Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 23:44   #2941
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
There is a bike, rider without a helmet,
I saw a rider in Hyderabad today. He was on a silver Enfield.

Wearing a cricket batsman helmet. With the face protection grill and all that.
Old 12th October 2011, 00:11   #2942
BHPian

noopster
hi
i have seen a lot of policemen coming the wrong way so doubt it would be of any use.
between bombay and bharuch you see umpteen trucks not to mention motorcycles cars etc coming the wrong way.
To add salt to the wound they have the arrogant look of i dont care and do what you want to do.This is my right of way
rgds
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 00:15   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I saw a rider in Hyderabad today. He was on a silver Enfield.

Wearing a cricket batsman helmet. With the face protection grill and all that.
May be he was expecting a bouncer! On a serious note - there are a zillion types of helmets now. Most of them so unsafe/un-strapped/non-standard. Just to satisfy the "Helmet rule"
Old 13th October 2011, 10:37   #2944
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got some evidence of the mayhem caused by wrong-side drivers.

This is on the village road connecting Wakad underpass and Hinjewadi Phase 2 (popularly called the Mezza 9 route). It is a two-way road but of course our resident Hamiltons just *have* to occupy both lanes in a mad rush to get there first!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddriver3.jpg

Seeing the bus bearing down, the Ritz and Swift on my right squeeze me in. Since I have no intention of holding up the traffic more, I oblige, going onto the bad patch on extreme left of the road so that these idiots can get back in lane.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddriver2.jpg

The guy in the copper Swift saw me shoot the pic with my Blackberry and snarled at me. So much for gratitude

Once the bus is past, to my astonishment, he just zooms back into the extreme right of the road and races ahead of everyone else. See the yellow arrow in the pic below? That's where he is.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddriver1.jpg

And the cops at the junction don't do a thing!

Last edited by noopster : 13th October 2011 at 10:41.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 13:50   #2945
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Once the bus is past, to my astonishment, he just zooms back into the extreme right of the road and races ahead of everyone else. See the yellow arrow in the pic below? That's where he is.

Attachment 826181

See, who is the Bad driver here?
You are the bad driver sir.
Buy letting those guys get in You are encouraging them
In the end they get to your destination.
And you....? You are holding up hundreds of cars behind you to allow one bad driver in.
I would never let a bad driver get in like this if I have it in my power.
This will teach them a lesson.

This way I do not block others behind me, who are in the correct lane, and have their right to go forth.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 14:11   #2946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
And you....? You are holding up hundreds of cars behind you to allow one bad driver in.

This way I do not block others behind me, who are in the correct lane, and have their right to go forth.
Even I do the same. If someone is trying to squeeze in, I would go around in such way that at least the person behind me can come in and do not let the other guy in. But sometimes these guys get stuck in such a way that if you do not let them go, they would hold up even the oncoming traffic.

But of late, I observed that thinking about all this stresses me out during the drive, so I kind of become like a horse, keep to my lane as much as possible and not to worry about anything else.

I observed another thing today, for some reason if I find a reasonable gap, I will merge properly with signals and all and there are certain people who accelerate at slightest hint of intention and make life hell. I encountered one such alto guy who accelerated looking at me trying to merge in his lane and in the process almost knocked off a bike, I just let him be and pulled back to my lane!
Old 13th October 2011, 14:35   #2947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got some evidence of the mayhem caused by wrong-side drivers.

So Noop you are finally able to catch them on camera. Frankly i don't know what the cops can do. On that stretch it is not even possible to ask the drivers to take a U Turn and go back. If they start imposing fines it would create huge jams because the vehicles would be standing in the middle of the road haggling with the cops. I am in no way defending the cops but i don't really know the solution.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Even I do the same. If someone is trying to squeeze in, I would go around in such way that at least the person behind me can come in and do not let the other guy in.

But of late, I observed that thinking about all this stresses me out during the drive, so I kind of become like a horse, keep to my lane as much as possible and not to worry about anything else.
I used to do this earlier. Never allow cars to get in from the wrong side. But i am tired of it now. It is too stressful and high BP inducing. Sometimes i used to fear that my name would be in the papers as an example of road rage. So i have taken the easy way out. Leave at 8 PM from office to avoid the jam.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 15:48   #2948
Senior - BHPian

@tsk, while I agree with you and also used to do the same earlier, it is too much of a stress, like others mentioned. Also, one main difference is that you drive a truck, while we have to be careful that these idiots don't ram into our delicate cars (either knowingly or otherwise).
Old 13th October 2011, 16:54   #2949
Senior - BHPian

To all those planning on increasing your patience levels - start driving in Hinjewadi. I am serious. Its heped me a lot! Like @anilisanil said, it just stresses you out. These morons have no effect whatsoever.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:30   #2950
Senior - BHPian

I became a tolerable driver to the bad drivers. They are bad try to take your lane. We are good drivers, we need safety to our passengers in our car. Better not to challenge and make our BP high and make our passenger tensed.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:42   #2951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Finally got some evidence of the mayhem caused by wrong-side drivers...

...And the cops at the junction don't do a thing!

By letting him squeeze into the lane, Noopster is just being a defensive driver. I don't think you can classify him as a bad driver for that move! Also, holding your lane and preventing him from coming back into the correct lane is gratifying, especially when you see him getting stuck in the path of on-coming traffic. You're actually smiling at his misery, and you know that he is a bad driver and deserves it.

But this move would cause others inconvenience too, especially the people on the other side of the road. Imagine watching a two tonne Sumo driving straight at you! it's never a pleasant experience.

Now, those who try and overtake me from the right, and intentionally get into the path of on-coming traffic, are in the wrong. And I don't give them way. I always ensure that they get stuck in the wrong lane. I loved doing this. But I realized something..

Trying to correct these idiots, is only going to infuriate them even further. Let bygones be bygones, and let's get to our destinations in peace. Let us not have a battle of egos. I'm trying my level best to follow this principle. I've realized that you reach your destination, 2 minutes or maybe 5 minutes later, or even 10 minutes later, but calmer and more relaxed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th October 2011 at 19:47.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 19:55   #2952
BHPian

It is actually very easy to control this menace if we have a good traffic video camera system in place. you dont have to stop that guy on road when he commits the mistake. Just note his regn number from his video, find his address from RTO and send a huge fine by post with evidence photo. This is done easily in west. If he pays huge fine a few times, he will know what he is doing. :-) But, the question is, how effectively this can be used by our traffic cops..
Old 13th October 2011, 23:22   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Trying to correct these idiots, is only going to infuriate them even further. Let bygones be bygones, and let's get to our destinations in peace. Let us not have a battle of egos. I'm trying my level best to follow this principle. I've realized that you reach your destination, 2 minutes or maybe 5 minutes later, or even 10 minutes later, but calmer and more relaxed.
+100 to that. I have even challenged a friend, who drives a Swift that we both will drive at the same time on the same route. He is a rash driver to put it mildly - accelarates like a wild cat and uses brakes all the time. Has a blaring horn. We did a 25 - 30 Km circuit in Pune. At the end, he reached 5 minutes before I did, with me driving sedately, following rules and being relaxed. At the end of the drive I realized I was not even sweating but he was.

Our average drive in the city is 30 kms (approx.)
Simple Math - Driving 30 kms at 40kmph - 45 mins at 60 kmph - 30 mins. at 80 kmph - 23 mins.

To maintain an average speed of 40 kmph you will have to drive above 40 almost all the time so on and so forth.

If you add the time spent at signals, the time for all speeds is within 3-4 mins.

Drive safe. Enjoy the drive - We are stressed at work and at home (some of us) at least enjoy the peace that you get when you are alone in the car...
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 00:23   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
It is actually very easy to control this menace if we have a good traffic video camera system in place. you dont have to stop that guy on road when he commits the mistake. Just note his regn number from his video, find his address from RTO and send a huge fine by post with evidence photo. This is done easily in west. If he pays huge fine a few times, he will know what he is doing. :-) But, the question is, how effectively this can be used by our traffic cops..
hi
Fine for a minor offence is rs100 and that too when you are caught and cant talk/bribe your way.If,say,it was rs.2000 then how many people will dare to break the signal or overtake from left etc.
currently drunk driving penalty is rs2000 for the first timer.Not many people drive when drunk because 2000 is a hefty fine. Or not having PUC the fine is 1000.Everybody makes it a point to have one.Unfortunately the drive of enforcing this is on the wane.
rgds
Old 14th October 2011, 03:36   #2955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not many people drive when drunk because 2000 is a hefty fine.
In UK, you will not only be fined, you will loose your licence for at least a year, may never be able to afford the insurance again anyway and even risk going to prison.

That's driving law taken seriously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks