Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:08   #3046
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Now you decide, just plain stupid or extremely dangerous?
Which is why, I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Bad judgment and stupidity.
But that is a crime almost all teens are guilty of.
Just pray that they don't learn a lesson the hard way.

Also the reason why I posted the car number. Hoping that someone who knows them will see this and tell them just how risky it is.
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:13   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Tell me why should this board make a difference? As a responsible parent all children must be seated in the rear in a car seat duly belted up, which in my opinion is being a responsible parent. Safety of the child is compromised for the convenience of the parent/child.
A child seat does not provide protection to the neck are of a child which is very vulnerable esp. in cases where a sudden manouvere is made (stopping, swerving etc).
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:24   #3048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
A child seat does not provide protection to the neck are of a child which is very vulnerable esp. in cases where a sudden manouvere is made (stopping, swerving etc).
A child in a car seat is safer that a child held in the parents arms.

There is NO doubt or question about it.

I don't understand your point.

The child seat I use, is to be placed rear facing till my daughter is more than 10 kgs.
Rear facing seats and the 5 point safety harness provide a lot of protection in the event of a sudden stop.
Old 3rd November 2011, 01:35   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A child in a car seat is safer that a child held in the parents arms.

There is NO doubt or question about it.

I don't understand your point.

The child seat I use, is to be placed rear facing till my daughter is more than 10 kgs.
Rear facing seats and the 5 point safety harness provide a lot of protection in the event of a sudden stop.

My answer was in response to KPS who said that how does it matter if someone has put a child on board sign. Though the seat will provide a lot of protection, it does not have a neck harness (possibly your seat model nmight have it, but most I have seen dont). In the absence of a neck harness any sudden move will exert G forces on the neck, shoulder and head areas. As you are aware these parts of the body in a baby are weak. A person who uses a child seat is doing an exemplary thing but then sudden accelaration, decellaration and direction changes are something which should be avoided. And so one must respect the 'child on board' sign. That is the point I am trying to make.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 03:15   #3050
BHPian

An excellent website which has a lot of answers to everyday driving questions. This certainly will help us become better drivers. Please share this.

As for people who say " Yaar, India me follow karoge to tum hi maroge", just one answer - Charity begins at home, we will change this country, one person at a time.

I pledge to be a good driver - join me in that pledge.

I would love to start a new thread for this, but not sure if the mods will approve.

Driver's Ed Guru
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 11:28   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Check this out. And the lady was obviously having a tough time maintaining balance. This is an educated well to do family and they have not take this option for lack of any other options. If its not very clear in the pic, then let me tell you that there are 4 people on that two wheeler.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-foursome.jpg
Old 4th November 2011, 11:42   #3052
BHPian

Now here is a post which can be made in a feature movie 3 hrs. long - and then into a trilogy and the story would still not be over.

I try to follow some basic guidelines when I'm driving:
  1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (how many of us actually follow this)
  2. Irrespective of people following lane discipline, I always do. Its fun when people convert a two lane into a four lane, and I jam up almost three "lanes" with the Endy
  3. Never react, act. Just because some schlub wants to take off from a signal and race you, doesn't mean we have to reciprocate. However, if you are the poor schlub who wants to race people at a signal light, go ahead, be my guest
  4. Always remember, thrills in an unsafe setting can quickly deteriorate into life changing events. My friend in his souped up Civic racing through the Koramangala roads at 11.40 pm learnt this the hard way when he ended up crashing into and killing a drunk old man who was crossing the road
  5. There is no point entering into an altercation over an accident - no point. Either you end up beating up the guy or the guy ends up thrashing you. Either way its not a civilized ending. Accidents, by definition, are not on purpose. Treat it as such.

How do I recognize bad drivers - I look for the inverse of the above 5 points.
Anarchy83 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 12:48   #3053
Senior - BHPian

sure; we understand, but you can't see what's behind you, can you?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_2752.jpg
Old 4th November 2011, 12:51   #3054
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
An excellent website which has a lot of answers to everyday driving questions. This certainly will help us become better drivers. Please share this.

As for people who say " Yaar, India me follow karoge to tum hi maroge", just one answer - Charity begins at home, we will change this country, one person at a time.

I pledge to be a good driver - join me in that pledge.

I would love to start a new thread for this, but not sure if the mods will approve.

Driver's Ed Guru
The only way we can change the driving experience in India is if we have a large cross section of road users committing themselves to safe driving practises. I believe there are many of us within and outside this forum doing the best we can to be considerate and safe drivers but we are far outnumbered by the 'i-dont-really-care' and 'yes-its-my-dads-road' lot.
I would propose that message to ne spread must address specific points. For instance...
1. I will not switch lanes unnecessarily and try and remain on the right lane.
2. I will not use my horn unless it is absolutely necessary.
3. I will not overtake unless it is in a permitted zone and I have a clear view of oncoming traffic. I will never overtake on curves.
4. I will maintain sufficient distance to the vehicle in front.
5. I will exercise restraint and keep my cool under all circumstances.
6. I will learn and respect the rules pertaining to right of way, pedestrians and other road users.

I guess the list can be as elaborate or concise as we may desire...but there's got to be specifics.
Zed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 17:02   #3055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Check this out. And the lady was obviously having a tough time maintaining balance. This is an educated well to do family and they have not take this option for lack of any other options. If its not very clear in the pic, then let me tell you that there are 4 people on that two wheeler.
If any positives are to be taken out from it - both the kids are wearing helmets. Not sure though if they are of the correct size. As then it would cause more harm then good. But seriously i do not remember seeing any kid wearing a helmet while on a bike. Heck most of the riders don't wear them in Pune.

Last edited by amitwlele : 4th November 2011 at 17:03.
Old 4th November 2011, 17:15   #3056
BHPian

My patience was put to test today :

In bumper to bumper traffic, I changed lanes from the extreme right lane to the lane on its left to dodge a stranded car at Moti Bagh flyover. This brought me behind a cherry red Wagon-R and thus began my test.

The traffic was crawling at a very slow pace. Every time the gentleman driving this Wagon-R used to shift to the first gear at low speed, he used to stop the car, turn off the ignition, restart, very gradually pick up some momentum, only to repeat the process. Each time, the gap between his car and the car in front of him used to increase to a good 15 - 20 feet, and a car from either left or right lane used to fill the slot. In the closely crawling traffic, I could not overtake him from either side and was forced to drive behind him for over 2 kms.

Finally, I decided that enough was enough. Gave the left indicator and shifted to the left lane, and filled the slot in front of him. 2 minutes later, I could see him trailing at the foot of the Bhikaji Cama flyover, as I approached the top of the flyover.

Wishing him happy journey to wherever he was going. Hope he had enough water, food, patience and fuel to carry on. He was completely unmindful of all the honking he was causing on the road.

Was wondering if his car actually had some fault or this was his normal driving style.
Old 4th November 2011, 17:37   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post

Wishing him happy journey to wherever he was going. Hope he had enough water, food, patience and fuel to carry on. He was completely unmindful of all the honking he was causing on the road.

Was wondering if his car actually had some fault or this was his normal driving style.
LOL. He could have rather walked spilling the petrol around. I think he was trying to bring down the speed of traffic behind him to the average traffic speed! I read about this "experiment" where by driving slowly to avoid "rush and brake" driving would actually streamline the traffic behind you (of course this was in reference to the traffic in west though) but this is like taking things to extreme!

Here goes the link: http://trafficwaves.org/trafexp.html

Last edited by anilisanil : 4th November 2011 at 17:39.
Old 4th November 2011, 20:37   #3058
BHPian

Even people who role down the windows, play music loudly and randomly cut lanes can get really annoying.
Old 4th November 2011, 22:46   #3059
Distinguished - BHPian

I very much approve of not moving every time the car in front of you shifts a few inches. It is a waste of effort, both for driver and car! If the stop/start frequency is high enough, and one gets the speed right, sometimes one can crawl without stopping as the the vehicles in front stop/start.

I have no patience with the honkers, because, when the traffic is more stop than start, then none of us are going to get anywhere any quicker by always being on the tail of the guy in front. Even if we leave a hundred yards, we are still going to catch up, so relax... take a nap...

Unless it means missing the green signal. Then I have my hand fixed to horn along with everybody else <Blush>! Once you get close enough to that signal, then, in an ideal world, everybody would move simultaneously.

Maybe Sugeeta's guy only ever used his car in first gear, and always turned off the engine when not moving!
Old 4th November 2011, 22:55   #3060
Senior - BHPian

A similar situation may have been posted umpteen times out here.

Place: Exit ramp on Hebbal flyover leading to ORR.
Cast: A biker in front, followed by an Indica, followed by me.
Play: Biker is on a crawl - in the middle of the ramp. Indica on the crawl right behind the biker - and me on the crawl, right behind the Indica.

Climax: The biker is busy looking into his cell phone and typing something while throwing occasional glance on the road and our hero in Indica timidly following him. I honk, a short blast, Indica guy gestures from the window "what do you want?".
I honk again - another short blast - the same gesture, this time more vigorous as in "What the hell do you want?"

I let out a long blast of horn. That's when Indica guy realizes even he has a horn and blasts. That wakes our hero - the biker and moves aside.. just a bit for the cars to pass and gives both of us looks that said the same "This road is my dad's, who are you guys to ask me to move aside"

Most Viewed