Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 12:26   #3016
Senior - BHPian

We all know very well that our bus drivers in India drive horribly and have no care about following even basic traffic rules. Its no wonder that even though they have bus stops on the side. They still stop their busses in the middle of the road. So yes they are wrong in doing so. But why do folks behind then overtake them and pour into the opposite lane creating a recipe for disaster. This happened the other day when a bus stopped and a few bikes popped onto the opposite lane. I had to sverve left to avoid them. Luckily i had that split second to look into the left mirror before doing so. But being within a split second i could have easily missed someone in the mirror. Or if already veering left would not have been able to avoid a collision.
This is a classic example of how one person not following basic traffic rules. Leads to a chain reaction which in the end could spell disaster.
Luckily the traffic Gods in India work overtime. Showering their belssings on all of us road users.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:41   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I rather really liked the 2 sec rule on UK Motorways. They have chevrons painted on the tarmac. So, there should be a gap of 2 chevrons (pls correct me if I'm wrong), between the 2 cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
In Thailand I saw dots painted on the highway lanes.
As a driver you should be able to see 2 dots between the car in front of you and your own car.
I wish to see any of these systems implemented on our roads someday.
I don't think those chevrons or dots will be implemented here. Moreover there is no proper tarmac on the roads to paint such things. Instead the solution is simple. Our roads are full of potholes and just follow the 2 pothole rule. So as a driver you should be able to see 2 potholes between yours and the car in front of you. I think its sufficient to maintain a decent gap between the vehicles.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 12:47   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I don't think those chevrons or dots will be implemented here. Moreover there is no proper tarmac on the roads to paint such things. Instead the solution is simple. Our roads are full of potholes and just follow the 2 pothole rule. So as a driver you should be able to see 2 potholes between yours and the car in front of you. I think its sufficient to maintain a decent gap between the vehicles.
Or two stones gap
I really feel sorry for you bro, however, this joke was dying to be cracked.

The more important question is, even if we maintain that gap, what is the guarantee that the person behind me is not tailgating me? So, even in a panic situation, there's a good chance that someone will plough into me. A special mentions to those Rossi's on India roads armed with drum brakes and those who do not know how to apply brakes! Every time I read Anekho's post about his experience in Sweden, I wonder how many of those morons on Indian roads will pass the Swedish exams.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:59   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040

Or two stones gap

The more important question is, even if we maintain that gap, what is the guarantee that the person behind me is not tailgating me? So, even in a panic situation, there's a good chance that someone will plough into me. A special mentions to those Rossi's on India roads armed with drum brakes and those who do not know how to apply brakes! Every time I read Anekho's post about his experience in Sweden, I wonder how many of those morons on Indian roads will pass the Swedish exams.
This i have experienced the hard way. And the guy was not even tailgating. It was an all of a sudden first of the monsoon heavy shower. I was maintaining good distance as the weather conditions were bad. It was while decending a flyover that everyone stopped. I came to a halt. Looked into the rear view mirror. No one in sigh yet. Eyes still glued to the rear view mirror. A tempo now in sight. A sverve left and then right. I release my breaks a little. No time to warn my wife sitting at the back. *BANG* tempo slammed right into the rear of the civic.
The rest if you like you can read on the civic rear ended thread.
So yes in wet conditions its very wise to maintain a greater distance from the vehicle ahead.
But there are just those certain times where no matter what you do, if something has to go wrong it will.
The Tempo guys response to this.
"Sorry Saab, brake nahin laga."
Old 1st November 2011, 13:23   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or two stones gap
You are absolutely correct sir! I can definitely count this with my experiences with stones.

Whenever I try to maintain a gap in city limits, I'll be tagged as a bad driver by the drivers following me which I can make out from their facial expressions. They'll stare at me as though I have committed a blunder by maintaining a gap. 1 bus, 2 cars, 4 autos, 5 bikes, 3 cycles, 2 stray dogs, 5-6 pedestrians trying to cross the road, etc from all the directions will be trying to squeeze into the gap which I normally maintain.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st November 2011 at 13:25.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:33   #3021
Distinguished - BHPian

Likewise when I brake because I see someone about to jump over a median. Unlike the guy behind me, I choose to assume that such a person might jump in front of my car. In fact, I choose to assume that any potential danger that I succeed in noticing warrants at least holding the foot over the brake.

(which might make people wonder how I ever get anywhere. I guess there is a lot of danger that I fail to notice! )
Quote:
Every time I read Anekho's post about his experience in Sweden, I wonder how many of those morons on Indian roads will pass the Swedish exams.
Zero. None. Absolutely less than zero. Even those who sincerely try to drive well would fail on various items of technique. I guess I'd probably fail a British test, now!
Old 1st November 2011, 15:47   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or two stones gap
The more important question is, even if we maintain that gap, what is the guarantee that the person behind me is not tailgating me? So, even in a panic situation, there's a good chance that someone will plough into me.
You can't control others on the road so your best bet would be to maintain more than adequate distance between your car and the vehicle in front of you. So that in case of sudden braking you have ample time to conveniently bring your car to halt. I know that as such following the 3 second rule in city is difficult and if you make that 4 seconds the people behind you would make you go deaf with their honking but that's a choice that one has to make. I feel that 3 second rule is enough though.

I usually maintain a lot more than adequate distance between my car and the vehicle in front, you know how those chauffer driven mercs and bmws look like they have all the time in the world, I drive just like that, more so if there's too much traffic. If I see someone catching up in my IRVM and starts tailgating me dangerously close I either give way (mostly) but if I can't change lanes I slow down, so that the distance between my car and the vehicle in front increases and I have a better chance of surviving being rear-ended in case the vehicle in front brakes suddenly, or at times do this (not at all recommended). I've exercised this sudden braking gesture a couple of times and everytime I promise myself that I won't do it again but there are times when these idiots on the road really get on your nerves, never plan to do it again though.

This driving style doesn't mean that you'd find me driving at 20 kmph in the middle lane in a 80 kmph zone. I believe leaving ample space in front while driving is one of the best precautionary measure when can take while driving. Keeping my calm and enjoying the music are just some added benefits.
Old 1st November 2011, 16:37   #3023
Distinguished - BHPian

Rather than sudden braking, my technique is to brake very gently, and, ultimately, stop.

The guy behind, because he hasn't obeyed the rule (well, my rule) to always leave sufficient space to get around the vehicle in front of him, can't, and has to stop too.

I call it passive-aggressive braking, and, whilst it may be gentle, in its way it is as much road rage as violence, so I'm not proud of that --- but, occasionally, someone gets the point, and does drop back.

What I try to remind myself is --- it is safer to have someone like that in front of you, rather than behind you.

No, I don't have a problem with being overtaken: I have a problem with being bullied. If someone comes smoothly up behind me, obviously wanting to overtake, and I'm the one in the way, then I try to get out of the way.

As to the dents I've got already on the rear bumper, I think it's time for a new one. I'm beginning to think of bumpers as consumables!
Old 1st November 2011, 17:26   #3024
BHPian

It is good to drive defensively (i.e. making allowances for other drivers' mistakes and not inciting them in any manner). In the end we are effectively playing with / risking our own lives and that of our near and dear ones (even if they are not in the vehicle - think of how they would be affected by our demise or injury) when we try to retaliate or make a point while driving on the road.

I do realize that this is much, much harder to practice than to preach - we are humans conditioned by our response to adrenaline that at one time protected us from aggressors - however it would behoove us to hold on to someone or something that over rules the adrenaline surge from some idiot following too closely, flashing lights or cutting us off. In my case it is the picture of my 3 yr old - I let other "bad" drivers do as they want by thinking of how what I am doing could affect my child.
Old 1st November 2011, 19:11   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As to the dents I've got already on the rear bumper, I think it's time for a new one. I'm beginning to think of bumpers as consumables!

Yeah. Gradual braking does help. However, we all sometime or other run out of luck! Thankfully, my bumper has been strong enough to bear the brunt till now.

OT : Was watching a old re-run of Top Gear yesterday where the blokes drive around in trucks. There was a braking test where Captain Slow manages to scare the **** of himself and ends up in the restroom! That was hillarious!

My job requires me to maintain some odd hours. e.g. driving back at 10.30pm. Now, at that time of the night, I love the empty roads and indulge in some bad driving practices e.g. trying to find the fastest line through a curve. Definitely a bad habit and I need to cure myself of it! Now, I just need to find out how!
Old 1st November 2011, 19:51   #3026
BHPian

I always maintain a healthy gap to the car in front of me and if I find that someone behind me is getting a bit too close to me, I let him through and then maintain a healthy gap to him. I keep repeating this process whenever someone is getting close behind me. I might be a few minutes late when reaching home, but atleast I have my destiny in my own hands rather than some moron's hand who is tailgating you into oblivion. Ofcourse, this technique is impossible while driving in the city, so I start much earlier and drive slow and let anyone who looks to be in a hurry through.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:16   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Rather than sudden braking, my technique is to brake very gently, and, ultimately, stop.

The guy behind, because he hasn't obeyed the rule (well, my rule) to always leave sufficient space to get around the vehicle in front of him, can't, and has to stop too.

I call it passive-aggressive braking, and, whilst it may be gentle, in its way it is as much road rage as violence, so I'm not proud of that --- but, occasionally, someone gets the point, and does drop back.

What I try to remind myself is --- it is safer to have someone like that in front of you, rather than behind you.

No, I don't have a problem with being overtaken: I have a problem with being bullied. If someone comes smoothly up behind me, obviously wanting to overtake, and I'm the one in the way, then I try to get out of the way.

My thoughts exactly.
I religiously follow the "smooth driving" technique.

Old 1st November 2011, 21:10   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
How arrogant and careless can this driver get. He first starts to inch forward and then parks himself in midst of the road, see the traffic light still red. In a few seconds he decides to jump the light. Seeing this the other car driver follows suite. This was at the signal after woodies/chroma JP Nagar on sat 29th.

The Jeep appears to be a government vehicle and is above the law! Clearly blatant disrespect for the law
Put this up on the BTP FB page. Hope they take action on their own folks
Old 1st November 2011, 21:11   #3029
Distinguished - BHPian

The funny thing is that the smooth driving often gets your further, and you find that you are actually well ahead of the guy who gave up tailgating you, and started on someone in a different lane. Look ahead, read the traffic, drive with a strategy other than just get past the guy in front, often results in being in front.
Old 1st November 2011, 21:34   #3030
BHPian

Quote:
The funny thing is that the smooth driving often gets your further, and you find that you are actually well ahead of the guy who gave up tailgating you, and started on someone in a different lane. Look ahead, read the traffic, drive with a strategy other than just get past the guy in front, often results in being in front.
Yes, choosing the correct lane, sticking to it and driving smooth gets you ahead much ahead than the MORON who is driving left and right, trying to sneak up, and squeezing into non-existent gaps. He always finds himself on the wrong lane.....and it gives me immense pleasure to stare at him while passing by.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks