Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 18:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Abhilash,the owner of this wagon r just stepped out of my office.It was an after market kit.He was lucky enough to escape this incident.The car is a total loss and the police formalities are being cleared now.
ram
Old 26th March 2008, 18:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Defn uisng LPG in car won't be a problem.
I have been using LPG Lovoto kit my WagonR 2005 model for more than a year.
I haven't faced any problem till now except the FE
I heard from my installer that if LPG leaks from the tank atonce it fades out in the air.it won't get fire by electrical parts in a car.
So no worry in using LPG.But go for original kit and good installers.
Old 15th May 2008, 14:38   #48
BHPian

LPG Bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS- Heard of LPG Splendour, Enfield, ??? I have seen them in my place..!!
Never ever heard of those. Can you throw some light on it? for instance, any pics, where is the tank fitted, what costs and so on!
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 9th April 2013, 10:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: So How Safe are the lpg\Cng equipped Cars ?

A friend posted this "caught in action" pictures of a CNG equipped car blowing up like a bomb near Banani Model Town, Bangladesh.

Here's what he had to say "Saw the car burning in my own eyes. The explosion of the cng cylinder was like a powerful bomb. God knows who the poor victim was."

Source: FB
Attached Thumbnails
How Safe are the LPG / CNG-equipped Cars?-9937_10151352867616711_1441390133_n.jpg  

How Safe are the LPG / CNG-equipped Cars?-60658_10151352869301711_1554260814_n.jpg  

Old 9th April 2013, 11:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

If anybody planning to use Alternate fuels like LPG/CNG, first understand who is doing the job and dont fall for cheap prices, safety comes at a cost. People who opt for low price kits compromise on safety, ensure atleast you are buying closed loop kits if not sequential types. Never go for a open loop kit as it is not a safe option and even RTO's do not approve them anymore. Check for the legitimity of the kit and try to approach fair number of installers before finalising on one of them. It would be a good idea if we can start a thread or share information of genuine installers and share the installation photos in Team-Bhp.
Old 9th April 2013, 14:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Never go for a open loop kit as it is not a safe option and even RTO's do not approve them anymore.
Are you sure?
As per me, there is no safety difference between open loop and closed loop system.
The only difference between the 2 is a actuator and a CPU that regulates the CNG flow into the intake manifold by taking inputs about the air fuel mixture from the oxygen sensor.
And Mumbai RTO still do certify them.

Greenglobe at Mulund, Mumbai is a good installer.

UM
Old 10th April 2013, 11:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

All MPFI cars mandatorily are needed to be fitted with closed loop systems and any car with plastic intake manifold should have sequential kits as per existing norms. In an open loop system LPG is supplied from butterfly valve point itself through a venturi and there is no regulation of supply, by the time it reaches the intake manifold it is already filled with fumes, in case of backfiring your vehicle is at risk of catching fire. When an open loop kit is used a BS-3 norm petrol vehicle is like a BS-1 vehicle when running on LPG. BS-3 norms and prior vehicles were equipped with Metal manifolds and it could withstand the back firing to an extent. All modern cars are now having plastic intake manifold and it cannot withstand any back firing. The chance of a fire mishap is high so the norms are stricter now for MPFI cars. It is always safe to go for a closed loop system atleast if budget does not permit although the backfiring is not totally eliminated in this kit also.

Last edited by deehunk : 10th April 2013 at 11:05. Reason: add info
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks