Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 18:18   #3301
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This was the funniest experience in a long long time.

Happened today after noon in the road that connects ORR to windtunnel road. There is a small bridge which is a oneway just before the Bellandur lake.

Im entering the bridge and i see a santro coming from the other side. Since i was the first, i put my lights on and used the dipper too to get the attention of the santro driver. For some strange reason the santro kept coming and i was almost at the other end of the bridge and it blocked my exit. There was a lady in the car and had a phone in her hand. She looked so confused as to why are we stuck in the bridge !!!! I told her, Mam i had my lights on and was dipping to show u that Im coming on . She gave me a reply which burst me to laughter.
She said, I thought you had the lights on cos you could not see the road

She had a tough time reversing, and i sped away still laughing ...
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 18:50   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when approaching a toll booth one has never used before, one would at least wonder why people are lined up in one lane and not using the others. if one is lucky, one would see the gate opening on these unused lanes when cars pass; this should set one thinking - what is that these people have that makes the gate open automatically. do i have one in my car?

common sense quite frankly
You are right, but when i approached the exit there were no cars on either of them (also somewhat stupidity on my part as well). Also these are the same cars whom i overtook on the expressway so they very well knew that i was infact ahead of them. I guess everyone is in so much hurry in this city that we sometimes refuse to see the obvious. Anyways will not happen again for sure. Just wanted to thank that swift guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
2)Also, while the air-blower does add to the power consumed, it is not really much to drain the battery if used at signals. I do it all the time.
Maybe, but i am scares as i was stranded in my Indica when i did this sometime back in 2002. Maybe the newer cars are different .

Another incident on the same expressway today, only while returning. Saw an Indigo guy with four folks on board getting on the wrong lane and he had to back up and get into our lane. Guys in front of me did not allow him to enter, but when i saw him i let him in (although this guy was more pushy then i was, like poking his nose in the queue). Anyways looks like a common place folks make mistakes.
Old 21st December 2011, 00:53   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Bought new and its a 2004 model. Off-On-Acc-Ignition are the 4 notches on the key-hole ring and on "Acc" everything (except the engine, AC & brake-booster) works from battery power.
While I stop at a signal with engine turned off, I maintain the key in the "Acc" notch. I need the fan (AC-blower) and the turn-signals even while I am waiting for the signal and they remain operational.

I am missing something or getting confused?
SDP,
Is that 4 notches + 'turn to crank the engine', or is it 3 + 'Ignition' to crank the engine? The reason I am asking is, your key will return to the last-1 once you've cranked it up.

My Scorp has 3+1 and while driving, the key will be at 3rd notch (2nd click from key insert or 'Acc' on above terms equivalent). This is what I referred as 'ignition-on' in earlier post. When I switch off the engine at signals, the key will be at 2nd notch (1st click or 'On' as above). This I call as 'key-on' position.

Now, if I have to keep the blinkers on while the engine is switched off, then I need to flip the key back into 'ignition-on'. Apart from making the a/c blower*^* run, this will also run the engine start up checks and power on several other vital components (like fuel pump, coolant pump/fan, etc., on certain cars).

Me feels that certainly is a drain on battery and bit scared as if that's not good for the car/battery.

I'm amazed by your practice below and really will have to give it to you, your car and more importantly to your car's battery for being able to pull it through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
I used to have battery draining problem at signals when the battery was 3+ years old. After changing the battery, in a 45 minute daily traffic jam, while the engine is running only for 5-10 minutes out of the 45; the headlamps, music system and blower is ON for the entire duration. Absolutely no issues with battery draining.

*^* - I vaguely remember the a/c on indicator lit even when the engine is not running. Not sure if it's only the light and/or the a/c (i.e., compressor) itself runs on battery power. Shall check that tomorrow.

PS: I find our this discussion amusing. We are discussing on a trivial issue here (getting stuck behind a car that doesn't signal the turn well ahead of time), while there are numerous trucks and buses (especially state owned RTCs here) that has either broken or non-operational turn /stop indicators. Any crusaders that can take it up with the authorities / fleet owners?
Old 21st December 2011, 12:00   #3304
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad driver story narrated by one of the youngsters I work with: a group of young men left a party at 4 am last night and one of the guys was so blown out of his mind that he sat on the passenger window with half his body outside and was singing along lustily to the car stereo blasting in the background. Small wonder that they got spotted and stopped by the cops.

Now for the scary part of the story: they actually managed to talk their way out of ths situation without any penalty (or even any money exchanging hands). According to my source (who was sober and scared in the back seat) the guy driving was so badly gone that he'd had trouble walking up to the car. How he managed to convince the cops that he was in a condition to drive is beyond me (I know the guy, he can sell ice to an Eskimo).

Bad drivers yes but bad policing for sure- what if these guys had gone and hit some innocent person and cost them their life? I gave the guy who told me a piece of my mind and an open offer to call me for a ride rather than get in a car for a ride that could possibly be his last.
noopster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 13:11   #3305
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I gave the guy who told me a piece of my mind and an open offer to call me for a ride rather than get in a car for a ride that could possibly be his last.
You're right with this part. It's shocking that the cops let them go. I guess they probably used influence or the old "Jaanta hai mera baap kaun hai?" strategy. Your friend, for fear of his life and safety, should not only have not gotten into the car, but should also have dissuaded the others from driving in that condition. Most cities have radio taxis, if no one else is available to drive. I commend you for giving a talking-to to your friend.
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:54   #3306
BHPian

This is appropriate on BTP FB page, however its been a loong time since this happened wonder if anything can be done now. Posting here nevertheless.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00142201109130910.jpgBad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00143201109130910.jpg
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:49   #3307

My 2 cents: The most dangerous thing I've seen/experienced in Chennai: These guys put the auto-rickshaws, the water tankers and the tempos to shame. Whenever you see bright-red coloured government Post Office vans, AVOID. Don't drive near ten feet of these things. The drivers drive recklessly, whichever way you look at it.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:44   #3308
BHPian

This was clicked by my colleague. No offence meant to that respectable gentle man driving that beauty,may be it was just a minute of kiddo fun , But PLS dont play with your kid's life.

This is way too dangerous for a minute of thrill ride. There are enough thrill options in wonderla for the kid to have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00003201111181440.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:43   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
This was clicked by my colleague. No offence meant to that respectable gentle man driving that beauty,may be it was just a minute of kiddo fun , But PLS dont play with your kid's life.

This is way too dangerous for a minute of thrill ride. There are enough thrill options in wonderland for the kid to have fun.
This is outright dangerous! Did your colleague try to talk some sense in the gentleman when he took the pic? Very bad driver indeed.

Actually a gentleman who puts his kid's life in danger, isn't; exactly a gentleman. And they are not much respectable either. If you go and try to talk something to them they will shout at you; just like in the CEAT tyres ad.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:48   #3310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
This is outright dangerous! Did your colleague try to talk some sense in the gentleman when he took the pic? Very bad driver indeed.

Actually a gentleman who puts his kid's life in danger, isn't; exactly a gentleman. And they are not much respectable either. If you go and try to talk something to them they will shout at you; just like in the CEAT tyres ad.
My colleague said, he wanted to talk to him. But seeing the hammer mounted on the side , he backed off
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:49   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Can't blame him. These days people are so much on edge, you try and be a do-gooder and end up being abused or shouted at.

I can't bear to see that pic, it's really disturbing!
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:04   #3312
Team-BHP Support

Look at the guy driving that Jeep. I'm a big guy myself, but I wouldn't dare mess with him. And he knows this, and that's why he's taken to liberty to treat himself like some king.

And that poor girl. What was that guy thinking? Is he off his mind?

I've decided not to get worked up about such characters. There is nothing you can do. There are people, I personally know, who flout traffic-rules because they WANT to. It's a thrill for them. And this rebellious attitude isn't going to take them anywhere.

The sooner they learn, the better for them.

But I feel bad for the guy who has to suffer, for no fault of his. You know, the guys who end up getting caught in a situation where they're held liable if some two-wheeler goes down on the road because he swerved into them, while they're puttering along in their cars minding their own businesses.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd December 2011 at 19:30.
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:15   #3313
Distinguished - BHPian

On a related note, I was stuck on this 2-lane road that leads out of the tech park where I work last night and suddenly this whole bunch of smart alecs decided they would take the oncoming traffic lane and get ahead. Since we were stuck there for quite a while I had enough time to think it through calmly. And what you said above makes absolute sense:

Quote:
I've decided not to get worked up about such characters. There is nothing you can do. There are people, I personally know, who flout traffic-rules because they WANT to. It's a thrill for them. And this rebellious attitude isn't going to take them anywhere.
So I just relaxed and turned Kill 'Em All up a bit on the speakers. There was this one gent who came abreast of me only to find a big bus facing him, so backed off and next thing I know he's sneaked ahead on my left,with two wheels almost in the gutter

What else can you do except shake your head, chuckle and little and leave 'em to their mad ways? The guy almost got hit head-on a few minutes later as he tried to repeat the stunt with the car in front. All it made me think was: sooner or later, your karma kicks in!
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:10   #3314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What else can you do except shake your head, chuckle and little and leave 'em to their mad ways? The guy almost got hit head-on a few minutes later as he tried to repeat the stunt with the car in front. All it made me think was: sooner or later, your karma kicks in!
Precisely!

I try and refrain from listening to heavy metal in my car. It completely changes the way I drive. I tend to get worked up quite a lot. Some nice soothing Floyd or PT for me please

You must be familiar with Bangalore? I was on my way back home and driving on St. John's Road, towards Ulsoor Lake. There is a traffic-junction at Lake Side Hospital, and before that signal is a series of pot-holes on the left-hand side of the road. I refrain from driving on that side because I know that they can seriously damage your car. So I stick to the right side.

There was this really impatient guy in a Verna and who was adamant about overtaking me, so I moved to the left slightly and still weary of that pot-hole that I was fast approaching. Out of no-where comes this guy in an Auto and overtakes me from the left, only to be swallowed by that pot-hole a second later!

I stopped at the junction 100 meters ahead and the Auto-guy comes by my side and starts yelling expletives in Kannada. I just ignored him. He's just trying to pass-on his frustration to me. It didn't work.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:11   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
On a related note, I was stuck on this 2-lane road that leads out of the tech park where I work last night and suddenly this whole bunch of smart alecs decided they would take the oncoming traffic lane and get ahead. Since we were stuck there for quite a while I had enough time to think it through calmly. And what you said above makes absolute sense:

So I just relaxed and turned Kill 'Em All up a bit on the speakers. There was this one gent who came abreast of me only to find a big bus facing him, so backed off and next thing I know he's sneaked ahead on my left,with two wheels almost in the gutter

My funda: let these guys do whatever they want but don't let them cut in front of me. Its all about distances and angles..
Of course if that guy has a hammer like in Suhaas's pic, then respectful distance is preferable.

Most Viewed