Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
  Search this Thread
374,780 views
Old 19th May 2024, 13:50   #1
BHPian
 
na_agrawal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: GAU/PNQ
Posts: 108
Thanked: 706 Times
Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

I witnessed the aftermath of a huge crash in Pune yesterday night. We were out for a joyride and a coffee at around 2-2:30 am yesterday. Suddenly, I saw a bunch of people pulling out a bike stuck underneath a red Swift. The bike was a total mess and judging by the condition, I was just hoping for the rider/riders.

There was chaos all around, and the police were asking the public and traffic to move away. Further down the road I saw another bunch of people gathered around and to my surprise that was a Porsche Taycan all banged up. Headlamps, bumper, windshield, all gone. All airbags deployed.

Later, when I reached my regular coffee shop, I got to know about that accident. That red Swift guy a regular customer. The speeding Taycan went out of control and hit the bike and swift and a cabbie. Sadly, 2 on the bike lost their lives.

No pics due to chaos and confusion. Location was near to Trump towers, Viman Nagar, Pune.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2024 at 11:13. Reason: 2 lost lives on the bike, not 3
na_agrawal is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 15:17   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 157 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
There was chaos all around, and the police were asking the public and traffic to move away. Further down the road I saw another bunch of people gathered around and to my surprise that was a Porsche Taycan all banged up. Headlamps, bumper, windshield, all gone. All airbags deployed.
Guess this is the incident you're talking about. Sad to see unnecessary loss of lives due to carelessness.

Quote:
Vedant Agarwal, son of a prominent builder in Pune, rammed his speeding Porsche into a bike at a junction killing the two riders on the spot
https://thefederal.com/category/stat...finitescroll=1
nick.cs is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 11:29   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 2,096 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Guess this is the incident you're talking about. Sad to see unnecessary loss of lives due to carelessness.
Its carelessness on part of his parents primarily. Driver definately is the culprit, but more than him its his parents who are responsible for this accident.Its become main page news today and section 304 has been applied it seems.

https://punemirror.com/pune/crime/ka...1716131373.htm
silverado is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 12:38   #4
BHPian
 
DevilzzzzOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 191
Thanked: 923 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
I witnessed the aftermath of a huge crash in pune yesterday night. We were out for a joyride and a coffee at around 2-2:30 am yesterday.

No pics due to chaos and confusion. Location was near to Trump towers, Viman Nagar, Pune.
  • Late Night - Check
  • Underage Driver - Check
  • Influential Family - Check
  • Multiple Expensive Pub Hops before accident - Check
  • Swanky Car - Check
  • High Speed Driving - Check
  • Police Intimidating Victim's Kin - Check
  • Army of Lawyers arriving at the Police Station - Check
  • Accused Served Pizza and Allowed to Sleep off at Police Station - Check
  • MLA Arriving at Police Station - Check
  • Police Delaying Medical Tests - Check
  • Finally, Judge granting Bail to the Accused - Asked 17.5 Year Old to volunteer for 15 days with Traffic Police, Asked to get Psychiatric help for quitting Drinking (At the age of 17.5!!??) and Write an Essay on Drunk Driving.
My God, I HATE THESE RICH PEOPLE!! The whole system including the Judiciary is rotten to the core. I wonder how much cash changed hands that night.

If your blood doesn't boil reading all this, you are either the Rich behaving this way or getting Rich off such practices. I end my rant. Sorry, Team-BHP Mods.

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 20th May 2024 at 12:42. Reason: Added apologies to the Mods.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (367) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 12:54   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 8,462
Thanked: 14,027 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
That red Swift guy a regular customer. The speeding Taycan went out of control and hit the bike and swift and a cabbie. Sadly, all 3 on the bike lost their lives.

No pics due to chaos and confusion. Location was near to Trump towers, Viman Nagar, Pune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Guess this is the incident you're talking about. Sad to see unnecessary loss of lives due to carelessness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Its carelessness on part of his parents primarily. Driver definately is the culprit, but more than him its his parents who are responsible for this accident.Its become main page news today and section 304 has been applied it seems.
A lot of allied news are unfolding regarding this incident. Linked below:

1. Police want to do a bloodtest of eye witnesses.

2. Owner of pub booked for serving alcohol to the accussed.

3. Local MLA intervenes to influence police.

4. Car was unregistered.
moralfibre is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 13:39   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2
Thanked: 138 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
The whole system including the Judiciary is rotten to the core. I wonder how much cash changed hands that night.
India is a place where, if you have money and connections, you can achieve anything. It's astonishing that even with numerous witnesses and extensive social media coverage, the accused managed to secure bail—and on a"HOLIDAY", no less. Yes, the offense is bailable, and skilled lawyers can obtain bail, but getting it on a holiday blatantly shows the influence of wealth and power.

I used to believe that if your case received attention on social media, you'd gain support, but sadly, that's not the case. My heart sinks thinking about the victims' parents. How devastated they must be, having lost their child and realizing that despite all the evidence, they still may not see justice served. It's profoundly disheartening.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd May 2024 at 20:24. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
prasha7 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:17   #7
BHPian
 
Engine_Roars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 421
Thanked: 2,903 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
[list]
My God, I HATE THESE RICH PEOPLE!! The whole system including the Judiciary is rotten to the core. I wonder how much cash changed hands that night.

If your blood doesn't boil reading all this, you are either the Rich behaving this way or getting Rich off such practices. I end my rant. Sorry, Team-BHP Mods.
Most of the times I am against mob justice but in cases like these I truly feel mob justice is the best justice one could get. I can bet my everything on the fact that this despicable human won't serve any jail term, in fact, in a year or two, he will be settled in one of the developed countries with all the riches & luxuries & the parents of those who were killed will still be visiting police station/courts to get justice for their son/daughter & will die knowing they could not do anything to protect their kids nor could they get them the justice they deserved.

Sad, real sad. I wish he rots where ever he ends up, so do his parents.
Engine_Roars is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:28   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
antz.bin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,009
Thanked: 4,101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

3 laws were broken by the driver of the Porsche.

1. Underage drinking
2. Underage driving
3. Rash and negligent driving

For #2, the parents must also be punished.

I don't know about the 2-wheeler riders but there is a 99% chance that both rider and pillion were not wearing helmets. So they (most probably) wilfully broke the helmet law. Doing this is equivalent to not wearing the seatbelt when driving. This (probable) wilful activity by the 2 wheeler riders endangered their lives which they eventually lost in the accident. They may or may not have survived even with a helmet on but the fact that they probably didn't, contributed to their death.

So everyone calling for harshest punishment here and on social media, here is an ethical dilema. Had the 2 people on the 2 wheeler survived due to their helmets, there would be no accidental death charge. Correct?
So they are also (probably) somewhat responsible for their own death due to a law they broke. So is it correct to put a person in jail for a mistake that someone else made?

Now, such a situation can happen with any one of us. As motoring enthusiasts, we drive/ride a lot and we can become part of an accident for no fault of ours where the other party dies and we survive because we care about our safety and bought a safe car and wore the seat belts and yada yada yada. Now because we were driving responsibly and survived and the other guy was not, now we must do jail time for a charge equivalent to half murder. Is this acceptable?

Something similar (no drinking, not underage, me on the 2-wheeler, the other person on foot) happened to me roughly 14 years ago. I survived without so much as a scratch (riding gear from head to toe) and the other person (jaywalker on NH) was fighting for her life. Fortunately the person I had crashed into pulled through during surgery to save her life (there was a powercut mid surgery, suction stopped working and she was bleeding into her airway) or else this could very well have been my 1st post on Team BHP (not 999th).

Anyways, let's wait for the full report to come out before we pass our judgements. But it is not always black and white. There are shades of gray to consider before we ruin lives at the *alleged* age of 17.5.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th May 2024 at 14:52. Reason: Minor typo correction
antz.bin is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:33   #9
BHPian
 
Engine_Roars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 421
Thanked: 2,903 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Now, such a situation can happen with any one of us. As motoring enthusiasts, we drive/ride a lot and we can become part of an accident for no fault of ours where the other party dies and we survive because we care about our safety and bought a safe car and wore the seat belts and yada yada yada. Now because we were driving responsibly and survived and the other guy was not, now we must do jail time for a charge equivalent to half murder. Is this acceptable?

Something similar (no drinking, not underage, me on the 2-wheeler, the other person on foot) happened to me roughly 14 years ago. I survived without so much as a scratch (riding gear from head to toe) and the other person (jaywalker on NH) was fighting for her life. Fortunately the person I had crashed into pulled through during surgery to save her life (there was a powercut mid surgery, suction stopped working and she was bleeding into her airway) or else this could very well have been my 1st post on Team BHP (not 999th).

Anyways, let's wait for the full report to come out before we pass our judgements. But it is not always black and white. There are shades of gray to consider before we ruin lives at the *alleged* age of 17.5.
Please let's not start victim blaming here, no sane driver would drive a car on city roads at more than 150 KMPH of speed under influence of alcohol. At that speed, you will end up killing anyone who comes in your way.

There is a reason highways have speed limits, there is a reason driving under 18 is illegal, there is a reason driving under alcohol is a punishable offence. The hatred towards the accused is also a result of the fact that he comes from an influential family and most probably he will get away.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 20th May 2024 at 14:39.
Engine_Roars is offline   (106) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:49   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2
Thanked: 138 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
3 laws were broken by the driver of the Porsche.

1. Underage drinking
2. Underage driving
3. Rash and negligent driving
=======
Anyways, let's wait for the full report to come out before we pass our judgements. But it is not always black and white. There are shades of gray to consider before we ruin lives at the *alleged* age of 17.5.
Is getting bail on a "holiday" not a blatant abuse of power? How are you "99%" sure the two-wheeler drivers weren't wearing helmets? If you have evidence, please share it. Even if they weren't wearing helmets, does that give someone the right to hit them so hard it results in instant death? A car driving at 10-15 KM/hr isn't going to cause such a fatal accident.

Points 1, 2, and 3 are irrelevant in the eyes of the law; what matters is whether the rider and pillion were wearing helmets.

A person driving a 4 crore car can't afford a driver if they're drunk? Even my colleagues use services like "DriveU" if they've had even a drop of alcohol because we "respect and fear the law." The wealthy and powerful think they can get away with anything, so they act with impunity.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2024 at 18:31. Reason: Toned down
prasha7 is offline   (74) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2024, 14:51   #11
BHPian
 
MyLife_MyCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 328
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Accused Served Pizza and Allowed to Sleep off at Police Station - Check
If someone is able to eat anything (let alone a pizza) and/or sleep after killing two people, it means that this person has no remorse or is a psycho or simply a spoiled child to the core.


This is outrageous. Im sure that even if the bar employees had tried to deny alcohol to this guy, he would have threatened them with the usual jaanta hai mera baap kaun hai? (dont you know whos my father?)


A mockery at the Indian judicial system.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 15:01   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Riyadh
Posts: 407
Thanked: 2,666 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Anyways, let's wait for the full report to come out before we pass our judgements. But it is not always black and white. There are shades of gray to consider before we ruin lives at the *alleged* age of 17.5.
I tried my best to understand your point of view, sorry but unfortunately, I couldn't comprehend an iota of it, probably I'm looking at the scene as a father and you as a lawyer. I so much wanted to agree with your point, but as a protective father, I can't. I just wish people have more empathy than being shrewd lawyers. I bet there's a reason they wear "black dresses".

I'm not sure since when laws have been religiously implemented in India? Try explaining this to the parents of the kids who just lost their loved ones, why because they were not wearing helmets (I'm not sure). Their lives have changed forever, just because some under aged kid wanted to drive an exotic car under the influence and we should partly blame a 2 wheeler rider for not wearing helmet. Those kids weren't statistics for their parents.

I firmly believe these are the basic reasons we have so many accidents because we lack (in general) in empathy toward others and then can save our skin under the guise of ridiculous laws.

Anyway, thanks for being vocal for the laws.

Last edited by NomadSK : 20th May 2024 at 15:13.
NomadSK is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 16:27   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,069
Thanked: 6,787 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
3 laws were broken by the driver of the Porsche.

...

Had the 2 people on the 2 wheeler survived due to their helmets, there would be no accidental death charge. Correct?
Porsche wrong - yes. You got that right.

Bikers without helmet/gear - ChatGPT may call it a spade, agreed.

But even if they were dressed up like Thanos, a 150kmph SUV would have minced them.

Even if you want to present the case from a legal POV - the error of the car driver was much larger than the error of the bikers. Hence the car driver is the bigger guilty party here.
svsantosh is online now   (82) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 17:13   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bonn
Posts: 112
Thanked: 489 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Sorry but I won't bite my tongue as much as other BHPians seem to have, since this post has for some reason disturbed me quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I don't know about the 2-wheeler riders but there is a 99% chance that both rider and pillion were not wearing helmets.
Is there also a 99% chance that they died because of head injuries alone and would've survived if they were wearing helmets? You say you 'don't know about the 2-wheelers' and then go on to speculate about the rules they may have broken and then completely forget that you are only speculating and start making arguments that indirectly shift the blame to them entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
So they are also (probably) somewhat responsible for their own death due to a law they broke. So is it correct to put a person in jail for a mistake that someone else made?
"Mistake someone else made", referring to the bikers while very conveniently ignoring everything else that happened. Not wearing helmets is the big mistake here and not rash driving while drunk and managing to hit three vehicles and (only probably according to your reasoning) causing the death of two. It wouldn't be correct to prosecute someone for that since someone else made the mistake right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Now because we were driving responsibly and survived and the other guy was not, now we must do jail time for a charge equivalent to half murder. Is this acceptable?
Seriously, what in this context is responsible driving? Why would you even make this comparison when you know that the Porsche driver was far from being responsible? In some different context your post would've made sense but here you are just drawing parallels that are non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Anyways, let's wait for the full report to come out before we pass our judgements.
Where do you expect a full report to come from? After the instant bail if you expect the police to release a completely objective report based solely on the evidence available, I'll join you in hoping for that. Ironically enough I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting a report that absolves the car driver of all blame and instead puts the blame on the bikers for not wearing helmets.
sravankrishnan is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 17:13   #15
BHPian
 
SuperGirl_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: MAA/EWR/DOH
Posts: 109
Thanked: 588 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

I don't know about the 2-wheeler riders but there is a 99% chance that both rider and pillion were not wearing helmets. So they (most probably) wilfully broke the helmet law. Doing this is equivalent to not wearing the seatbelt when driving. This (probable) wilful activity by the 2 wheeler riders endangered their lives which they eventually lost in the accident. They may or may not have survived even with a helmet on but the fact that they probably didn't, contributed to their death.

So everyone calling for harshest punishment here and on social media, here is an ethical dilema. Had the 2 people on the 2 wheeler survived due to their helmets, there would be no accidental death charge. Correct?
Since you have assumed no helmet and are pedantic about the interpretation of the law, this is what the Honorable Madras high court recently said:

"A motor accident victim cannot be attributed with contributory negligence for not having worn a helmet while riding a two-wheeler and his/her family cannot be denied full compensation if the death had occurred because of multiple other injuries and not solely because of the head injuries, the Madras High Court has held."

The Hindu news link.

"What if" they wore helmet and still got injured and died ? Was there no other injuries other than to head ?
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (66) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks