Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:03   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
....and then gesturing to their left, indicating that there is more than enough space for an overtaking maneuver.

.....two-wheeler onto the extreme wrong side of the road until the vehicle passes, at which point, they switch to the correct side?!
You can see such morons on highways too. They are confusion creators as well as accident initiators.
They are all guys fit enough to pedal only bicycles, graduated to mobikes. The day is not far when you will come across herds of cars following this wretched style. I have come across many such motorists even now.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:16   #2747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Amazing. I wonder if it ever occurred to the guys at the front, but on the wrong side, that their behaviour was the reason they could not go anywhere?
Well, if it had occurred to them, I don't think they would repeat it every single day. I have friends who commute regularly to parts of the city that requires them to ride/drive through railway crossings. They tell me that every single day, they see the same cabbie, driving the same, well err, cab, on the same route, and doing the same thing, and getting stuck the same way, every single day.

I guess that's why they remain cabbies, and don't really go anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
You can see such morons on highways too. They are confusion creators as well as accident initiators.
They are all guys fit enough to pedal only bicycles, graduated to mobikes. The day is not far when you will come across herds of cars following this wretched style. I have come across many such motorists even now.
And when such people do such idiotic things on the road, they might come in the way of a car that's completely obeying traffic rules and driving culture and meet with an accident. And the car gets the pointy finger every time, by the public, by the police, and sometimes, even by the courts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2011 at 23:19.
Old 4th September 2011, 07:30   #2748
BHPian

A bad driver:
1. Would rather stick his neck backwards than use the rear view mirror
2. Overtake another vehicle on the outside line at a blind turn
3. Brakes more often than accelerating or just easing on the pedal
4. Usually revs on a single gear rather than changing the gears, then blames fuel costs
5. Takes the entire width of the road to overtake another vehicle
6. Stop wherever he feels like on the road
7. Stops for a break every half an hour on a long drive
8. Ruins the car with all stupid stickers, glitzy wheel caps and fake air inlets on d hood
9. Usually is a Paan/Gutka Chewer and/or a Smoker even while driving
Old 4th September 2011, 07:57   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
These days I witness a traffic gridlock near carmelaram railway crossing.
Agreed this is one place where we always have log jam. Another place on the same road is just before Krupanidhi college there is a narrow road with steep falls on both sides, only these days it has been baricated on the sides. We have seen multiple times folks try and overtake by consistently honking on this stretch. Which is dangerous and suicidal.

For non bangalore members this road is about 10 feet wide with falls on both sides and the stretch is about 1/2 Kms long.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:18   #2750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
A bad driver:
8. Ruins the car with all stupid stickers, glitzy wheel caps and fake air inlets on d hood
Err. Sorry, but not very sure if these would qualify as the traits of a bad driver. Atleast not always. By the way I was planning to order the T-Bhp stickers, is that included in point 8? Would I be tagged a bad driver?

No offense meant (Honestly), but would not wholeheartedly agree with the above 3 points.
Statement is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:25   #2751
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Err. Sorry, but not very sure if these would qualify as the traits of a bad driver. Atleast not always. By the way I was planning to order the T-Bhp stickers, is that included in point 8? Would I be tagged a bad driver?

No offense meant (Honestly), but would not wholeheartedly agree with the above 3 points.
wholeheartedly!

What does smoking have to do with driving badly?

Stopping every half hour while on a long drive indicates that the driver is, in all probability, not used to driving long distances.

And stickers too? The guy probably has really really bad tastes. He might plaster his car all over, but he might still be a good driver. One never knows.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th September 2011 at 15:36.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:35   #2752
Distinguished - BHPian

Regular stops is a good idea. It is good for youth to realise that attention may not be equal for stamina, and for age to recognise our limits. I don't like to drive for more than 1.5 hours without a tea break. Of course, if the person stops in the middle of the road... !

Bad drivers: take offence at the fact that you are in front of them. Whether it is left, right, over or underneath, they will get past, because it is their absolute right to be in front, even in a slow-moving queue of traffic. Often goes with a yellow plate. How these people can live with so much tension every day of their life I do not know!
Old 5th September 2011, 16:27   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I guess that's why they remain cabbies, and don't really go anywhere else.

I definitely understand your feeling regarding the way in which some cab drivers drive . But I believe your statement was quite strong and should not have been made . ' Cabbies ' , they are part of our society and economy and i definitely know that many of them are highly educated as well .
Commenting on ones ability depending on their job is quite rude.

Quote:
A bad driver:
Na I dont agree .
Sometimes sticking your head out and looking behind or even turning behind to see through the rear glass is very well practised by many . Trust me and they are really good and disciplined on the road . I learnt driving in a Mahindra jeep which dint have a rear view mirror and so I had to get used to look behind than use the rear view mirror .
Taking breaks is always acknowledged to be good than driving in a stretch .
Stickers , wheel caps , fake air inlets etc are just personal choices on the way they need to decorate the car or the way they want it to look upmarket in their senses .
Only drunken driving is prohibited and a bad practise , dont think tobacco chewing or smoking while driving attributes to bad driver
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 16:46   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bad drivers: take offence at the fact that you are in front of them. Whether it is left, right, over or underneath, they will get past, because it is their absolute right to be in front, even in a slow-moving queue of traffic. Often goes with a yellow plate. How these people can live with so much tension every day of their life I do not know!
Ditto bro! And imagine the agony .

Also the way some drivers, even when they are suppose to stop just a couple of meters ahead, will overtake you, cut across and stop. I just can't understand why they can't just tag behind for a couple of seconds and stop comfortably.
Old 5th September 2011, 17:01   #2755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
I definitely understand your feeling regarding the way in which some cab drivers drive . But I believe your statement was quite strong and should not have been made . ' Cabbies ' , they are part of our society and economy and i definitely know that many of them are highly educated as well .
Commenting on ones ability depending on their job is quite rude.
I'm sorry! I did not intend my statement to sound defaming. The word 'cabbies' was used, not to make or poke fun at them. It was just made in reference to cab-drivers. I wasn't looking to comment on his ability.

All I said was, if that's the attitude they have, they won't progress in life. If they mend their ways and fall in line, it will be better, not only for them, but for other road users too!
Old 9th September 2011, 12:01   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
A bad driver:

I do not agree with you on above mentioned points. Sometimes its necessary( Not always) to quickly stick your neck backwards and check as some vehicle might be in the blind spot of the RVM particularly when changing lanes.
Similarly, chewing paan/ gutkha or smoking while driving does not necessarily make the driver a bad one.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:41   #2757
BHPian

Really pissed off with these van(Omni mostly) drivers who drop and pick up children from school.

Reason 1: They drive very rash even in small congested residential roads. And that too early in the morning between 7 AM to 9 AM. Most of us would appreciate a pleasant morning and these guys are hell-bent on making it otherwise. They keep honking while driving (not while waiting though). People who want to buy milk or newspapers during morning have a harrowing time. They are a nightmare to other drivers as well, gunning their Omni's like Ferraris

Reason 2: They are oblivious to the presence of small kids in the van. If, God forbid, anything happens, the tiny tots will have to suffer for the driver's carelessness. Not to mention, kids are stuffed like chickens in those vehicles.

I was about to hit a van today. I was on main road and he was coming from a side road doing around 40kmph. Generally, we expect people to honk, wait and then get into main road. So when turned at that speed, I thought he might hit me. Thankfully, there were no vehicles on main road and I went to extreme right to avoid a collision.

Is there any place I can complain so that these drivers are taught a lesson? There around 20-30 guys whom I encounter daily
Old 11th September 2011, 20:54   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I was on my way to Thrissur and this happened after the flyover near Potta Jn and before Appolo Tyres. I was on the right lane with a taxi Vista infront of me. There were a few cars behind us, but maybe 50m behind. We were coming off the flyover, both of us were doing about 80kmph. There was a scooter on the right lane, going slow. Taxi guy honked, no response. Both of us slowed down to maybe about 60, taxi guy honked again - no response. So he moved to the left of the scooter guy, slowed further, opened his window and said something to the people on the scooter and then he sped away. I had followed the Vista to the left lane and had just started to pick up speed again and pass the scooter, when, all of a sudden the scooter guy veered to the left straight into me on course to hit my right front door. I had no time to brake. I veered further left, honked and prayed. Somehow, I was able to get past the scooter in time, the scooter guy wasn't hit and did not fall and thankfully no one else was close enough. Then I looked in the rear view mirror and saw that the scooter guy was a girl! And there were 3 people on the scooter!
Old 12th September 2011, 02:31   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

The first picture depicts the scene as soon as the railway gate is closed and the second picture depicts the scene just before the gate opens. One can imagine the situation after the gates are opened.

A similar scene in my area aswell. Generally, what I have observed is, Bikers and Auto Rickshaws are the ones who overtake you and go ahead to stand near the gate. Once the gates are open, its utter chaos
Old 12th September 2011, 16:06   #2760
BHPian

@mods. Hope this is the right thread to share my experience about Bad Drivers. If not, kindly move to the proper thread.

Yesterday, when I was returning from Erode to Chennai, I waited at the Thoppur Toll Gate around 5:30pm. All gates were fairly crowded and suddenly, a Santro zipped in and tried to intersect between a car and lorry in my neighboring gate line. The lorry driver graciously allowed this Santro guy to join. I started wondering how come people dont have patience to wait in the queue.

After paying the toll I moved and noticed this Santro guy ahead of me. There was a lady in the back seat and a kid standing in the middle of the front-row seats. As I have to reach the Rathinagiri Temple (near Vellore) before 8pm, I pressed hard and was going at 110. I overtook the Santro, and looks like, this guy seem to have got **ssed off seeing an Alto overtaking him. Quickly he was trailing me and over took me dangerously at one curve. Sensing a not-good-attitude in him, I decided to get rid of him by overtaking him and move ahead. I did not wanted to slow down, as each and every minute I slow, will narrow my chances to reach Rathnagiri on time.

Things were not right for next 10 mins. Whenever I tried to overtake him, he blocked the way. Luckily in a 3 lane bridge, I overtook him using the free left-most lane, while he was in the right lane. Looks like I scratched his ego again. He tried to overtake me in all wrong ways & speed. I was really frustrated at this guy's attitude. With a little kid and his wife in car, this guy is taking up all sort of silly risks.

Soon, my intuition told me that something is not right. I was in the middle of what looked like a convoy of trucks and mini-lorries. So I pushed my Alto to overtake the container truck which was ahead of me, and then let this Santro guy to overtake me with all his pride and glory.

This was situation when I decided to overtake the truck
Name:  car1.png
Views: 556
Size:  12.6 KB

I was closing in to overtake. It was a tight spot. But then, suddenly out-of-nowhere, this guy pushed his Santro, did a dangerous cut-in and tried to plug into the space between my alto and the lorry.

Name:  car.png
Views: 736
Size:  23.6 KB

SCREEEEEEECCHHHHH!!!! I applied the brakes to avoid collision and managed it successfully. This guy overtook me and went ahead. I was literally furious.I picked up the pace, went alongside, rolled my windows down and this guy started shouting at me. I became even more furious. But controlled myself. Then I shouted "Boss, is this the way you drive with a family in? you have a kid and wife at back. Dont you have any common sense? You know what an accident is and you know it pains to lose lives??"

The guy shouted back in vulgar words. I got furious and about to call the Highway Patrol for assistance to book a case. But his wife sensed the trouble and made him slow down the car.

Thank god! I did not see him again till I reached Vellore. I think this is one example, where educated guys behaving like idiots, risking everyone's life during driving. He did not have the courtesy to wait and join the queue. He did not have the generosity to let his ego go, when overtaken by Alto. He did not bother about the risks involved when cutting-in at tight spots. To sum up - He is a BAD Driver.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 12th September 2011 at 16:08.

Most Viewed