Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators. Are these safe enough?
Yes, they are big enough and adequately safe. 57 35.19%
No, they are too small and need to be full length to be safe. 105 64.81%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators | Are these safe enough?

As per Mahindra's website, only the top AX7 Luxury variant of the XUV 700 comes with Sequential Indicators like these:

All other variants like AX3, AX5 and AX7 dont have them. So I was expecting my AX7 Petrol AT (non L) to come with full length static indicators but I was disappointed to see that in reality, the rear indicators are like this

Name:  indicator2.gif
Views: 1283
Size:  234.0 KB

Only the tiny corner portions of the indicators are lighting up and the door portion of the indicator strip does not light up at all.

As you can see in the video, these lighted portions are not only very small but also on the far corners and hence barely visible from straight behind position. And hence, could easily be missed during day time and cause a safety risk.

Should Mahindra not be providing at least static indicators for the whole strip? Pls share your thoughts.

P.S. And unlike what the video says, AX3, AX5 AX7 variants will not be getting sequential indicators retrofitted from Mahindra as this feature has now been officially removed from the spec list. Only AX7L variants will be getting the replacements on a later date.

Last edited by vikash49 : 2nd February 2023 at 11:00. Reason: clarity
vikash49 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:17   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators | Are these safe enough?

Hi vikash49,

Mahindra should have also increased the height of the rear indicators on XUV700.

According to the automotive standards, there will be a mention of the certain minimum lumens (with a distance of say 1 meter from the source) that should be given out by these indicators.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:24   #3

I've seen many XUV7OOs and these small turn signals are just fine but what I've noticed is that the rear ones are not in sync with ones on the ORVM and when they are turned on it looks like two cars have their turn signals on. Could you please check on that one? Thanks.
Manualpurist is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:30   #4
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I do agree that turn indicators on cars need to be bigger and ideally, span the entire length of the tail light. With the earlier simpler cars with halogens all around, this hardly used to be an issue but with newer cars with full or partial LEDs, the turn indicators have become slimmer. While them being slim is not an issue but the limited length in cars like the XUV 7OO or the Taigun does make them a wee bit more difficult to be spotted. Pretty sure that there are least a couple more similar examples.

Now, if the question is, 'Are they safe enough?', I'd say Yes, they are. Personally, I never fail to not notice them. But, would bigger turn indicators be safer? Yes again. In the absence of any regulation w.r.t. the length, I am pretty sure that examples like these are here to stay. While I would like to appeal to the government to come up with a regulation for the same, going by their record on handling matters related to vehicles in general, I am a bit skeptical about the same.

Voted yes.
AYP is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:56   #5
BHPian

I'm on the fence as far as this is concerned but voted No because they could have just put in non sequential ones in the other variants. Seems to be a very petty thing to do and Mahindra need not have cut costs here.
Roy.S is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Same for scorpio-N. Very small indicators on all variants.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Pet peeve, ever since I saw the Taigun's tiny indicator and brake lights. One could easily miss them in harsh afternoons.

Only argument is that newer LED lights are stronger than the old halogen lights which even if they had larger surface area the light emitted is lesser than LEDs. But other than that, it is a pity that nowadays smaller lights = cooler design. Except for the XUV300, most new cars with LED lights have ridiculously small sized lights. The parking lights will be large sized, but the indicators, reversing and brake lights will be atmost finger sized.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:03   #8
BHPian

Hi vikash49,

I found an Performance Requirements for Direction Indicators for Motor Vehicles from ARAI website by google search. I am attaching this document here. Also I am sharing a few screen-shots from this document which will be helpful. Please feel free to go through this document fully.

The indicator intensity in candela is given in this table:
Name:  RearIndicatorIntensity.PNG
Views: 1137
Size:  75.8 KB

The rear indicator angles are shown in this diagram:
Mahindra XUV700's tiny rear turn indicators | Are these safe enough?-rearindicatorangles.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PUB_10~19~2011~1~05~35~PM~3_AIS-012_Part_5_Rev1_F.pdf (542.7 KB, 181 views)
bobbyblr is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

How does it matter? I don't see any issues with these indicators? They are definitely bigger than the ones that you get on Marutis or many other cars of today's age and era. They are clear lens and one can easily spot them even during broad day light.
amtak is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manualpurist View Post
I've seen many XUV7OOs and these small turn signals are just fine but what I've noticed is that the rear ones are not in sync with ones on the ORVM and when they are turned on it looks like two cars have their turn signals on. Could you please check on that one? Thanks.
Nice observation!

It is programed in such a way that when it works as a sequential turn indicator, the first LED of the light element mounted in the boot door lights up in sync with the LED on the ORVMs. The remaining LEDs of the rear indicator then light up in succession. So by the time the fag end LED is on, the LED in the ORVM is already glowing.

However, without the sequential turn indicators, only the fag end of the indicator lights up. So as per the programed logic, there appears to be a delay in operation between the LEDs lighting up at the rear and the ORVM.

Cheers.
wild child is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 12:47   #11
BHPian

I think only the upper variants of XUV700 get the sequential turn indicator not the base model. So in place of the sequential turn indicators the lower variants should at least get the full length (compared to the parking tail lamp) indicators for better visibility. In case of rain or fog, these small indicators might not be enough to ‘indicate’ the driver’s intention to the vehicles following.

The Fortuner also had a very small rear indicator which Toyota replaced with a full length one in the facelift/Legender.

Name:  fortuner  Copy  Coy1.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  163.1 KB
dolphinjazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 19:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Was behind an XUV 700 yesterday and I did notice the left indicator blinking. I recollect so well because I kept thinking why was it not sequential (knowing that the semi conductor chip shortage issues) and wondering if it was the top end version or the lower versions.

But yeah, fret not; it was very well visible.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 20:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I noticed it yesterday, and my first reaction was, Why Mahindra?

It looked very tiny but was visible nevertheless, though does look funny on such a big car.

Last edited by AtheK : 3rd February 2023 at 20:19.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 20:05   #14
HMV
BHPian

I don’t find any issue with them. They are visible perfectly. What I find concerning though is the placement of indicators alongside the front fog lamps in some cars (e.g. New Creta, Alcazar etc.). The other day I was driving and couldn’t see a Creta (newer model) indicating on the opposite lane to make a turn towards my side due to a raised divider separating the lanes, effectively hiding the low-placed indicators.

Last edited by HMV : 3rd February 2023 at 20:07.
HMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 20:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinjazz View Post
I think only the upper variants of XUV700 get the sequential turn indicator not the base model. So in place of the sequential turn indicators the lower variants should at least get the full length indicators for better visibility. In case of rain or fog, these small indicators might not be enough to ‘indicate’ the driver’s intention to the vehicles following.
Exactly my point! Except the top Luxury variant all other variants only get these tiny ones. Why leave the the side strip blank?

Name:  indicator2.gif
Views: 1057
Size:  234.0 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks