Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 16:05   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to avoid road rage

It helps when you drive a big vehicle.

I drive a 42 GPW and Isuzu Trooper as my daily rides.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:26   #107
BHPian

I suffer from road rage symptoms.
In the past i have been in the middle of many incidents which if i retrospect now looks silly.
To overcome the same I purchased a scooter to avoid car travel in city and in this way i have improved a lot and also changed my riding style and skills.Nowdays i am happy and dont engage in any type of road rages.
I travel slow (40-50kmph) and still maintain the same time as my car trip.

On the same line of Road rage, wish to share a funny incident that happened to my close friend.

Once my friend was waiting in a signal on a scooter in Jayanagar.
When it turned green he moved ahead but from the Perpendicular road a person on scooter had not stopped at red and jumped the red signal proceeding rashly.
My friend avoided a collision and shouted on him and in return that gentlemen used some foul language.

Irritated by this my friend followed him to stop him and argue.
He kept on following him but that gentleman sensing my friend is following him, went straight to Jayanagar police station.

My friend went till the gate and was waiting there.Soon a PC came out and asked him to come inside.

Inside, The inspector warns both of them and collects 500Rs as fine without a receipt.When asked why he said for Rash driving.

My friend cursed the other person and himself for having lost money,temper and time.

Police earned 1000 rs just sitting in their chair without doing anything.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I have to travel almost 80 kms daily and to avoid meeting all kinds of studs on the road, I start early (8 am) and leave early (4:30 pm or thereabouts). That way, I dont pass through dense traffic both ways. Lesser idiots to deal with on the road. Plus good music on the way. Ignore any racing attempts by fellow drivers. No eye contact with potential trouble-makers, thats a definite thing to do. And yes, always believe that the person ahead of you or behind you could act funny. You automatically play safe and drive better and safer.
Well said wanderlustindia:

When behind the wheels, I cherish my drive. If its a mistake from my side, I acknowledge and very evidently and sincerely offer help.

If the mistake from the other side, I make sure the other side knows that it is their mistake passing on the message very lightly but firmly, assess the damage, thank God that I am insured and leave. No further discussions.

Thankfully I have not encountered any serious road rage issues as discussed here. I am sorry for those who had to go through these incidents.

I believe calm head, firm and purposeful dialouge and a smile can make a lot of difference.

And as for the road behaviour of rash drivers, it is just another addition to various other irritants we have around us (curruption, bad infrastructure, etc. etc.). So no use killing your mind thinking about it for long. Complain, curse and forget it.

Cheers!!
Kalesh
Old 5th January 2011, 19:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Can you imagine my dilemma on which side to take? Should I be a fearful, submissive person that I never was and never could be just because I have a family to care for? Or should I unleash the beast in me and give the, literate, uneducated, barbaric, rich idiots, my piece of mind. This unrest kills me; I somehow wish I never developed that common-sense. Or may be I need the advice of gurus who had been there and done that on how to handle this!!
I know most say forget and forgive, but it is becoming excessively difficult for me to control.
@anilisanil
I understand your dilemma and I guess most of us go through this when we travel with our loved ones (and especially kids). The worst part is that others see this as a weakness and raise their voices assuming we will have to back down as our family/ kids get agitated. It is a very difficult situation where you are torn between your own reaction and controlling it for the sake of your loved ones.
IMHO, if you are in an area where you feel either unsafe or intimidated, stay in the car and keep doors/ windows locked, unless someone is hurt badly. If you need to talk, signal to other guy outside to move away from your car and try to call someone nearby for assistance before getting out. If your car is in front, signal that you are pulling over. If your car isnt at the front, it isnt your responsibility - other people will want the vehicle in front to pull over so they can pass. Unfortunately, there are a lot of jobless idiots around to pass comments, and add to the crowd by saying 'kya hua?' (or 'kaay jhaala ho?' in Pune) to another bystander.
Most importantly, it helps to take a few deep breaths before doing anything.
Try to keep your hands in your pockets or folded across your chest to avoid being the first person to raise your hand in impulse. By all means, defend yourself from others.
In case of provocation by abuses, just think of the other guy describing himself with those abuses.
the unfortunate situation that the average Joe on the road lets out steam at someone else. we try to focus on what should be done next, rather than whose fault it was. However, this in itself is taken as an admission of a mistake, so one should be careful of what one says.
my brother in law was beaten up badly a few months ago by 3 goons at Nal stop at 11pm (these guys had parked their bikes in the middle of the road, and were upset for some reason. I suspect my BIL would have honked incessantly or done something to aggravate it). Sometimes it is better to move on ignoring the riff raff.
one thing I cannot make my peace with is how these morons are able to return to their normal lives after performing such high voltage drama. I end up thinking most of it is an ego issue and inability to share the meagre resources with fellow citizens ('grab the last piece of cake even though you dont really want it' syndrome). It is a reflection of how people are being groomed to be competitive in this dog eat dog world. what difference would it make if you miss the green signal and have to wait for the next one? One is ok to wait and argue for an hour but not ok to wait for a minute for traffic to clear?
One thing which I repeat to myself incessantly is that it isnt possible for me to educate or improve the world or its dog, on the road in 10 minutes. My objective is to get from Point A to Point B safely and if possible on time. Not everyone has the same objective while driving though, whats the point in driving rash and reaching early?
If I am worried about my responsibility towards the country/ people/ 'name your poison', the road isnt the correct place. There are other ways to do it - whether they work or not is anybodys guess.
Please ignore me if I happened to digress a bit
Old 5th January 2011, 22:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I be a fearful, submissive person that I never was and never could be just because I have a family to care for? Or should I unleash the beast in me and give the, literate, uneducated, barbaric, rich idiots, my piece of mind. ....
I know most say forget and forgive, but it is becoming excessively difficult for me to control.
Thats very well put anil, and a dilemma faced by me and most other motorists everyday.
They say its better to accept that your fellow motorist is going to be a rash and inconsiderate boor than to react to it. Easier said than done.

Just today evening, I was returning home from office. At a particular point on the road from Hinjewadi to wakad bridge it gets considerably narrow,ie, 3 lanes converge into 2. So idiots catch the left most lane overtaking all other cars in the "correct" lanes and then try to bully their way through. Even though I had clearly moved ahead and there was no way any other car could squeeze through, a sunlight copper coloured (MH12FU registered) Swift still managed to push in, I slammed my brakes hard, but he still hit my LHS ORVM in the process. At that moment, all I wanted to do was ram his car back with a big dump truck with spikes on its front. A few angry honks and furious light flashing later, I realised the futility of it. Switched off the radio and plugged in some light music I was carrying me and pretty soon I was smiling my way through the traffic jam.

PS :Where did this happen ?
Old 6th January 2011, 08:50   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

PS :Where did this happen ?
near Hinjewadi chowk where phase1 vehicles seperate from others.

BTW yesterday night similar incident with different results, I was in the middle lane and a wagon r guy tried to squeeze in, I did not see him coming as I was trying to adjust myself to the bus that was beside me on left. So at one point we both converging towards each other, I slammed my brakes, he slammed his, he made a frowning face.

I smiled and asked "kya bhai, achanak gus gaye aap"

"indicator diya tha" he said in a unrelenting way, squinting through his long hair.

"Ha but this is my right of way and I was trying to adjust my self looking at a bus behind, I don't expect you to get into my way like that" I said, smiling and shrugging.

"ok sorry" he said, I smiled back and gestured that I am moving ahead, he conceded, we went ahead!!

So things are not always bad, I guess there is a certain breed who show "herogiri" as they might think it on the road, may peace be upon them!!!
Old 9th January 2011, 14:35   #112
BHPian

hi
Nice thread. With so many idiots on the road we need to be careful and avoid road rage. One simple rule that has helped me for the last couple of years have been starting early for my work. Even if i know i can reach my work place in 30 mins to 45mins tops even in traffic i usually start one hour early. It really makes a difference. I usually have time to have a cup of coffee and chat for some time before my first case is due. No point in getting stressed up by other idiots on the road. I cant correct every nut case showing off on the road but i can avoid them. Likewise when in bad jam i try not to get into a bad mood. For instance couple of weeks back me and my better half were driving to vijayawada and at the outskirts of chennai there was a big pileup and the jam was extending for atleast couple of kilometers. We knew it was futile trying to jump lanes. So parked the car and enjoyed the refreshments in a local village. Interestingly we did see a temple where the priest was trying to get the demon out from a young girl (Found out it was actually a love affair gone wrong). Spent nearly 3 hours in that spot and returned back as i dont enjoy driving in the night times on the highway. But no regrets. Will be driving this month to vijayawada.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:51   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
near Hinjewadi chowk where phase1 vehicles seperate from others.
I smiled and asked "kya bhai, achanak gus gaye aap"
"indicator diya tha" he said in a unrelenting way, squinting through his long hair.
"Ha but this is my right of way and I was trying to adjust my self looking at a bus behind, I don't expect you to get into my way like that" I said, smiling and shrugging.
"ok sorry" he said, I smiled back and gestured that I am moving ahead, he conceded, we went ahead!!
So things are not always bad, I guess there is a certain breed who show "herogiri" as they might think it on the road, may peace be upon them!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
hi
Nice thread. With so many idiots on the road we need to be careful and avoid road rage. One simple rule that has helped me for the last couple of years have been starting early for my work. Even if i know i can reach my work place in 30 mins to 45mins tops even in traffic i usually start one hour early. It really makes a difference. I usually have time to have a cup of coffee and chat for some time before my first case is due. No point in getting stressed up by other idiots on the road. I cant correct every nut case showing off on the road but i can avoid them. Likewise when in bad jam i try not to get into a bad mood. For instance couple of weeks back me and my better half were driving to vijayawada and at the outskirts of chennai there was a big pileup and the jam was extending for atleast couple of kilometers. We knew it was futile trying to jump lanes. So parked the car and enjoyed the refreshments in a local village. Interestingly we did see a temple where the priest was trying to get the demon out from a young girl (Found out it was actually a love affair gone wrong). Spent nearly 3 hours in that spot and returned back as i dont enjoy driving in the night times on the highway. But no regrets. Will be driving this month to vijayawada.

It is amazing how much verbal communication with fellow drivers helps out in such a situation. Gestures can be mis interpreted, but a smile cannot (mostly!). After all, everyone is caught in the same situation - we might as well enjoy each others company while experiencing bad traffic/ roads/ other fellow morons.
In fact, I have been to certain places where drivers indicate to slow down if they know there are cops checking for documents, or with the speed gun. Even these gestures were misinterpreted and people end up realising only later what the gesture meant (after seeing the cops!)
Old 11th January 2011, 20:36   #114
BHPian

Delhi road rage: Pilot runs over man four times
Delhi road rage: Pilot runs over man four times - 1 - *News
Old 11th January 2011, 21:49   #115
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

A slight scratch to his car drove an airline pilot to towering rage, making him drive his car over the offending driver four times in the upscale Khan Market in south Delhi on Tuesday afternoon when thousands of shoppers were present. The incident took place outside Axis Bank in Khan Market at 1:50

p m, police said.
Rajiv Jolly, a resident of Dwarka, manager of the Amici restaurant in Khan Market, was driving a Hyundai that slightly grazed a Ford Ikon being driven by Vikas Aggarwal, a pilot with a private airline.

Road rage case: Pilot crushes man in Delhi's Khan Market - Hindustan Times

According to police, Rajiv was driving out of the market while Vikas Agarwal was driving into the market when their cars grazed.

"Rajiv, a restaurant manager, stepped outside his car and approached Vikas Agarwal and started giving his explanation, which soon turned into an argument," a police officer said.

"Enraged at Rajiv standing in front of his car, Agarwal hit him once and then repeatedly crushed him under his wheels around four times," the officer said.

A police team arrived on the spot and apprehended Agarwal. Rajiv was rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Khan Market is one of the oldest and most fashionable markets in the capital, with lots of upscale shops and restaurants, and frequented by hundreds of foreigners every day.

Confusing,as NDTv reports the exact opposite

Delhi road rage at its worst: Pilot runs over restaurant manager

Road rage led to a man being run over by a Jet Airways pilot at Delhi's poshest market, Khan Market.

Rajiv Jolly, a manager at a restaurant in the market, got into a minor collision with Vikas Aggarwal, a pilot.

Jolly then stepped out of his car and tried to beat the pilot, who was still inside his car, and moved forward. Jolly was run over by the pilot's car. Police officials say it's not clear if Aggarwal meant to run over the manager, or whether it was an accident.

The manager was taken to hospital where he was declared dead.

Read more at: Delhi road rage at its worst: Pilot runs over restaurant manager
Old 11th January 2011, 22:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Jolly then stepped out of his car and tried to beat the pilot, who was still inside his car, and moved forward. Jolly was run over by the pilot's car.
If you wish to beat up a driver of a car while he's still in it, you would be standing next to the door. How can a car run over you when you're standing next to it? The NDTV report is rather unclear

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 11th January 2011 at 22:29.
Old 11th January 2011, 22:47   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If you wish to beat up a driver of a car while he's still in it, you would be standing next to the door. How can a car run over you when you're standing next to it? The NDTV report is rather unclear
maybe the pilot reversed and went over his feet first then ran him over.

was that scratch worth a life?
Old 11th January 2011, 23:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

This is plain weird. How can one accidentally drive over someone at close quarters in a manner so as to kill him? In any case, lets wait for full details of the case. I fear forming judgments on suchs cases nowadays. You never really know what happened.
Old 11th January 2011, 23:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
This is plain weird. How can one accidentally drive over someone at close quarters in a manner so as to kill him? In any case, lets wait for full details of the case. I fear forming judgments on suchs cases nowadays. You never really know what happened.
not accidently, deliberately. lets see how the story unfolds.
Old 12th January 2011, 00:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
A slight scratch to his car drove an airline pilot to towering rage, making him drive his car over the offending driver four times in the upscale Khan Market in south Delhi on Tuesday afternoon when thousands of shoppers were present. The incident took place outside Axis Bank in Khan Market at 1:50
It is immaterial whether he was on the side or in front, the photo in the link clearly show that the man has been decapitated. This is human behaviour at it's lowest and not only am I ashamed that this happened in Dilli but I am frightened that the person involved is someone with no control on his emotions and could have flown any one of us along with 200 others in a speeding tin tube 20000 feet up. What is next? Pilot rams jet in to another to settle scores.

EDIT Just saw the news bulletin now, per the deceased's brother in law who was interviewed at 10.00 pm the police is trying to show this as a freak accident. The family has not been given a primary report and there is no sign of a FIR. Per the relative the airlines authorities with whom the pilot is employed are colluding with the police to hush it or to turn it around to show it as if the deceased was the offender and the pilot while trying to escape accidently ran him over.

Last edited by khoj : 12th January 2011 at 00:16.

Most Viewed