Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 14:16   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this Vajra was very close to that OHC (pun intended)
hehe.. i forgot the attachment

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6350.jpg
Old 31st March 2011, 09:41   #1742
BHPian

This nitwit almost got ranover by a volvo a few seconds after i clicked him. I fail to understand is this really worth it. This was at jayanagar eastend signal. Many a times i make some way for them to sqeeze in near the median however these enterprising folks just want to take the wrong way :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00041201103310911.jpg  

Last edited by sumathindra : 31st March 2011 at 09:43. Reason: more info
Old 2nd April 2011, 16:52   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

People will be aware that I don't like it when gender stereotyping happens on this forum, but in this case, I'm afraid that the bad driver could be recognised by the long white gloves she was wearing.

As she wove and darted and bullied her way through the traffic on the OMR, by Tidel Park, Tuesday evening, in her (I think) M800 (or similar), I thought that no taxi driver, even in an SUV could possibly have stood a chance. Neither, and more lethally, could any of the bikers that she was tailgating at 40 to 50 kph, if they had slowed down, just for an instant, she would have run them over.

I would have loved to tell her, "It's really unusual to see a woman driving so badly: please do some learning or you will kill someone soon." Of course, one never gets to communicate with drivers like this, because to do so, one would have to drive more recklessly than them to catch up.

The thing with stereotyping is that there are little islands of truth in it. Extreme aggression on the road is stereotypically male. This woman is an unpleasant exception.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:57   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Going over the speed limit to get past someone is usually agreeable worldwide, I thought (unless you are way over the limit!)..
Old 13th April 2011, 22:04   #1745
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
the rule is to keep to the left and overtake on the right.

This needs to be on all major 4+ lane highways.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:00   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Going over the speed limit to get past someone is usually agreeable worldwide, I thought (unless you are way over the limit!)..
I wouldn't try it in UK! Definitely not legally acceptible.

Not that I'm trying to say that we always drive within the speed limits, just that overtaking would not be an excuse if you get caught. Also, those pesky cameras do not allow you many MPH over the limit.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:57   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't try it in UK! Definitely not legally acceptible.

Not that I'm trying to say that we always drive within the speed limits, just that overtaking would not be an excuse if you get caught. Also, those pesky cameras do not allow you many MPH over the limit.
Interestingly these types of speed sensing cameras were used here in San Jose, CA, USA as well and some time back court ruled that these were illegal since speeding was not actually caught by the officer but a camera so all tickets that were issued for speeding were cancelled.

Also, no one here drives the speed limit and almost everyone goes above by anywhere from 5 to 10mph. Conventional wisdom is, add 10 to the number posted and as long as you are below it, you are safe. Officers rarely issue tickets unless reckless driving is observed along with speeding.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:37   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
In this case and IMHO, it was the biker's fault for not giving way to a vehicle that wants to overtake. It is such small things that lead to the bigger menace of Road Rage.
Sorry this isn't true! If speed limits states X, one can driving at x, then there is no option of going X+10 to over take!

Quote:

I have to admit that this rule either does not exist in practice or simply does not work on urban Indian roads, but it ought to be given a chance on a highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I have to disagree with above statement. Even I too was in assumption that this was the case. But I was wrong leagally and paid fine Rs.300. This happened in Jan 2011, I was driving from Airport towards City. After joining NH4, I overtook a car at 90+ kmph! I was pulled over, and asked to pay fine. I explained them that I only overtook and reduced my speed. Inspector clearly showed me, speed of car (which I overtook) at 80kmph, and asked me why I should overtake when he is moving at max allowed limit! Unless there is a law which states it is okay to speed more than allowed limit, you can not do the same. Law also states clearly that one must give a way to speeding vehicle, but it also bars vehicles from going above allowed limit! Which means Biker doesn't needs to give a way, since he is in the limit!
Old 14th April 2011, 10:44   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Sorry this isn't true! If speed limits states X, one can driving at x, then there is no option of going X+10 to over take!

I have to disagree with above statement. Even I too was in assumption that this was the case. But I was wrong leagally and paid fine Rs.300. This happened in Jan 2011, I was driving from Airport towards City. After joining NH4, I overtook a car at 90+ kmph! I was pulled over, and asked to pay fine. I explained them that I only overtook and reduced my speed. Inspector clearly showed me, speed of car (which I overtook) at 80kmph, and asked me why I should overtake when he is moving at max allowed limit! Unless there is a law which states it is okay to speed more than allowed limit, you can not do the same. Law also states clearly that one must give a way to speeding vehicle, but it also bars vehicles from going above allowed limit! Which means Biker doesn't needs to give a way, since he is in the limit!

You are right as one should not go over the prescribed speed limit even to overtake but it does not give right to anyone to hijack main lane
When one is moving in the max speed he should move to 2nd lane and free up the right most lane. Thats a general rule everywhere.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:46   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have to disagree with above statement.
I agree with the above. If someone is already going above speed limit then the other person overtaking him does not make it legal. I am not referring to the debate on bike v/s car but only agreeing on the speed limit part.

I have been given a speeding ticket in Virginia, US for this. But i was not overtaking anyone but only following the traffic in front of me on the fast lane on a freeway. But i was the only one caught. I tried to reason with the cop that i was only going with the flow and if i had been slow it would have affected the others in the fast lane. Cop point blank told me that if the cars in front of you are going above the speed limit it does not mean that you also violate the restriction. Some one would get caught and unfortunately its you

Last edited by amitwlele : 14th April 2011 at 10:48.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:13   #1751
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the meaning of a LIMIT if you are allowed to exceed that (wheter its for overtaking or any other reason)???
Its a different matter that +/- 15kmph goes unnoticed or is relaxed because maintaining constant speed is difficult for vehicles without cruise control.

In our country, IMO such debates will never end or doesn't have a perfect answer as to who is right.
This is because not everything will be right and each one of them can put the blame on something else.
There is an escape route for all the parties involved (the car and the bike in this case)

I have driving experience in Germany and I know that any vehicle there which is below 200cc is not allowed on the highway.
This is because a vehicle smaller than that, cannot keep up with the speed limits or is very risky even if it manages to.
But on the BETL we can find vehicles is all ranges and believe it or not I have even seen a cycle one day.This leads to utter chaos on this road.

To avoid this, the BETL lanes have been seperated on class of vehicles than speed of vehicles(cars on right lane and others on left lane).
But the speed limit for any vehicle is 80kmph

So in evilshantanu's case the biker was on the wrong lane not because of his speed, but because he was on a 2-wheeler.
When all other 2 wheelers go on the left lane and one such guy comes in the other lane, It really scary for car drivers to overtake.
The 2-wheeler is free to overspeed(and pay fine later) in his lane(left) and the car is free to overspeed(and again pay his fine) in his lane(right).

Along with the speed, our lane discipline(or the lack of it) leads to accidents and road rage IMO.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:40   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Which means Biker doesn't needs to give a way, since he is in the limit!
You are following that wrong logic that I quoted. Law states, drive on the left, overtake on the right.

The biker is in the wrong lane not because of his vehicle, or because of his speed, but because he is not overtaking traffic in the other lanes. If he is overtaking, then that is his right too, and any vehicle that wants to go even faster should just have patience until he ha completed.

As matters of road courtesy: one should not block the way of others, but neither does the desire to speed grant one right of way!
Old 15th April 2011, 08:31   #1753
Distinguished - BHPian

OK- here's an example of not just a bad driver but a terrible human being:

Seriously, if I lay hands on the lungiwallah in the picture I'd have the cops throw the book at him for not just rash driving and the lot but attempted murder of a child.

The original link on Youtube- can't find it now- was posted by purportedly the same guy and he was gloating how he was making his little girl stand up for herself and how talented she was and how people are against this video because they can't drive as well etc. etc.

What an idiot!

Sincerely hope someone bangs some sense into his head before he kills somebody...
Old 15th April 2011, 10:52   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Oh My God!! what a jerk, this guy not only is stupid but endangering the live of the young girl! Such guys must be taken to task. Total disregard to human life!

Last edited by sumathindra : 15th April 2011 at 10:53. Reason: post edits
Old 15th April 2011, 11:04   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

YouTube - LKG Girl riding a bike
This is not very surprising to me.
On NH44, where cars speed at even 150 km/h in the fast lane, I see irresponsible lungi clad bikers with 2-3 children and wife coming bang in the wrong way in the fast lane. Total disregard of human life. Talk about the rich....I've seen women with 2 kids playing in the passenger seat, in cars ranging from Marutis to Hondas to 5 series. Pathetic, low forms of life.
Won't this ever end?

I appreciate the little kid's riding skills, but why, oh why, should these be shown off carelessly on a Natl. Highway?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks