Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 13:30   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
He said sorry?? Rarely does one find a person on the road willing to accept his/her mistake. But yes, most two wheelers are used to overtaking a turning vehicle. If the turn allows, i try not to leave any gap on my turning side for a two wheeler. But then they attempt to overtake on the outside of the turn and cut right across the front of the car Sometimes i feel most two wheeler riders are in a real rush to meet their maker.

Yeah he did. I stopped him, got down the car and explained how what he did could have endangered himself if I were not to brake, I was occasionally smiling while I was at it. Evidently he is not a local so his only way out was a sorry.

This was third such stopping for me in last 2 months. 2 Said sorry (one of them actually scraped past my bumper so had no option) the third was with a lady pinion driver and his non existent ego was hurt and said something close to "mind your own business" in local language and sped off, hopefully he does not endanger the life of the lady behind him!

Last edited by anilisanil : 8th July 2011 at 13:31.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:18   #2492
BHPian

Today at about 1445 hrs in front of Haiko, Hiranandani:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ss.jpg

I would have smashed the Benz had I not stepped on the brakes at the right time.

What he did wrong was the following:

1. Direct U turn from his parking space across two lanes of fairly high traffic.
2. No signal/indication.
3. Cut me off when it was clearly my right of way, I was about 5m from him when he suddenly came in from of me.
4. A roundabout was hardly 15-20m in front of us.
5. Complete disrespect towards others on the road. He did not even look before starting his turn.

To certify that he was and will be a bad driver- no seatbelt.

I was the first one who had to stop due to this stupid driving. There was soon a huge back up of traffic behind me, who as usual, kept on honking because the Benz driver could not complete his turn because there was heavy flow of traffic in the opposite direction. I had to stop for a good 20-30 seconds.

Aalok
aalokg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 16:42   #2493
Senior - BHPian

^^ This reinforces my belief that dividers should be a must on every road in India. They force all (well most) drivers to respect their direction of traffic and not interfere with the flow of oncoming vehicles

Very little that one can do in such a situation other than curse under ones breath
Old 8th July 2011, 16:45   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^ This reinforces my belief that dividers should be a must on every road in India. They force all (well most) drivers to respect their direction of traffic and not interfere with the flow of oncoming vehicles

Very little that one can do in such a situation other than curse under ones breath
Are you kidding? This mrec would have gone in the wrong direction. A case in point is the part of Pune-Bangalore Highway between Hinjewadi and Katraj, there are many patches where people do wrong side just because the gap in the median is too far away from their intended direction.

Once a moron, always a moron!
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 17:25   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Today I was waiting for my turn to turn right and merge into highway. This junction is a bit funny as people do not let you merge into the slow lane, so most of the times we will have to merge into the high speed lane and accelerate. So I just make sure that I accelerate fast into the lane when the oncoming vehicle goes to the left lane to accommodate me.

!
I presume you are alluding to the HEMRL/Praj T junction aka the Bavdhan exit. I remember when the underpass to HEMRL did not exist, wardens would stop the highway traffic to let people cross over. Now it's a free for all while merging into HJW bound lanes.
Vehicles should be allowed to use the underpass and merge into HJW bound traffic from HEMRL side.

BTW, any thoughts around what the long retaining wall type structure is on the pashan lake side adjoining the highway? I am hoping a soon to be built service road. It might make life easy. A lot of bad riders/drivers coming the wrong way to go to Pashan from the temple road. I've even seen a JCB do that once!
Old 8th July 2011, 17:31   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I presume you are alluding to the HEMRL/Praj T junction aka the Bavdhan exit. I remember when the underpass to HEMRL did not exist, wardens would stop the highway traffic to let people cross over. Now it's a free for all while merging into HJW bound lanes.
Vehicles should be allowed to use the underpass and merge into HJW bound traffic from HEMRL side.

BTW, any thoughts around what the long retaining wall type structure is on the pashan lake side adjoining the highway? I am hoping a soon to be built service road. It might make life easy. A lot of bad riders/drivers coming the wrong way to go to Pashan from the temple road. I've even seen a JCB do that once!
I agree with you on the underpass, I wonder why they closed it.

On the service road front, hope that materializes. I even complained to the PTP on the menace on FB page, they just replied stating that Chatushringi police would take action, but I don't see any. It is indeed shocking to see even loaded trucks come in the direction of moving traffic! Hopeless!
Old 8th July 2011, 17:48   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you kidding? This mrec would have gone in the wrong direction. A case in point is the part of Pune-Bangalore Highway between Hinjewadi and Katraj, there are many patches where people do wrong side just because the gap in the median is too far away from their intended direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
A lot of bad riders/drivers coming the wrong way to go to Pashan from the temple road. I've even seen a JCB do that once!
Quote:
It is indeed shocking to see even loaded trucks come in the direction of moving traffic! Hopeless!
I am a rare traveller on the bypass, have used it only thrice in the last 2 year or so I guess. I have a weird aversion to that road, IMHO it is one of the best examples of bad town planning.

I think enforcement of rules is where we seriously lack in India.
Edit: add lack of prohibitive rules & fines

Last edited by selfdrive : 8th July 2011 at 17:51.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:04   #2498
BHPian

Quote:

Once a moron, always a moron!
Well said selfdrive and Anil. The patch between Hinjewadi and Katraj is definitely a deadly one.

Is this ramp at Wakad not one-way ? I believe it is, but I have seen all vehicles use it in the opposite direction merrily.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Aalok
Old 10th July 2011, 09:59   #2499
Distinguished - BHPian

This time it happens to a cop. The pic clearly sees the bike and the cop blocking the free left. The poor auto driver had no choice but to wait. Cops were busy after the law breakers. Guess they forgot about themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00680201107091618.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00681201107091619.jpg  

Old 11th July 2011, 13:13   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Today at about 1445 hrs in front of Haiko, Hiranandani:

Attachment 574156

I would have smashed the Benz had I not stepped on the brakes at the right time.

What he did wrong was the following:

1. Direct U turn from his parking space across two lanes of fairly high traffic.
2. No signal/indication.
3. Cut me off when it was clearly my right of way, I was about 5m from him when he suddenly came in from of me.
4. A roundabout was hardly 15-20m in front of us.
5. Complete disrespect towards others on the road. He did not even look before starting his turn.

To certify that he was and will be a bad driver- no seatbelt.

I was the first one who had to stop due to this stupid driving. There was soon a huge back up of traffic behind me, who as usual, kept on honking because the Benz driver could not complete his turn because there was heavy flow of traffic in the opposite direction. I had to stop for a good 20-30 seconds.

Aalok
Quite a common scene Aalok. I have been a victim quite a few times too. Actually the gap in the median at the spot should itself be closed. I still wonder how much fuel or even time these drivers save considering the fact that they are idling right there the middle of the road waiting to find their way between the oncoming traffic, leave alone the cumulative amount of fuel and time wasted by all the vehicles waiting.
swarooppatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 09:43   #2501
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore, as far as private vehicles are concerned, I feel that the hatchbacks are driven most irresponsibly -highbeams without reason, sudden turns without signal, driving on the wrong side to avoid making a u-turn etc. My hypothesis: these vehicles are probably the first cars of folks who have graduated from a bike to a car - and they continue driving them like bikes. And we know how bikes are driven in cities.

Another rant: there is a new petrol pump in front of our housing complex. 50% of the vehicles drive on the wrong side for ~ 60-70 feet to avoid making the U-turn once they fill up fuel. Huge dumper trucks to a moped - all opt for the short cut. Surprisingly, even private vehicles belonging to our complex do that.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:46   #2502
BHPian

Another grouse that I have, probably would be shared by many others. Usually observed in smaller lanes, whenever there is a traffic situation, the impatient bikers, cabbies and even some so called educated and well to do car owners try to move ahead from the other side of the road thus blocking the oncoming traffic. The most ironic part is that to clear to clear the traffic the cops allow these guys to go first to that the situation could be brought under control. I still wonder, why can't they be fined and go back all the way to the end of the queue waiting to move forward?
Old 12th July 2011, 10:55   #2503
BHPian

Yesterday was a bad driver bonanza for me.

Left office at around 5:30, just a couple of minutes into the drive, near Diamond District Domlur, an innova guy on the left lane decides to take a U turn to the right- Traffic Block. And here comes a lady ninja in her activa squeezing through non-existent gap between vehicles. She misses my RVM by a whisker. Just as I was about to relax..Kaboom , off comes my Wheel Cap. Gave her a nasty look , got down , and pushed it back into position.

Over the flyover, touches 100 ft road , indicator to the left, turn after Barbeque nation, just as I was into the turn, a Pulsar guy cuts right in front , had to slam the brake to avoid him..Deep Breath, dont loose your cool.

Goes further forward, stuck behind a mini van. I have to go left from the junction.The van's right indicator is flashing. I moved into the left to take the turn and to my horror, the van also turns left. Break and Honk. Mini Van driver - "Cant you see the indicator " ? Me - " Please check it first". The guy returns a sheepish grin. Took a sip of water , cool down.

Another KM , a splendor guy comes casually from a side road to the middle of the road. Break hard to avoid, the guy looks back in slow motion and off. Reaches T- Junction opposite St.Meera's school. Left Indicator on well in advance. One Bike guy is still coming through the left. Lets him pass and takes the turn and here comes another activa guy - trying to utilize the non-existent gap between sidewalk and the car. Stops and lets him pass. Recited a "hail mary".

Reaches the signal after Command Hospital entrance, joining old airport road.Signal turns green, started, here comes a BMTC from the airport road , breaking signal in top speed. Narrowly misses a gentle man in a Kine , but guess what another lady racer, is following the bus, stops inches from my left fender.

Forward - Signal before ASC center, right to trinity circle , straight towards richmond road.Both Signals are green. I am on the left lane, signal towards right turns red. An I10 guy changes lane, no signal , no nothing, sudden shift to left lane. Break hard. my fender a finger's length from his- told him "please use RVM" . But then i realized , his RVM is folded and the guy is talking into his blue tooth headset.

Finally reached palmgrove road, had to take a right turn to the pocket road. Indicator on. There was a car approaching in opposite direction. Lets him pass,started turning and screech...An auto guy thought he is fast enough to pass me before I took the turn. I was well past the middle of the road, there was hardly any space to my right. Let him go , and again screech, This time the auto guy wasn't so lucky, another auto was taking a right turn to the lane ahead and the guy tried the maneuver again , but this time made contact.

Didnt wait to see what followed. Reached home , thanked Christ Almighty for saving the car and giving me patience. That is 10 Bad Drivers in a 4 km trip. Never have I faced so many extremes before.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:17   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Yesterday was a bad driver bonanza for me.

============

Didnt wait to see what followed. Reached home , thanked Christ Almighty for saving the car and giving me patience. That is 10 Bad Drivers in a 4 km trip. Never have I faced so many extremes before.
Unfortunately all those types of incidents are a daily occurence here in Bangalore I really feel like buying a second hand jeep and driving it on the roads (or a Mahindra Axe if i can get one...)
Old 12th July 2011, 15:47   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Unfortunately all those types of incidents are a daily occurence here in Bangalore.
+1 to that. I'm practicing how to control my anger and be cool, every day.
Last weekend, I was travelling on Bannerghatta Road, just after Hulimavu, towards Bannerghatta. I was following a bus, which was moving on the right lane (next to the median) Suddenly, the bus swerved to the left lane and to my horror, I saw a three wheeler coming straight at me on the right lane, in the opposite direction. This moron was driving against the traffic to avoid going few meters and taking a proper U-turn to the other side of the road. Luckily for me, the left lane was empty and I swiftly moved to my left. If somebody was there in the left lane, I would have had no other option but to ram straight into the oncoming idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
I really feel like buying a second hand jeep and driving it on the roads (or a Mahindra Axe if i can get one...)
I feel like getting a used rusted tipper truck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks