Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 15:02   #2686
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I thought Hyd traffic was the worst, but from the last couple of pages, looks like Cochin and surrondings are competing seriously for this There was a time I used to admire the motorist in Kerala who drive well inspite of the bad roads. The pvt buses were an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
HYD does not cease to surprise me. We had to pick up a relative from Secunderabad station today and as I was the only one with a drivers license, well, it was my car that was out!.
When I started travelling in Hyd, I was stunned to see the way the motorists behave. And many a time these motorist happend to be well educated youngsters. Also noticed that be it a 2 wheeler travelling with 4 -5 occupants, and autos.. hmm lesser said the better, even a car cannot do it. I decided to buy a car after having some close calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yesterday morning around 8:30AM (start of rush hour) on Nelson Manickam Road, just before the subway starts. I am following a Swift and on the lane adjacent to median. Suddenly the Swift takes a quick left and before I can wonder why he did that, I also am forced to do the same. Reason being a moron who had stopped suddenly close to the median so that his wife can get off the bike and jump over the median to cross the road. As I pass by cursing him for endangering his and his wife's life by stopping so abruptly in traffic and in the middle of the road, I see that an infant is strapped to his chest in a kangaroo/sling bag. So, he was endangering 3 lives.
Looks like too much affection to let them walk a couple of extra steps!! I saw one, where a 2 wheeler decides the same at the harrington road signal right next to the round-about during the morning peak hour. She wanted to go the shopper stop or the office complex before that. The dont realise that apart from putting themselves at risk(its their call), it puts other motorist at risk. Same for the 2 wheeler riders who want to cut across a car just before a median.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 10th August 2011 at 15:04. Reason: correction
Old 10th August 2011, 15:09   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Whatever the case, if you are going to be overtaking anything, stationary or not, by using the opposite lane - you simply have to wait till it's clear
It was clear when I entered . There was no one overtaking the sumo guy as i had a clear vision of what was coming .He could have just slowed down and allowed me to pass or given me some space to pass as i was riding my bike. The width of the road is such that two buses can pass each other leaving a foot of space in between.
I was generally speaking about the mentality of people .
Quote:
There was a time I used to admire the motorist in Kerala who drive well inspite of the bad roads. The pvt buses were an exception.
Even if you drive well you get screwed by the others. For eg : If you leave a little space between your car and the one in front someone will overtake and will try to fit in the gap forcing you drop back.

Last edited by bullboy : 10th August 2011 at 15:13.
Old 10th August 2011, 15:21   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
It was clear when I entered . There was no one overtaking the sumo guy as i had a clear vision of what was coming .He could have just slowed down and allowed me to pass or given me some space to pass as i was riding my bike. The width of the road is such that two buses can pass each other leaving a foot of space in between.
I was generally speaking about the mentality of people .

Even if you drive well you get screwed by the others. For eg : If you leave a little space between your car and the one in front someone will overtake and will try to fit in the gap forcing you drop back.
Aah you were on a bike! I missed that. My apologies then.

Completely agree on the mentality of people part. People think cutting across someone rashly or 'stealing' someone's place is an achievement. I have learnt to ignore them- mostly.
Old 10th August 2011, 17:15   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies then.
No worries Friend. Every day is a day of survival.Bike is a hell of a dangerous thing .But i cant find a better thing to commute .Car takes 1+ hrs Bike takes half an hour or may be five minutes more and is pocket friendly too.
Old 10th August 2011, 22:48   #2690
Senior - BHPian

This private bus wanted to turn right with the left turn indicators ON. It had twin turn lights. Not surprising as Kochi private bus drivers are known for many negligent acts.
Also look at the Accent guy, who has his hazards On as a signal to proceed straight!!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-bus.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-bus2.jpg
See also the two wheelers proceeding through the wrong lane to turn right. They are at great risk as they are on the free left path. This habit has now caught on.

The Santro driver wants to proceed straight and he is at the right lane. See his left wheels.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-10082011516.jpg

Many bad drivers.

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th August 2011 at 23:01. Reason: addition
Old 11th August 2011, 22:22   #2691
Senior - BHPian

The Tavera guy tried to be smart by attempting to squeeze past and ended up creating total lock in, for quite some time. See his attempts to get past, and in the last picture see him trying to repeat it through the left. Real bad driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-3.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-4.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-last.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th August 2011 at 22:40.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 09:04   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The Tavera guy tried to be smart by attempting to squeeze past and ended up creating total lock in, for quite some time. See his attempts to get past, and in the last picture see him trying to repeat it through the left. Real bad driving.
That is some pitiful driving. why in the world was he driving into oncoming traffic. and after several attempts he resorts to the left to try and get past.
Why can't people follow one another and just drive smoothly.
It would be a lot less stressful, and smoother, enabling us to drive more efficiently too.
We are all driving to reach a destination, nobody wants to stay on the road.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 12:07   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That is some pitiful driving. why in the world was he driving into oncoming traffic. and after several attempts he resorts to the left to try and get past.
This is business as usual on any and every road in India where there is no divider. Unfortunately all these morons think too highly of themselves and their time. Nobody wants to spend an extra minute on the road, and any other vehicle is only an obstacle or nuisance that has to be overtaken.

The best way out would be to confiscate these vehicles and leave them unattended (with wheel jammers) on a desolated stretch of road for 3 nights at the owners risk. If any one takes away or breaks anything it would be a better lesson for them not to pull such stunts again.

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th August 2011 at 12:08.
Old 15th August 2011, 20:51   #2694
Senior - BHPian

I never knew that Brazil fans do not need license plates until I spotted this Maruti Alto on the national highway. : D
Attached Images

Old 16th August 2011, 09:16   #2695
BHPian

This morning : This PMPML bus came from the Kothrud side and the driver stopped for a few seconds pondering which route to take. Finally he opted for the illegal one. Going up the road which is a one-way in opposite direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-badd1.jpg  

mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 18:22   #2696
LNK
BHPian

I've noticed that valets on 100ft road Indira nagar (Bangalore) often park cars on the footpaths on either sides of the road. Now, yes the foot paths are pretty wide, but it's still a violation of traffic rules, yeah? So in case a penalty is issued on the car, what happens? Or do these restaurants etc have an understanding with cops/neighbors?
Old 16th August 2011, 21:04   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
I've noticed that valets on 100ft road Indira nagar (Bangalore) often park cars on the footpaths on either sides of the road. Now, yes the foot paths are pretty wide, but it's still a violation of traffic rules, yeah? So in case a penalty is issued on the car, what happens? Or do these restaurants etc have an understanding with cops/neighbors?
That's a very great point you brought up there.
Sadly all these restaurants who violate parking norms. Work hand in hand with the cops who receive their cut weekly or monthly.
and hence there is an understanding between them.
So you will see the cars parked by the restaurants are never picked up or locked.
ofcourse when there is a fallout between them for various reasons you will see them taking action and start locking or taking away the vehicles, maybe even put up a no parking sign if there wasn't any before.
Sad, but it's the way things operate.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:47   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Came across this car driven very badly and in a rash manner on Independence day, probably celebrating the freedom. Some of his overtaking maneuvers were really terrifying, turns almost 90 degrees right from the blind spot behind a bus and then another left to oncoming traffic. His odometer would have been clocking at least a KM extra per every ten km due to this kind of driving. Always on two lanes and I have some sample pictures.

He overtook me with continuous honking at a bump near a toll booth and after a 25 km drive saw him in spite of all his exploits, two cars ahead still in his inimical style. Mind you, I was driving steadily never exceeding 60kmph in the holiday afternoon traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver2.jpg  

Old 16th August 2011, 23:00   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
This morning : This PMPML bus came from the Kothrud side and the driver stopped for a few seconds pondering which route to take. Finally he opted for the illegal one. Going up the road which is a one-way in opposite direction.
This is a daily nuisance.The road is very narrow and you always encounter people coming up breaking the rules. Two wheelers breaking the rule come head-on too fast and there is very little space to take corrective action.

Last edited by Adi_k : 16th August 2011 at 23:07.
Old 16th August 2011, 23:11   #2700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I'm not surprised.

In your earlier post, there is a picture of a two-wheeler trying to overtake the red bus and while doing so, goes onto the wrong side of the road and in the line of on-coming traffic.

I see this everyday in Bangalore. In fact, I've noticed one habit that has spread like a disease amongst two-wheelers in the city. When they approach an intersection or a crossing where they wish to take a turn, they automatically turn into the road irrespective of the traffic on it. What they do is get onto the extreme-side of the wrong side of the road and when the traffic thins out, they merge with the traffic going in their direction.

Basically, they cut the corner when they're taking a right, instead of stopping and letting traffic go through. You see, what I understand of this, is that two-wheelers just don't want to wait and stay put when they approach a turning. They want to complete their turn come rain or shine. They live for gaps!

Bottom line is, they lack patience. And it's the same case with everyone.

I'm sure a truck driver would do the same thing if he was on a two-wheeler. It's just that when he drives a truck he can't do that.

Most Viewed