Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 17:19   #2026
Mik
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Off late, i am becoming a bad driver myself. Its reactionary but still.
A few days back i was on my bike and a zma guy cut across me wildly. I had to brake like crazy to avoid a collision. At the next signal, i did the same to him - leaving some margin. Regretted this afterwards.

Another time - i was on the LHS of the road and wanted to take a U turn at a cut. An alto was 100m behind (no other vehicle on the road obstructing) and on seeing me trying to take a turn suddenly speeded up shifting from his middle to the RHS lane. I had given the indicator and had stuck a hand out too but he wanted space. I didn't wilt and completed the turn - with the alto guy doing some hard braking. Then (as is my only defence against mad drivers) i gave him the finger. Was crestfallen to see a very senior guy in the car glaring at me. Almost felt apologetic

Lots of land-money rich locals in their scorpio/innova/fortuner with all lights blazing drive on the middle of the road at night. All i do is try and maintain my lane - leading to some scary last moment handling and finger waving.

How to curb these instincts - living in a city where aggression and might is always right.
Old 30th May 2011, 18:26   #2027
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's another driver spotted at the "usual" place where I get to see such drivers. I was following the right most side of the lane and the traffic was held up near the bridge. This guy decides to take the wrong lane and tries to squeeze in near the bridge. Also note a bike overtaking this car. The bus tries to squeeze in from the left. This is what's happening everyday.

BTW, the car had an advocate sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00607201105301606.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00608201105301606.jpg  

Old 30th May 2011, 20:10   #2028
Distinguished - BHPian

@naveenraju- it's great that you captured these idiots in action. One of these days I am gong to film the entire action on my daily commute. I live just off a 6-lane road with excellent medians and limited places where one can U-turn. Naturally most people prefer switching to the opposite (wrong) side of the road if they need to take a right turn at a spot where there is no gap in the median. Which means that on any given day there is a stream of vehicles on the leftmost lane that is coming the WRONG WAY! It's hilarious to see, if it weren't that dangerous.

I steadfastly refuse to indulge in this practice and have been ridiculed by people who think I'm a wimp; one time I was actually ABUSED by a guy in a car that plonked itself in my path and refused to give way saying that he was there first . Concepts like right of way make no sense in the Indian context as it is- now we have to accept that even the "right way" is an amorphous comment at best
Old 30th May 2011, 20:25   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Yesterday evening returning from Indira Nagar , had to take the turn towards cambridge layout at 100 ft road. The signal was green towards domlur and red for the right turn.There was a Nano parked with right indicator blinking , I stopped behind him and turned on the indicator. A lady in scooty came through some magic back hole and some how wedged her scooter between , the non existent space between the nano and my car. By then the signal had turned red for all directions. A trucker tried to beat the signal and failed and some "dudes" in a santro stopped behind the truck. Their front bumper is parallel to my B-Pillar. Once the signal turned green the nano and scooty completed the turn and i was just completing the same as I saw the santro guy revving his engine trying to cut me through the left. There is not enough width and both had to break to avoid contact. I rolled down the window and asked him "what are you doing" . The guy rolling his chewing gum beween his teeth like a cow boy brings up his hand , i expected an aplogy but me got a finger and question enquiring what my problem was and races away. Though I am usually a defensive driver, something just snapped - Gear Down and caught him at the next junction again the moron is on the left side of the road for a right turn. I saw the space on his right side before he could move i passed him through the right . His ego hurt i could hear his engine crying for mercy, but to no avail , there is a rickshaw on left side of the road , so i too slowed and ran parallel to the auto , the guy is honking like mad. I slowed further came parallel to the Santro , gave him my best grin and off...I know i should have kept my cool and let the moron and his santro get his lesson elsewhere. But not only was he driving dangerously also behaving as though others should bear his harebrainedness.
Shouldn't have engaged in that piece of action , but somewhere deep inside me i got a feeling , the guy deserved more
Hi JoeMichael,

I understand your frustration. Happens to me every single day.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:38   #2030
BHPian

I am wary of drivers with following symptoms :

1) Braking too frequently

2) Honking persistently

3) Vigourous rotating their steerings

4) Speaking on cellphone and driving

5) Some nervous female drivers and old people driving with L board.

One more shocking phenomenon is that some drivers or personalities rather go blank for fraction of seconds but still manage to drive. Can you imagine sitting besides such person and travelling, real scary. I did experience once and thanked my stars that his mental block returned to normal self sooner than expected on a Sunday when there was least traffic.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st May 2011 at 12:21. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 30th May 2011, 21:32   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yep in Bangalore. Around the Marathahalli area where I stay.

His contention was I should have let him pass the dug up area before me as he had flashed his headlights.
Is flashing lights a cure to do anything stupid in bangalore ? And the common rule is that, if someone flashes headlight, they have every right to overtake on the wrong side, cut lanes etc without even bothering whether they are doing something good or wrong. And ego plays big time here.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 22:39   #2032
BHPian

Are Bad drivers also Bad at parking. Or Parking without a care about the trouble others go through because of them? A few recent images with comments.

1) Our office parking -

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-office.jpg

a) A M800 parked to the right of the 'No parking beyond this point sign.
b) Two swifts parked where easily atleast one more car could have fit in!!!

2) Had been to K'nagar Dmart today for some monthly grocery shopping.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dmart-nano.jpg

a) Can someone please tell this Chap that the line is not for centering your car but you park between the lines. Also look at the Swift to the left (Vernacular number plate, parked across!)

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dmart-swift1.jpg
b) This Swift was parked in a way which blocked the path to go to the next parking lane in front of it. He parked at the entrance to that. Observe there are no parking lines where he has parked! What an A$$ (for want of a better word).

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dmart-swift2.jpg

Same guy!!!

Why cant people think about others as well. When I park I make sure there is clearance for the car next to mine for them to open doors easily. I spend time to align the car with the lines.

I am planning to keep a booklet of post-it notes in my car with a pen. Next time, I will put an large note saying IDIOT on the car drivers door and rear windscreen! What say to this?
Old 31st May 2011, 07:18   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I am planning to keep a booklet of post-it notes in my car with a pen. Next time, I will put an large note saying IDIOT on the car drivers door and rear windscreen! What say to this?
This is a brilliant idea. I should also think of implementing this. Will make sure to put it on the rear screen to avoid any marks on the painted surface.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:09   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Buddy , Guess you will have to spent a fortune on Post-it- if you are do that for every ridiculous parking. May be you can ordera consignment from 3M

But seriously its not only lack of driving sense but also civic sense.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:28   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Is flashing lights a cure to do anything stupid in bangalore ? And the common rule is that, if someone flashes headlight, they have every right to overtake on the wrong side, cut lanes etc without even bothering whether they are doing something good or wrong. And ego plays big time here.

Despite giving indication that you want pass first, there are drivers who violate this signal. In blore the driving habits have changed because of call centre vehicles, who drive like as if they are Rambos sometimes, as if they are engaged in warfare in Afghanistan Lolz
Old 31st May 2011, 11:12   #2036
BHPian

An accident waiting to happen, special thanks to this Auto Driver.

Name:  Dangerous Driver.JPG
Views: 6813
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 31st May 2011, 12:03   #2037
BHPian

Felt like an idiot today, was driving car to office and saw a pool of water on the road (yesterday's after effect). Since people were standing near the footpath and waiting to cross, i slowed down car considerably (no vehicle near my car but could see a call center sumo at a far distance) and was proceeding slowly to avoid inconveniencing anyone by splashing the dirty water.

The pool of water was visible from a long distance and even with my car slowed down and SOS indicators on, the sumo was in a hurry and splashed water badly on to my car, the people around ! Thankfully the windows of my car were closed, and hope the Sumo guy achieved what he wanted. He should be stuffed and kept in some museum of fame
Old 31st May 2011, 15:35   #2038
BHPian

A guy causing a problem by trying to be good.

I was behind a Wagon R today on a divided road, both of us doing between 30 and 40. Just as he reached a gap in the divider, he put his right indicator on.

I thought he wanted to make a u-turn and had seen the gap at the last minute. Anticipating that he was going to brake, I braked hard. He kept going without making the u-turn.

I then realised he had put his indicator on because the road gently curved to the right just after the gap.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:40   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
A guy causing a problem by trying to be good.

I was behind a Wagon R today on a divided road, both of us doing between 30 and 40. Just as he reached a gap in the divider, he put his right indicator on.

I thought he wanted to make a u-turn and had seen the gap at the last minute. Anticipating that he was going to brake, I braked hard. He kept going without making the u-turn.

I then realised he had put his indicator on because the road gently curved to the right just after the gap.

how much space did you have between the two cars? You shouldn't have had to break hard merely at the sight of indicators.

But then again, the traffic in Hyderabad ...
Old 31st May 2011, 19:48   #2040
BHPian

Three guys on a motorcycle doing dangerous maneuvers on the Chennai ECR Road.
They were doing this act for about 5 minutes but couldn't record more as my camera's memory card was full.

Most Viewed