Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 13:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

First and foremost the biggest culprit are his PARENTS.

Giving your underage kid a powerful unregistered car was perfect recipe to such disaster.

My biggest worry is, the kid at such age has learnt what money can buy and how important it is to be rich and powerful in this country. Sorry for such sarcastic comment but its is heart wrenching incident of young loosing life and the culprits are getting away so easily.
Satkaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:07   #62

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Defiance of Traffic Laws
Another huge nuisance is open defiance of traffic laws in Pune. Be it going down the wrong side, breaking traffic signals, starting off before the signal turns green, inching ahead onto oncoming traffic at signals and turns. In fact in the CCTV footage a bike goes down the wrong side just before the Porsche passes by.

All in all, a lot of the audacity that is evident in this incident is a direct result of an impotent administration and a total absence of authority. Bars serving drinks to minors, no check on drunken driving, no speed check after 11pm, no checking of vehicle documents, allowing unregistered cars to run on the roads, the list is endless. Unfortunately 2 young people lost their lives and the situation is not set to improve.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2024 at 11:36. Reason: Please see post #34. Thanks.
shubhsd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:14   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you add up the penalties by the rule book of the land, this murderer & his Dad should be away for 25 years. This accident is a classic case of every rule broken. Just how much do you think you can get away with?

- Unregistered car. RTO officer said car was inspected, but tax is still unpaid.

- Did the car even have insurance?

- Drinking alcohol under the legal age.

- Driving under 18.

- Driving without a licence.

- Flying at insane speeds on what appears to be a reasonably crowded road even at late night hours. Was it 160? 200 kmph?

- Two innocents killed. Murdered.

Add up the max penalties for each of these and this guy / his dad should be behind bars for a long time.

The only right thing that was done was there was a chauffeur in the car. But the drunk kid told him to move to the passenger seat, so he could drive. As I have said 100 times before on other threads, when my kid/s turn 18, they will start off with an underpowered car. From today's market, I would probably buy something like the Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol MT for them. Slow, safe, good-looking, practical, Tata niggles will teach them a couple of things (mechanical basics, how to interact with people at dealer workshops) and a beautifully underpowered 3-cylinder motor. I'll also install a tracker that tells me & them every time they cross 80 kmph. Kids have to start slow and learn slowly. A Porsche in the hands of a 17-year old is just asking for trouble. It's like giving a CBR1000 to an 18-year old as his first motorcycle.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2024 at 16:27.
GTO is offline   (216) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:14   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post
The father also deserves to be punished for his sons actions.
Absolutely, your perspective is commendable. Holding parents accountable for their childrenís actions, especially when it comes to allowing underage driving, can indeed serve as a powerful deterrent. When influential individuals face consequences for their actions, it sends a clear message to society about the importance of responsible behavior.

Letís hope that these efforts lead to positive change and save lives.
inner_roadster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:23   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Pune Porsche whose driver killed 2 in accident was on streets without registration since March.
Does this mean it probably wasn't insured either?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:37   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As far as I know, a vehicle can be insured with at least the mandatory third-party liability-only policy. Therefore, you can get an insurance policy from the insurer even if you do not have a registration number for your vehicle with details such as chassis no. and engine no.

According to my information, this car had been purchased in Bangalore and transported to Pune with a temporary number by the dealer.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st May 2024 at 14:43. Reason: Minor clean up edits (caps and spacing).
inner_roadster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:49   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I was part of some discussions on the initial police action in the Porsche - bike accident case. The Pune police filed this case before the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), Pune, and got the well publicised verdict. A section of the people questioned the action and said that the case should have been filed in the Sessions Court directly, so that the minor could be tried as an adult under the Juvenile Justice (JJ Act) Act, 2015, since he was just below 18 years of age. But there's a rider here. Procedurally, the case initially is to be filed only with the JJB and one cannot move the Sessions Court directly. The case would have been dismissed.

Section 101(2) of the JJ Act provides that against an order passed by the Juvenile Justice Board after preliminary assessment under Section 15 of the Act, the appeal is maintainable before the Court of Sessions.

Quote:
Section 15 of the JJ Act provides that a child between the age of 16-18 can be tried as an adult if he/she has committed a heinous offence. This provision has drawn a line to classify juvenile delinquents in two categories: one is below the age of 16 and the other is above this age.
This is only about the procedure and I have not discussed anything about the JJB decision or about other facets of the police action post the mishap.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st May 2024 at 13:52.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:03   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The article says the car didn't have permanent registration done in the home RTO - but it did have temporary registration from the dealer in Bengaluru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Pune Porsche whose driver killed 2 in accident was on streets without registration since March.

Link:
You need insurance for temporary registration: https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//...y-registration - so I guess the car has insurance. But not sure if the insurance cover (even 3rd party) will apply since the car was driven by an underage driver under influence of alcohol at speeds above limits.

Hope the driver gets trial as an adult.
thomahawk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
The only right thing that was done was there was a chauffeur in the car. But the drunk kid told him to move to the passenger seat, so he could drive.
In the hindsight, the chauffeur should have been strictly instructed to not hand over the keys to the kid, come what may. Even if he cries or jumps out of the car.

I remember when I was in late teens, I had a DL by then, but I had zero experience of driving on highway or in hills and I was a passenger in my Father's govt car and it was only me and his driver, going from Leh to Srinagar, I begged/pleaded him for the steering to let me drive, but he didn't budge an inch, because my father had clearly instructed him to not hand over the keys/steering to me in any circumstances.

I sulked during the whole drive and today when I look back, I realize that he did the right thing. It's mostly about upbringing and how the mold is cast in the first place. Anyway, I feel age of 16-25 is too dangerous for the kids to drive (Especially fast fast cars) unless they are properly counseled and trained, due to high adrenaline rush they are bound to make mistakes and their aggression needs to be controlled in a constructive manner.

I remember a lesson from my father which was taught to me during early stage and for life it has been ingrained in me, He said, itís very easy to drive fast, but itís very difficult to stop from that speed, if needed and few accidents down the lane, I can 100% vouch for this.

And similarly, I put the same restriction on my teenage kid for their own safety. Not that I know better, but because I know everyone's life is precious and it's too fragile to take any chances and lose it in a freak accident.

Safety pays in log run.

On the topic - I hope it will not be proved in the court of law that the ghost was driving the car. Sad that 2 budding lives were sucked in a negligent manner. I wonder what the outcome would have been if this would have happened to Judge's kid?

Last edited by NomadSK : 21st May 2024 at 14:05.
NomadSK is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:13   #70
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

I am not blaming the victim. Riding without a helmet is against the law. It's not the same as wearing short clothes that is not against the law. As I said. An offense is an offense is an offense.
Maybe I missed the context of this comment from earlier replies but what did you mean by the 'wearing short clothes' bit? Do you find it offensive that someone wears short clothes? Why was this mentioned in this discussion? I personally find it unnecessary to the topic at hand and obnoxious and sexist to boot, forget misogynistic. And the best part - it has no relation whatsoever with the topic being discussed. You have 'survived' something almost similar, so your POV is highly biased, so don't victim-blame under the guise of 'objectivity' please because you're not being objective at all, given your history.
Evyas is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:16   #71
BHPian

As per the latest news, the father of the boy has been arrested by the police. He had been on the run. I strongly feel that the accused should also be trialed as an adult in such cases.

I remember one such Mercedes Hit and Run case from Delhi. Someone lost their life because of negligence of a juvenile and even after 8 years, courts are still deciding if the accused should be trialed as an adult or a juvenile.

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Tiago_Boy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
The thought of driving to a bar with the intention of driving away oneself, that needs deterrence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 458 View Post
The problem in society is people giving a long leash to their kids, and letting them do anything with impunity and lack of responsibility. This is true for both the rich and the poor.
Quote:
As I have said 100 times before on other threads, when my kid/s turn 18, they will start off with an underpowered car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
In the hindsight, the chauffeur should have been strictly instructed to not hand over the keys to the kid, come what may. Even if he cries or jumps out of the car.
Spare the rod and spoil the child. We used to be a nation where children were afraid of doing anything wrong for fear of the bollicking they would get from their parents.

I remember every instance I was walloped, and even now in my mid 40s I am sure about what’s right and what’s wrong. I’m also afraid of what my parents would think of me if I did something wrong.

I don’t understand the need to buy children cars in the first place, but at 18? Seriously? And we have people talking on this forum loftily about global warming, pollution and congestion, the need for public transport.

Send your kids to KVs like we went to, let them learn the value of things. It’s all this pampering that’s causing a generation of entitled swollen headed brats to suffocate our society.

Simple, hard working, middle class youngsters trying to make a life killed by an insufferable, spoilt elitist brat. May he and his parents face the full wrath of justice for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by VeluM : 21st May 2024 at 14:31.
VeluM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Unregistered car. RTO officer said car was inspected, but tax is still unpaid.
To draw a parallel...

Last night we ordered 4 shawarma's from a nearby cafeteria, 6AED each, regular delivery boy dropped it off and I tipped him a 5AED note. Munched it during Netflix and my lil' 5 yr barbie couldn't finish the whole thing. Me and wife and son were tummy full and looked at each other, decided to junk it. Neither that 2-3dhs leftover nor the 5dhs tip made a big difference in our lives last night.

People do not register a 2.5Cr INR CBU import because it is valued equal to a leftover shawarma. The tip is equal to few more Porsche's gathering dust in their garages. The cafeteria may be a powerful person/party who is pally-pally to deliver a shawarma over a phone call.

These kind of people will continue to throw 'left over food' every now and then. I am afraid they are far too powerful considering how much they donated during this election season in India. Would be interesting to watch this case proceed after the :"Results" are out mid june.

Last edited by svsantosh : 21st May 2024 at 14:34.
svsantosh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:46   #74
BHPian

On the insurance part as raised - my experience of buying a Punch EV in TN and moving it to Karnataka for a friend is as below -

1. Vehicle was temp registered in TN (with the Karnataka Address) (6 months validity)
2. Full insurance was provided basis the VIN number (3 year Incl 3rd party)
3. In Karnataka we were told to produce to RTO (used a broker sadly)
4. Registration completed in Karnataka but the Registration plate (HSRP) had to come from the dealer in TN to be fixed in KA
5. The fastTAG was done during temp Registration

Hope this helps

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:55   #75
BHPian

I completely agree with all your observations about Pune's traffic culture.

Having lived in Bombay all my life, then worked in Bangalore for 2 years, and having recently relocated to Pune, I am appalled at the traffic discipline here.

I travel on my Dio from Hadapsar to Viman Nagar. Almost at every red signal I fear some vehicle or the other hitting me from behind. No one seems to give a damn about red lights. This is despite me staying in the left most lane. In Bombay and Bangalore I used to see people riding or driving cars on the wrong lane. Here I see two/three wheelers making dangerous moves in the opposite direction right in the middle of the lane, cutting from one side to the other and what not. All while cops stand and fleece out of state cars.

I often travelled through Yerwada during my 3am Pune to Bombay commutes. Used a see a lot of fancy cars being driven without a care. Thankfully those days of mine are in the past.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2024 at 11:35. Reason: Quoted post edited. For details, please see post #34. Thanks.
Flanker99 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed