Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 23:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
I have a magnum with abs the only time the abs light comes on is when i turn on the ignition i have never ever seen it light up when i brake does that mean that its not working?
also when i apply the brakes at high speed the steering vibrates/shudders is that normal

First point .. please be worried only if the light stays on - that means the ABS unit is not working (sensor trouble and such)

The shuddering steering means a warped brake disc. IN most cases you can get away with skimming it on a lathe - but in some cases you might have to change the disc/rotor itself.
Old 18th April 2009, 00:31   #32
BHPian

thanks for the info. whats a warped brake disk my car has all 4 wheel disk brakes and the disks look ok but have lines running in a circular fasion over them more obvious on the front disks
Old 18th April 2009, 09:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
thanks for the info. whats a warped brake disk my car has all 4 wheel disk brakes and the disks look ok but have lines running in a circular fasion over them more obvious on the front disks
Shuddering steering means you have a problem with one - or both of your FRONT discs only.

Take it to the service centre - they will diagnose it for you... replacing the discs is a half hour job.. getting it done on lathe may take a day... or two - depends on the traffic at the service centre and the lathe centre. The Lathe will cost you only 500 bucks or so. While the discs can cost between 1.5-2k .. or more.( dont know the Bowtie pricing)

They 'might' change the brake pads as well.
Old 18th April 2009, 12:48   #34
aseemjohari

After reading the compleate post...m confused..!

i own Swift VDi(ABS) 2007 model..!
1) is my car equiped with ALL FOUR WHEELS with ABS.....??
2) is my car have EBD IN ALL FOR WHEELS...???

Old 18th April 2009, 13:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
well thats true vRS only comes equipped with ABS for braking. However i'm always confused on the ASR part. Some say it has it and some say it has been eliminted from the indian spec vRS.
there is no traction control /ASR on the RS in india. positive!

@aseemjohari- all the wheels will have abs and ebd , even the spare wheel! lol.

Last edited by siddartha : 18th April 2009 at 13:15.
siddartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 13:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemjohari View Post
After reading the compleate post...m confused..!

i own Swift VDi(ABS) 2007 model..!
1) is my car equiped with ALL FOUR WHEELS with ABS.....??
2) is my car have EBD IN ALL FOR WHEELS...???
Yes the Swift has ABS & EBD on all four wheels.
Old 20th April 2009, 18:34   #37
aseemjohari

thanks for the reply...
but some where in other websites i had read..swift have abs only in front two wheels.

Old 20th April 2009, 19:42   #38
BHPian

ABS only on front wheels would be dangerous. In an emergency the rear wheels would lock and it would be equivalent to pulling the E-Brake. I have heard of only rear-wheel ABS on some SUVs and light trucks, but not of only front wheel ABS.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:42   #39
BHPian

ABS upgrade for Skoda

How far is it feasible to upgrade my 1.9 Tdi with ABS? Anyone has done it or any pointers on cost and feasibility pls!

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2009 at 16:48. Reason: Please continue here
Old 21st April 2009, 16:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemjohari View Post
thanks for the reply...
but some where in other websites i had read..swift have abs only in front two wheels.
Not true. I have put up the schematic diagram of the Swift's ABS system on the following link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1270324
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbc View Post
How far is it feasible to upgrade my 1.9 Tdi with ABS? Anyone has done it or any pointers on cost and feasibility pls!
I do not think it is it feasible in India with after market fitments. If there is something to be done, only the manufacturer can do it - it might not be cost effective or possible.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:07   #42
BHPian

in simple terms, traction control cuts power off to drive wheels ( either front or rear) in case if they loose grip of the road and spin on snow or wet conditions. Because if the car is skiding, acceleartion only makes it worse. So when the TCS is activated, car wont accelerate even if you push the gas pedal (accelerator) to the floor. Once the sensors make sure that wheels are not spinning, then crank shaft will be engaged to axle again.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

There is no crankshaft/axle business except for in new generation AWD systems. In simple RWD/FWD TCS systems, there are two methods:

a) Control spark. Cut off engine power when the car is losing grip.
b) Selective braking of wheels. Bring the car into line by applying the brake on selected wheels.

You can install systems with only the first type of control from the aftermarket. Cost will be around 50K + customs + labor for a fully kitted out unit from Racelogic. Utilizes the ABS wheel speed sensors.

Retrofitting ABS to a car is... difficult.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS with EBD?

Bumping up an old thread since I have a related question......

Would anyone be able to highlight possible downsides of EBD not being present? Let's say, a car with ABS, EBD & BA versus a car with only ABS & BA?

My question arises out of the fact that I recently found out that the Rapid does not come with EBD (Vento doesn't either) - had always been under the impression that both went hand in hand!
Old 25th July 2012, 14:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS with EBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
@aseemjohari- all the wheels will have abs and ebd , even the spare wheel! lol.
There is no physical way to check but one way possible is to turn the ignition on and when the system does a self check, ABS light will come on. Ensures, you car has ABS. Well, EBD ensures that the wheel with most traction gets the most braking, thereby effectively assisting you in stopping earlier or controlled stopping. Otherwise, I dont think we brake everyother day on two wheels(stunts) only to make a really huge difference.

Bumping on this thread mainly for siddartha's comment!!
OT: and
Sirji, I hope this comment doesn't end up in the "Quriky logic and comments by Petrol and Non-Petrol heads thread".

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 25th July 2012 at 14:35.

Most Viewed