Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2011, 15:15   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
umm... could be a BHPian trying to get your attention?
Yeah i had thought of that possibility. But sometimes the vehicle behind me is a Taxi Indica or Sumo or a Bus.

If somebody does this to me i wave my hand outside the window to indicate to them to fly over me. I hope the car following me is not a BHPian.
Old 27th February 2011, 15:21   #1592
Senior - BHPian

What is more funny is people, specially bikers, flashing their headlights at the bumper of a bus or truck in front of them! They expect the driver will magically see them flashing their headlights right under the tail of the bus/truck and move over! Its not common but I have seen this antic by cars as well.
Old 27th February 2011, 15:22   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@honeybee:
There are bad drivers, there are good drivers.
There are good riders and bad riders.
I accept that there are good riders and there are bad riders. However I haven't yet seen good ones. For drivers, I can at least say I see quite a few good ones everyday. So for me the community of good bike riders doesn't exist yet.

I can understand it will evoke strong emotions among those who either ride their bikes sensibly, or love their bikes too much to see anyone attempting to lie them down on the road, but it's really that bad. I can't help it.

Old 27th February 2011, 19:14   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I accept that there are good riders and there are bad riders. However I haven't yet seen good ones. For drivers, I can at least say I see quite a few good ones everyday. So for me the community of good bike riders doesn't exist yet.

I can understand it will evoke strong emotions among those who either ride their bikes sensibly, or love their bikes too much to see anyone attempting to lie them down on the road, but it's really that bad. I can't help it.

I'm a more of a biker than a Driver, I like the freedom it gives you. But I agree with you, As days go by, the good and experienced riders are becoming fewer and extinct. There are many idiots loose on the roads on two wheels , Most of them don't even know how to sit on a bike while riding. I see lot of guys riding with their toes pointed outwards away from the brake and gear lever, Some sitting to a side, Some dragging both legs on the ground while taking a U-turn. I've even seen some riding their bikes solo with their legs on the rear foot pegs meant for the pillion! Blame the system where licences are purchased, Tests mean making a figure of eight(What is this, the audition for a street Circus?), Fines too are irrational. I mean a school kid will be having a 100 rupee note in his pocket. And does it really hurt a bit to loose a hundred bucks these days?

Last edited by jalex77 : 27th February 2011 at 19:21.
Old 27th February 2011, 20:16   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
... Tests mean making a figure of eight(What is this, the audition for a street Circus?), ...
I guess even if they made the applicants draw a figure of eight while riding or driving, it would eliminate a lot of bad drivers. Add to your list of points the minimum age for a driving license, which is 18. People end up getting their driving licenses at an age which is never famous for making rational decisions or showing restraint or patience.

Old 27th February 2011, 21:16   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I guess even if they made the applicants draw a figure of eight while riding or driving, it would eliminate a lot of bad drivers. Add to your list of points the minimum age for a driving license, which is 18. People end up getting their driving licenses at an age which is never famous for making rational decisions or showing restraint or patience.

I personally dont believe that its the age limit that's the problem here. Its how easy the tests are and easier done- No tests at all if there's a fat pocket. (I have a neighbour who's completely deaf, But somehow got a licence and drives around. How do they assess if an applicant has got the aptitude for riding or driving?) They should take them out on all kinds of roads, make them ride through junctions and traffic and evaluate whether they are fit to ride or drive and they should also make the tests more harder.

And if the fines are heftier, people will ahave some reluctance to violate a law. At the moment courts where I practice are charging near to maximum fines by the book, But it still is a joke. I mean where in the world can you run over a guy and if he's not dead but just about able to breathe for the rest of his life, pay a fine like 3000 rupees and go home like you fooled someone. I see this happen every other day. I've even seen people say, "That idiot jumped in front me, now he's threatening me to take me to court, Huh, I might lose a couple of thousands in fine, I dont care for that, He cant hang me, And he's the loser and he's gonna be a cripple for the rest of his life."

If the fines were reasonable and imprisonment was compulsory for such offences, No one would dare to drive reckless in the first place let alone say those kind of things after running over someone, All age groups included.

Nowadays I hate taking out the car cause I get more tense while driving around, people drive or ride as if they are almost going to hit your car in traffic, No matter how far you keep away. And if they manage to hit you, They will scream and tell you to go ahead and go to court. It will be your loss. On a bike I have a better chance to get away when something comes opposite in the wrong lane. Atleast you just need a couple of feet road width to escape these breaknecks. And as far as I see, bad drivers are here to stay at the moment.

Last edited by jalex77 : 27th February 2011 at 21:25.
Old 27th February 2011, 21:43   #1597
BHPian

Age, responsibility, care about other human beings etc are points more pertinent. Parents allowing kids to drive even before getting license, parents themselves are arrogant while driving and the same is being passed on to their kids. The other day I saw a father with a small kid on the petrol tank, spit on the road while waiting in the signal after chewing paan. Immediately, the son also spit though without paan on the road for the heck of it which was appreciated by the father.

I see lot of youngsters getting their vehicle due to opulence of their parents being arrogant in the road. There are responsible persons also but they could be numbered.

Bad drivers cannot be controlled by LAW always. In a populous country, you cannot afford to have a policeman for every citizen. The change has to come within and taught in the family. Elders should teach their kids to act more responsibly.

When that day would come? We shall keep our fingers crossed. Till such time, we may have to go on telling this. At any cost do not stop. If one is able to bring a change in just a person a day it is more than sufficient. TRY Continuously doing the same.

All the Best to all. Drive Fast but Safe.
Old 27th February 2011, 22:08   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Age, responsibility, care about other human beings etc are points more pertinent. Parents allowing kids to drive even before getting license, parents themselves are arrogant while driving and the same is being passed on to their kids. The other day I saw a father with a small kid on the petrol tank, spit on the road while waiting in the signal after chewing paan. Immediately, the son also spit though without paan on the road for the heck of it which was appreciated by the father.

I see lot of youngsters getting their vehicle due to opulence of their parents being arrogant in the road. There are responsible persons also but they could be numbered.

Bad drivers cannot be controlled by LAW always. In a populous country, you cannot afford to have a policeman for every citizen. The change has to come within and taught in the family. Elders should teach their kids to act more responsibly.

When that day would come? We shall keep our fingers crossed. Till such time, we may have to go on telling this. At any cost do not stop. If one is able to bring a change in just a person a day it is more than sufficient. TRY Continuously doing the same.

All the Best to all. Drive Fast but Safe.
You got that right, But I beg to differ on some things. In my line of work, I see a lot of people, some are innocent, some are criminals, some were ignorant. And what I have learnt is that when the punishment suits the crime, People seldom want be on the wrong side of the law.

For instance we had a campaign on garbage disposal in our town. Then came the enforcement, At first people who threw garbage irresponsibly were caught and fined 500 rupees, Still some people went on with their antics, Then some shop keepers and a government financial institution were caught in the act. This time the offenders were fined two thousand each and were told to remove all the junk thrown on the side of the street by themselves. It was covered by media and now we have a clean city. There might be one or two cases otherwise, But still 95 percent of the issue is over.

In another instance, the cops were around town with speed radars, after some people got caught in a few days, there was not a single accident on the roads which were patrolled. (One of my colleagues even got his licence suspended for 14 days after getting caught twice. Now he's more careful and drives more responsibly.) But later on the cops stopped the patrolling and in a month, things are back as usual. You dont need a cop for every person. You need a cop to catch atleast 20 percent of the offenders and make them to account. If there is good enforcement and zero tolerance, there wont be trouble with law breakers.

Last edited by jalex77 : 27th February 2011 at 22:11.
Old 27th February 2011, 22:51   #1599

A couple of pages ago i was shocked to see a lot of outrage against two wheeler owners parking parallel to the footpath like you usually park a car. I always do that. Who the hell are you to judge how I should park. The way I park is not illegal, so who the hell are you to block my two wheeler in with your car? You are lucky the owner of the two wheeler wasn't me, or you would have had more than a few scratches on your car to worry about!!

Stop thinking you OWN the road just because you have a car!

EDIT: If you cant steer your car out from a tight parking space, maybe you should consider a BUS or walking! As it is not the guy who has parked a foot behind you who is a bad driver but it is YOU!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 27th February 2011 at 22:55.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:26   #1600
BHPian

Well cyrus sir, if you read the full page carefully, it is the bike that is parked in the place that is OFFICIALLY MARKED BY LAW only for four wheelers as in my case ,and in case of others I'd really like to see someone remove a car out when the bike is parked exactly behind you and in-front of you have a footpath almost touching your bumper.

Well I do not know the law much but but a biker who parks dead center in the place marked for four wheelers blocking the rights of car owner, well I guess It is safe to say it's illegal.

Last edited by richie4u : 27th February 2011 at 23:28.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:34   #1601

Im sorry, but in that picture a few pages ago, I see no indication that the place in for cars only. And apart from that, there is another mention about how bikes GENERALLY park parallel so as to save a few seconds. I presume this is an open parking bay and not some specific for cars parking bay. Who gives you the right to even touch a two wheeler if it is parked that way and move it to park your own car?

EDIT: I will go further and say, I generally park my two wheeler on the road outside my house in a way no other car can park there so as to reserve a place for my car when I come back. Show me where this is illegal. Does this mean I am a bad driver.

Assumptions are ok, but assuming your assumptions to be true enough to become convictions are for frivolous fools!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 27th February 2011 at 23:36.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:52   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
...I generally park my two wheeler on the road outside my house in a way no other car can park there so as to reserve a place for my car when I come back.
Why do you do all these difficult tasks?*

You can just drive the car and park it outside your house, at first!

* I'm just getting my doubts cleared. Kindly take no offence.

Quote:
Show me where this is illegal.

Until and unless you park your vehicle in the no parking zone, it can't be considered illegal.

Quote:
Assumptions are ok, but assuming your assumptions to be true enough to become convictions are for frivolous fools!
I like the above words. Let me share this in FB.

Last edited by Klub Class : 27th February 2011 at 23:53.
Old 28th February 2011, 00:14   #1603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im sorry, but in that picture a few pages ago, I see no indication that the place in for cars only. And apart from that, there is another mention about how bikes GENERALLY park parallel so as to save a few seconds. I presume this is an open parking bay and not some specific for cars parking bay. Who gives you the right to even touch a two wheeler if it is parked that way and move it to park your own car?

EDIT: I will go further and say, I generally park my two wheeler on the road outside my house in a way no other car can park there so as to reserve a place for my car when I come back. Show me where this is illegal. Does this mean I am a bad driver.

Parking your two wheeler parallel to the pavement is alright, there is nothing wrong with that. Especially parking it right in front of your house so that you get to save that space for your four wheeler.

Parking your two wheeler parallel to the pavement, in a crowded parking lot or by the side of the street where parking is allowed is alright as well. But that's being a little inconsiderate towards others who probably have four wheelers and would have wanted to park it there.

Now one could argue for the sake of arguing, and say that there is nothing wrong with that. But I'd like to believe that people could be more considerate while parking their two wheelers appropriately, so as to allow others to accommodate their vehicles in that spot.

But yes! Just because a person parks his two wheeler like that, doesn't give anyone the right to move it about, and especially, leave it on the road without any consideration. By doing that, you're being equally inconsiderate, and that is, by no means, the right approach. Yes, anger does get the better of us in such situations. But it is best to keep calm.

Frankly, I dislike two-wheelers. I dislike them so much that if I'm given enough power, I'd gladly employ sharp-shooters on balconies all around Bangalore and take them down one by one, whenever they cut me off or try and overtake me while taking a turn.

This was my story about a month ago.

I've sobered down now. I don't get as angry as I used to. I just give them way if they try anything remotely crazy around my car.

Respect other road users and be as considerate as you can to them, even two wheelers. It doesn't hurt. You might reach your destination 5 minutes late, but you'd reach with a calm and cool head.
Old 28th February 2011, 01:01   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd gladly employ sharp-shooters on balconies all around Bangalore and take them down one by one
OT:

rooftops are better. i'll let you know the equipment i'll need btw, can we expand this program to include corrupt people sucking the life out of our country?
Old 28th February 2011, 01:57   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I'm confused ... because I'd rather bikers parked parallel to the pavement. I'm fed up with narrow streets being obstructed by back end of bike! Of course, parallel to the pavement and six feet away from it amounts to the same thing.

next ... I'd rather see a bike parked parallel, taking up the space of a car, than jammed between two cars, obstructing both of them.

more ... as a vehicle, a bike is entitled to take up its length of a whole lane of traffic. It should do so according to ordinary lane rules and etiquette, not causing unnecessary delays, but also should not be bullied out of the way. Let the bike have his lane. Let the bikers not make another fourteen lanes in and among the three lanes of moving traffic.

I'm not laying down any law, because I can't. Others may agree, or disagree, or, quite likely, improve on my ideas.

Most Viewed