Team-BHP - Kids get tips on traffic safety!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Kids get tips on traffic safety! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/26613-kids-get-tips-traffic-safety.html)

Read this on the Deccan Herald online edition! Pretty good move. :Cheering:
Now I'd like to see them try this with adults. I feel its a good way to get some traffic sense in the public. Every city ought to have such tutorials, using the same platform of information so that everybody follows the same rules & maintains some discipline.

Kids get tips on traffic safety
DH News Service, Bangalore: The initiative, 'Toyota Safety Education Programme (TSEP) - Road Safety: My Right, My Responsibility', will be held over a period of five days in select schools.[FONT=Verdana]
In order to create awareness about road safety among children, global auto major Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) on Thursday launched a first-of-its-kind traffic safety initiative.

The initiative, ‘Toyota Safety Education Programme (TSEP) - Road Safety: My Right, My Responsibility’, will be held over a period of five days in select schools. It involves children participating in traffic-related computer games, manning traffic booths, screening of animated films, interactive tutorials and participation in a mobile traffic park.

Launching the TSEP at the Sacred Hearts Girls High School, Transport Minister N Cheluvarayaswamy said, “In 2006, road accidents claimed 909 lives in Bangalore City alone, partly because of the huge growth in number of vehicles,” he said.

While 1991 had 14 lakh 33,000 vehicles, it has now reached a staggering 69.4 lakh vehicles, he added. Commissioner of Police, N Achuta Rao said, “It is great fun to violate traffic rules. It thrills, But the moment an accident occurs the fun stops and the pain begins.”

Mum on second plant

Managing Director of TKM Toyoshima told reporters that discussions were on with various state governments on Toyota’s second plant.

On Tata’s Rs 1 lakh car, he said the Tata Motors project is probably aimed at those upgrading from a two-wheeler to a car.

[FONT=Verdana]Catching them young

[FONT=Verdana]TSEP is an interactive learning programme on traffic safety designed for schoolchildren in the 6-13 age group. Its objective is to educate kids in basic and day-to-day traffic safety procedures. The TSEP will reach out to 20 selected Bangalore schools and cover more than 20,000 children in 2007-08.

A mobile traffic park, equipped with 12 pedal cars and 25 traffic signs on makeshift roads, will be set up by Toyota at these schools during the five-day programme, and a 45-minute instruction session would be held per day. Toyota will distribute a TSEP kit consisting of books on road safety tips, a T-shirt and cap to winners of a safety quiz. For details, visit index.[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

Deccan Herald - Kids get tips on traffic safety

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 506587)
A mobile traffic park, equipped with 12 pedal cars and 25 traffic signs on makeshift roads, will be set up by Toyota at these schools during the five-day programme, and a 45-minute instruction session would be held per day.

Funny - we've had this for over 40 years in Cochin at the Children's Traffic Training Park, a facility with pedal cars and 2 wheelers and real miniature roads with traffic signals, zebra crossings and stuff. Also real traffic cops who gave a 10 minute lecture before every 1/2 hour driving session that we got as kids. None of us were interested in the lectures, but we had to participate by indicating the right hand signals when asked by the cop, etc. If you crossed a red light your session ended there.

Most of us from Cochin can claim to have 'learnt driving' there :)

I've been to that place! Used to love going there every vacation. Wasn't it called something like Baal-bhavan? not too sure though. have a vague memory if it being close to Maharaja's college.

I feel that these tutorials are handy.If its made mandatory as part of the license -approval process,it would do wonders in getting the public to be better drivers, and reduce traffic violations/incidents.

Giving kids training in traffic safety is an idea that we as team-bhpians can develop and promote. If all of us put our heads together to come up with a program that can then be implemented at schools, we would be doing great service for our country.

BHPians are spread out all over the country and each of us can help spread the word in our community schools. If we catch them young, they can be guided on the right path of traffic safety and ethics. A big advantage would be that they would not let their parents break traffic rules.

I don't know how to go about this, but if the seniors here can guide me, maybe we can do something that will create a lasting impact.

- Sam