Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 08:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishkar41 View Post
let me tell something of surat, here using dipper people will start thinking that he had some problem with car. people use horn even in night, always keep headlight up on highway, never hesitate to go long on wrong side. Happily pay fine if caught and feel pride for it.
??????? What else I could do... Incredible India...!!!!
Old 26th November 2007, 16:06   #62
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
No, we don't have it in India. It sounds very interesting. Very true, especially if the car has two rear fog lamps!
The Daewoo Cielos and Daewoo Nexias sold in India, had two rear fog lamps as standard equipment! India is not new to rear fog lamps.

I have also seen a Laura in Pune with a one-sided rear fog lamp, driving in clear weather with the rear fog on.

Long ago, whilst circumambulating the Kraalingse Plas in Rotterdam, a fog wafted out of the lake and visibility plummeted. I switched on my Ford Taunus's rear fog lamps for safety. On the other side of the lake there was no fog, and I had neglected to switch my rear fogs off.

Promptly I was pulled over by a police car for having fog lamps on when there was no fog. I explained my logic and the policeman let me off as I was a foreigner with a US license. Could have gotten a ticket and a fine otherwise.

But here at home in India, I've seen people whose cars have rear fog lights switch them on, as if it were another Diwali light.

Ram
Old 26th November 2007, 16:36   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice picture.

Good story too
Old 26th November 2007, 20:59   #64
BHPian

the situation is going out of hand for me.
night driving has become a big headache, might also increase my B.P.

I req the bhpians to submit how they deal with the situation.

If I dont get some solution, Im planning to spend $ on all major local newspapers and educate the "drivers", (in association with the local R.T.O(if,...))

it's better than spending money on the damaged cars/lives
Old 26th November 2007, 21:21   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it bad, and very tiring.

The bright lights have an almost magnetic effect on the eyes, we are drawn to look into them. My father (Thad's Dad's Hints Series ) taught me to look at the curb on the left hand side of the car, away from the lights, but this is very hard to do here on Chennai roads, especially when you are trying not to run into the meridian.

Which also makes me think: it is a good idea to drive as far to the left as possible. Again, a hard thing on Chennai Streets, and probably many other roads of India if one doesn't want a stream of dead dogs, cows, etc etc in one's wake.

Given that the culprit is often an SUV, using their lights as part of the bully strategy, I think it takes more than publicity and education. Ignorance is easy to cure; arrogance is far harder.
Old 28th November 2007, 12:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

"Ignorance is easy to cure; arrogance is far harder."
Well said T_E_G...
We need to educate the Traffic cops first and then they can 'educate' the drivers in their own way...

Example: I saw people switching off their lights while waiting at traffic lights (Strange habit, never seen this abroad). When I asked my driver friend, he said, the traffic cops ask us to do so. (So it seems this could work too.. regardless is it necessart or not.)..

-->Ashutosh: I suggest we could try educating through traffic cops by printing out small leaf-lets with some pictures showing how HI-BEAM affects the other driver and distribute to all drivers at traffic lights...
Old 28th November 2007, 12:49   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Example: I saw people switching off their lights while waiting at traffic lights (Strange habit, never seen this abroad). When I asked my driver friend, he said, the traffic cops ask us to do so. (So it seems this could work too.. regardless is it necessart or not.
What i heard from people is, whoever is using the higher wattage bulbs like 100/90 or 130/90 without ceramic holders switch off the lights when the vehicle is idle.

The logic as per them is, when the vehicle is running the air flow is enough to dissipate the heat created by these bulbs. So they need to switch it off in idle.
Old 28th November 2007, 12:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Example: I saw people switching off their lights while waiting at traffic lights (Strange habit, never seen this abroad). When I asked my driver friend, he said, the traffic cops ask us to do so. (So it seems this could work too.. regardless is it necessart or not.)..
Are you saying people turn off all lights or only headlights? It's not strange to switch off headlights while waiting for green light at traffic signals. You are only prolonging the life of your headlight bulbs this way. I usually follow this practice like many others, without any intervention from cops.
Old 28th November 2007, 18:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

I mean they switch off Headlights... Well the reason you gave for the practice sure makes sense, but it is a bit strange for me, as I haven't seen it abroad..
Old 28th November 2007, 18:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean they switch off Headlights... Well the reason you gave for the practice sure makes sense, but it is a bit strange for me, as I haven't seen it abroad..
AFAIK, vehicles should switch on headlights only when they are moving. If they stop, like a bus at bus-stop or vehicles at traffic signals, they should switch off headlights & switch on the parking light.

Head lights: Vehicle is moving.
Parking lights: Vehicle is stationary.

This is a convention of traffic communication.

PS: When you want to give way to vehicle coming from opposite direction, switch off your headlights. This means the other vehicle can pass you. This is done mostly in single lane roads & at intersections.
Old 29th November 2007, 02:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Ashutosh: I suggest we could try educating through traffic cops by printing out small leaf-lets with some pictures showing how HI-BEAM affects the other driver and distribute to all drivers at traffic lights...
I have a ordered leaf-lets for my business this week, I might as well print it on the back. I could use longevity of the headlight thing for when at stop, but what to say about dippers? Is there a driving guide that I could use quotes from? How should it read?
Old 29th November 2007, 07:04   #72
BHPian

I saw people switching off their lights while waiting at traffic lights (Strange habit, never seen this abroad). When I asked my driver friend, he said, the traffic cops ask us to do so. (So it seems this could work too.. regardless is it necessart or not.)..

If it is a vintage/classic car some may switch off as the headlights drain the battery and the car would not start when you try to after having ice cream/coffee.

As long as the parking lights are ON I think it is alright.The question should be why don't they switch OFF headlights in a traffic signal abroad.

The vehicle manufacturers also can place the headlights lower as VOLVO B7R bus than placing it so high as a Mahindra van.
Old 29th November 2007, 13:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

[quote=stampro;641118]
As long as the parking lights are ON I think it is alright.The question should be why don't they switch OFF headlights in a traffic signal abroad.
quote]

Well, abroad, If a vehicle in the middle of the road, waiting for traffic lights switch off their lights, it means the car has some trouble and might not be moving. And at traffic lights all cars will be with their low-beams anyway and there is no disturbance to the persons waiting/mving in the opposite direction.

In India, I guess the traffic cops ask the drivers in the front row of cars waiting at signals to switch off their lights, because, most of them are with HI-BEAMS and only to avoid the lights hitting right on his face, obstructing his vision and as such there is no other such requirement.
Old 29th November 2007, 13:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
I have a ordered leaf-lets for my business this week, I might as well print it on the back. I could use longevity of the headlight thing for when at stop, but what to say about dippers? Is there a driving guide that I could use quotes from? How should it read?
Here are some general guidelines:
1. Avoid HI-BEAM within City Limits.
2. Use your dippers in the night when cars are coming from the front.
3. Use HI-BEAM only when there are NO LIGHTS on the road and no cars coming from the front.
4. Using HI-BEAM when cars coming in the opposite direction can be blinding and dangerous.
5. Using HI-BEAM does not improve your visibility against their the opposite car's lights.

(Folks, I have used simple English that could be understood by our Indian cab drivers... )
Old 1st December 2007, 19:21   #75
BHPian

^^ Editing it a bit.

1. Avoid HI-BEAM within City Limits. >>Make it - Use Low Beam in city.
2. Use your dippers in the night when cars are coming from the front.
3. Use HI-BEAM only when there are NO LIGHTS on the road and no cars coming from the front.
4. Using HI-BEAM when cars coming in the opposite direction can be blinding and dangerous.
5. Using HI-BEAM does not improve your visibility against their the opposite car's lights. ( Also add "it eats up more battery" Maybe they will switch to low beam to save on battery)

And make that in local language. That's the only way they will understand.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 1st December 2007 at 19:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks