Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 16:14   #2761
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Spar at Banjara Hills Road #1.

This was parked in the access path to the parking slots.
Thanks to this IDIOT, a couple of empty slots had become unusable.

The IDIOT ignored available slots and just parked it here.

The security chap had gone out for less than 5 mins. In that time this guy came and parked his vehicle.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-spar-1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-spar-2.jpg
Old 12th September 2011, 16:59   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
@mods. Hope this is the right thread to share my experience about Bad Drivers. If not, kindly move to the proper thread.

Yesterday, when I was returning from Erode to Chennai, I waited at the Thoppur Toll Gate around 5:30pm. All gates were fairly crowded and suddenly, a Santro zipped in and tried to intersect between a car and lorry in my neighboring gate line. The lorry driver graciously allowed this Santro guy to join. I started wondering how come people dont have patience to wait in the queue.....................
Hi Rajesh,
Yes, we do have such morons all over the country!
Recently, I had been to Chikmaglur and came across quite a few similar samples on the way.
1. A Innova with a kid trying to overtake me on a blind turn on a 2 lane road. Fortunately, I could see the KSRTC bus coming the opposite way and waved frantically at the car behind to slow down! Gave way at the next opportune moment. Bugger didnt care to say a word of gratitude! Had a kid in the 2nd row.
2.5 kids.1 i10. White + Loads of Bling + FFE??? lots of sound.
All show no go. Tries some dangerous maneuvers. I let the kid in. Tries to overtake the the KSRTC bus in front of me. Was stuck to the tail of the bus almost all the way. As I said, all show no go.
3. WagonR. Uncle with family. Tries to overtake in a 2 lane road with a ST bus coming down the opposite lane. Finally, tries to push me! Gave him some educative hand gestures (nothing foul ).

However, all said, no use of losing cool on the highways. As they say, there are idiots on the road. Let them drive like morons. Why should we spoil our day because of these garbage trucks?
Next time you meet such a guy on the road, Smile to show all your pearls and wave. The shocked look is TO-DIE-FOR.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 18:35   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was closing in to overtake. It was a tight spot. But then, suddenly out-of-nowhere, this guy pushed his Santro, did a dangerous cut-in and tried to plug into the space between my alto and the lorry.
Met a similar bad driver on the highway two days back - although I wasn't the one who got squeezed. A Vento in front of me was just about to overtake a truck when an Innova (who had just overtaken me) tried to cut-in ahead of the Vento pushing the Vento guy to the divider. Vento guy caught up with the Innova and when they were having their argument, I quietly slipped by

But then, the Innova guy was stung and was driving like his tail was on fire. I was by then on the left lane (I saw him coming), doing about 50kmph when he tried to overtake an auto guy who was on the right lane. Needless to say, the auto guy did not budge - so the Innova was back in the left lane - honking at me!! I decided to have a bit of fun and drove in sync with the auto guy for about half a km before I slowed down further to allow the Innova guy to overtake me.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:39   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
@mods. Hope this is the right thread to share my experience about Bad Drivers. If not, kindly move to the proper thread.

Yesterday, when I was returning from Erode to Chennai, I waited at the Thoppur Toll Gate around 5:30pm. All gates were fairly crowded and suddenly, a Santro zipped in and tried to intersect between a car and lorry in my neighboring gate line. The lorry driver graciously allowed this Santro guy to join. I started wondering how come people dont have patience to wait in the queue.

Soon, my intuition told me that something is not right. I was in the middle of what looked like a convoy of trucks and mini-lorries. So I pushed my Alto to overtake the container truck which was ahead of me, and then let this Santro guy to overtake me with all his pride and glory.

I was closing in to overtake. It was a tight spot. But then, suddenly out-of-nowhere, this guy pushed his Santro, did a dangerous cut-in and tried to plug into the space between my alto and the lorry.

Attachment 608310

SCREEEEEEECCHHHHH!!!! I applied the brakes to avoid collision and managed it successfully. This guy overtook me and went ahead. I was literally furious.I picked up the pace, went alongside, rolled my windows down and this guy started shouting at me. I became even more furious. But controlled myself. Then I shouted "Boss, is this the way you drive with a family in? you have a kid and wife at back. Dont you have any common sense? You know what an accident is and you know it pains to lose lives??"

The guy shouted back in vulgar words. I got furious and about to call the Highway Patrol for assistance to book a case. But his wife sensed the trouble and made him slow down the car.

Thank god! I did not see him again till I reached Vellore. I think this is one example, where educated guys behaving like idiots, risking everyone's life during driving. He did not have the courtesy to wait and join the queue. He did not have the generosity to let his ego go, when overtaken by Alto. He did not bother about the risks involved when cutting-in at tight spots. To sum up - He is a BAD Driver.
Hi Rajesh

Do not worry have seen so many such morons on the chennai -blr GQ that i have lost count. To state a small example a Indica guy was trying to overtake me (was in my swift) and in front of there was a innova doing a good speed (must have been at 100) near the 2nd toll gate from Chennai and i was at the same speed (with a safe distance) and this guy wanted to cut both in a single swoop and he rear ended a truck which was just getting out of a petrol bunk. We stopped and checked out the truck driver was totally kindness personified and the Indica had a badly dented Left side bonnet-up for scrap and none to blame and was fighting with the trucker(must say he was lucky to escape)

never lose your cool and focus whilst driving is what i have learnt from my mentor and it is really worth
Old 12th September 2011, 18:54   #2765
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajeshsundaram- While I agree, as others here have, that the other driver was a moron, you need to take a deep breath and allow such morons to get ahead of you simply because they act as catalysts for similar moronic behaviour in other drivers as well. Am glad that you were safe at the end of it.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:08   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I shouted "Boss, is this the way you drive with a family in? you have a kid and wife at back. Dont you have any common sense? You know what an accident is and you know it pains to lose lives??"
What that guy lacks is 'driving sense'. Because, there is no such thing as 'common sense', common sense cannot be defined. Hence difficult to educate people. Driving sense can be taught definitely.
BTW, good that you maintained you cool. Queue jumpers are in plenty in this country.
Old 12th September 2011, 20:55   #2767
Senior - BHPian

almost got hit on my left side by this moron this morning on my way to work!

Name:  _MG_1852.JPG
Views: 796
Size:  106.2 KB

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_1855.jpg

after EGL (on the IRR) i was on the road curving left, on the rightmost lane. two feet from me is an Alto in the middle lane. as we're proceeding on the road all of a sudden i something coming up fast on my left side (peripheral vision). within seconds this guy comes alongside me and almost breaks my left ORVM. i had to swerve right to avoid this guy smashing into my left flank! he was trying to make a hole between the Alto and me!!

after the initial shock, i move to the middle lane and i see this guy switch to the rightmost lane in a jiffy, almost as if he had yanked the steering to the right! i see him keep to the right lane (me thinks he has to take a u-turn), but then he switches back to the middle lane and when he reaches the spot where the u-turn is allowed, quickly turns his car around - right in front of the oncoming traffic from Ejipura side!!

since i was already running late i just proceeded ahead, but there was burning smell inside my car - i was fuming!
Old 12th September 2011, 22:28   #2768
BHPian

As long as there's no contact between the cars, I say that the drivers are relatively good drivers (note the use of the word "relative"). In Hyderabad, I see bad drivers in the Koti and Banjara Hills areas. I usually get my side mirrors hit and the sides scraped by other vehicles. I am constantly on the vigil and blow my horn and that does sometimes prevent accidents. After an accident, the drivers never admit that they were at fault and always want to pin it on somebody else. Stopping to have an argument with them is never fruitful and they will continue to drive as they do till they meet their end so if they drive away, I just go my way without creating a scene and without losing my cool.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:39   #2769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I think this is one example, where educated guys behaving like idiots, risking everyone's life during driving. He did not have the courtesy to wait and join the queue. He did not have the generosity to let his ego go, when overtaken by Alto. He did not bother about the risks involved when cutting-in at tight spots. To sum up - He is a BAD Driver.
I can empathize with you. I've been in a similar situation, which I've explained in this same thread
Old 13th September 2011, 04:51   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

It is hard sometimes, but the thing to remember about the sort of drivers that have been mentioned in some of the recent posts is that it is a lot safer for us to have them speeding away in front of us than behind or alongside us.

Still, I am reluctant to get out of the way for someone when there is solid traffic ahead anyway.

Had a tailgater on the ECR a couple of evenings ago. I always make a point of indicating for my right turn in good time, so people behind me can move to the left. I was so tempted to stop this guy, by not indicating until I stopped for the turn --- but then I would have been the bad driver too.
Old 13th September 2011, 09:18   #2771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
almost got hit on my left side by this moron this morning on my way to work!

Attachment 608502

Attachment 608503

after EGL (on the IRR) i was on the road curving left, on the rightmost lane. two feet from me is an Alto in the middle lane. as we're proceeding on the road all of a sudden i something coming up fast on my left side (peripheral vision). within seconds this guy comes alongside me and almost breaks my left ORVM. i had to swerve right to avoid this guy smashing into my left flank! he was trying to make a hole between the Alto and me!!

after the initial shock, i move to the middle lane and i see this guy switch to the rightmost lane in a jiffy, almost as if he had yanked the steering to the right! i see him keep to the right lane (me thinks he has to take a u-turn), but then he switches back to the middle lane and when he reaches the spot where the u-turn is allowed, quickly turns his car around - right in front of the oncoming traffic from Ejipura side!!

since i was already running late i just proceeded ahead, but there was burning smell inside my car - i was fuming!
Some people think they own the road.

I think I've seen this guy drive, and I've had a close call with him once, somewhere in Domlur. I recognize the AP registration. It was a maroon Indica! I remember I was on Old Airport Road approaching the Flyover. There is a left-exit-ramp that takes you straight onto 100 Ft Road, Indiranagar. I was preparing to take a left into the exit and was probably 50 meters away from the turn, when this guy overtook me from the left and cut me off and went straight while I took the turn!
Old 13th September 2011, 12:57   #2772
BHPian

Anil,

I can understand the frustration, same thing happened to me this morning on the service-lane in Marathahalli just before Staples.

Since the ORR was packed, the staples junction was bundled with vehicles moving in all direction. I was waiting patiently to take a right from the service lane to join the ORR chaos and see a Dezire stopped behind me.

When the junction sort-of cleared-up, I see the Dezire stopped beside me menacingly close to my car and just about to hit my right ORVM. He is blocking the oncoming traffic when I knock on his window (could have easily got into his car, such was the non-existing distance) and ask him what he was doing.

The middle-age guy says he wants to go right, and I wondered if he was blind to my indicator. While the guys in front I told him to reverse, I politely told him to do whatever he wants without harming me and others. I was expecting him and his front-seat passenger to raise voice but surprisingly he obliged and moved on, while the guys in front made way. As usual he was stuck behind a parked truck on the ORR and had to wait to move to the center lane. (ok one of the 4-5 streams of traffic).

And a wonder-kid in his brand-new i10/ Figo, thought it was better to take the service-lane beyond staples, and broke his front bumper while trying to join the ORR. Fortunately the 2-wheelers taking that non-existing road, helped push his car in reverse and his face reflected the confused and startled mind.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:11   #2773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post

And a wonder-kid in his brand-new i10/ Figo, thought it was better to take the service-lane beyond staples, and broke his front bumper while trying to join the ORR. Fortunately the 2-wheelers taking that non-existing road, helped push his car in reverse and his face reflected the confused and startled mind.
Something very similar happened a couple of years back to a guy who tried to overtake me from the left.

There was a gap between the road and the pavement. He took a bad underbody hit.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:53   #2774
BHPian

Couple of days back some idiot scratched by ANHC bumper on left side just below petrol filling cap. All this happened when I had parked in a mall parking and when I came back I was furious to see it. Though not large but there are 3-4 deep scratches and the bumper slightly misaligned.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:57   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Some people think they own the road.
Typical Indian mindset! You say some? I say MOST! You'd rarely, VERY rarely find someone acknowledging a mistake or acknowledging another mortals presence or right of way and yield.

Be it the lesser educated souls or the highly literate ones! Remember the Justice Saldanha case? (cutting the red n white road dividing strip with a pair of scissors to take a U turn? and then standing by his actions saying he was right in doing so?)

Here is the link for the benefit of others ==> http://www.coastaldigest.com/index.p...26999&Itemid=1

Last edited by Shubz : 13th September 2011 at 19:02.
Shubz is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks