Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 15:22   #31
BHPian

I generally drive around using the low beam most of the time and flash people driving on high beam. Some of them will disregard you and keep running on high beam, in which case I flip to the high beam as well as flip the other driver the bird as I pass by.
The irritating (and dangerous) thing is that some guys who lower the beam will switch back to high beam 3 seconds before the cars pass each other. Three seconds before passing the guy, I am suddenly blinded. Honestly, can't the guy wait an extra couple of seconds before switching back after we've safely crossed each other.

I sometimes feel like putting a row of Hellas, and turning them all on for such inconsiderate drivers.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:08   #32
BHPian

You are not alone pal. I even feel that I should get those search lights they used to use in world war 2 to shoot planes at night and mount them with a laser guide that will automatically focus on cars that have high beams on.
Old 15th November 2007, 13:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. I too have given up to the maniacs with dazzling lights. I feel like fitting a device that can direct my headlight beam directly on the oncoming driver's face, with height control so that buses and trucks are not excluded. Only then these suckers will learn.
Anyone know if such a device is available??
Old 15th November 2007, 13:59   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

But if you blind them back, they may well run into you.

This is a totally can't-win situation
Old 15th November 2007, 14:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But if you blind them back, they may well run into you.

This is a totally can't-win situation
No way dude, I will be wide apart. My 'angular' focus will get them however.
Old 15th November 2007, 14:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

I believe we can educate / enforce the low-beam requirement in several ways.
1. Impose spot fine for those using high-beams within city limits.

2. Display stickers "Do not use high beam within city limits" in prominant place like the dashboard of all the cabs and buses.
This may even be enforced by those high profile IT companies through their Logistics department who manage these rental cabbies and bus service providers.

3. Placing Hoardings or display boards at vantage points with animated pictures showing how one driver gets blinded by the other's high beam.

I guess a combination of enforcement and awareness can minimize this menace to a large extent.

Will the concerned take any steps in this direction... (Now please dont ask me who's concerned, I don't have an answer...)
Old 15th November 2007, 15:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Esp the TATA ACE load auto's. I wonder what's the lights spects given by manf. I doubt whether these guys will spend and upgrade the lights.

Is upgrading the lights and staying at low beams an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
I am driving from T.Nagar to Pallikaranai and I pass thru Velacheri, Vijayanagaram and this road is packed with all kind of vehciles plying for the IT companies in the IT highway.
Are you employed in CTS? How is the food supplied by SGR Foods?
Old 15th November 2007, 15:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

CTS...???? SGR Foods...???
Well. In fact, I am working in T.Nagar and living in Pallikaranai.. I am working for a Spanish company who are building 100 MLD sea water desalination plant in the North of Chennai and I have my office at T.Nagar.
Old 16th November 2007, 15:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days I almost hit a the divider on airport road. One the morons with high beam in omni did not even bother to use dipper even tough I was continuously flashing my dippers. After passing his car, I yelled at him in local lanuguage @#$%&@#$ to put the head lights into low beam.

Nowadays even 2 wheeler lights are blinding us. These guys do not even bother to put the lights into low beam blinding the on coming traffic.

One more problem which I'am facing and hope others too is the vehicle owners will switch on only one head light with high beam. I do not know what makes them do this . I wondered how does this help them to save power? (in batteries) . We cannot assume whether the oncoming vehicle is big/huge/small etc etc. Onky thing currently I'am doing with these kind of errant drivers is yell at them.
Old 16th November 2007, 18:05   #40
BHPian

He he I do follow the High low beam to ritual, even if the opposite guy does not, Have fitted extra lamps foccussing towars left and front so that I can see what's ahead of me without blinding the hi beamer. And sometimes when they get on my nerves, do a little kamakazi, the hi beam from opposite instantly turns to low.
BTW I do think the auto dipper should me made mandatory for manufacturing process, and it is not difficult to intregate it in such a way that tinkering with it will render the unit and the bulb useless. Defeating the roadside mechanics.
Old 16th November 2007, 18:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

High beam from the ultra-high buses are the worst culprit. Some have something like 4 to 6 highlights - all at highbeams. Forget the opposite direction, its blinding even if I am in front of them.

In cities most of the BPO cabs are permanently on high beam. And also when few newbies are driving the cars (slightly better than no lights ). Few Pulsars (sorry no offence, they seem be so many on roads) high beams are also a nuisance.

I regulary follow High2Low dipper on highways. Apart from being a good practise, it keeps me active & involved in the driving.

PS: In cities, I am always on low beam. Only if the road is inadequately lit and the speed is high (above 50Kmph), I switch on the high beam.
Old 17th November 2007, 01:54   #42
BHPian

Raja,

Nice topic. Like you mentioned, I've found truck drivers to be more courteous when it comes to dipping. And I've noticed this consistently in the last several years of my highway driving experience. Of late, I've found buses to be the main culprits on highways. They just don't care whether you lower your beam or turn off your lights!

A few years ago, Bangalore traffic police actually starting enforcing the "no high beam in the city" rule. They forced people to switch to parking lights and warned those who drove with high beam. It worked pretty well for a few weeks. One could see a significant difference. Many even started switching off their headlights at the traffic signals. I guess education helps to a large extent. And beyond that it is a matter of whether courtesy figures in a driver's list of priorities.

OT: Is there a thread that discusses the right kind of number plates to use? I heard there was soon going to be a big drive(in Bangalore) to book all those with jazzy plates and funny fonts.
Old 17th November 2007, 09:56   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that majority of indian drivers dont know the concept of high beam and low beam as the driving populace is increasing phenomenally. Traffic regulators should take up the task of teaching ( via, ads, newsprints, hoardings) these guys that low beam is meant for city driving and high beams to be used on highways for better visibility.

In cities, if you dip also, the opposite driver either does not know or chooses to ignore the signal adding to the already increasing road-rage and possible risk of an accident.

God save us all until the driving populace understand the importance of this signal.

Until, then lets swerve and avoid being hit by these nerds
Old 17th November 2007, 11:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

I stay at low beam and when I see an oncoming vehicle with a high beam, I flash the light once. If there is no response, Iam left with only option of switching it too high beam till I cross that vehicle. Feel sorry for the vehicle coming in opp directions as Iam sure it will be very difficult with my upgraded headlamps. Iam trying to restrict this as two wheelers who follows the car were too getting affected because of this

Any one pointed out that in almost every swifts the fog lamps were on everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Is upgrading the lights and staying at low beams an issue?
To add to my earlier query, IS IT A VIOLATION OF MVA

Last edited by Surprise : 17th November 2007 at 11:23.
Old 17th November 2007, 19:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ince i roughed my car against the median because the guy in the opposite lane blinded me. Many people though they dip lights when you did at them, they get back to Hi-beam with in few seconds even before crossing you.

Once an Innove blinded me, i stopped my car in the center of the road, switched on hi-beam and stalled him. i walked to him and asked him to switch off the hi-beam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks