Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2023, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Insane or Skilled? Discussion on reckless high-speed bus drivers

OT: I remember December 2013. Took a bus from Kashmiri Gate, Delhi to Pathankot.
Night bus and very low visibility due to fog. Funniest part? The bus was doing triple digit speeds all the time and the driver was drunk. I guess it was a Volvo 9400. I could be wrong.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 11:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WC2FUEmKEu8

A typical example of a skilled driver driving too dangerously.
If I want to sum it up in one statement, a skillful driver is one who maintains and takes margin of error into consideration when driving on busy streets/highways while the reckless driver throws the same margin of error out of the window.

The bus driver here in purely a reckless driver who is one error away from killing/affecting multiple lives away. I have said in other threads too, the larger the vehicle, the larger the responsibility of driving safe.
udzgodfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 12:25   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I strongly feel showcasing any of your "skills" in a public road is reckless - be this kind of rash driving, overtaking by pushing out other vehicles or doing a 2 wheeler wheelie in public road.

People claim they are "skilled" but all that stays only till you meet with an accident putting other people's life in danger.
Old 18th March 2023, 12:25   #19
BHPian

I call the bus drivers who drive rashly RECKLESS DAREDEVILS who give the safety of their passengers the least priority. In Kerala, some private buses honk till I give way and then they stop 150 metres ahead to pick passengers, blocking other drivers.

I just move out of the way for KSRTCs otherwise they keep tailgating you like the truck driven by the monster in Jeepers Creepers.
JojyKerala is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 13:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Night bus and very low visibility due to fog. Funniest part? The bus was doing triple digit speeds all the time and the driver was drunk.
This did not sound one bit funny. I would have been terrified out of my mind, and praying very, very hard, and looking to get off and take alternate transport as soon as possible!
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 15:45   #21
BHPian

Guess power steering has made them this skilled ! Really reckless and if the other vehicles make a small mistake they are gone. Everything seems to work smoothly but with very less margin of error for everyone.
Not sure how the body is not wallowing during those 'cutting' maneuvers he is doing.
Old 18th March 2023, 15:47   #22
BHPian

I found the driver in the video showing absolute control of the vehicle and his maneuvering skills are top notch. I really don’t see a reason why his license needs to be revoked!! If that’s the case then 99% of the licence of Volvo drivers needs to be revoked as all of them drive this way!! I find similar reckless driving in Delhi city by our beloved Delhiites! Time for us to revoke the said licenses ?

For someone like me who’s done uncountable trips between Bom - Blr and Bom- Ahmedabad, it’s due to these skillful drivers that a few hours have been shaved off in travel. With comments galore that the driver is reckless, a small comparison :
Private bus drivers on Bom- Blr route regularly complete the trip in about 17 hrs (sans rainy reason). The same Ksrtc (Blore) drivers take a good 22 hrs to do the trip.

Not only for him but for us too, if our luck runs out then we see the consequences!
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 16:32   #23
rkw
BHPian

This is totally reckless & dangerous. While the bus might be designed for high speeds & maneuverability, the roads & traffic are not in line with that. RTO should mandate speed limiter.
Old 18th March 2023, 17:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Those who are skilled aren't reckless but carry good amount of patience! However, we've to keep an eye on those who are over-confident who ultimately show their recklessness on road. Skilled drives are usually calm on the road I.e. they carry the bus at a consistent speed and quickly make way for others to overtake and help by communicating through hand gestures assisting other drivers while overtaking.

Reckless / over confident squids will neither provide space nor respond to your flash / honks as they put us through a dangerous game of endurance on road and I hate such freaks plying on roads. It's not only with bus drivers, this is plaguing all categories of riders / drivers on road.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 19:37   #25
BHPian

It is reckless, no 2 ways about it. That horn however will end the menace of scooters doing low 2 digit speeds in the middle lane, switching lanes without seeing their mirrors or indicators, even on expressways or pedestrians crossing without a care. I have faced this menace many times on the Bengaluru hyderabad highways. My group got into a scuffle over some 2 wheeler guy doing the same purposely near Belur, he was nearly thrashed by the rider who had narrowly avoided him. These rascals fear the KSRTC buses that travel on that road but will not care for cars or 2 wheelers for their own safety
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 20:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
OT: I remember December 2013. Took a bus from Kashmiri Gate, Delhi to Pathankot.
Night bus and very low visibility due to fog. Funniest part? The bus was doing triple digit speeds all the time and the driver was drunk. I guess it was a Volvo 9400. I could be wrong.
But you still traveled by that bus and did not abort the journey.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th March 2023 at 20:18. Reason: Kindly avoid personal attacks on fellow BHPians
StopUnderrides is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th March 2023, 20:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrajeevkumar View Post
If that’s the case then 99% of the licence of Volvo drivers needs to be revoked as all of them drive this way!!
I don’t agree with your logic . Even if 100% of drivers do it, dangerous driving is dangerous driving.

It’s because of passengers like us who want to save time that these drivers drive like this. Market forces in play.

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 18th March 2023 at 20:10.
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 20:11   #28
BHPian

The driver is very skilled and very reckless at the same time. He is driving with very less margin of error. One deviation from expected behavior of man or machine could end up in tragedy. He also seems to be high from chewing some substance.
Old 18th March 2023, 21:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
To be frank, my blood boils when I see these videos. They are just idiots who don't even buckle up and just floor the accelerator and drive at high speeds. That to me is no skill at all. They not only put everyone on the road in danger but also risk the passengers lives who trust them. These videos and the ones that show drivers doing mindless snake cuts on ghats. Then you see comments to these videos praising these drivers. All these people should be barred from driving for lifetime.
I think you didn't read the comments properly.
All of them supposedly praising are very sarcastic comments
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 21:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrajeevkumar View Post
Private bus drivers on Bom- Blr route regularly complete the trip in about 17 hrs (sans rainy reason). The same Ksrtc (Blore) drivers take a good 22 hrs to do the trip.
You know why? KSRTC buses are driven safely, drivers take adequate breaks and as a result, they also involved in far fewer accidents compared to private buses.

The private bus drivers drive like morons and crash their buses while showcasing their "skills".

Most Viewed