Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 13:00   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Yesterday I was on my way back home taking my usual route on nice road at around 7.30 pm from Hosur road to Bannerghatta road. On the exit to bannerghatta road there was a huge traffic jam just after the makeshift tollbooth. I was surprised to see even educated folks in cars going on the wrong side of the exit and blocking the oncoming traffic. This delayed further the movement of traffic and I was stuck in the traffic for nearly an Hour. I am totally at loss of words as why such educated folks go on and block the traffic and cause jams which affect hundreds of people for over an hour.
Old 20th August 2011, 13:32   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I was surprised to see even educated folks in cars going on the wrong side of the exit and blocking the oncoming traffic. .
Common sight at New Bel road. You will find everyone on the wrong side of the road. People in a suit and a tie in expensive cars are regular offenders.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:20   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Yesterday I was on my way back home taking my usual route on nice road at around 7.30 pm from Hosur road to Bannerghatta road. On the exit to bannerghatta road there was a huge traffic jam just after the makeshift tollbooth. I was surprised to see even educated folks in cars going on the wrong side of the exit and blocking the oncoming traffic. This delayed further the movement of traffic and I was stuck in the traffic for nearly an Hour. I am totally at loss of words as why such educated folks go on and block the traffic and cause jams which affect hundreds of people for over an hour.
This is becoming quite a common sight. I have seen many people even in S-classes going on the wrong side of the road and then cutting in later. If you bring to their notice that they have done the wrong thing, they either give you a long dirty stare or will show you the middle finger. I have come across this quite a few times. They think they rule the road.
Old 20th August 2011, 22:05   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Many bad drivers were seen today but could click only two which is posted.

Saw six to seven bikers all with pillion and youngsters, probably students, crisscrossing & weaving in and out of traffic at breakneck speed overtaking through Left Right and centre majority without wearing helmets. They were riding from Vytilla towards Elamkulam. Other motorists and passers by were awe struck including three to four police constables at the janatha Junction. They all went out of sight in a flash and could not click as I was alone in my car. The leader of the pack was driving very very dangerously.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-2.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2011, 18:43   #2720

Driving habits can vary from individual to individual and greatly depends on what he thinks.Let us consider an example, a four lane highway where you have two tracks slow one and obviously the speed track,how many of our road users know about it and you find extra descent gentlemen and respectacble oldies snailing through the speed track with no regard to the honking from behind.This forces the trailor(one behind) to overtake through the left which is by rules the wrong way of doing it.
Now who is responsible the trailor or the traitor?
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:16   #2721
BHPian

Hello Team,

Pertaining to the incident mentioned in my post, I have now updated this on 'Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook Account'.
I'm a bit relaxed now, as many good souls assures me that, if something goes wrong, they will be there to support or help me.
dev_kudle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:57   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Today morning at around 9:15 AM, I was heading towards my office at CV Raman Nagar, Baghmane Tech Park, Bangalore. Near Michael Pallya road, saw one Black Scorpio (KA 03- ML 1829) bashed one pedastrian and tried to escape. While doing so, he rammed one biker on right side. He again tried to escape. I tried to accelerate (I was on my bike) and block him, to request him to stop.

He suddenly accelerated and rear wheel went over my left foot. There was a traffic block ahead, he slowed down a bit, I caught upto him, and again asked him to stop. He straight forward banged my bike from behind and escaped into Baghmane tech park. I kept following him. He spent 15 min roaming around, taking U-turns and atlast entered Texas Insrtument building. I contacted 'Head Security' of Texas (Mr. Ramdas) and informed him about the incident. Gave my number, took his number. Atlast came to office, discussed this with my colleagues and decided to call the traffic helpline number, they asked me to logde a compalint at 'Indira Nagar Traffic Police station near to Jeevan Bhima Nagar.
I went there, they heard me, and took this down in writing. The scorpio guy was summoned to police station with his vehicle. The culprit landed there after half an hour later with his 'head Security'. The scorpio guy told me to speak in Kannada and not in Hindi or English as I'm in their land. He got good words from the cops. But the guy was very-very arrogant. The security head requested me not to file the complaint and he aplogized.
I told the cops and Texas guys that, I just want this culprit to learn a lesson and it's upto the cops wht to do in this case.
I came out of the police station and the scorpio guy was screaming behind me that, 'Go to support Anna Hazaare' you seem like him etc etc.
Me & my friend came back to office after meeting & shaking hands with Mr. Ramdas.
So guys tell me did I do something worng here? Do you guys think that, I shouldn't have followed this guy & forced him to showup at police station. Did I do the correct thing by not filing the complaint?? The guys told me that, he will see me
Mate kep going you did the right thing buddy. Am even happier that the Head Security actually helped out since in 2 instances with me the Security guy was securing the offender from the scene.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:26   #2723
BHPian

Incident Num 1:
---------------
Today morning I saw 2 Honda Divo riders( with pillion rides, who incidentally were girls wrapping their faces) drive like crazy on Delmia Circle, J P Nagar.

They zipped passed my car and though the signal was red, they did not care. They just vroomed. One of them was without helmet. Suddenly they saw cops standing around 10mtrs ahead of signal. They took a sharp U turn along with some screeching breaking and fled back and all that at a junction. Really head behind attitude of teenagers. It was evident that they were some adrenaline pumped teenagers perhaps trying to show chauvinism???. Whatever, I guess endagering life of theirs and others is not the right way to do it.

Incident 2:
----------

Not exactly bad drivers but this bugged me a lot. I took a U turn at delmia circle at 12 at night and was waiting for a guest to arrive via Vajra bus.Since I was little early, I decided to keep to the left most lane and drive very slow with parking lights on. I decided to keep slow and take a left turn which is valid actually and retrace the same path to avoid any trouble to sparse taxi traffic at odd hour. Lo behold there is an Activa Uncleji( who incidentally was without helmet), comes to my driving side from behind and starts abusing me. I was like ... " I am sorry what did I do?". I told him that I am keeping leftmost and thus not causing any panic to otherwise clear roads. Woah! that guy literally blasted me for keeping on left. Since I did not know kannada, unfortunately I couldn't make out of his hateful spite. He even threatened me with his fists for god knows what, to which I got agitated and replied - "try that and I ll slam your bike". He wanted to have a wrestling but I ignored and moved on with same speed. he kept on abusing for god knows what. Looks like had a bad day.

I want to ask, is it wrong to drive slowly in leftmost lane if you do not intend to move ahead in a haste? I think I might have done something wrong. Did I miss something?

Last edited by acroback : 23rd August 2011 at 16:34.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:44   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Incident Num 1:
---------------
Today morning I saw 2 Honda Divo riders( with pillion rides, who incidentally were girls wrapping their faces) drive like crazy on Delmia Circle, J P Nagar.

They zipped passed my car and though the signal was red, they did not care. They just vroomed. One of them was without helmet. Suddenly they saw cops standing around 10mtrs ahead of signal. They took a sharp U turn along with some screeching breaking and fled back and all that at a junction. Really head behind attitude of teenagers. It was evident that they were some adrenaline pumped teenagers perhaps trying to show chauvinism???. Whatever, I guess endagering life of theirs and others is not the right way to do it.
Way too common now ! I suggest you slow down and keep as much distance from these morons as possible, whenever and wherever you spot such nuts. They consider it "cool" to be rash and reckless. No arguing with them !

Quote:

Incident 2:
----------

Not exactly bad drivers but this bugged me a lot. I took a U turn at delmia circle at 12 at night and was waiting for a guest to arrive via Vajra bus.Since I was little early, I decided to keep to the left most lane and drive very slow with parking lights on. I decided to keep slow and take a left turn which is valid actually and retrace the same path to avoid any trouble to sparse taxi traffic at odd hour. Lo behold there is an Activa Uncleji( who incidentally was without helmet), comes to my driving side from behind and starts abusing me. I was like ... " I am sorry what did I do?". I told him that I am keeping leftmost and thus not causing any panic to otherwise clear roads. Woah! that guy literally blasted me for keeping on left. Since I did not know kannada, unfortunately I couldn't make out of his hateful spite. He even threatened me with his fists for god knows what, to which I got agitated and replied - "try that and I ll slam your bike". He wanted to have a wrestling but I ignored and moved on with same speed. he kept on abusing for god knows what. Looks like had a bad day.

I want to ask, is it wrong to drive slowly in leftmost lane if you do not intend to move ahead in a haste? I think I might have done something wrong. Did I miss something?
Assuming that the traffic was really sparse at the said time, I dont think there is anything wrong in what you did unless he was trying to take the left turn and you just irritated him by being really slow and not letting him proceed. Plenty of nuts around at night. Do not stop to entertain or engage strangers at such odd times on the road. It is not very wise, especially if you are not from around here.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:20   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Incident Num 1:
---------------

Incident 2:
----------

Incident 1
The girls want to show that they match up to boys in driving and the moment they saw a cop and vamoosed it is evident they were not having a valid driving licence and riding without helmet is not an exception for females yet. The best thing is to follow your judgement and try to save your drive form getting scratched to the best possible extent

Incident 2

You did nothing wrong going by your account. Remember especially in nights never stop to pick an argument with someone when you do not know the local lingo really well and you may end up becoming easy bakra for the not so ethical elements of the dark. One of my colleagues did this mistake and his winshield was smashed by the biker duo(using his helmet),thankfully it was damage to vehicle and not to body (this happened on the Kanakapura road near Herohalli)

Cheers
Prasad
Old 24th August 2011, 12:27   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Over this weekend trip to chennai while going and coming back saw a lot of two wheeler, trucks, and wan turning left/right without any early warning of doing so. Also saw few folks running across the road to cross have no sense of the speed that people do on these highways.

After a few such instances i decided to press on the honk (Which i don't do very often) and give quick upper-dipper-upper so as they get the sense of speed and don't dare to come on the road or turn left/right and this helped immensely as they were clearly able to see flashing lights from a distance and kept onto their lane and let me pass.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:49   #2727
BHPian

Quote:

Incident 2:
----------
I decided to keep to the left most lane and drive very slow with parking lights on.

By parking lights, do you mean the blinking hazard lights? Is yes, that's what you could have avoided. If you wanna turn left, use only left indicators. Blinkers are only for emergency situations. People behind cannot determine what you are upto, if you keep moving with blinkers on.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:17   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
By parking lights, do you mean the blinking hazard lights? Is yes, that's what you could have avoided. If you wanna turn left, use only left indicators. Blinkers are only for emergency situations. People behind cannot determine what you are upto, if you keep moving with blinkers on.
Actually, I turned the parking lights on to signal that I cannot give you way, please go ahead from my right side. The argument started much before I took the left turn .

But hey, thanks for the tip. Will keep this in mind.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:15   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incident 2:
Did I miss something?
If you had used the hazard warning lamps (both blinkers on), then the guy on the scooter might've mistaken it for a "going straight" signal. Some morons believe that having both indicators on means that you're indicating that you will be going straight. This is absolutely wrong, as the hazard warning lights are meant to be used exactly as what their name suggests - warning others that your vehicle can be a hazard, like when you've had a breakdown, or an accident.

Please do not use your hazard warning lights unless you are at stand-still. It causes confusion. And don't forget to indicate well in advance before you make a turn.

Drive safe

Last edited by silversteed : 24th August 2011 at 16:17.
Old 24th August 2011, 21:09   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Today morning at around 9:15 AM, I was heading towards my office at CV Raman Nagar, Baghmane Tech Park, Bangalore. Near Michael Pallya road, saw one Black Scorpio (KA 03- ML 1829) bashed one pedastrian and tried to escape. While doing so, he rammed one biker on right side. He again tried to escape. I tried to accelerate (I was on my bike) and block him, to request him to stop.

He suddenly accelerated and rear wheel went over my left foot. There was a traffic block ahead, he slowed down a bit, I caught upto him, and again asked him to stop. He straight forward banged my bike from behind and escaped into Baghmane tech park. I kept following him. He spent 15 min roaming around, taking U-turns and atlast entered Texas Insrtument building. I contacted 'Head Security' of Texas (Mr. Ramdas) and informed him about the incident. Gave my number, took his number. Atlast came to office, discussed this with my colleagues and decided to call the traffic helpline number, they asked me to logde a compalint at 'Indira Nagar Traffic Police station near to Jeevan Bhima Nagar.
I went there, they heard me, and took this down in writing. The scorpio guy was summoned to police station with his vehicle. The culprit landed there after half an hour later with his 'head Security'. The scorpio guy told me to speak in Kannada and not in Hindi or English as I'm in their land. He got good words from the cops. But the guy was very-very arrogant. The security head requested me not to file the complaint and he aplogized.
I told the cops and Texas guys that, I just want this culprit to learn a lesson and it's upto the cops wht to do in this case.
I came out of the police station and the scorpio guy was screaming behind me that, 'Go to support Anna Hazaare' you seem like him etc etc.
Me & my friend came back to office after meeting & shaking hands with Mr. Ramdas.
So guys tell me did I do something worng here? Do you guys think that, I shouldn't have followed this guy & forced him to showup at police station. Did I do the correct thing by not filing the complaint?? The guys told me that, he will see me
I think you did the correct thing. But on a second thought, I feel if a guy on a scorpio(or for that matter any big vehicle) is on a hitting spree, you should think twice before trying to block him. His action seems to indicate that he was willing to do anything to escape from there. Just my point of view

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks