Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 10:03   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

on the way to pickup my car which i had given for service at Trident on IRR, i noticed a white old model Zen (jelly bean) stuck on the left side of the road (near New Horizon school) on the Indiranagar 100ft road. i noticed that it was being driving by a woman in her twenties and was having a hard time controlling the car - a learner maybe (but there was no L board on the car). as the auto i was travelling in was coming up alongside the driver side, i thought i'll just tell her to keep calm and not to panic (there was a lot of traffic). something she did changed my mind - she picked up her phone in the left hand and started talking while struggling to control the car!!! i was dumbfounded!!

i hope she didn't bump into something or hurt somebody or herself.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:55   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
<sarcasm*>Unless you're a cab driver. Then you're allowed to apex the turn. Bonus points for right turns - you're allowed to touch the apex of the oncoming traffic's side of the road. </sarcasm>

* Aimed at cabbies, not at you, Thad!
Please read his post again. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There should be no need to mark lanes. Apart from the common-sense fact of being on the left to turn left, etc, lane discipline also requires to maintain position during a turn.

ie, if you are in the middle of three lanes, all turning one way, you should be in the middle all the way around and after the turn --- not cutting left or right.
I hope this clears your confusion. .
Old 25th May 2011, 11:34   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Dear sir,
In my view, the traffic intersections do not get cleared more due to beat the light attitude of drivers. When the lights turn from green to amber, we are expected to slow down and stop at the red light. But most drivers, even if they are hundreds of meters away, will step on accelerator to cross the light before it turns to red. In crowded intersections, if the cop is not there to regulate, you will find ten vehicles squeeze in bumper to bumper even after the light turns from amber to red so that they can beat the light. How many people respect zebras and give way to waiting pedestrians to cross. Many a times, if we slow down or stop we do it at our own peril since some moron may tail gate from behind taking granted that we will not stop.
Hi Alavandar,

I would like to point out one factor that motivates most of the drivers to step on the gas pedal to beat the amber light. It is may be because of tail-gaters?
Old 25th May 2011, 12:16   #1984
BHPian

Mangalore: Caught this on my car cam last week on the way to office, ignore the date stamp on the video, I need to tinker the settings on the cam

Have a look at the biker, perfect recipe for disaster waiting to happen
  • Stupid government dumps mud on roadside
  • Biker not wearing helmet and helmet not of proper specs
  • Biker riding with speed enough to lose control
  • Biker lost in his own world
  • Biker reacts at the last minute
  • Does not stop but proceeds with the journey
Had anything untoward happened and he came under my wheels then I would be thrashed for the mistake he committed, lucky I have a cam to present as proof!! God save these idiots!!

Old 25th May 2011, 12:35   #1985
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday on my way home from work, on the stretch of bypass highway between Baner and Sus exits where the road narrows considerably and there is only room for 2 vehicles (i.e. no shoulder etc.) I spotted an obvious learner on a Scooty in the right lane, virtually hugging the divider. Cars were zooming past her on her left at 80 kmph and above. I rolled down my window and told her "Please move to the left lane". Incredibly her friend on pillion told her to IGNORE ME and carry on.

I was so surprised I almost swerved into the left lane then realised I better focus on my own driving and leave those 2 brainless women to their own ends. Sincerely hope they made it to their destination in one piece.

Disclaimer: I was being tailed by my friend who is a cautious driver so I even attempted this. Not advisable otherwise- you risk a bigger accident trying to avoid a small one!
Old 25th May 2011, 13:49   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I spotted an obvious learner on a Scooty in the right lane, virtually hugging the divider. Cars were zooming past her on her left at 80 kmph and above. I rolled down my window and told her "Please move to the left lane". Incredibly her friend on pillion told her to IGNORE ME and carry on.
In this case you were the good samaritan asking the ladies to move on the left lane.

But what i have also seen sometimes is if a biker/scooter fellow is on the right lane and is giving an indication to move to the left lane (using the indicator) cars do not have the patience to wait till he completes the move. Everybody just passes them as quickly as possible and then the biker gets confused and stays in the right lane. This happens even with cyclists especially under the Wakad bridge.

Patience i think is the order of the day to drive on roads today.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:44   #1987
BHPian

Two close shaves yesterday -

1) On the Paud road flyover, a 25 - 27 year old lady driving an alto, smack in the middle of the road at a speed of less than 20 (road free in front of her). There was no way a car could overtake her. She was visibly nervous and was moving the car left - then right - then left again (warm up lap on F1, anyone). Two wheelers overtook her but cars couldnt. Just as we exited the flyover, she got even more nervous. People were getting impatient and I was worried that there might be an accident if someone tried to cut across her. I finally decided to block her from the right after the exit and signalled people to overtake me from the right (road is wide for some distance) and yes I turned on my hazard switch. She understood and held her line, but was still jiggling the steering wheel (ala 70's movies). Lack of training or bad alignment I dont know. Tried to do this as long as I could. Once traffic started flowing I just gave her a smile put my hand up and just signalled her to relax. She smiled back! .
Hope she reached safely and didnt hurt anyone on the way.

2) Enroute to office, I had just crossed the Nashik phata chowk (Dapodi-Pimpri). This is a fast road and I was doing 50 or so. There was this chap on a Scooty who was ahead of me. He was smack in the middle of the lane doing the same speed. All of a sudden without warning (no brake light) this A$$ slows down. I was kind of accelerating when this happened (to overtake because there was enough space on the right). I honked, tapped my brake to let the ST bus trailing me know that I might need to brake and swerved right, with my foot of the gas after dropping two gears. The Idiot was answering a call on his phone, which he pulled out from the right pocket of the jeans he was wearing after some acrobatics. He was oblivious of the trouble he caused. He kept riding at that speed while talking on the phone!

Last edited by torquecurve : 25th May 2011 at 14:51.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:57   #1988
BHPian

Hi Ironh4wk

Stimulated by you am now carrying my cam with me on the car. Today was the first day but to my misfortune(rather should i say fortune) did not find any scene worthy of a shot.
Come to think of it in Chennai today's drive was really good for me.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:13   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk
Hi Ironh4wk

Stimulated by you am now carrying my cam with me on the car. Today was the first day but to my misfortune(rather should i say fortune) did not find any scene worthy of a shot.
Come to think of it in Chennai today's drive was really good for me.
You drove around Bangalore and didn't find anything to shoot? :Shocked Are you sure you were in Bangalore?
Old 26th May 2011, 00:46   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi Alavandar,

I would like to point out one factor that motivates most of the drivers to step on the gas pedal to beat the amber light. It is may be because of tail-gaters?
As I see, two categories- First, on a clear road, guy far off the amber, stepping on gas - Bad driver. Second - Guy closely followed by moronic drivers, tempo, bus, etc - To make split second decision, to slow down or step on gas, depending on how fast are the vehicles behind you and how far is the amber. Hobson s choice!!
Old 26th May 2011, 09:17   #1991
Distinguished - BHPian

This bike decided to maintain the right side of the lane overtaking me first then the car in front of me. He did a good stretch keeping himself on the right lane and cut sharply to the left when he came close to the auto. The cops used to strictly punish people overtaking on bridges but where are they now? Even private buses do the same here giving close calls to many.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00568201105260832.jpg  

Old 26th May 2011, 09:24   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Last night arounf 10:40pm, I was going from Banjara Hills to HiTech city. After the turn near Honda showroom on road No. 36 Jubilee Hills, a lady started her car and merged straight into the right most lane at almost a right angle !

I had one Innova and one city bus behind me, everyone was moving at 30-40 and accelerating further. God saved me from bumping into her or the divider - the Innova guy had to break very hard and so did the bus.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:55   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
As I see, two categories- First, on a clear road, guy far off the amber, stepping on gas - Bad driver. Second - Guy closely followed by moronic drivers, tempo, bus, etc - To make split second decision, to slow down or step on gas, depending on how fast are the vehicles behind you and how far is the amber. Hobson s choice!!
Yeah, it's a tough world out there, buddy!
Old 26th May 2011, 11:52   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This bike decided to maintain the right side of the lane overtaking me first then the car in front of me. He did a good stretch keeping himself on the right lane and cut sharply to the left when he came close to the auto. The cops used to strictly punish people overtaking on bridges but where are they now? Even private buses do the same here giving close calls to many.
And you clicked this while driving?
Old 26th May 2011, 12:34   #1995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
And you clicked this while driving?
hehe. Yep. I will be qualified for this thread too but wanted to capture these culprits. I maintained a very low speed to capture this and make sure its safe. My phone is always on camera mode while am on my way to office so as to minimize the time to capture them. A bit safer too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks