Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 11:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Boston city streets to get 1,500 speed humps to help improve road safety

According to reports, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu is planning on installing speed humps across all eligible city streets, in an effort to dissuade speeding drivers and improve road safety.

The new "Safety Surge" program, with a $12 million budget, is said to have identified 400 miles of streets that are potentially eligible for speed humps. They will be split into 10 zones based on crash history and resident demographics. The installation of the speed humps will take place over the next three years. Around 1500 speed breakers will be installed over the course of this period.

USA: Boston city streets to get 1,500 speed humps to help improve road safety-speedhumps.jpg

Reports stated that the installation of the speed humps will be incorporated during the routine road revamping schedule. The "safety surge" program will also redesign intersections and update certain traffic signals as part of its plan. The goal of the redesign is said to be to eliminate poor visibility, simplify confusing intersections and better segment different types of road users.

However, not all streets will be eligible to get speed humps. Reports state that major thoroughfares or any road which has an MBTA bus route will be avoided.

The new program comes off the back of a successful pilot initiative. As part of the initiative, three streets were installed with speed humps in an effort to determine whether the communities liked them.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 31st May 2023 at 11:41.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: USA: Boston city streets to get 1,500 speed humps to help improve road safety

From the image, I had a hard time identifying the 'speed breaker'. Compared to the annoying vehicle breakers that we have in our country these seems so smooth and civilized. I agree that this would still be annoying!

Also, don't they have advanced camera based systems for speed monitoring?
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:44   #3
BHPian

Re: USA: Boston city streets to get 1,500 speed humps to help improve road safety

Are Bengaluru-Boston sister cities or something ? Would be annoying but since interior roads will have these where the speed limits are anyway low, it should not be a safety hazard themselves like here.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:47   #4
BHPian

Boston is now (again) 'Bangalored'!
kiran_aithal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 13:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hahaha.

Side effects of immigration! Or perhaps, some American cities has signed MoUs with Kailasa, maybe a few others did the same with other Indian cities as well. The yanks will now know the pain we undergo every single day. Either way, Indians in Massachusetts will feel a little less homesick.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 13:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looking forward to dramatic flying Coopers and low GC cars stuck crossing these mini mountains.

Unlocks phone to order popcorn from food delivery app
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 08:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

As far as I remember, and some current or ex Bostonians would recall, the city was known as the Big Dig, because of the never-ending infrastructure/renovation civic projects. That apart, as I have witnessed and my friend there said, Boston had one of the worse traffic discipline in the US. Being from Pune, he was of course very comfortable there

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st June 2023 at 08:30.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:41   #8
BHPian

Metal-Barricades (sarcasm)

Hope they also put up "Metal-Barricades" every kilometer, like here in Tamilnadu (sarcasm).

These barricades are put up in every type of roads like two-lane, four-lanes, etc. In two lanes they force opposite vehicles to have a mini race where both flash their lights on who goes first! (and thus causing road-rage accidents).

Sometimes these barricades are "multi-level", where you have to zigzag between them. Me on my power-steering and low-profile tyres have fun zigzagging, but I pity the big trucks though!
Old 2nd June 2023, 15:09   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Too much regulation.
Too much ‘woke’ stuff.
Too many restrictions.
These authorities are a real bunch of killjoys.
Time for one more Boston Tea Party methinks.
Old 2nd June 2023, 15:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The state of MA had removed all toll booths after one nasty road accident killed a booth worker; was it in 2016 or 2017, not sure off the top of my head. Thereafter, every passing vehicle would get flash-snapped, back and front, in what appears as brilliant flashes especially at night. E-tolling or snail-mailed toll bills to registered vehicle owner-addresses - that was the process they put in.

Now they're adding 1500 speed bumps in Boston, I'm not surprised. Two points in a continuum are all I have - granted, but I'm seeing their propensities from my own limited point of view.

PS: Remember the time when a ruling minister's son died on his RE Bullet due to an errant speed-breaker in Chennai around a decade back? Jayalalitha's administration had swung into action overnight and removed all speed breakers (for a brief while) from a lot of Chennai's roads. I've even shared the news article detailing this on the forum a while ago.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 06:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've never been to Boston, but from my experience living in Downtown Chicago, I welcome this move if speed breakers are installed in small residential streets.

The street I live on has 3 speed breakers; Without the speed breakers, walking would be a pain (not to mention unpleasant too). Loud Muscle cars and motorcycles come every night, but they end up getting frustrated while driving on street. Expectantly, major streets next to my residential street do not have speed breakers.

These residential streets are supposed places where most people would drive only <1 mile to get to their house, so shouldn't be an issue.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 08:42   #12
BHPian

The only way to read most such endeavours is with a healthy dose of cynicism and a clear eyed focus on cui bono - Who benefits?

There’s a near 12 million budget behind this project and going by my experiences with the local corporation it would be safe to assume that a good 20-30% of this will go towards feathering the nests of several “hard working” cogs in the civil machinery!

If there is a public outcry then sure project safety surge can be replaced by project Immense Freedom at a cost of another 12 million

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks