Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators. Are these safe enough?
Yes, they are big enough and adequately safe. 57 35.19%
No, they are too small and need to be full length to be safe. 105 64.81%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2023, 21:02   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators | Are these safe enough?

I hate this trend of slimmer and slimmer brake lights. Thankfully this is now going away and we are getting a full bar LED strips.

It is struggle to notice the Safari/Harrier brake light because it is so small, it is just a line. In the afternoon when sun is shining right above the cars, only thing that is noticeable is the HMSL. Same with Ertiga or Baleno, which has like 3 dots each side.

The problem is, in highway I accustom to focus on tail lamps alone after sometime, because almost no trucks have HMSL.

I absolutely support making bigger tail lamps and indicators. What's the point of cool looking tail lamp if person behind you can't understand whether you are stopping or not.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 07:44   #17
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Hi vikash49,

Mahindra should have also increased the height of the rear indicators on XUV700.

According to the automotive standards, there will be a mention of the certain minimum lumens (with a distance of say 1 meter from the source) that should be given out by these indicators.
Off topic, but the Creta twins' front indicators are the worst offenders in this regard. They're halogen, dull and placed where one one usually expect only fog lights.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 09:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
It is struggle to notice the Safari/Harrier brake light because it is so small, it is just a line. In the afternoon when sun is shining right above the cars, only thing that is noticeable is the HMSL. Same with Ertiga or Baleno, which has like 3 dots each side.
True. First time I noticed it, both me and the owner were disapointed with the tiny brake light area, compared to the large parking light area. They could have atleast made the parking light area also lit up like the XUV300.

I also have started to look at the HMSL to see if they are really braking or not.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 15:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators | Are these safe enough?

Every car homologated in our country has specific requirements for the luminosity of every external indication lamp all the way till the pilot lamp. Like mentioned by another member there are specifications on the luminosity and the aperture angles. As long as that is adhered to, size doesn't matter. During daylight it is indeed a big tough to notice especially under incident sunlight and if the lights are made bright enough for daylight it will cause a nightmare when dark. Due to the influx of LED signaling, smaller size bulbs satisify the same luminosity of larger bulbs and hence they would be built smaller, but that's just a mental feeling that they aren't bright enough or unsafe. It is the flash of the indicator light that grabs attention and not it's size.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 11:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post

P.S. And unlike what the video says, AX3, AX5 AX7 variants will not be getting sequential indicators retrofitted from Mahindra as this feature has now been officially removed from the spec list. Only AX7L variants will be getting the replacements on a later date.
I noticed this few times on cars in front and assumed that this is case of Mahindra being in short supply of sequential indicators and those are waiting to be retrofitted on supply. It surely is small if that's the final config and a full length would have been better option. However as such they are visible even in day time and didn't seem like a safety issue to me. But this is just a subjective opinion.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 22:55   #21
BHPian

I dont understand what Mahindra will save by this cost cutting. I mean remove some ICE features but why compromise on the safety. But as per an SA in the local Mahindra showroom this is due to the semiconductor shortage. For the cars that dont have the full length indicator, the service station will fit them onto the cars once the parts arrive. Have to see what will happen.
Old 4th May 2023, 14:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
All other variants like AX3, AX5 and AX7 dont have them. So I was expecting my AX7 Petrol AT (non L) to come with full length static indicators
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaholic@2727 View Post
I dont understand what Mahindra will save by this cost cutting.
There is no rule to regulate the size of the indicator, so you can't blame any manufacturer. Ofcourse there are guidelines for the minimum Lumen and I'm sure the manufacturers follow the guidelines.

Now, coming to your main issue, yes they are safe and adequate as far as visibility goes. Though I purchased the L variant, I had to live with a similar one for eight/ nine months and it was never an issue.

This was not done to cut cost, but this feature along with the second key fob was postponed due to chip shortage in 2022. From the later half of Feb 23, M&M have started despatching L variants with RSL and second key fob.

The parts are available with most of the dealers and you can get them for Rs. 8500 and it all depends on your relationship with your dealership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks