Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 18:41   #16
BHPian

Re: On the blinding headlights of new vehicles

In my experience the halogen lights in SUVs and at high beams did hurt but never hurt this badly as do new LED/HID white lights.
If height of lights was the only factor, we would have been complaining about scooters lights earlier as well. I don't remember that.

The current set of factory fitted lights are just too bright and do pose safety concerns. It is becoming a menace on road than ever before and authorities need to address this somehow.

The best place is to nip in the bud aka manufacturing stage.

The scenario is very similar to the big question why cars are allowed to go to speeds of 200-250kmph when the max limit is around 100 or 120 kmph. These are matters of safety and people's lives and there are no compelling reasons to not limit the speeds to 100/120 kmph.
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 19:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
In my experience the halogen lights in SUVs and at high beams did hurt but never hurt this badly as do new LED/HID white lights.
If height of lights was the only factor, we would have been complaining about scooters lights earlier as well. I don't remember that.

The current set of factory fitted lights are just too bright and do pose safety concerns. It is becoming a menace on road than ever before and authorities need to address this somehow.

The best place is to nip in the bud aka manufacturing stage.
Bright factory fitted lights are at least executed scientifically. It is the people who need to be educated to not use high beam.

The free market will ensure a bigger proliferation of unscientific aftermarket alternatives if the headlights are regulated as suggested by you at a manufacturer level.

My proposal would be better enforcement against high beam users in urban limits + fining aftermarket installations

__________________________________________________ ________

Just to add a point to my previous post (not as a response to the one quoted):

To the argument about unmarked speed breakers, potholes, broken roads, unlit hazards etc etc., necessitating high beam/ strong headlights, I would say drive slower. You will have more reaction time if you're doing 60 instead of 80 on an unknown road at night.
ashivas89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 19:23   #18
BHPian

I had sent a mail on 24th Nov 2020 to all the automotive manufacturers about this High beam & LED headlights issue.

Below is the content of the mail:

Quote:
TO WHOMSOEVER IT MAY CONCERN.

@RTO-BANGALORE
Please educate the drivers on when to use the high-beam in headlights. High-beam is only meant for highways and not in city limits.
Issue a warning to the driver for the first offence & fine for the consecutive offence.

@ALL-AUTOMOBILE-MANUFACTURERS
On High-Beam Headlights:
Please sound an alarm (1 beep for every 30-60 seconds) when the vehicle speed is below 60 KMPH and the driver switches on the high-beam. The alarm sound to be switched off automatically when the vehicle speed is more than 60 KMPH, which means the driver is on a highway or there is no other vehicle before him/her.

On Cool White LED Headlights:
You don't need to follow German car manufacturers regarding the CCT Colour of the LEDs in headlights.
White LEDs are made up of Royal Blue LEDs with Phosphor coating on top of the LED package..
Greater than 5000K CCT has the blue wavelength and this is not good for human eyes.
I have seen that all of the automotive manufacturers in the world have been using LEDs greater than 6500K CCT for the LED headlights.
I have experienced one day an Honda Activa person had switched on the High beam for the LED headlight & was coming opposite to me. I got blinded for a few seconds and could not see the road properly.
Also some manufacturers (Kia & MG Motors) are using these high CCT LEDs for the Fog Lights. As we all know, white light will not pass through dense fog which is a few feet above the road surface. These LED fog lights should be in Warm white (<3000K CCT) in colour.
So I recommended using LEDs of CCT less than or equal to 5000K in all LED headlights. I think anywhere between 3500K to 4500K CCT is good as it will come in the range of the halogen bulb. You have to increase the wattage or current or number of LEDs when using 3500K to 4500K CCT LEDs as these LEDs will provide lesser lumens when compared to 6500K LEDs because of the thicker phosphor material.

@MARUTISUZUKI
You being the country's largest manufacturer of cars should not follow German automotive companies for LED headlight CCT colour.

@MAHINDRA
You being the country's second largest manufacturer of cars should have thought about these factors in headlight systems.

@TATA
You being rated for safety in Global NCAP should implement this High-beam alarm system.

@HONDA
Please educate the two wheeler riders not to switch ON the high-beam unnecessarily.

@ARAI
How did you allow the use of greater than 6000K CCT LEDs in headlight systems?
Only Maruti Suzuki responded after reminding all manufactures thrice.
Below is the response:
Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Maruti Suzuki.

We have received your communication regarding below mentioned concern, shared with MSIL.

Our valuable customers like you are free to exchange their ideas for further development of Maruti products and services. Feedback and suggestions always motivates us to do further improvements.

Thanking & assuring you of our best services at all times.

Regards,

Team Maruti Suzuki
I am sorry if I have offended the fans of their respective automotive manufacturers.
bobbyblr is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 20:27   #19
BHPian

Just back from a quick errand and paid specific attention to the high beam / low beam argument. I noticed that with the white LEDs even at low beam it was quite difficult to look at the vehicle directly compared to how it was for a conventional halogen set up. Same for scooters such as Activa n likes.
One cannot even properly see the grille area of these cars and cannot read the number plate at all. Now this was all about factory fitted set up.

To my astonishment, even came across an Auto rickshaw that had a after market combo - one halogen light and one white LED, and trust me the white LED was at least 3 times brighter making it impossible to look at the rickshaw.

As pointed out by @bobbyblr, these are a health hazard too and of course a big safety hazard.

Wonder if some high profile accident some day, which investigators will trace down to these dazzling lights , would trigger an action against these? After all thats how our country works.
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 20:30   #20
BHPian

I cannot control the behaviour of others.

I just ensure that my own headlights (low beam) never, EVER, hit the ORVMs of the vehicle in front of me.

I have driven at night, both India and overseas, on low beam. Included in these is low-beam 140kph drives in Saudi and UAE. Never needed high-beam or even these new LED/HID/Xenon/Projector lamps. Used high beam only for 'viewing' the road ahead in hilly terrain and then back to low beams to light up the road ahead.

Some countries have regulations on high beams and they are rigidly enforced. No road rage, no stopping. The 'blinded' driver simply takes a picture of the offending light, sends it the relevant police department and the offender is fined. Not likely to happen in India where everyone drives with the attitude of: "Mere baap ki sadak hai" (Mods: is a translation needed?)

I just protect myself by driving in a civilised manner, at least I try. I DO lose my cool but Her Highness mostly manages to calm me down. Civilisation starts with 'civil', in Marathi it is 'Sabhya vyavahaar'. I just write off these idiots as uncivil and uncouth idiots, not worthy of my time, patience or energy. Live and let die.
mygodbole is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 21:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have the same grouse too. Wonder why or which brilliant fool thought of having such LED's for vehicles especially in country like ours with brilliant drivers! Anyways I have bought one of those yellow tinted glasses for driving in night which is helpful though not completely.
Old 6th February 2023, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Biggest issue I face is people cramming LEDs into headlights that were never designed for them.

I don’t see the utility of these hack jobs. Most of the light goes to lighting up the trees anyways. All of these base model to top spec transformation videos are not doing us any favours either.

Moreover, basic driving etiquette has gone for a toss. You’d be a fool to expect oncoming traffic to dip their lights unless you flash the hell out of them. Well, when in Rome…
revsperminute is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 22:35   #23
BHPian

In a world filled with fools, only the intellectual suffer.

I went for Hid's instead of LED's on my Rapid to be civil to other people around me and still have a clear view of the road, but little did i know I'm walking unarmed in an armed world!

A couple of things i do if i encounter highbeams on me:
1: High beamer coming opposite:
Flash a couple of times to let him realise i am blinded.
Success: 4 out of 10 times they'll realise what i mean and use a dipper.
Failure: Ladies and gentlemen we have a Mexican stand-off..i use my Upper too and slow down and purposely and safely start drifting in their lane just a nudge, which makes them slow down and we stare at each other as we pass. Atleast i get some satisfaction from the eye glare
A couple of times the offending party slows down and asked me why am i an idiot..i just reply "i dont know about that, but i am definitely blind due to your expensive stadium lights right now"

The above happens only in single inner city lanes.

2: High beamer behind:

1: Roll down the window and hand signal him (the old school 'uncle aapka headlight on hai' motion we used as kids) works most of the time.

2: if 1 doesn't work, then slot in reverse but dont move and use hazards, gets their attention and follow step 1 again.

3: if 1 and 2 both don't work and it's really irritating, i have gotten down and asked them politely and it's worked. Saam daam dand bhed!

All the above are my idiosyncrasy, but executed keeping in mind the situation and the area around me and only when I'm alone in the car. But then again i am an idiot who goes ahead of that truck in the fast lane and flags them down to move. Atleast i sleep well knowing i tried.
PrasadS is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 01:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post

I drove a friend's '09 civic after he upgraded to LED's. While the effect was dazzling in a parking lot, it did nothing to light stuff up effectively after say 50-80 metres while driving. Signboards on highways, reflectors, trucks at a distance were better lit with my Verna's stock halogen projectors.

Having the brightest headlights is not going to help you see better when oncoming traffic is blinding you. It might act as a deterrent at best to get the other fellow to switch to low beam (if that)...
A halogen headlamp may be a emitting a lot less light compared to a high lumen LED but our eyes are designed by nature to see better/process information better in 3500 to 4300K longer wavelength yellowish halogen compared to a 6500K shorter wavelength LED light.

All that high intensity bluish while LED light at 6500K will just end up dazzling oncoming traffic and at the same time our eyes will not see better using them. The LED light also scatter easily in rain and fog rendering them almost useless to see properly but just a dazzling effect.

We see better in dim looking yellowish halogen compared to a dazzlingly bright bluish white LED headlights.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th February 2023 at 01:24.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Not only Crystas, Fortuners or Balenos, even a Honda activa LED HL disturbs me while driving in night.
Exactly. The Honda activa Headligt is the most inconviniant of all. There was a time when the stupid rule existed that 2 wheelers should have permanent headligts even during daytime. I guess it has been taken away now. correct me if I am wrong. The Activa headlight was a nuisance even during the daytime.
nettooran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 13:35   #26
BHPian

What I learned is - if your windshield is clean without any scratches or dust, then these high beam LEDs don't blind you much.
Old 7th February 2023, 14:47   #27
BHPian

Until now I use to think I am the only one getting blinded my activa and few other two wheeler's headlights when am driving . But after going through this thread I realize there are more like me. I live in a commercial street which has pg's,food stalls and due to that reason the street is always lit up so one can drive even without headlights but still people use highbeams in such place. It's a struggle not to touch a pedestrian while driving in my street because of the blinding glare.

Also one another thing I noticed with these white headlights is even if I am driving in 4-lane highway where opposite lanes are separated by divider, the high beam lights are still powerful enough to give me headache from all the glare. I can't imagine the struggle of people of who have to drive in 2-lane roads and have to deal with this madness

Last edited by Revvatron : 7th February 2023 at 14:49.
Revvatron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 08:52   #28
BHPian

The new Honda Activa headlights are positively blinding! From my personal observation on kerala roads, Bigger vehicle owners are usually more considerate with using the high beams, Compared to the newer LED equipped Marutis and Hyundais. That said, The best medicine I have observed is the High beam on my Bullet. Surprisingly good at prompting a switch to Low beam from the unruly drivers/ riders.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 09:05   #29
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post

Moreover, basic driving etiquette has gone for a toss. You’d be a fool to expect oncoming traffic to dip their lights unless you flash the hell out of them. Well, when in Rome…
I do feel the same. Now a days very few drivers switch to low beam even when you flash your head light and indicate that you are using low beam. I think over the years, it is going from bad to worse. Recently when I was driving in the night, many of the oncoming vehicles didn't switch to low beam even after flashing a couple of times.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 09:35   #30
BHPian

Fully agree with the OP. People have forgotten the basic etiquette of using low beam in city driving and use dipper when there is an oncoming vehicle. It is less to do with the type of light. Even with led lights, low beam will not cause problems for oncoming or in-front traffic. Also, the city traffic police somehow has become lenient in this regard. I still remember there used to be dedicated drives in Chandigarh to check high beams. Even for fog lamps the traffic police have become lenient. Ideally in clear weather, they should be off. but nowadays the default mode is ON.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks