Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 11:55   #2986
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Here is a picture i'd taken a few days back.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-18102011055.jpg

This auto-driver was actually parked on the extreme left side of the road.

Now let me paint you a picture. This is Old Madras Road. And this is the traffic-signal right in front of the Indiranagar Bus-Depot. it's a pretty small junction, and isn't really crowded generally. Traffic moves freely on both sides, and traffic-lights have been installed only for the purpose of those who want to turn right into the service road in front of the Bus-Depot. So the extreme right lane 9going towards Bypanahalli) is occupied by those who want to turn right. It's a red for those who want to take the right while it's green for everyone else.

Now when vehicles occupy the right lane while waiting for the signal, there is just about enough space for a bus to go straight. But this autorickshaw didn't seem to care about the buses speeding in the left lane and decided to leave his auto parked on the left side of the road, right at the traffic-signal, causing huge inconvenience to those who want to go straight.

I've been witness to several accidents that occur due to such nincompoops!
Old 21st October 2011, 23:35   #2987
BHPian

Was witness to a minor incident yesterday due to a nincompoop who didnt know the rules of driving in a closed parking space.

I was at the basement parking of our Kharadi office and had just parked the car. While I was turning off the car, I saw this biker come in between the parked cars in the space between the pillars. This when there is a 15-18 FT wide path created to move to the exit. As he tried squeezing his bike between the cars, I could hear a crunch sound. The idiot had scraped a Ritz which was parked there. He even tried to run away but the Security guard stopped him. The worst thing was he was shouting at the security guard for stopping him and said he is not at fault!!!

that was when I stepped out of the car and asked the guard to call the supervisor. Luckily the car owner came there at the same time and was kind off chilled out so we didnt press any further.

I have put an image to help understand what happened. The Red route is approximately what the idiot did.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-idiot-biker.jpg
Old 30th October 2011, 01:04   #2988
Senior - BHPian

See these bad drivers. Not sticking to their lane of the road especially at bends. There are tens of thousands of such guys who never stick to their side of the road.
Not only are they bad drivers but are accident makers too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bd1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bd3.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bd4.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bd5.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th October 2011 at 01:06.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 02:04   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
See these bad drivers. Not sticking to their lane of the road especially at bends. There are tens of thousands of such guys who never stick to their side of the road.
Don't mind but the pics were not too clear so just wanted to clarify. It may be nothing. It looks like you are stationary while taking the pics. Also is some part of your car to the right of the white line marking the left end of the road in a 2 lane road? Be careful before some inattentive rider bangs you from behind.

Also can someone clarify if there is any rule as to a stationary vehicle having to stand outside the white boundary of the road?
Old 30th October 2011, 09:00   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Rule book says the continuous lane marker line is not to be crossed. But is Ok where the lanes are marked by intermittent lines.
I was sitting in the car parking it at a doctor's place, where the lane markers are not continuous, which is evident from the pictures. Parking adjacent to the unbroken line in a manner obstructing the flow of traffic is an offense.
So I was well within the law.

I was parked there for some time and saw couple of near misses which prompted me to click with my mobile and hence the lesser clarity.

Quote:
Be careful before some inattentive rider bangs you from behind.
True, some one like this bad rider in the picture can do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled-22.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th October 2011 at 09:07.
Old 30th October 2011, 11:15   #2991

Quote:
I don't think many drivers pay much attention to the lane markings. But taking a curve through the middle of the road (as seen in the pics) is extremely dangerous. They are either ignorant or too cavalier to follow basic safety. Either way, its bad driving.
Maelstrom_83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 14:12   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Rule book says the continuous lane marker line is not to be crossed. But is Ok where the lanes are marked by intermittent lines.
I was sitting in the car parking it at a doctor's place, where the lane markers are not continuous, which is evident from the pictures. Parking adjacent to the unbroken line in a manner obstructing the flow of traffic is an offense.
So I was well within the law.
Thanks for the insight. Was always a bit confused about what the lines meant.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, never questioned if you were right or wrong. Never was actually sure what rule said.

And as my dad always said 'While driving always assume others on the road to be insane and yourself the only sane one!' Helps you avoid a lot of nasty situations.
shekhar_gogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 15:39   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi View Post
Just to avoid any misunderstanding, never questioned if you were right or wrong.
And as my dad always said 'While driving always assume others on the road to be insane and yourself the only sane one!' Helps you avoid a lot of nasty situations.
I really never meant it that way. I was only trying to say that I parked within the rule.

But one of my earlier photographs gives an impression the other way round. which is only an illusion. To know more on that take a look at the two pictures below. I was at that Doctor's place and casually clicked them. Here also the first picture gives an illusion as to I have parked with partly on the main lane but in fact it was not so as can be seen from the second pic..

One nice thing was no body violated the lane till I was out there unlike the previous time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-11.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-33.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th October 2011 at 15:43.
Old 30th October 2011, 16:56   #2994
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have full, unobstructed vision around the curve, either because it is shallow, or because the land is flat, and there are no hedges or walls or buidlings, then there is nothing wrong with crossing the centre of the road.

Rajeev's photo shows a typical case where it would be potentially suicidal to do so --- but so many people don't seem to care.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 17:56   #2995
Zed
BHPian

As per rules (and this cuts across countries and continents) a continuous dividing line between opposing lanes means no overtaking. Period. This is not subjective to the field of view of time of the day or any other factor. A curve with intermittent lines - sure one has to excise caution and judgement. As a rule of thumb overtaking while on a curve is best avoided.
Zed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 22:20   #2996
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Zed, I defer to you: one should not cross that line, whether it looks safe or not. My post was misleading in that respect.
Quote:
As a rule of thumb overtaking while on a curve is best avoided.
That's true, too. Can somebody tell the bikers!
Old 31st October 2011, 01:59   #2997
BHPian

Simple !

Very very simple!

1. They are driving a 3 wheeled wonder -
painted in a dual shade of yellow & black with garish covers,
plastic coated seats,
welded in floorboards,
unruly loud chrome 'ornaments'
non-functioning tail lamps
witty(?) words or slogans at the back
occassionally logos of all possible cars (BMW to Mercedes)
&
their feet (or foot) also serves as the lane change indicator.

Yes - the quintessential Rickshaw drivers of Mumbai - need I say more?

2. These drive a huge chunk of scrap metal
But have double the wheels - 6 to be precise
They don't need to honk as their gears being slot and rattling of their long rusted beyond repair coach makes enough noise to scare the **** out of you
They will fill up your rear view mirror with their radiator grill making you shiver in your pants
They will spit right out of their window onto your roof top (God forbid if you are on your bike)
No policeman shall ever dare to block their path or fine them for the numerous signals they ignore
They slam their brakes so hard - you can hear the collective sound of screeching, praying, cursing and pain - all in 1 breath.
Occasionally followed by a crash.

Yes - you guessed it -
They are the BEST - I mean B.E.S.T. bus drivers of Mumbai !

(Though - frankly - it seriously is a wonder how they manage to drive at all - given the state of the vehicle, state of roads, state of traffic and their own state sitting in a hot cooped up area.
So I do respect them for that.)

But not those damn rickshaw guys !
Old 31st October 2011, 02:39   #2998
BHPian

These Traffic Police pages run on Facebook by the Traffic departments of various cities were proving to be so successful. Looks like the judge was caught breaking a rule by a Facebook user and had to pay a fine due to which he has the hatred for such pages.

Can’t post photos of traffic violators on Facebook: HC - Indian Express
Old 31st October 2011, 12:46   #2999
BHPian

How arrogant and careless can this driver get. He first starts to inch forward and then parks himself in midst of the road, see the traffic light still red. In a few seconds he decides to jump the light. Seeing this the other car driver follows suite. This was at the signal after woodies/chroma JP Nagar on sat 29th.

The Jeep appears to be a government vehicle and is above the law! Clearly blatant disrespect for the law
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00031201110301315.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00032201110301315.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00033201110301315.jpg  

Last edited by sumathindra : 31st October 2011 at 12:48. Reason: edits
Old 31st October 2011, 16:59   #3000
BHPian

Have you ever seen someone torturing a car?
Came across this moron yesterday night. He was driving a new Wagon R with fumes coming from it's wheels . Front right wheel already given away and he was riding on his rim leaving shreds of rubber on the road.

I came to his side and tried telling him about his hot wheels but he just stared at me, took the next turn and drove away.

Most Viewed