Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Question here is Are they PEOPLE ?

Ram P
Ram: dint understand your question?
Old 7th August 2007, 16:05   #287
BHPian

Once again, the hi beam misuse is because of poor driver education. No one teaches anyone about the proper use of the high and low beams. Not even some cops don't have any idea.

One thing I have realized is that with all the people jumping into the roadway all the time, you need high beams to see them in advance. In the roads I drive, which are undivided two lane roads, people cross half of it and stand in the middle for a gap in the other half. A couple of times I had to swerve or brake hard to save someone because they were not visible in low beam. from a distance. And of course there are the two wheelers from your opposite side without their light on, and passing on your side. You NEED high beams to see them.

So, true to my first post admitting being a bad driver, yes, whenever the ambient light is low, I use hi-beams, and dip it when needed.

And this happened in good old California. I was waiting at a stoplight for a left turn. A huge truck/SUV came from the opposite and stopped at HIS left turn lane. So, we ended up standing directly facing each other, at a distance of around 50 feet. He had Xenons on LOW BEAM, but being a huge vehicle, it was hitting my eyes. And literally it was painful. My eyes hurt and I went blind for several seconds. I had to suffer angry honking from behind, and stay for another light cycle to recover and then drive on. Naturally I have no idea which car it was, or even whether it was a truck or SUV.
Old 7th August 2007, 16:52   #288
BHPian

You also cars keep pushing ahead slowly on a red light, anticipating it become green. Mumbai drivers are champions of this "red light progression". In a four way crossing, they sometimes occupy almost half of the road which then forces the cars from the other side to swerve causing more congestion.
Once in Mumbai, when I stopped my car to allow a lady and a child to cross the road, a well dressed executive type driving a skoda behind me kept flashing his lights and honking, eventhough he saw why i had stopped. He then came out and angrily asked me what was I thinking I was doing. I pointed to the old lady, midway through the road, and said just imagine that's your mom with you in tow. What surpirsed me was that, this supposedly educated guy did not have any inkling about driving ethics and I told him as much. His response - he went back to his car and zoomed passed me, swerving give me the dummy. I wonder why patience and good behaviour take flight when these guys are on the wheels.
Old 7th August 2007, 17:27   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
they dont get that the vehicles coming from opposite wont be able to see the indicator with the hi beam starrring at tthem.
Very true, I agree. This is especially the case for those cars that have an integrated headlight/turn lamp assembly... which happens to be nearly every car today. An exception that I can think of is the old M800 (in the '90s), which had the turn signal mounted in the bumper.
Old 10th August 2007, 14:04   #290
BHPian

Night drivers

ever since my early driving days,i find night driving pretty enjoyable.The only and the biggest drawback as per my opinion is the high beam light from on-coming vehicles.
I have noted that some particular cars are mostly driven on high beams.My list goes on as below desending order:

santro - 80-85% cars are on high beam at any given time in the night.
Indica - Most of the culprits are taxi/ call centre cabs
All Indian suvs - Safari & scorpio in particular.Leave those call centre cab driver

May i request teambhp members to drive on low beams at least in the city areas.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th August 2007 at 14:22. Reason: Please take care to post in the correct sections & Do not open threads unnecessarily. Post moved
Old 10th August 2007, 14:31   #291
Senior - BHPian

sure breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
ever since my early driving days,i find night driving pretty enjoyable.The only and the biggest drawback as per my opinion is the high beam light from on-coming vehicles.
I have noted that some particular cars are mostly driven on high beams.My list goes on as below desending order:

santro - 80-85% cars are on high beam at any given time in the night.
Indica - Most of the culprits are taxi/ call centre cabs
All Indian suvs - Safari & scorpio in particular.Leave those call centre cab driver

May i request teambhp members to drive on low beams at least in the city areas.
good observation breezy but in my opinion i think most of all if not everyone on this forum adhere to driving rules and mostly would be responsible on the roads as most of us are knowledgeable and with knowledge comes responsibilty and be rest assured about that
Old 10th August 2007, 15:00   #292
BHPian

I fully agree with you,but something is wrong with santro headlight for sure
Old 10th August 2007, 16:48   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
I fully agree with you,but something is wrong with santro headlight for sure
oh!! is it with the placement of the headlamp ? not quite sure myself as i havent driven santro anytime..keeping that fact aside no wonder many people in almost every town drive with their high beams on....i still dont get it and never do they do a dim and dip and ironically if one does they just pass by you with a strange look on their face...
Old 11th August 2007, 01:29   #294
Senior - BHPian

I almost killed two morons the other day in the night. These 2 nincompoops are perched on the national carrier of Tamilnadu(read TVS50) and merrily going on the left of the road..So far so good. I am on the right, doing about 60-70(it is a two lane road with median) and as soon as I am about pass them, the moron who was driving suddenly veers to the extreme right to avoid some cement cakes(deposited by some ready concrete truck) and I had to take evasive action. Brake hard and veer to the right, while making sure that I do not hit the median and total my 1 month old car. Somehow manage that, and I want to tell the TVS guy to drive carefully - maybe give him some of the choicest abuses also free.

Drew alongside him and signal him to stop. He gets scared and start gunning the TVS(in a literal sense - all I can hear is a loud beard trimmer sound - he does not go anywhere). There is a Sumo ahead parked on the left and I corner him between the Sumo and my car. But luck was with him, the Sumo takes off at that precise moment, so he inches ahead. I can see both their faces, they are looking very scared. I am now very angry, as they are trying to run away from me. Initially, I just wanted to give them a piece of mind, but now I want to thrash them(well, the driver at least).

TVS is doing it's maximum speed now(around 50-60 I guess)....I have an empty road ahead, and I decide to cut him off. But I have to judge this finely as he may bang into my car if I stop in front of him suddenly. I manage it and corner him again into a small clearing by the road. But the bugger is too crafty, take a U turn and pushes off on the wrong way !! I decide that he has already been scared enough and carry on on my way, by then I was more in control of my senses.

I admit that I was a victim of road rage, but what if I had hit the moped? The morons were not wearing helmets and if they had hit the median, I might have been responsible for their lives. Nobody would have believed my explanation, and I would be running around in circles, trying to get out of this mess.

Last edited by kuttapan : 11th August 2007 at 01:32. Reason: Spelling
kuttapan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2007, 10:36   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan View Post
In Hyderabad , there are LOTS And LOTS of maniac drivers ...
the traffic in Hyd is anarchy and chaos ... there are drivers who have absolute no Road sense and just swerve and drive as they own the roads ... I know a maniac as soon as i see the way the car drives on the road ... i avoid them and if i see any maniac behind me i just let them go .... thats in rush hour ... but in the Nights thats around 1 or 2 i really rip on the roads enjoying myself as there is absolutely no traffic on road at thet hours ...
Hyderabad is effing scary! I'd driven down from Pune once and my Corsa was in a basement parking for 3 days after my first "day trip" around Hyd. I think I've stopped cursing Pune traffic after that visit.
Old 11th August 2007, 10:40   #296
BHPian

Rickshaws without a fare that meander along at about 10Kmph taking up 2 lanes are instant road rage. Scary drivers are those who go into a turn at full throttle, realize they're far too fast to take the turn, and then brake while taking the turn. I think braking hard on turns because you can't estimate speed, is a dead giveaway of a bad driver.
Old 11th August 2007, 11:00   #297
BHPian

Do we have to spot them, they show up and standout .

Last edited by sreenivass : 11th August 2007 at 11:01.
Old 11th August 2007, 13:26   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

@kuttapan, sorry to know about that incident. However, thats the most common of all activities of such Je*** , i mean swerving without any warning
Old 11th August 2007, 15:49   #299
BHPian

h'bad is special

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Hyderabad is effing scary! I'd driven down from Pune once and my Corsa was in a basement parking for 3 days after my first "day trip" around Hyd. I think I've stopped cursing Pune traffic after that visit.
Use every inch of space is the funda in H'bad. Only luck can save you on the streets. I just have finished a 10 KM trip from Begumpet, swearing I am not going that side for another couple of months. 800/ Alto/ Zen are like bikes for maneuvering, auto rickshaws occupying two lanes, goodness me do we ever get better traffic sense.
Old 11th August 2007, 16:56   #300
Senior - BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em: through rear view mirrors ( sometimes we spot them sometimes they spots us)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks