Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 11:55   #271
Senior - BHPian

You gotta give driving in Hyderabad a try---I am sure you will find Kerala a safe haven.
Old 30th July 2007, 12:48   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You gotta give driving in Hyderabad a try---I am sure you will find Kerala a safe haven.
i actually loved driving in hyderabad (i live in b'lore)

the roads were excellent and there is no traffic sense at all. so i had total freedom to do whatever i wanted. i also liked the signal system in hyderabad.
red light doesnt mean stop. red light means - you may go if you wish.

and the traffic still moves a hundred times faster than in b'lore, where cops have blackberries to note down your number if you break a rule.
what's the use of a blackberry? anyone who runs away from a cop in b'lore wont get more than 50m before he's stuck in another jam.
god i hate traffic
Old 30th July 2007, 13:17   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
If you dis-regard the style of driving which is atypical of hyderabadis, it is pure bliss driving in Hyderabad when compared other metros say, Bangalore, mumbai, delhi etc. Traffic is much lesser in Hyd than those cities, it just to awful.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:08   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
One more way of finding out BAD drivers which i hate is that these guys keep honking behind SCHOOL VANS, which pick up kids early in the morning. Don't they care abt the KIDS? What if your OWN kid is going to be in the same van.

For that matter, the UGLIEST NUISANCE i find is SPITTING on the roads from the vehicles, I hate those morons. Spitting may include many forms and they dont care as to who is behind, either a two wheelers or a car fellow with windows open or closed, but its SICK. Worst is even the educated addicted guys do it regularly. Laborers spitting from BUSES is a common sight on airport road.

I HATE SPITTERS
I hate them Too!! ask me, Ive experienced a nice Gutka shower, next to our dear B.E.S.T in my convertible, and so have most of the people with convertibles. I ensure and stay away from them! but that breed wont change
and with smoking getting prohibited, more people will shift to chewing tobacco.
And now about BAD Drivers, Im one Too! In India I try not to follow rules very strictly, lest Im left behind, and somebody comes and Bangs into me!
Its abs important that the Rules for issue of driving Licenses are strictly Adhered to. Hi Time.
Most of the members on this forum who have driven for atleast 5 years would have Automatically learnt the Nack of Spotting bad drivers!!
Old 30th July 2007, 15:04   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you dis-regard the style of driving which is atypical of hyderabadis, it is pure bliss driving in Hyderabad when compared other metros say, Bangalore, mumbai, delhi etc. Traffic is much lesser in Hyd than those cities, it just to awful.
Bangalore, I agree, as it is too congested and roads too narrow. Mumbai,I don't really know. But Delhi was always good---at least better than Hyd.

As regards 'Hyderabadi style' of driving, this is what puts me off. Even today, at Jubilee Hills check-post, while I was advancing towards Hi-Tech city as the lights turned green, I was forced to wait for at least 30 secs as vehicles from the previous signal road continued to ply, regardless of the red light. Then when I was about to reach the junction, an auto whizzed by, torally unabashed by his act. Had we not jammed our brakes, he would have been toppled by any of our cars.
Old 30th July 2007, 20:35   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
But Amitoj if you go back 20 years, there was no concept of door mirror except for the trucks and jeeps. Trucks, because they can't see right behind and jeeps because of their canvas back.

Those who started driving those days (including me) can drive without side mirrors. No, you don't have to twist neck or head for that.

I sound pretty outdated for sure. At least according to N_C.
this is a really bad habit, what do you use to check if its safe to change lanes. This is a what i do and pretty much everybody else in the US(where i live). Ready to switch lanes you signal, look in side mirrors and check your blindspot by turning your neck.
Old 31st July 2007, 10:50   #277
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore is as bad as any other city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
Maverick, I completely agree with you. I am not professing to be a bad driver. Only that I am TOTALLY SICK AND TIRED of the driving scene here in Cochin.

I haven't visited outside Kerala recently. Are other places as bad? I often read about the "Nightmarish driving in Kerala" here at TBHP, so I get a feeling that we ARE the worst. The only thing you can comfortably drive here is a T-90 tank. A TATA Tipper truck is the next best.

Frankly, the only people who have any driving sense are those who drove abroad. The rules education/tests here starts and ends at showing the hand signals. Where are the rule for Lane discipline? Blind spots? Right of way? How can people be expected to be good drivers when there are no rules, and even if they did, there is no education.

The ONLY WAY to solve this mess is to EXPIRE ALL LICENSES right now and re-issue them after establishing proper rules and testing for them. Can that be done? Nope.
and this is the same in every indian city. Unless the city traffic police exercise stricter rules and punishments the so called rules will always be broken. Apart from that every soul on the road should be responsible because a slight ignorance on an individual's part might risk somebody else's life which is totally uncalled for. I wish people use their better judgement and value others lives precious just as they value theirs.

Well regarding getting the licenses everything is on sale and anyone can get it..its such a pity that individuals like us cannot change a thing to fight the system...a sorry and sad state of affairs in india.
cheers
Old 1st August 2007, 16:17   #278
BHPian

Now seat belt is made mandatory in Kerala. Another point for policemen to make money!!

I always wear it. It actually adds to the confidence when I drive. Hows things in other cities?
Old 1st August 2007, 17:36   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
Now seat belt is made mandatory in Kerala. Another point for policemen to make money!!

I always wear it. It actually adds to the confidence when I drive. Hows things in other cities?
Irrespective of the rule, it is to our own safety to 'always' wear the seatbelts. Rules come and go
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:50   #280
BHPian

I personally don't think you should enforce only availability and quality/serviceability of the belts. No need to enforce usage, because it is a safety hazard to oneself, not to others. Safety of oneself is their own business.

Instead the resources should be put to enforcing rules that deals with safety of others, like lane discipline, yielding, stop/stoplight etc.

And I would like to know how is the usage/enforcement in other states.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:14   #281
BHPian

Wow! Lovely thread!

Ever been confronted with morons plying the streets of a well populated city area on main beam? God! They don't even understand what dipper is there for..

On a highway.. Those tractors and bullock carts without any form of illumination on their rear end... You just miss them sometimes - especially if there is a vehicle coming from the other end which is not responding to your frantic requests of lowering the beam..
Old 6th August 2007, 13:04   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Ever been confronted with morons plying the streets of a well populated city area on main beam? God! They don't even understand what dipper is there for..
Look no further. All Sumos which run as cabs in Bangalore belong to this tribe.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:24   #283
Senior - BHPian

I think morons are there in all the segments, its not just the "yellow boards"

I see so many swanky cars using Hi beam in city, i hate the once who is on hi beam while turning. they dont get that the vehicles coming from opposite wont be able to see the indicator with the hi beam starrring at tthem.

It might be trucks, buses, autos, cabs, bikes or some luxurious car... it all depends on people who drive/ride.

People lack "Common sense"
Old 6th August 2007, 15:28   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
People lack "Common sense"

Question here is Are they PEOPLE ?

HIgh Beams and Horns are becoming a HAZARD in BLR, and taking rains into consideration, its not worth the risk.

My advise is in Rains, PLEASE do not exceed 40 or it might not worth your drive

Ram P
Old 6th August 2007, 15:29   #285
BHPian

Yep! Agreed! Everyone does it... private cars, taxis, just about anyone...

Someone wisely said... Common sense is not very common!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks