Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 21:05   #1726
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This was wednesday night at about 10:30 PM. I was returning home and took the wakad flyover with the regular intent of taking a 'U' after the school to join NH4 and onwards towards Kothrud.

Just where the flyover ends, there was a handful of yellow plate Indicas/Tempo travellers taking the illegal U. The incoming traffic was a truck who was not willing to budge. By the time I took the turn and came back, the deadlock had intensified with more vehicles in the mix. All to save couple of minutes.

Talk about birds of the same feather - here it was a horde of bird brains.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:00   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
So perfectly that I couldn't reverse my car. that car owner was in an adjacent lodge.

One of my colleague with me asked me to be quiet and one more colleague somehow talked to him and brought him back. (As if we had made a mistake).
We wasted 20 mins for nothing. What can we do to such morons.
What sheer audacity!!! Had I been in your place, I'm shudder to even think about the kind of frenzy I'd have gotten into. Serving Knuckle sandwiches and broken windshields. Not to mention, treadless tires. OK, enough imagination and OT for now! Was just kidding. It's really frustrating, because I can't think of any apt legal recourse one can take against such barbarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I don't want to spark off a debate here ( since this is a path trodden to death) but Niranjan, while I appreciate your concern for a fellow member, let me tell you that I have seen Ironh4wk in action. He literally shoots from the hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
some speeding fellas on BETL!
In the videos, I can see the cockpit of a Getz, that's hogging the right lane. The Getz is a BHPian's.
Seriously, you should be setting a good example for others. Agreed those guys are speeding, but hogging the right lane is even worse. No offence meant, just a friendly fellow bhpian, and fellow Bangalorean trying to make a difference just like you!

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 25th March 2011 at 23:01.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:07   #1728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post

In the videos, I can see the cockpit of a Getz, that's hogging the right lane. The Getz is a BHPian's.
Seriously, you should be setting a good example for others. Agreed those guys are speeding, but hogging the right lane is even worse. No offence meant, just a friendly fellow bhpian, and fellow Bangalorean trying to make a difference just like you!
80 km/h is the speed limit. The right most lane is for those doing the maximum speed allowed by law. The left lane is for those who don't want to go that fast. I'm not entirely sure but I believe that that's how it works. I don't see anything wrong with what IronH4WK is doing in the video.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 23:24   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
80 km/h is the speed limit. The right most lane is for those doing the maximum speed allowed by law. The left lane is for those who don't want to go that fast. I'm not entirely sure but I believe that that's how it works. I don't see anything wrong with what IronH4WK is doing in the video.
Well, I am under the impression that the right lane is meant for overtaking only.
This is the practice I see to it that my dad follows on all highways and such.
In one thread, I remember reading about a member on a bullet doing 100 in the right lane at night, and a Volvo flashing its lights and honking behind him; the member didn't move to the left, and signalled to the bus driver to overtake from the left. This action of the member was condemned by some of our senior BHPians.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:34   #1730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I am under the impression that the right lane is meant for overtaking only.
In one thread, I remember reading about a member on a bullet doing 100 in the right lane at night, and a Volvo flashing its lights and honking behind him; the member didn't move to the left, and signalled to the bus driver to overtake from the left. This action of the member was condemned by some of our senior BHPians.
You've got a valid point there.

It is true. The right-most lane is meant for overtaking. But not only overtaking. If someone is in the right lane, he/she must give way for vehicles that are looking to overtake.

However, I still stand by what I've said. 80 km/h is the speed limit, and Ironh4WK was not really wrong here. In fact, it's the other cars that are wrong here. Not just for overtaking him from the left, but also because they're breaking the speed-limit. Those cars are not supposed to be going faster than him, and in fact, should be in the same lane, and, behind him.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:57   #1731
Senior - BHPian

i usually let people coming faster than me overtake me on my right by moving to the left lane and then move back to the right lane. however, if they choose to overtake me from the left and don't give me a opportunity to move left, then i let it be. the last thing you want to do when a speeding car is trying to overtake you, is to change lanes.

the Fortuner and the Nano were weaving through traffic and hence i stuck to the right lane. the Jetta joined the BETL from the Hosur road ramp and was in my blind spot; i had to let him go on my left.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:57   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Just where the flyover ends, there was a handful of yellow plate Indicas/Tempo travellers taking the illegal U. The incoming traffic was a truck who was not willing to budge. By the time I took the turn and came back, the deadlock had intensified with more vehicles in the mix. All to save couple of minutes.

Talk about birds of the same feather - here it was a horde of bird brains.
I always wonder why don't they extend the dividers still further up. This should help in the cab drivers not trying to take this illegal U turn. Right now it is an open invitation for such drivers to break the rules.
Old 26th March 2011, 00:33   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
The BETL is technically just a two lane road so it's really difficult to hold the left lane what with all the bikes,goods carriers etc. I think, practically, this rule would apply on highways with 3 or more lanes. Or two lane highways with near-zero slow traffic.
Old 26th March 2011, 00:50   #1734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What sheer audacity!!! Had I been in your place, I'm shudder to even think about the kind of frenzy I'd have gotten into. Serving Knuckle sandwiches and broken windshields. Not to mention, treadless tires. OK, enough imagination and OT for now! Was just kidding. It's really frustrating, because I can't think of any apt legal recourse one can take against such barbarians.
I was okay till he didn't come...but seeing the pace and the style in which he came out...I couldn't tolerate. One sorry and removing the car with some sense of urgency would not have irked me. Such idiots are spoiling our country. Day by day I'm losing hopes on my country :(

Quote:
i usually let people coming faster than me overtake me on my right by moving to the left lane and then move back to the right lane. however, if they choose to overtake me from the left and don't give me a opportunity to move left, then i let it be. the last thing you want to do when a speeding car is trying to overtake you, is to change lanes.

the Fortuner and the Nano were weaving through traffic and hence i stuck to the right lane. the Jetta joined the BETL from the Hosur road ramp and was in my blind spot; i had to let him go on my left.
Quote:
@Arkin, I very much agree with you that the right lane is for overtaking only.
The Bullet rider is wrong on his part IMO.
Even though the speed limit is 80 on all highways as per the law, he should allow anybody faster than him to overtake from his right.
Infact when I was driving in Germany I was very careful since its a foreign country.
I used to be on the right lane(slow lane in Germany) and maintaining the speed limit specified. But many Porsches and Audis used to speed away and overtake everybody.

Now coming to BETL, the specified limit is 80. but since even a 50cc TVS is allowed...you cannot maintain 80 and be on the left lane.
So the authorities have themselves painted on the entrance ramps that the left lane is for Trucks/Busses/2wheelers and the right lane is for cars.
that implies that On BETL, there is nothing called as an Overtaking lane.
So IMO IRONH4WK was not wrong. if the same had happened below the BETL...he would've been wrong.

@IRONH4WK...I would like to reinforce the suggestions by others here.
PLEASE DONT USE THE CAMERA WHILE YOU ARE AT THE WHEELS.
You will always be the best spotter on TBHP. My sincere request...Please don't take these risks.

Generally maintaining lanes in cities is difficult in INDIA.
for example, on a two lane road you have people stopping suddenly to take a right on the right lane in a median break(there is not lane for turning).
Th left lane is an unwritten parking lane in many places.
The busses push you whenever they want and force you to change lanes.
Cabs and 2 wheelers go through in even the smallest of places and force others to weave to avoid getting hit.
then there are slow pedestrians crossing anywhere they feel like.
And how can we forget the occasional cow sleeping in the main road(go to ejipura signal on IRR everyday at around 9am)
So in the end, you end up weaving,changing lanes, pushing others...and many such things.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th March 2011 at 00:58.
Old 27th March 2011, 23:27   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Thippasandra market place. this idiot has parked his car at the beginning of a street and blocked traffic in and out completely (except for two wheelers)!!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag1759.jpg

people come here to shop, leave their cars irresponsibly in the adjoining streets and just go away. for the people living there, they are a menace. i used to stay in that street where that car is parked!

Kamanahalli (Shobha bazaar road): this guy stops his Palio 10mts from the signal, blocking one whole lane of traffic! you can see him standing at the shop nearby (guy in the white t-shirt)!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag1760.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag1761.jpg
Old 28th March 2011, 00:00   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Thippasandra market place. this idiot has parked his car at the beginning of a street and blocked traffic in and out completely (except for two wheelers)!!
Attachment 524260

people come here to shop, leave their cars irresponsibly in the adjoining streets and just go away. for the people living there, they are a menace. i used to stay in that street where that car is parked!

Kamanahalli (Shobha bazaar road): this guy stops his Palio 10mts from the signal, blocking one whole lane of traffic! you can see him standing at the shop nearby (guy in the white t-shirt)!
Attachment 524261
Attachment 524262
Trust me such idiots need to be taught a lesson. The car must be towed away and slapped with a heavy fine for public n[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]uisance [/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 28th March 2011, 19:11   #1737
LNK
BHPian

Quote:
Thippasandra ...
Forget those little lanes inside, they park the cars right on the main road! " justu toooo-minutes kelsa saar" is all you get when you let 'em know they've blocked the road. Otherwise, they give a blank look and continue doing whatever they were.

Also my lane (in the same area), is very popular for parking, so bad sometimes that I cant take out my car and there 've been many instances where I've had to take a rick cuz of some moron's poor choice of a parking spot!
Old 29th March 2011, 10:03   #1738
BHPian

This moron auto driver was in such a hurry last night that he was trying to squeez in all possible areas. See the gap between the jeep and the auto hardly 6 inches!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00030201103281908.jpg  

Old 29th March 2011, 11:48   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This moron auto driver was in such a hurry last night that he was trying to squeez in all possible areas. See the gap between the jeep and the auto hardly 6 inches!
this Vajra was very close to that OHC (pun intended)
Old 29th March 2011, 13:05   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
10 out of 10 times I cross that junction, I see a car parked there!! Even when cops are there at the signal. Noone bothers..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks