Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 21:37   #31
BHPian

Re: You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident

Off topic alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaford View Post
I have had a dash cam for 10 years. Not once has it drained my battery because I set it to be on only when car is running.
Yes this can be more clean, I will have to check the fuse settings, the one video I watched was using the always on fuse for hardwiring. Will explore this more in future, for now I have used the USB connector provided.
masterChief007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 21:57   #32
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
I was in a similar situation once and the locals themselves asked me to go otherwise it will be a problem once police comes.
Can we learn more about your experience so that we are better informed in the unfortunate case that something happens to one of us?
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 05:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Can we learn more about your experience so that we are better informed in the unfortunate case that something happens to one of us?
Great question! Shouldn’t drink driving be a criminal offence already? Why would the cops put charges on the OP driving sanely? Is it because he has insurance driving a nice car?

Also then should you wait for the police or drive off? What if the lethargic or unscrupulous cops put a hit and run on the OP? Should we ensure that it is recorded the other party is drunk?

This is all so confusing.
Old 10th February 2023, 06:54   #34
BHPian

Re: You can never be too safe - Taigun's Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post
I have requested both the insurance and the service center for the list of parts changed and parts repaired so waiting on that.
My 2016 Tata Tiago went thru a similar damage in Sept 2022 when a truck brushed off the side at a signal and damaged right side doors and in process, pushed the bonnet below bumper of the front truck. Amount quoted to insurance was in range of 1L. I had to pay around 4K out of pocket as the insurance didn't give replacement for some sound deadening pad, right side mirror (preexisting damage) and processing charges.

So, I believe if you have zero dep insurance, you are mostly covered from any and all out of pocket expenses and in no way you should be spending 20k. It probably is the polishing that the ASS is padding the bill.

Take care and stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaford View Post
Great question! Shouldn’t drink driving be a criminal offence already? Why would the cops put charges on the OP driving sanely? Is it because he has insurance driving a nice car?

Also then should you wait for the police or drive off? What if the lethargic or unscrupulous cops put a hit and run on the OP? Should we ensure that it is recorded the other party is drunk?

This is all so confusing.
Less work for the police people to now find the guy, get statement from him, arrest him on drunk driving charge, then wait for him to get discharged from hospital, chargesheet, court appearances (for the OP as well)

Easier all around to just accept blame and everyone goes their way, OP to the ASS, drunk rider to hospital, and the police are free to catch other criminals.
I just hope OP has ample proof to support his original truth if the time comes. However, I doubt if the insurance would be paid to OP if fir were to be filed with injury to third party mentioned. That's a hell of paperwork and legwork better left unexplored.

Last edited by Torq : 10th February 2023 at 06:59.
Old 18th February 2023, 10:59   #35
BHPian

Thank you all for you valuable inputs, here is a quick and final update on my Taigun saga.

Update :
11/02/2023:

So i finally got the call on 10/02 that the car's insurance has been approved and i could take the vehicle, I called the service center VW Alandur, and they called me the next day and let me know that i could pick up the vehicle.

Went around 3pm in the afternoon, and lo and behold there she was just like the day that i first took her out of the showroom, I had a friend with me for an extra pair of eyes, we went around and up and down the car, the service center had done a pretty good work of paint matching, there were no blemishes and we couldn't spot the difference between the repainted parts and the original parts. They even stuck back the accessory window shade for the doors, (i was worried that i would have to get all 4 replaced.)

On the day the car was dropped off the service Manager Mr. Selvakumar did tell me that they would get the job done as per VW's standards and am very happy to say that they in-fact did exactly that.

Other than a small nick on the rear wheel, which I doubt anything could have been done there was no marks. ( The rear wheel ding now serves as a reminder).

Also on the polishing part as well, I decided to go ahead and get it done, as god forbid the car turned out looking like 2 different shades of grey.

I also wanted the car's 2nd service to be done but the delay in getting updates prompted me to take the car on 11/02 drive it around so see how things were and return it back on 13/02 for the second service.

During the time at the workshop the android auto was updated and I had also raised issue with the door beading and the A/C for which the service manager did inform me of a S/W update which was done, am yet to test it out fully in the city.

Costs:
Now on the financial front am happy to say that fellow bhpians inputs did really help put my mind at ease.

Total bill amount: 1,44,595
Insurance cover: 1,37,615
My expense: 6,980

Now a breakdown of the 6980 is as below:
Surface Refinement (Polishing i guess): 5,698.22
Consumable Charges : 1,045.78

So technically my out of pocket expense was only 1045, had i not opted for the polishing, but considering the damage, this was a bargain.

P.S After going through the bill also realized that whatever happens never let the headlamps be damaged, its cheaper to have 2 door's (9613 per door) replaced rather than the headlamps (Rs.27,065)

Conclusion :

Really happy that we have gotten out from the crash unharmed, and the legal issues have been resolved. Also thankful that the crash didn't dent my pockets.

Thanks to all the Team bhp member's for your valuable inputs.

Special thanks to the VW Alandur service center and also the bodyshop manager Mr.Selvakumar and the body shop technician Raja Sekar for giving me back the Taigun like brand new.

Here was some after pics:
Attached Thumbnails
You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-whatsapp-image-20230218-9.56-am.jpeg  

You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-whatsapp-image-20230218-9.56.46-am.jpeg  

You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-whatsapp-image-20230218-9.56.45-am-1.jpeg  

You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-whatsapp-image-20230218-9.56.45-am.jpeg  

You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-whatsapp-image-20230218-9.56.44-am.jpeg  

You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-whatsapp-image-20230218-9.56.43-am.jpeg  

al90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 22:23   #36

Re: You can never be too safe - Taigun's Accident

There appears to be more complexity to this situation. I recently viewed a Malayalam movie called "Mukundan Unni and Associates," which revolves around the same theme of utilizing accident insurance to carry out an elaborate money-making scheme. The film portrays the collaboration between accident lawyers, the police, hospitals, and victims.

In this scheme, the police will transform a case in which a victim is at fault due to carelessness into an accident, placing the blame on the car owner. In the case mentioned by the original poster, the biker was unreachable for several days (likely to eliminate evidence of drunkenness). They collaborate with victims to alter the story. The movie shows how they manipulate FIRs to ensure that insurance claims are processed promptly, and the claim amount is settled between the victims, police, and insurance lawyers. Police every use scare tactics to discourage pressing charges for road accidents.

This is not something unheard of. This incident should be reported as is and be made public to avoid witness from becoming hostile. Not filing an FIR is blatant disregard for the law. The original poster will most likely have to make several trips before a settlement is reached, but that is a safer option than complying with the officer's demand to take responsibility. Considering the very vexing situation the OP has put himself through, I would be more concerned about how the legal process will play out than the car or it's condition. Sometimes what we take lightly could end up becoming achilles heels.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd February 2023 at 00:09. Reason: Spacing for better readability
fiza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:43   #37
BHPian

Good to hear that you received your car back in perfect condition.

A friends father ended up in a similar situation in Kerala recently. Good thing for them was that that were in an area with local support. The two wheeler guy had no insurance, helmet and they closed the whole issue by paying just 6000 in compensation. (they were pressing to file FIR and a case, so the other guy was set to loose with no valid documents in hand). They also made sure they had the settlement written on a stamp paper and signed by both parties.
d.w.w. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 18:15   #38

I would like to add my experience and echo the same fact that VW Taigun is probably the safest car out there for multipurpose use. Be it city drive or in highway, the safety is non compromised.
Here is my experience with Taigun meeting accident with an Autorickshaw.
20.03.2023 -
I was going to office and driving on a normal speed of 60 kmph and suddenly an autorickshaw decides to change the lane leaving no time for me to react.
My car hit the auto from the behind and my left side got a hit and the auto, just dragged along the road due to the impact.
Since the auto had huge pile of coconuts, it didn't topple.
Luckily nothing happened to the rickshaw driver.
Suddenly a lot of crowd gathered and helped auto rickshaw driver and called ambulance and cops.
After about 10 minutes, the cops came and cleared the crowd and recorded the incident, Ambulance came in and took the driver to nearby hospital.
Cops then asked me to drive the vehicle to the police station and I obliged and dropped the vehicle at PS.

Hospital
After submitting the vehicle at the PS, we rushed to the hospital and consulted the doctors, and as usual routine tests and check-up were suggested.
After a complete check up and 2 days of rest in the hospital the driver was discharged.

Police Stn and Settlement

We took the driver to the police stn, recorded our settlement and cleared the incident by paying 45K for auto repair + couple of days of monetary loss.
As we had taken care of the hospitalization expenses, the driver family was ok to settle the matter here itself.

Now comes the problem.

I had taken the insurance from Digit and their website doesn't list the authorised service centre PPS motors in Hyderabad and they have some multibrand garages for repair.
Automovil called me and booked the slot for vehicle drop.
On 23rd March morning, their person came and took the vehicle. I was under the impression, it may be a car service like Bosch. But somehow my mind wanted to check the showroom before they open my vehicle for service.
I went to their place after lunch and found my vehicle in a local garage named Carz, I immediately called Digit customer care and they arranged call back from their local team and mentioned to drop the vehicle at PPS Khajaguda.
All this while the coolant level is very low and coolant was leaking. Carz team helped in filling up the coolant with water and i drove the vehicle to PPS Motors Khajaguda.

The showroom people were fast enough in raising the vehicle repair order and I did mention the engine coolant issues, but since I have opted for all the add on covers, my repair will be fully covered by the insurance (I should write a detailed write up on the importance of Insurance and their add on covers).

People here, any suggestions if its better to keep the vehicle after accident or better to trade off and buy new?
Car is just 1 year old. I originally planned to keep this for 4-5 years.
And how is resale market for Taigun?
Attached Thumbnails
You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-a66fb8509eb34c33987418dacc239c19.jpg  

You can never be too safe - VW Taigun accident-b469c665f6214bc491b71b69d185917d.jpg  

Most Viewed