Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:18   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drink and drive? Go straight to JAIL!

Really cant argue with the numbers, can we?

Number of accident-related deaths in Mumbai :

June 2007 : 60+
July 2007 : 38
August : 9

In what is an absolutely commendable effort, the state cops are cracking down big time on drunk driving. We have seen several plans being stuck in the "planning stage" only, but the traffic police is doing a remarkably good job in implementing this.

In the past few days, many have spent time in jail already (upto a week!!). This includes students and businessmen from well-heeled families. Naka-bandis or "check posts" are put up at several places around the city starting from as early as 7 pm. Now, they plan to put up these check posts even during regular working hours.

If found guilty, your car is confiscated on the spot and your licence seized. The current fine is Rs. 2,000 but this is expected to increase very shortly.

The only doubt is on how much you can actually drink before driving. I read in the TOI that even a single drink of hard liquor could get you in trouble.

News Article 1

News Article 2

News Article 3

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2007 at 12:42.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:22   #2
BHPian

Wow.. that's really nice.. and hope it's implemented all over the country.
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Perfect... thats exactly what drunk drivers deserve for endangering the lives of others!
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

maybe they should keep a "limit",like they have in Western countries. Some drink for their health
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:32   #5
BHPian

This actually is a good idea - to give drunken drivers some time off in the slammer. Hopefully, the "shame" associated with having to explain time spent in jail will prevent these guys from doing it again!!!!
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats exactly what should be done, Saw it in one of the news channels, people were hiding their face in the police van. All got 3-5 days jail.

Hope it is implemented throughout India.

Abhi
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:04   #7
rks
BANNED

I am all for this idea provided it is implemented fairly and innocent road users are not harassed. The cops should mostly stop those vehicles that are being driven in a rash or suspicious manner and/or by the age group that is most likely to offend, plus maybe a few more random checks. Drunk driving is an evil that should be rooted out.

By the way, I was stopped in Pune recently at 2-30 AM opposite NIBM by a police roadblock, as I was returning home from work. They asked for my license and then let me off. I was a bit apprehensive that they might not be genuine cops, but I couldn't do much as the road was blocked by what looked like a police van.
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This might be a good step but there needs to be a lawful criteria to charge people. Genuine breathalyzer tests need to be carried out before charging people so harshly, not just mere suspicion or smell.
Also putting people behind bars for having a drink or 2 is not justified... there should be a set criteria or limit, if a person is well over the limit he should be arrested.
I just hope this doesn't turn into a money making racket by the cops, who will be able to get more bribes out since people would pay every penny to save them from imprisonment.
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, we really dont have accurate breath analyzers with the police....IIT guys were supposed to develop, but somehow its on hold.

Making laws is easy, enforcing is difficult. We are just making our policewalas more corrupt by giving them a chance to earn....RIDICOLOUS!!
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:34   #10
BANNED

hic hic ... now what do we do to get home ????

If implemented fairly ... GREAT , else just another thing for the book !! Also before going after drunlen drivers and stuff , how about trying to implement a 100 other rules that get flouted so openly ???

But once again ... the thought is commendable hic hic
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:38   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Genuine breathalyzer tests need to be carried out
They are

Quote:
Also putting people behind bars for having a drink or 2 is not justified... there should be a set criteria or limit, if a person is well over the limit he should be arrested.
There is a legal limit. Click here for the numbers.

Quote:

Making laws is easy, enforcing is difficult. We are just making our policewalas more corrupt by giving them a chance to earn....RIDICOLOUS!!
Come on, man...give the guys a break. Just because of some corrupt cops, lets not insult this entire movement.
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:57   #12
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They are

There is a legal limit. Click here for the numbers.

Come on, man...give the guys a break. Just because of some corrupt cops, lets not insult this entire movement.
Agree with GTO. I've come across cops in Bangalore, who write a ticket even w/o going into any other mode. Not all cops are corrupt.

IMHO, this movement is great, what if it increases corruption. Fine or bribe, it all adds up to better behavior on roads.

Somebody mentioned the limits on US are higher, but so are the fines in the US. Imagine paying 300$ (12000 rupees) for a red light violation. I hope we implement these as well.
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
Wow.. that's really nice.. and hope it's implemented all over the country.
Well, I support a nation-wide implementation. But, what you dont want is the entire police force out at night with their breath analysers.
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO- I know there is a legal limit but how well is it implemented? Just the other day there was a discussion on the radio about how cops are using their noses as breathalyzers and passing judgements based on that.
A strict criteria should be followed, that's my only complaint to this matter.

Btw, just a piece of advice to save you time and hassle from being stopped by cops at naka bandis- always switch on your interior lights so the cops can see the passengers...most often they dont stop you (dont not try this when you are drunk )

Last edited by Sahil : 3rd August 2007 at 14:06.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a very good news. Lets hope this doesn't turn into another money making business for the cops.
What is stopping the police from implementing this across the country?

Most Viewed