Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 13:44   #151
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Drink and drive? Go straight to JAIL!

An article from Livemint showing what the law has to say.

Link
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 15:25   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Although law and or enforcement of laws can play a part, its also about the level of acceptance in society at large that I think is a large contributor or lack thereof.

In the late eighties and early nineties in Western Europe most people would not think much of drinking and driving. Also, in professional circumstances. E.g. people would go to the pub, or during seminars and congresses drinking would be part of the attraction.

These days in large part of Western Europe, drinking and driving, simply isnt done. It just unacceptable behaviour. Company parties and getting bombed out of your skull on booze at a congress is just not acceptable anymore.

For decades drink driving campaign were run, not so much emphasizing the fact that you are breaking the law, as more emphasizing it is just very anti-social behaviour. Took a long time and some of these campaigns are still running in some form or another, but still emphasising the behaviour and what you might do to others.

Jeroen
Old 24th December 2015, 19:16   #153
BHPian

Just read how our judiciary has failed yet again. This is really disturbing. I mean how can a person charged with such serious offense is let off free? The article is worrisome for everyone...you never know when a rich-brat will hit your car and easily by-pass the judicial system. Utterly gruesome!

LINK
Attached Thumbnails
Drink and drive? Go straight to JAIL!-524214651.jpg  

Last edited by keeprevving : 24th December 2015 at 19:19.
keeprevving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:56   #154
D C
BHPian

Re: New Punishment for first time offenders of drunken driving in Hyderabad

A Third Metropolitan Magistrate Court in Hyderabad has imposed a new punishment to the first time offenders of drunken driving. The first timers were given a crash course on traffic management

Drink and drive? Go straight to JAIL!-traffic-hyderabad.jpg

Quote:
A total of 100 DD violators were produced in court on Monday, and the judge decreed that first timers whose blood alcohol content measured less than 100 mg alcohol per 100 ml of blood would have to learn what it is like to be a traffic cop and serve their penitence amid the chaotic traffic of Hyderabad.

It was 10 am and the temperature was still only in the mid-thirties but after an hour of waving his hand at an endless river of peak-time traffic, one of the offenders begged to know why he was being made an example of. He was only a first-timer.

Having heard it all before, the traffic policemen paid no need. Officials said the rather like the idea of making first-time DD offenders acquire some first-time knowledge of traffic management.

Inspector M Sreenivas of the Goshamahal Traffic Training Institute said this is a good way to deter people in general from entertaining the notion that drunken driving is just a Tome and Jerry game with policemen. “Not only these 31 people, all those motorists will get the message of what can happen if they are caught driving in a drunken condition.”

Apart from the band of eight who did duty at the Traffic Control Room, two other batches of 10 offenders had to perform at Mozamjahi Market and the Koti intersection.

This is the latest indication that punitive measures for drunken driving will pack a little more menace from now on. Earlier, DD offenders had to do entirely enjoyable public service duties like holding up dainty placards with messages, do some Swachh Bharat sweeping, etc. The five hours of traffic management, like the frog jumps one had to do at school, is likely to be memorable, police officials said.

As per traffic police you can’t have a BAC of more than 35 mg on yyour breath. If you have less than 100 mg and are caught first time, you might get the crash course on traffic management. Since November of 2011, a total of 16,138 people were caught with BAC levels in the 30-50 mg range. By that count, the Hyderabad Traffic Police should have no dearth of unpaid part-timers.
Source: The New Indian Express
D C is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:04   #155
BHPian

Before issuing permanent driving licence, it should be compulsorily do community service in accident wards of hospital. This is best way to sensitise people
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 10:40   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's now 10 years since the Mumbai Cops started their attack on drunk driving, and I'm happy to see that they remain relentless.

Went through two naka bandis last night. The first one was actually funny. Was driving back late night from watching Dangal and a friend said he wanted to drive my car. So, I slowed down & carefully started moving to the left with my indicators on.

A little ahead was a naka bandi that I saw only after moving to the leftmost lane & slowing down. Since I hadn't yet stopped, I thought I'll hand over after the naka bandi (so that cops don't think I'm exchanging seats because of drunk driving).

As I approach the naka bandi, I put my cabin lights on so they get a clear view of the inside (a habit since long). I see a female officer come running toward my car. They saw me pulling to the left earlier and thought I'm trying to trade seats because of drunk driving.

Came up to me and asked my name. I spoke loud & clear. Then she asked me to blow air into her palm (what for????). Did so. Then my licence.

Finally I beamed a wide smile and showed her the movie ticket on my phone. Told her all of us were actually watching a movie (not returning from a pub) and that I always call for an Uber if otherwise.

Rather than being happy, she was actually a little disappointed that I was clean & grudgingly let me go!!!

At the time time that I was stopped, a lady driver was asked to get out of her car. Man, she was smashed. Had no right to be behind the wheel.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:51   #157
BHPian

Ok, here's what I experienced first hand on 1st January at none other place than Mumbai - Pune Expressway. We were returning from Mumbai and were starting on the ghat section when a Swift passed us by dangerously. We observed that it was cutting across all the vehicles ahead and swerving while doing so.

While following the car keeping a safe distance, I could sense that something is not right. The car was not able to keep a straight line and was swerving like a drunkard after getting spiritual.

The car would abruptly slow down then speed up again and would end up near our car which I so didn't want. On one of it's slow downs after crossing the ghat section, I sped up to overtake. My BIL seating on passenger side, peaked through the window and he could clearly see the passenger in the Swift was making a drink and passing it to the driver, while helping himself too. Turns out the car was not drunk but the driver was getting drunk.

We were shocked and aghast! We let him pass and slowed down so that there is enough distance between us as he was still continuing his roller coaster ride. No matter how much I tried, we would end up near him as while slowing down, he would go down to 50-60 kmph for a considerable distance before speeding up again.

At the Talegaon toll booth, he entered the lane and I did too but in a different lane. After crossing the toll booth, I stopped at the police check post and informed about the incident and gave the car number too. Unfortunately, he had already crossed the check post but the police took it seriously and informed his registration number on wireless.

I don't know if he got caught (low chances if he got out at dehu road exit) but was glad that the police took the matter seriously and was in action immediately. Seriously hoping that he got caught.

Last edited by teemus : 5th January 2017 at 11:53.
teemus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 09:48   #158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seems you can't go out at night without a nakabandi in Mumbai! Same thing on Friday night. Tight check points all around town. An Etios tried to take a u-turn and run away; he was caught within 100 meters by an officer & his bike.

Meanwhile, we breezed through the check point with our DriveU driver.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 21:13   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Seems you can't go out at night without a nakabandi in Mumbai! Same thing on Friday night. Tight check points all around town. An Etios tried to take a u-turn and run away; he was caught within 100 meters by an officer & his bike.

Similiar stuff in Bangalore. All friday/saturday nights we have police check posts near major nightlife spots.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 09:44   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

An Etios tried to take a u-turn and run away; he was caught within 100 meters by an officer & his bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Similiar stuff in Bangalore. All friday/saturday nights we have police check posts near major nightlife spots.
+1 to ethanhunt123 and personally I think its a commendable work by the law enforcement team.

I also observed what GTO has reported and noticed that there are teams of cops stationed ~200m before and after the nakabandi, to stop any escape tricks.

A week back on a Friday evening, one of my friend decided to drive his car after the usual weekend booze party and was caught by cops at 11.45 pm. The rest of us had either opted for DriveU or hired a cab, but this dude appeared too ignorant.
The entire process of collecting the fine receipt, going to the court to pay the penalty and releasing his car from impound lasted till 4.30 pm (Saturday) and to save 400 bucks, he had ended up paying a total of ~5k !!

Though the ordeal was quite painful and we all felt helpless, I think I have a new found respect and really applaud the work by the cops. They stuck to the rule book and were least interested in any sort of Bribe offered by my friend.

CHEERS TO THE BTP (Bangalore Traffic Police)
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 19:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Seems you can't go out at night without a nakabandi in Mumbai!
Similar scene here in Ahmedabad as well! Cops are on their toes between 12AM and 5AM. As far as you are not DUI and have all your papers clean, you are done with it in less than a couple of minutes. I also have the habit of switching the cabin lights on (and cops do appreciate that) while stopping at such check posts! It eases that tension / grumpy attitude from the chap who is manning the check post.

Checking for DUI in a dry state like Guj is funny though!
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 08:21   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Seems you can't go out at night without a nakabandi in Mumbai! Same thing on Friday night. Tight check points all around town.
Absolutely! As an Uber driver - driving throughout the night since the last six odd months, I can confirm that drunk driving checks are a daily feature all over Mumbai - also, cops have now become smarter and they occasionally shift the location of these checks!
Unfortunately, in-spite of people knowing about the extent of checks in Mumbai - I see many drivers getting caught on a daily basis - and with a wide range of emotions! Pleading / crying / shouting & the worse - saw a guy trying to physically assault the cop - only to be hammered with a few lathis!

Moral of the story: If you're out drinking - be wise and take an Uber - preferably an UberBlack. (Good for you and me!)
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 13:59   #163
BHPian

This joker turned up during a drunken drive check in Hyderabad:

Last edited by Enobarbus : 11th January 2017 at 14:05.
Enobarbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 17:08   #164
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Absolutely! As an Uber driver
How about a thread on serious / interesting / funny experiences as an Uber driver? Will be quite a read for the rest of us. Please start off in the Assembly Line .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
This joker turned up during a drunken drive check in Hyderabad:
Hahaha! Only in India. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2017 at 17:19.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 18:21   #165
BHPian

A relative who is a helicopter pilot told me a story few days back.
Evidently he was ferrying a very senior Maharashtra politician to one of those public meetings in interior Maharashtra when the craft was hit by freak weather. It got pretty hairy but he was somehow able to land the chopper in a field. The politician was all praises for this guy and gave him his personal number asking him to call him if he ever needed any help from the government.
Oh, and except one this. I quote
"Drunk driving me pakde gaye to call mat karna. Mumbai police kisi ke baap ki bhi nahi sunti"!
ROFL!
DJ
pickdj is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks