Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 16:43   #1
BHPian

Maruti's latest safety ads brag about its crumple zones

Just saw this on Instagram today and was really appalled with how Maruti Suzuki is misleading customers!

Maruti's latest safety ads brag about its crumple zones-img_793a15c183181.jpeg

Not to offend anyone but, after watching that ad, I'm pretty sure the car was designed with one primary goal in mind: to give the car behind it a cozy hug in case of an accident. I mean, who needs airbags when you've got a whole car as a crumple zone?
dheer4 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 17:41   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti's latest safety ads brag about its crumple zones

They are portraying this as though crumple zones are a groundbreaking new invention. This ad will only continue to fool anyone who already believes in their safety. Having said that there's nothing on this ad that's technically wrong (which is why they are confident enough to post it) apart from the phrase 'disperse as much energy as possible'. How much of the energy is dispersed depends on the design of the crumple zones and the bodyshell, not things that they would want to be posting too much about.
sravankrishnan is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 17:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
I mean, who needs airbags when you've got a whole car as a crumple zone?
Not really the brightest of Marketing ideas they got here. Though crumple zones are no new innovation and neither do they make a USP, the advertisement in no way says the whole car is a crumple zone.

They say Marutis love to ‘roll and fold’ but there are many which saved their occupants in real tight situations. Lets not start bashing them at the drop of a hat.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 18:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Just saw this on Instagram today and was really appalled with how Maruti Suzuki is misleading customers!
Not going into the efficacy of their crumple zone designs, don't see any reason that would make this advert misleading, what they are saying isn't false. The same is true for literally any other car sold in India right now. Regardless, they are selling well over 18k units per month of the model in question, I doubt that this ad will be changing things for them or anyone else.
MotoBlip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 19:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess they meant that the car crumples at any zone! And putting Baleno in that ad is heights of foolishness.
Raghu M is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 19:25   #6
BHPian

#DrivenBySafety? MSIL really needs to up their game and stop misleading people who don't know better.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2023 at 14:54. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate / rude posts
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 22:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the car was designed with one primary goal in mind: to give the car behind it a cozy hug in case of an accident. I mean, who needs airbags when you've got a whole car as a crumple zone?
That's why I feel safe when driving among Maruti Suzuki cars all around me
deetee is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 23:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

They are forty years too late. Admittedly they have been making tons of money by banking on their brand equity and customer confidence for four decades without ever giving a thought to safety. Since about a decade ago, when MSIL cars were being subjected to NCAP crash tests did the ZERO STAR scores for their many models didn't ruffle a single feather at MSIL Hqs. That's solely because they saw their sales continuously rising despite the poorest NCAP scores. It seemed that very, very few MSIL customers appreciated or understood the results of these very meaningful and customer-centric tests that NCAP did and now does.

Lately, just a few NEXA sold models have obtained four stars but the mass selling cars of MSIL continue to sell with their maximum ONE STAR safety rating. MSIL, their customers and regulators are all very happy about it.

The right thinking persons seem to be in a minority and hence we view, hear or read about crashes of the best selling models that sell or sold in millions, taking lives of their occupants every other day.

Dismal and helpless situation.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th March 2023 at 23:27.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

They have been on a marketing blitzkrieg harping on the safety aspects of their cars. Ads are headlining top of TOI paper almost every other day.
Old 13th March 2023, 11:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not to offend anyone but, after watching that ad, I'm pretty sure the car was designed with one primary goal in mind: to give the car behind it a cozy hug in case of an accident. I mean, who needs airbags when you've got a whole car as a crumple zone?
I will not comment of the safety ratings of Maruti vehicles as those have been discussed thread-bare on this forum. However, one thing that I can co-relate from this ad is the excessive repair work that's required on these vehicles even in case of minor impacts.

Personal experience: Few months back, my friend's Dzire (2018 model) met with an accident. It was a partial overlap impact at low speed (10~15kmph) on RH side; the front bumper tore away, headlight lens cracked, right fender crumpled like paper. The airbag was obviously not deployed. The other vehicle barely had minor scratches on the bumper; no apparent damage. It was an Altroz.

Such visual differences give the bystanders the 'image' of safe/ unsafe vehicle. And no one can blame the average non-technical joe for arriving at such conclusion.
AutoNoob is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Re: Maruti's latest safety ads brag about its crumple zones

Are they hinting about Bulls and buffaloes scratching their bellies or horns on the car?
Baleno is one word which would give me nightmares.
Cousin recently purchased Glanza from Toyota , 6 air bag variant and was hell bent arguing that this has better safety ratings than all hatches available and also better than the original Baleno.

Waiting for the Tata Social Media to make a Meme on this. They would, for sure.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 21:38   #12
BHPian

According to Maruti Suzuki, the theory of Crumple Zone is:
Maruti's latest safety ads brag about its crumple zones-40cc794b4b74a3c1923853f4cd3429b0timezonescalvinandhobbescomics.jpg
On4Wheels is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 22:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

It's simple, Marutis do pass UNECE-equivalent legislative frontal crash tests applied in India since 2019, simpler than consumer tests like GNCAP but still certainly impossible to pass without an effective crumple zone.

Admittedly, I enjoy poking fun at Maruti for some of their ridiculous ads (Dil se Strong and Calculate Kiya Kya? come to mind) but here I don't think there is much of a case for it. That said, some members have made points above worth pondering.

Last edited by ron178 : 13th March 2023 at 22:06.
ron178 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 10:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
They have been on a marketing blitzkrieg harping on the safety aspects of their cars. Ads are headlining top of TOI paper almost every other day.
I wish they had spent this marketing expenses towards improving the safety of their cars
Old 14th March 2023, 10:31   #15
VVN
BHPian

If Maruti was really feeling threatened, they should have simply used their reliability as the safety aspect. Perhaps an ad where they show 2-3 cars being driven on the highway at night. 2 cars breakdown whereas the Maruti simply chugs along. Finally ending with the message - There is no better safety than reliability.

You cannot beat a bull in a bull fight. You can however, manipulate your biggest strengths and bring the bull in your environment for the fight.
VVN is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks