Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 16:33   #1786
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I also think i kind of agree with you here.

I have observed that Delhi registered vehicles to be a bit too rash.
In HJW , Nobody can drive as bad as guys with MH 14 number plates , the likes of Safaris , Scorpios , Boleros .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
DL plates in this situation while MH plates are un-noticed.

Odd Men Out

And to say the least the most dangerous - THE L drivers

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 21st April 2011 at 16:34.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:07   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
In HJW , Nobody can drive as bad as guys with MH 14 number plates , the likes of Safaris , Scorpios , Boleros .

Odd Men Out

And to say the least the most dangerous - THE L drivers
Its not a question of Odd Men Out because i also see a lot of KA regn vehicles as well but there is a reason for DL regn vehicles to be registered in my mind. Something which happens more frequently gets registered i guess.

Anyway i think this discussion will never end and hence my last post on this particular topic.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:08   #1788

I would like to bring all of your attentions to VIP vehicles (lal batti), The are also one of the most nuisance to traffic. Not just they stop the flow of traffic but they travel so fast within the city that could be dangerous to vehicles and pedestrians.

Autos in my city have proved their uselessness. They overtake from wrong side, honk even if the signal is red, travel very near to other vehicle, etc., etc.

Due respect to all oldies, but they also slow the traffic and try to use the center of the road.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:04   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Spotting good drivers is more difficult than spotting bad ones I guess. If traffic is moving in a single file due to a hold up or some other reason, the first thiing people do is to overtake from left go 2 vehicles in front and then put the right indicator (they are responsible drivers you see) and get back in the same line. Repeat the same sequence n number of times.

After 30 mins, you see that despite all this, they are only 2 vehicles ahead of you. Are they really that dumb that they dont realise that doing this does not help them reach their destination quicker? Or do they need a challenge in their otherwise mundane life? I for one can't figure that one out.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:16   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I do not know if it should be attributed to probability due to higher numbers, but I generally find swift drivers a tad bit too rash for the roads. In all my years of driving I hardly remeber seeing a swift trying to stay behind a line of vehicles, they feel that they overtake from left and squeeze in the gaps!
I am with you on that one mate! Almost every single Swift driver on the highway especially drives like an utter moron. Maybe the engine and the chuckability makes them think they are driving in a video game.
Worst are the ones with the fancy numbers (you see a lot of them in Pune), mostly VDis , and as someone mentioned, they try to pull all sorts of antics on the highway, only to be just a couple of car lengths ahead of you.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:02   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Almost every single Swift driver on the highway especially drives like an utter moron
Me too? Of course you didn't mean your fellow members

Seriously, though, I agree. I guess that it is that the car has a reputation as a "hot" hatch, that a lot of youngsters want to prove it and themselves as hot. There are a lot of bad Swift drivers about.

I wonder, if we were to have a poll of what cars we think attract bad drivers, all our perceptions would even out? Just an idea.

As to pulling all the antics just to get one car ahead, and that usually includes tailgating, I sometimes find that, simply by smooth driving and taking the gaps as they open in front of me, I leave one of those impatient guys way behind! Maybe they're just the ones who are not very good at it.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:54   #1792
BHPian

How many of us can be true to ourselves and say "I have never driven badly at all" not even once! add all this to the huge number of drivers on our roads and you will get the answer as to why there are so many bad drivers on our roads! I believe that we tend to be critical when others do mistakes and rarely admonish ourselves for the small little deviations that we take.

Autorickshaws, Swifts, Indicas, Sumo's, trucks, call center cars, etc there are endless list of stereotype examples. I am not supporting the bad drivers listed here but I feel it is our individual responsibility to ensure we educate, if not us adults, kids at a very early stage the proper road behavior.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:30   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
How many of us can be true to ourselves and say "I have never driven badly at all" not even once! add all this to the huge number of drivers on our roads and you will get the answer as to why there are so many bad drivers on our roads! I believe that we tend to be critical when others do mistakes and rarely admonish ourselves for the small little deviations that we take.

Autorickshaws, Swifts, Indicas, Sumo's, trucks, call center cars, etc there are endless list of stereotype examples. I am not supporting the bad drivers listed here but I feel it is our individual responsibility to ensure we educate, if not us adults, kids at a very early stage the proper road behavior.
I agree. I absolutely agree. And then the person behind the steering turns out to be a educated moron who has zero inkling about road manners. I took my moral science lessons seriously at school,but not everyone came from the same class as I!
Secondly, the great Indian Male Ego is all over the place. Last day,I overtook a WagonR, and then the guy tries to tailgate me!
Today, its raining cats n dogs in Blr, the Agara Lake Road is half inundated. Yet it doesnt stop the Sumo guy behind me to honk constantly when there's a traffic pile up in front of me. Sadly, that guy couldnt go fast either.
Most of the words coming out of our cultured,educated mouths fail to permeate the skin. Most people seem to understand some caveman lingo which we finally resort to. Then egoes get bruised. Then a country of cricket loving folks get their baseball bats out. And in the end, the wives and the kids get the wrong end of your temper.
If only. If only our men in uniform had some dignity & some jewels in the right place. Dignity because we would have respected the person and the uniform which respects the dignity of the law rather than streaking it in broad daylight treating it like a harlot.And Jewels to do the right thing. Fear works.
Enough of ranting. Talking on a serious note, why dont we all try to start a drive at our respective homes, workplaces, friend-s circles to start all the preaching. Lets come up with a name for this drive and then officially drive it with the backing of TBHP. We love our rides and our roads. Lets make it a better place.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:28   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
How many of us can be true to ourselves and say "I have never driven badly at all" not even once!
Most of the dents and scratches on my car are my fault, and, of course, they do not register the silly mistakes I got away with.

There are few things that I criticize that I have never done. Aggressive tailgating, perhaps: my imagination is too good to drive that close to another vehicle. Such distances are for parking only!
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:33   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Talking on a serious note, why don't we all try to start a drive at our respective homes, workplaces, friend-s circles to start all the preaching. Lets come up with a name for this drive and then officially drive it with the backing of TBHP. We love our rides and our roads. Lets make it a better place.
I think you, me and rest of us do believe that everything starts with "me" first and if "I drive safe" every thing would be in place! but unfortunately it is easier said than done! That is why I said we start with the kids! may be their minds are like clean slate. We adults always carry the baggage! most of us have never been to a driving school to learn driving! sorry, I am one among them too so I am trying to put that extra effort to know more and be compliant. Being a member of TBHP is one right step towards that.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:12   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are few things that I criticize that I have never done. Aggressive tailgating, perhaps: my imagination is too good to drive that close to another vehicle. Such distances are for parking only!
Me too. I also had never ever tailgated. I never high beam into the vehicle in front which I know is quite insulting. I also feel offended to drive in high beam causing trouble to other oncoming vehicles.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:14   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am with you on that one mate! Almost every single Swift driver on the highway especially drives like an utter moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Seriously, though, I agree.
I wonder, if we were to have a poll of what cars we think attract bad drivers, all our perceptions would even out? Just an idea.
I am sure WagonR will win that poll hands-down. Anyday if I see 10 WagonR's on the road, 9 of them are rashly driven.

IMO, the poll result for the most rasly driven vehicles will look like this:
(Not considering Indicabs, Sumos and TTs)
1. WagonR (9 out of 10)
2. Scorpio (8 / 10)
3. Swift D ( 7 / 10)
4. Santro (7 / 10)
5. Innova (6 / 10)
6. Dzire (5 / 10)
7. ANHC (3 / 10)
8. SX4 (2 / 10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Last day,I overtook a WagonR, and then the guy tries to tailgate me!
See what I mean? We got a rant about WagonR within half an hour!!!
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:26   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am with you on that one mate! Almost every single Swift driver on the highway especially drives like an utter moron. Maybe the engine and the chuckability makes them think they are driving in a video game.
Let me add that today Swifts are driven like that in Kerala roads as well. You can see lot of such guys in swifts chucking giving scant respect to rules.

Some years back, at one stage Wagon Rs were driven like that. Such and similar irresponsible persons have upgraded to Swifts now and carrying on in same vein.

Once upon a time Wagon Rs were driven mostly by gentlemen. Similar was the case with Swifts too during the initial years of its launch.

Now we could see most of the Polos and Puntos are driven in a gentlemanly way. I am referring to owner drivers here.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd April 2011 at 09:29. Reason: correction
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:41   #1799
BHPian

Very Interesting Thread! Couldn't read all the pages but did go through the introductory posts and the last few pages.

Apologies if these not entirely true generalisations have already been addressed:

Considering that the question is for spotting Bad Drivers, whilst I totally agree with ALL the points, there are some which dont fit the bill -

Pts
1 Mirrors folded
4 Bald wheels
6 Smoking
10 Following too close

I come from a family of smokers (dont condone it but neither of us care when we croak), and from a family of one handed drivers, I have been driving for about 12 years now (clocked many a zeros on the miles) and have never met with an accident. And am still considered the worst driver in the family (they set crazy standards..)

So, whilst smoking and driving is potentially dangerous, I dare say for a good/responsible driver, it doesnt matter (as a habit I drive one handed even while not smoking, again part of the family tradition, he he he!!)

Bald Tyres - That's a poorly maintained vehicle which could potentially cause accidents more than being a bad driver. Again, over the course of the years, the tyres have worn out a LOT, sometimes extremely bald, but the record stays intact, and I intend to keep it that way.

Am not special, if am doing it, am sure there are others somewhere who are doing it with success too, hence wanted to point it out. I drive a rather biggish car in a city famous for choking the bloc so to speak! And fast (Bangalore to Hyd last week in 5 hours, cruising, For eg.)

Following closely - braking late or sticking your front up the rear of a deserving (not everyone, just the deserving few) idiot is absolutely safe. If a person does not have the basic hand/eye/leg coordination or know how or skill, they shouldnt be driving at all (and this keeping in mind that the guy at the back can ram into you, or the guy in front can brake thereby you ramming him). If you drive in Bangalore, you will know that this is sometimes necessary because no one here understands lights, or horns.

ps - I dont use RVMs either. (A lot of my friends are on this Forum and they will be glad to endorse the above facts, us having known each other for a few years. Although that may take some time because I dont know their handles and they probably dont know mine yet! )

This may sound odd, but we were taught from a young age that if we cannot do EVERYTHING (I mean, everything short of sleeping), while driving (fast, without inconveniencing others), then we ought not to be taking the cars out for a spin at all. That's probably what made us reasonably better drivers with a good road record.

Note from Support: Foul language in any form is not allowed on the forum. Please go through the rules before proceeding further.

Just read something about non helmet wearing 2 wheelers being dangerous again, am not sure what it is with these generalisations but just to set the record straight on behalf of motorcyclists, I never wore a helmet until the law made it compulsory, and neither did 2 generations of my family, all of whom lived to tell tales of some extremely fast machinery without any untoward Incidents.

I have found a lot of helmet wearing 2 wheelers extremely dangerous too (lack of skill? Over confidence brought about by the safety?) but I wouldnt generalise.

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the debate on to wear or not to wear helmets. There are enough statistics to prove that even basic helmets have saved countless lives. The post is only to address the generalisation of a rider being bad-good on the basis of a helmet.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd April 2011 at 17:46. Reason: back to back. Please use edit when available. Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:37   #1800
BHPian

Well I do not know if this link can be posted here or has been posted before ( mods please remove if needed ) Baddriving.com - A cure for road rage! but an interesting website nevertheless!! What if we have a similar site for our country? can any one guess!! May be we might crash the server!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks