if it gets activated or not ? my question may be little foolish. I know you can't check the functioning of airbags without the front collision but thought checking of abs and ebd may be possibel , need your advise guys !

regrads

amol

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th April 2009 at 12:53. Reason: Please continue in this thread.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:32   #24
BHPian

the rs has only abs , no ebd and traction control in india.

you can have ABS and not EBD
you cannot have EBD and no ABS.

as EBD is the next step from ABS

both the systems use the same sensors on the wheels which are senseing/ monitoring the wheel speed/ lock.

ABS provides the intermittent braking force in order to eliminate wheel lock.

EBD distributes the braking force to the wheels which are not locking up and reduces braking force to the wheel which might lock up .

to check for ABS is easy , just slam on the brakes and your wheels shouldnt lock up and you will feel the shudder on the brake pedal.

to check for EBD , i dont know . will this work?
one set of wheels ( front + rear) should be on a slippery surface and the other set should be on a grippy surface , and then apply brakes.????

or as flypsyde pointed out , while braking into a corner/ thru a corner , the EBD will be constantly distributing and redistributing the braking force to the wheels which are less prone to lock.

or when braking in a starightline , as the front wheels reach the threshold of locking up , the braking force reduces to the front wheels and increases to the rear wheels?

brake assist is different , in BA, lets say in a panic situation , the driver would take his leg of the acc pedal faster than usual and hit the brake pedal harder, so i think the force with which you hit the brake pedal is sensed and the brake pressure is boosted accordingly inorder to reduce reaction time and braking distance. i think . need more clarity though.

Last edited by siddartha : 15th April 2009 at 14:52.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:43   #25
BHPian

I am still confused among the three BA (Brake Assist), EBD and Traction Control
Old 15th April 2009, 14:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Brake Assist applies maximum brakes in an emergency situation even if you don't push the pedal fully. It detects the speed of the release of the A-pedal and the speed of depression of the B-pedal to determine if its a panic stop and then applies maximum brake force at the wheels.

Sometimes people don't apply full brakes in a panic situation for whatever reason. BA helps in that. BAS Plus systems on the Merc S Class factos the car's forward radar system into the equation as wel..

EBD is Electronics Brakeforce Distribution. You already know how ABS works. It pulses the wheels which are about to lock. What EBD does is vary brake force around the car. It can detect which wheels have the most traction and therefore, are most effective in braking and give maximum braking force on those wheels.

Traction Control is another upgrade on the ABS+EBD system. What this does is keep track of the relative rotational speeds of the wheels and to detect wheelspin caused by understeer, oversteer and loss of traction (ice, water, oil slicks etc). It does this by selectively braking wheels and/or limiting engine power by various means.

Of course, it cannot be as effective as Electronic Stability Program systems, which have access to a lot more sensors (G sensors, yaw sensors, steering angle sensors and all that). ESP has a different goal too - it's job is to keep the car travelling in the direction the driver is pointing it at. TCS is content at just preventing wheelspin.

The pecking order is like this : ABS -> EBD -> TCS. ESP is an additional system isn't limited to the ABS wheel speed sensors for input.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 15th April 2009 at 15:01.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
I am still confused among the three BA (Brake Assist), EBD and Traction Control
Search and you shall find.

Brake Assist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electronic brakeforce distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Traction control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15th April 2009, 15:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi all ,

I have bought a fiesta 1.6 sxi with abs and ebd. Does any one know if one can check if it's working fine ? i mean is it possible to check (without doing anything crazy) if it gets activated or not ? my question may be little foolish. I know you can't check the functioning of airbags without the front collision but thought checking of abs and ebd may be possibel , need your advise guys !

regrads

amol
Let me suggest what I tried since I was not familiar on how ABS would work when I bought the Civic, I found an open and desolate stretch of straight road outside the city, made sure that there were no vehicles coming in the opposite direction (it was a single lane) and no vehicles behind me for as far as I could see and then did a panic stop from about 60 km/hr, I could see the ABS flashing on the panel and I could feel the trademark shudder/feedback on the brake pedal.

But please, please make sure that there are no vehicles for about 1 km on either side since nobody would expect a car to stop in the middle of the road, and make sure that it is daytime
Old 15th April 2009, 16:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
the rs has only abs , no ebd and traction control in india.
well thats true vRS only comes equipped with ABS for braking. However i'm always confused on the ASR part. Some say it has it and some say it has been eliminted from the indian spec vRS.
Old 17th April 2009, 22:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I could see the ABS flashing on the panel and I could feel the trademark shudder/feedback on the brake pedal.
I have a magnum with abs the only time the abs light comes on is when i turn on the ignition i have never ever seen it light up when i brake does that mean that its not working?
also when i apply the brakes at high speed the steering vibrates/shudders is that normal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks