Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 19:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS with EBD?

I believe EBD is helpful in scenarios where one set of wheels are on the gravel and other on the tarmac. (Like in a shoulder, where the right hand wheels may be gravel and the left hand wheels on tarmac). In this scenario, with EBD, the wheels on the gravel might slip faster and needs more pulsations, while the wheels on the tarmac may require pulsation of a different frequency. This is attained by changing the brake pressure being applied to the four wheels independently.

Additionally, I have also read that EBD may be two channel, i.e only for the front wheels and that rear wheels might just have ABS without EBD. EBD working on the four wheels are also known as 4 channel EBDs
Old 18th September 2013, 19:32   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Source: Wikipedia

EBD is always hand-in-hand with ABS. I don't think it is always giving sole in a car. The EBD just modulates the brake pressure to each wheel by sensors that sense the wheel speed and grip it is having at that point of time.

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I dont think so,I have a Scorpio,and it has ABS only,there is no mention of EBD anywhere in the Manual or anywhere else.
However in my Linea its specifically mentioned ABS+EBD.
Infact EBD has a separate error code and a light associated in the console.
It just means that EBD does not come alone, but comes along with ABS. ABS, on the other hand, may come independently.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 19:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
It just means that EBD does not come alone, but comes along with ABS. ABS, on the other hand, may come independently.
Yes that is correct.
It cannot be EBD alone,it has to be ABS+EBD
However it can be just ABS in your vehicle without EBD.
Old 19th September 2013, 01:58   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yes that is correct.
It cannot be EBD alone,it has to be ABS+EBD
However it can be just ABS in your vehicle without EBD.
Is there any use for a car without EBD but only equipped with ABS? I thought ABS+EBD is better than a sole ABS feature.

I am new to this so asking it again!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 06:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
"The job of the EBD as a subsystem of the ABS system is to control the effective adhesion utilization by the rear wheels. The pressure of the rear wheels is approximated to the ideal brake force distribution in a partial braking operation. To do so, the conventional brake design is modified in the direction of rear axle overbraking, and the components of the ABS are used. EBD reduces the strain on the hydraulic brake force proportioning valve in the vehicle. EBD optimizes the brake design with regard to: adhesion utilization; driving stability; wear; temperature stress; and pedal force." EBD may work in conjunction with ABS and Electronic Stability Control ("ESC") to minimize yaw accelerations during turns. ESC compares the steering wheel angle to vehicle turning rate using a yaw rate sensor. "Yaw" is the vehicle's rotation around its vertical center of gravity (turning left or right). If the yaw sensor detects more/less yaw than the steering wheel angle should create, the car is understeering or oversteering and ESC activates one of the front or rear brakes to rotate the car back onto its intended course. For example, if a car is making a left turn and begins to understeer (the car plows forward to the outside of the turn) ESC activates the left rear brake, which will help turn the car left. The sensors are so sensitive, and the actuation is so quick that the system may correct direction before the driver reacts. ABS helps prevent wheel lock-up and EBD helps apply appropriate brake force to make ESC work effectively and easily.

Source: Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...e_distribution
For the reasons unknown, few companies are cutting out EBD in their cars. But, Personally, I would prefer to have ABS+EBD in my car as it definitely enhances the safety.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 06:50   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
For the reasons unknown, few companies are cutting out EBD in their cars. But, Personally, I would prefer to have ABS+EBD in my car as it definitely enhances the safety.
I feel it is cost cutting measures by companies to save that extra buck. Extra sensors, equipment, calibration etc so why create extra headache, let's skip EBD and only give ABS. People will be happy and no questions would raise. Awareness is lacking else every manufacturer wouldn't dare omit safety features in a car/bus/truck.

No manufacturer in India cares about occupant safety rather 'Kitna Deti Hai' question is only answered.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 08:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I feel it is cost cutting measures by companies to save that extra buck. Extra sensors, equipment, calibration etc so why create extra headache, let's skip EBD and only give ABS. People will be happy and no questions would raise. Awareness is lacking else every manufacturer wouldn't dare omit safety features in a car/bus/truck.

No manufacturer in India cares about occupant safety rather 'Kitna Deti Hai' question is only answered.

Anurag.
It sure is a cost cutting method. Just Found out Ford Ecosport and VW Polo are offering ABS+EBD and host of other safety features in their exported editions, But not in India.

http://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo/t..._overview.html

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/EcoSport/Safety
Old 19th September 2013, 08:08   #68
BANNED

Quote:
It sure is a cost cutting method. Just Found out Ford Ecosport and VW Polo are offering ABS+EBD and host of other safety features in their exported editions, But not in India.
I won't blame the manufactures alone here for this issue. The Government of India is also not forcing manufacturers for providing safety features in the cars sold.

SIAM, ARAI etc.. what are these guys doing sitting? They very well know the importance of these safety features but still neglect and skip it off while selling in India. No company had the guys to fill around with respect to safety when exporting vehicles and selling to the foreign market.

Not fair but both the public and government must wake up.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th September 2013 at 08:11.
Old 19th September 2013, 08:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I won't blame the manufactures alone here for this issue. The Government of India is also not forcing manufacture
That's another issue and let's all may force the Gov't to make a mandatory rule on safety features viz. airbags, ABS+EBD etc on every car. Although that may cost a little more, the competition would make the companies to lower the prices after a while.

But as of now, they are charging the premium amounts for the top variants and still compromising on safety features. I think that's really a bad attitude.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any use for a car without EBD but only equipped with ABS? I thought ABS+EBD is better than a sole ABS feature.

I am new to this so asking it again!

Anurag.
Why not;a lot of cars in our Market Come with Just ABS.
ABS+EBD is better,but just ABS is way better than no ABS.
Old 15th September 2015, 12:43   #71

Quote:

http://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo/t..._overview.html

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/EcoSport/Safety
Hi, I am new here, planning to buy my first hatch and have fallen in love with VW Polo after I drove it for a good 800+ KMS. If I am not wrong, Polo now comes with ABS+EBD, isn't it? Drove a friend's Highline 1.2 (P) and it says it has ABS+EBD. In fact, this is one of the reasons I have my eyes on Polo.

help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks