Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 17:13   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to avoid road rage

You knew the guy?? This must have hit you like a bolt from the blue! That was no way for anyone to lose their lives. May his soul rest in peace.

and as was expected Jet pilot who ran over restaurant manager gets bail
Old 12th January 2011, 17:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

That pilot should be run over with a road engine, with the next of kin of the deceased at the wheel.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:55   #138
BHPian

Guys, lets not jump to the conclusions by seeing the amateurish reports from the media. There are many versions to this story.

I think that the pilot was pi**ed of by the rude behaviour of the deceased guy, and could have panicked and pressed the accelerator instead of trying to do something else. We don't know what his mental condition would have been at that time. But yes, if it was an intentional act, then he should be severely punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That pilot should be run over with a road engine, with the next of kin of the deceased at the wheel.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

This thread is about how to avoid road rage. Not how to investigate an alleged road rage incident.

I have found that occasionally smiling at strangers who make eye contact with you helps.
Old 12th January 2011, 18:14   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This thread is about how to avoid road rage. Not how to investigate an alleged road rage incident.

I have found that occasionally smiling at strangers who make eye contact with you helps.
You are correct regarding the thread topic but our posts were moved here by one of the mods from the Accidents in India thread where the discussion rages on.

You are correct regarding your second statement too but most of the times the gesture is neither reciprocated nor has the desired results. However that does not mean that we should give up
Old 12th January 2011, 18:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely, Some people are getting raged themselves as you can see from the posts. Let the legal system take its course and I guess its not our business to try a case based on whatever stories from the media.
I guess its best not to make eye contact with another motorist or road user while driving. They teach that in many countries.
Old 12th January 2011, 18:50   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You are correct regarding the thread topic but our posts were moved here by one of the mods from the Accidents in India thread where the discussion rages on.
Sometimes i guess mods also like to work in mysterious ways
But i can still see the same topic being discussed in that thread as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
I guess its best not to make eye contact with another motorist or road user while driving. They teach that in many countries.
In those countries, honking is also considered an act of aggression. But yes, avoiding eye contact is also an option.
Old 12th January 2011, 19:13   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the footage did show the pilot being walked to a police station and the guy's face had no sigs of having been punched. Someone who has been slapped hard will carry the tell tale blue/maroon marks for atleast a day here we are talking of someone who reportedly bled yet the face is clean. It is a COVER UP. The footage too is no where to be seen any more.

The photo of the body is proof enough that the guy must have been run over multiple times as he was DECAPITATED and the human neck is not so frail that it will be ripped off in one pass.

I spent my formative years in Dilli and far for being offended I am amused by your post above especially the way you have generalised the entire populace. I would have liked to term it as immature but then one realizes that you might have posted all of the above in a fit of keyboard rage.

What is wrong with Dilli is the attitude of the people who never treat the city as their own but try to look the other way when faced with an issue. "Why get involved this is not my native, I am going to settle elsewhere, I am only here for a job, business etc etc". This is also reflected in Sugeeta's post. Unfortunate indeed. This is further confirmed by the solution to the problem as suggested in your post, which incidentally reminds me of a tale that my mother used to narrate. It was regarding this horse who upon coming face to face with a lion would hide its head in the grass and since he could not see the lion anymore would think that he is safe, which he never was. Now I do not recall my mother ever telling me to look the other way but to stand up for myself as long as I was true and right. I am sure that majority of the people from not just the North but from all over the country would have heard the same from their mothers.

So, if you are really concerned with the way Dilli is speeding downhill then stop behaving like the horse, instead be a human being come back to Dilli and make the city your own. Once we do that only then will the city be absolved of its sins and be able to regain its old glory.

Oh and by the way if you feel offended by my post please do not as you are not amongst the scum having already moved out and all that.
Yes sir what you say is right.
However, have you really seen the reason why this (rage) is prevalent in Delhi, and not in other metro like say Bombay or Bangalore - where actually influx of "outsiders" will be equal if not more than Delhi?

Strange!?

Second thing is regarding the tales we heard in our childhood - lets not start discussion on it - most of the ppl in their adult lives do not follow what they learnt in such tales.

Do you?
Old 12th January 2011, 20:23   #144
BHPian

Looking at the pics of the body,there is no way the guy was run over FOUR times.nor is it possible

And i dont like the assumption that a guy who has/knows police/goverment officials is always the bad guy.when an accident happens the media rummages through all the links just for sensational news

And if a guy is getting aggressive and you know negotiation is not going to solve anything/no police around.what do you do? I've seen many such accidents where the affected guy does even wait to talk and starts with the blows.and the usual reaction is speeding away out of fright
Old 12th January 2011, 20:26   #145
Senior - BHPian

@alpha1

If you read my post carefully you will realize two things
1. I myself am a first generation outsider.
2. My grouse is not that outsiders are running Dilli down but the fact that outsiders do not adopt the city as their own even though they may spend a large chunk of their life there.

As for following the learnings from the tales. If you delve deeper you will realize that we all do some subconsciously others consciously at least as far as is humanly possible. If we didn't these stories would not have been narrated from one generation to the next and we certainly would not have heard them. The fact that even in today's fast paced life the stories are still being told is mute testimony to the fact. The methods of narration might have changed in keeping with the times, the gist behind the stories has not, that being timeless.

Last edited by khoj : 12th January 2011 at 20:41.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:31   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
However, have you really seen the reason why this (rage) is prevalent in Delhi, and not in other metro like say Bombay or Bangalore - where actually influx of "outsiders" will be equal if not more than Delhi?

Strange!?
Road rage is not limited to any city. It is prevailant everywhere even in peaceful cities like Pune
Incidents of humans getting crushed over a scratch are rare. I remember an incident and there is a thread on T-Bhp for that incident where a young guy was dragged several meters by a guy driving an OHC(?) near the old airport road (?) I am not really sure of the exact location. The point is he too lost his life over a fit of rage.

Out of north and south I think the best place is mid-India. Jai Maharashtra!
Old 12th January 2011, 20:38   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, if you are really concerned with the way Dilli is speeding downhill then stop behaving like the horse, instead be a human being come back to Dilli and make the city your own. Once we do that only then will the city be absolved of its sins and be able to regain its old glory.

Oh and by the way if you feel offended by my post please do not as you are not amongst the scum having already moved out and all that.
+1 to Khoj. It is Not just about Dilli. It is everywhere. Recently a 57 year old man was stabbed by three guys on a two wheeler in Bangalore. The fault of the old gentleman --> He rear ended a two wheeler and stopped and got down to pacify the three musketeers. Result - They stabbed him and ran away. The man died on the way to the hospital. And the rogues were not from dilli. But our own Bangalore.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:24   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You knew the guy?? This must have hit you like a bolt from the blue! That was no way for anyone to lose their lives. May his soul rest in peace.
I knew him due to professional reasons. Even so it came as an absolute shock. I can't imagine how unpredictable life can be at times.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:34   #149
BHPian

@ khoj, I appreciate your views on the issue of owning the place. However, please understand, my statement was purely from the comparison point of view.

Most of us in Delhi are rushing from one place to another all the time, distances being large. Traffic conditions compound the situation. All of us are trying to overtake each other in our urge to cover up time. Me included. No doubt, our tempers reflect our inner state. Smaller towns have a more sedate outlook towards life in general because the pace of life is sedate as well.

Most metros have a cosmopolitan mix of people. So all people residing in Delhi naturally become Delhiites. This is general statement. After living in Delhi for most of my life, I call myself a Delhiite as well.

Nontheless, killing each other for things like parking space or for that matter any thing, is just not acceptable. No matter where on globe it happens.

I recollect the sad case of a family from Naraina who lost their father in a similar incident of road rage in Karol Bagh. He was deliberately crushed by a vehicle when he accidentally grazed the sides of a vehicle while coming out of the parking row.

Again, Live and Let Live.

Cheers

Last edited by Sugeeta : 13th January 2011 at 16:41.
Old 13th January 2011, 23:17   #150
Senior - BHPian

City driving has been a nightmare, feels that it is worsening. In the last 4 months, my car has been hit twice for no fault of mine. Could have led to rage, but car insurance helps.

These days commutation is by office cab. That helps again.

Quote:
In my view, probably not a good idea. I avoid eye contact as far as possible as I believe it to be one of channels through which rage spreads. Wearing dark glasses helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks