Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 00:16   #3316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo
*^* - I vaguely remember the a/c on indicator lit even when the engine is not running. Not sure if it's only the light and/or the a/c (i.e., compressor) itself runs on battery power. Shall check that tomorrow.
Update: The a/c on indicator is lit, but the compressor is not on - it's only the blower throwing the air.

So, that's now clear. However, not sure of other circuitry required for engine like fuel pump, etc., and the effect of them being on while the engine is not. Experts please comment.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:36   #3317
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

The compressor will not work as it is driven by the engine and not the battery.

The fuel pump will run as it is based on the battery. However there is a pressure sensing sensor/ valve which will cut off the pump as the engine is not drawing fuel.

All lights will run as will the blower.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:31   #3318
BHPian

I had to crawl behind this truck for almost 15 minutes. This is in one of the narrow roads in Electronics City, the STPI road.
Bcos of the hanging load he couldn't stick to the left lane, occupying the full road. (this is not a one-way road).
As usual, impatient vehicels (even cars and a Sumo) overtook me and this trunk thro' the non-existent gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image008.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2011, 11:36   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Update: The a/c on indicator is lit, but the compressor is not on - it's only the blower throwing the air.

So, that's now clear. However, not sure of other circuitry required for engine like fuel pump, etc., and the effect of them being on while the engine is not. Experts please comment.
The electromagnetic clutch for the AC compressor will still be engaged if you leave the Compressor ON switch. It draws about a couple of Amperes depending upon the type. When you have a "good" battery and if the battery is fully charged, all these small loads mean nothing. Only when the battery is not fully charged, such loads over a period of time may contribute to future problems. An automotive battery is not designed for deep discharge cycle.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:57   #3320
BHPian

A very irritating sight today morning.In wilson Garden road, A dad and son on a honda activa. Son must be 10-12 yrs old not more. And guess what the son is riding and dad is pillion. And all of a sudden dad tells him to take the short cut, a one way !!!! And son obliges and speeds past me in the opposite direction . . I didnt click as i was afraid this guy would run into my car, so was very cautious. Both son and dad had big grins on their faces, as if they accomplished their life dreams.And neither had helmets.

I would give that dad " The Not Worthy of being a Parent" award.
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:17   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
This was clicked by my colleague. No offence meant to that respectable gentle man driving that beauty,may be it was just a minute of kiddo fun , But PLS dont play with your kid's life.

This is way too dangerous for a minute of thrill ride. There are enough thrill options in wonderla for the kid to have fun.
This Idiot must be given a tight one on the face and should be told not to play with the life of the small kid...
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:23   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Re: Take a look at this Father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Lot of parents are like this.

I have seen a mother almost strangling a child with her arms and oblivious of it
Hi guys, here is another one doing circus on the road with their kid standing in the middle portion of the bike seat.
These illiterate ladies think they are sitting in their homes and not on the bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-gg-069.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2011, 23:36   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Saw this bad jeeper at Kottayam couple of days back. He is carrying a full length GI pipe in his jeep which is precariously protruding from both front and back.
He is not only a bad driver but a very dangerous one too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-jeeper-2.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd December 2011 at 23:38.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:50   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this bad jeeper at Kottayam couple of days back. He is carrying a full length GI pipe in his jeep which is precariously protruding from both front and back.
He is not only a bad driver but a very dangerous one too.
Add to that the fact that his brake lights are definitely not working, makes him an even more danger to others on the road. Doesnt deserve to be called a jeeper, IMO.
Old 24th December 2011, 11:28   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Add to that the fact that his brake lights are definitely not working, makes him an even more danger to others on the road. Doesnt deserve to be called a jeeper, IMO.
True. That guy is to be called an idiot in all the senses the word mean. What was more dangerous was, the guy from parked position on the right side of the road, took off to the left right onto my trajectory with the pipe protruding like a cannon. Thank God that was an one way street and vehicles were literally on stop-go mode. It did not end there and he was wantonly trying to then get into the left lane with gay abandon and dangerously. He was using that pipe to scare other motorists.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th December 2011 at 11:46.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:16   #3326
Distinguished - BHPian

i'll term this guy as a bad driver
he is a potential threat to other road users.
all 4 tyres were in this state.

if you look closely, the tyres are unidirectional and are mounted in the opposite direction of rotation

Name:  ForumRunner_20111226_110726.png
Views: 1147
Size:  449.1 KB
Attached Images

Old 26th December 2011, 11:28   #3327
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Here's a situation that I come across quite often.

You are driving in the 2nd lane on a 6 lane highway (3 lanes for each direction). There is nobody in front of you in the 2nd lane. The rightmost lane has a few vehicles which somehow are going slower than you. What do you do?

If you maintain your speed, it would look like you overtook the vehicles in the rightmost lane from their left. At the same time, slowing down because the vehicles on your right are slower does not make sense.

Any insights? What do you do in such situation?
Old 26th December 2011, 11:44   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

You are driving in the 2nd lane on a 6 lane highway (3 lanes for each direction). There is nobody in front of you in the 2nd lane. The rightmost lane has a few vehicles which somehow are going slower than you. What do you do?
Continue driving in your lane. Give short honks to indicate you are coming through. Keep one eye on the vehicles on your right to make sure they dont make sudden move to the left. Keep another eye further out on the road for things that can force them to make a sudden move (a cut in the divider would be one such probable spot). Keep one eye on the traffic on your left as well. Of course, be on the lookout for a crazy maniac who might come to your right and cut you off.

Yessir. You need at least 4 eyes to drive on the highways
amitoj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 12:00   #3329
BHPian

Here is a snap of what i encounter everyday while returning from my office. Mostly there is a huge traffic jam on the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road. There are drivers who will drive in between the first and second lane and keep on zig-zagging without sparing the thoughts for others on the road. And mostly i have observed that these are drivers who will give lift to normal commuters and charge something from them. Rarely do owners drive like this. And again these drivers will always drive periliously close to your vehicle. The best policy to be adopted while driving is-"after you sir". In delhi/NCR, these cabies/drivers are real menace. They will bang your and they their entire community will arrive.

The second worst menace in delhi are the people who have got rich overnight due to realty boom. They will buy skodas, scorpios, safaris and accents, with literally no sense of driving. Jet dark sunfilms, music blarring out and cigarrete smoke coming out from the cars. They will stop their car anywhere, anytime and open the gates full throttle. Once i saw that they had done just that and a poor biker who was at 40 kmph rammed into the door. Four of them moved out and that biker had a horried time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-16122011088.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-16122011089.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-23122011094.jpg  

Old 26th December 2011, 12:03   #3330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

If you maintain your speed, it would look like you overtook the vehicles in the rightmost lane from their left. At the same time, slowing down because the vehicles on your right are slower does not make sense.

Any insights? What do you do in such situation?
In countries with disciplined traffic, you rarely come across this situation.
In our country, we face this a lot of times (I face this on the Bangalore-Mysore road).
I try getting my right of way on the fast lane by flashing anf sounding horn.

But most of the times,
1. The slow vehicle on the fast lane takes me for a nuisance (recently after failing to get way, when I overtook from the left, the slow vehicle driver abused me for flashing so many times and honking )
2. Other vehicles overtake the vehicle in front of me from its left prohibiting him to give way even though he is willing to.
3. I end up overtaking from the left as well after my futile efforts to get way.
4. Egoistic drivers increase their speed (Which is fine with me.)

My thumb rule:
1. If its a truck, I give them more time than others(they are the most disciplined drivers on our highways IMO), and then decide my overtaking move.
2. If its a Government bus, I just overtake from the left...its a waste of time asking for a way (will honk once just to inform them of my presence).
3. If its a car, I try my best to get my way on the fast lane..Even after trying hard, If i don't get way, I overtake from the left and honk really hard as I overtake (To vent out my feeling towards them assuming they understand it).
4. If its a 2/3wheeler, I stay a little far and overtake by whichever is the safest option.

During all these, I'll also be prepared for some surprises like:
1. A government bus giving way.
2. Indicators..they mean specific things to specific drivers even though Its supposed to mean only one thing

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th December 2011 at 12:08.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed