Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 17:25   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

on Saturday we had been to Central at Mayo Hall and as we were getting into the parking, i saw 3-4 youngsters in a Polo and the driver was trying to squeeze into a cramped space (about 3in on both sides); i pointed at them and told my wife these people won't be able to get out if they park in that slot. what happened next made us laugh out loud!

the driver of the Polo, still not realising that nobody would be able to get out, parked the car, rolled up the windows, killed the lights tried to get out and in the process i think he banged the door on the car next door. the passengers, realising the folly, started making fun of the guy driving and had him back out the car and park it somewhere more spacious.

for no fault of it own, the car next door got a dent!
Old 7th March 2011, 17:32   #1637
BHPian

I believe it just boils down to how inconsiderate people can be to the inconvenience this could cause others. I have seen seemingly decent people park their cars in the driveway space in a parking lot thus blocking over 20 cars parked beyond, when I pointed this to the gentle(?)man , he said he is back in 5 minutes, he needs to go somewhere urgently!!

I have morons who park their vehicles in front of my gate inspite of a board requesting them not to, it is so frustrating when someone does this - I conclude that it is not that they do not know what they are doing, they just don't care , lot of times I think I should deflate two of the tyres so that, these guys learn what inconvenience means
Old 7th March 2011, 17:37   #1638
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have learnt to live with these dents. Call me bad but I try to keep more than usual distance between an already parked car and my car. Of course the guy who comes to park next to me later can do anything he wants.
Old 8th March 2011, 01:46   #1639
BHPian

Had a REALLY bad scare two days in a row!

Yesterday - I was on the FC road, Middle lane. Just crossed the signal, open road in front, doing 30-40 in 3rd. I saw this santro, coming from a lane on the left (T Junction, where the lane joins the FC Road). It clearly was my road, the car slowed down, I maintained my speed as I could see the driver (it was a girl) look at me, and visibly slow down. Just as I was very close, she increased speed and almost T-boned me. I believe she thought she will get behind me with this move and be close to me!
But I got the scare of my life, and had to step on the gas and move quickly ahead. She overtook me from my right , crossing left, middle and rightmost lanes, and tried to speed away. I just nodded, smiled and moved on!

Today - On my way to office, just crossed the wakdewadi cross road, and was on the road to Khadki Station. it is a long 2 km+ stretch of straight road, with little traffic. Was doing about 50-60 following the car in front. Another car behind me. I saw this guy, must be about 50 yrs, on a scooter with a pillion, waiting to cross the road on the left shoulder. He was standing perpendicular to the road. The car in front accelarated and there was a gap of about 20-30 ft which was between that and my car. Just then, Uncle decided that he was fast enough to cross (he was like 20 or so feet from me) and tried to cross the road! The only option was to swerve hard to the right (which is difficult to do esp when you have a lady sitting next to you), brake hard (aforesaid reason making it difficult) and avoid hitting him. The car behind me also did the same and missed my bumper by cms. The scooter uncle, went around our cars (behind the car tailing me) and went to the other side. When both of us (me and the driver behind me) rolled down our windows to howl at him, he actually SMILED! What arrogance.

These are BAD drivers. Please be careful. Watch their head, if it bobs to the left or front, you know they will take off!
Old 8th March 2011, 10:26   #1640
Senior - BHPian

One more habit of car owners that confuses is having all sorts of things at back blocking their rear view from the mirror. For example - Pillows, Soft Toys etc. As long as these are limited in number i think it is ok.

I personally feel uncomfortable driving if my rear view is blocked. IMHO this also constitutes bad driving habits but contrary opinions as always are welcome
Old 8th March 2011, 10:49   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
One more habit of car owners that confuses is having all sorts of things at back blocking their rear view from the mirror. For example - Pillows, Soft Toys etc. As long as these are limited in number i think it is ok.
Oh yeah. There is this one Zen i see parked in my society that has a huge tiger sitting on its parcel tray! Maybe the owner thinks it will scare away any miscreants on the road.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:04   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Oh yeah. There is this one Zen i see parked in my society that has a huge tiger sitting on its parcel tray! Maybe the owner thinks it will scare away any miscreants on the road.
Well, I always used to wonder how people drive with all that stuff on the parcel tray. Have seen may cars with their entire household collection of pillows, cushions and soft toys on the parcel tray. I believe they may even have their kids play with them sitting there. Ridiculous!
Old 8th March 2011, 11:46   #1643
Senior - BHPian

^^ Girl power is a major factor behind it. Women fail to understand that its not a window sill for keeping cute toys. Had to fight a lot with my wife to get rid of a stupid stuffed dog on the parcel tray.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:05   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

I personally feel uncomfortable driving if my rear view is blocked. IMHO this also constitutes bad driving habits but contrary opinions as always are welcome
Hi
Nothing to beat this --saw a Santro with all used water bottles lying on the rear parcel tray (evian brand). IMO the owner of Santro wanted to display his choice for good health but not of good driving judgement.

rgds
DP
Old 8th March 2011, 12:58   #1645
BHPian

I agree with download2live that many women tend to make their car look like an accessory shop. Just adds to distractions while driving.

There is a new lady hire who has joined somewhere in the adjoining Building. Drives a pink zen estilo which looks more like a doll house than a car. She has a huge "L" on the front and rear screens. She was unable to park her car in the allocated spot, so she asked me to park her car for her a couple of times. Believe me, her car is a mess of soft toys, cushions, colourful mats and all kinds of chimes. There was not a single trinket free place in her car, and to top it all, it has shocking pink car seats. There is a colourful container having snacks and toffees too. There is also a sticker which reads "Babe on Board". Yikes!!

To show her gratitude, she bought me a couple of soft toys which have to be hung in the car and squeak whenever the car passes over a speedbreaker or pothole. I nearly fainted. I told her my car is bland and devoid of all embellishments because they look stupid in a vehicle and also tend to distract the driver. She was at a loss to understand my view.

Her key ring is another matter. Will try and post a picture of her car & carkeys (in the ring) sometime.

Well, IMHO distractions add to poor driving. I always fear that she will be lost in a pile of cushions if the brakes are applied hard.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 8th March 2011 at 13:03.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:53   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
Nothing to beat this --saw a Santro with all used water bottles lying on the rear parcel tray (evian brand). IMO the owner of Santro wanted to display his choice for good health but not of good driving judgement.

rgds
DP
I saw an elderly gentleman with a monkey (not a live one, thank god!) stuck to the front windscreen right above the dashboard cowl! You can't possibly beat that

Then there are parents who stuff their kids in their laps while driving.

Old 8th March 2011, 13:54   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
There is a new lady hire who has joined somewhere in the adjoining Building. Drives a pink zen estilo which looks more like a doll house than a car. She has a huge "L" on the front and rear screens. She was unable to park her car in the allocated spot, so she asked me to park her car for her a couple of times. Believe me, her car is a mess of soft toys, cushions, colourful mats and all kinds of chimes. There was not a single trinket free place in her car, and to top it all, it has shocking pink car seats. There is a colourful container having snacks and toffees too. There is also a sticker which reads "Babe on Board". Yikes!!
maybe you should put the pictures of her car in the wacky mod jobs section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
I always fear that she will be lost in a pile of cushions if the brakes are applied hard.
look at the bright side - she don't need no air bags!
Old 9th March 2011, 11:33   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Underaged drivers who have no licence is another peeve that I forgot to add
Ajmat
Golden rule never hitch behind a bigger vehicle as it blocks your view and you may land up bumping into the behind

Being biologically underaged and to drive a vehicle is a crime what about guys who are mentally underaged(lunatics, nincompoops, loony bin fellas) and try to show road rage which is the most common cause of accidents and before one forgets to mention the blokes who think alcohol is to driving as fuel is to vehicle.
In many occassions the two wheelers think they rule the roost and come and wait up by cutting into the intersection especially at signals, making it very difficult to navigate and God help you if you are in a car since you will be nudged by these mentally bald fellas. (you can at best stare but not dare to pick fights since loss is all yours)

rgds
DP
Old 9th March 2011, 11:39   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
^^ Girl power is a major factor behind it. Women fail to understand that its not a window sill for keeping cute toys. Had to fight a lot with my wife to get rid of a stupid stuffed dog on the parcel tray.

On the lighter side

Hope you stayed in the car and the house too

Rule #1 Wife is Worries Invited For Ever
Rule #2 refer rule 1 in case of any argument

rgds
DP
ps: I have taken my wifey's permission to type this post
Old 9th March 2011, 11:49   #1650
Senior - BHPian

last evening i almost got run over by a Big10 in front of Surya Wave in EC. the driver was trying to overtake two cars in front of him and proceeded to do so even though he saw me coming on the opposite side. i was on my bike. gave the driver the finger as the bus passed me, but i don't think it would compute for him.

day before similar incident happened - twice! this time around it was a Fortuner and a Fiesta!

that's one thing i hate about 4+ wheelers. they think since they're bigger in size they own the roads and two wheelers are expendable; they put the two wheeler rider's life at risk just so they can gain a few meters and overtake vehicle in front of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks