Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 18:02   #3421
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But the rule also says that under all circumstances you HAVE to give way to a car with a blazing Siren. The Delhi police can be seen even announcing this on the roads many a times specially on the ring road stretch outside AIIMS. Its hilarious to watch people scramble. The PCR is on a emergency call and in stuck behind some moron not giving way. They have a loudspeaker attached to the PCR. They wait for sometime to allow the Driver in front to move and give way but when it doesn't happen they loudly announce on there loudspeaker that " Gaadi number xxxx, if you don't give way then there is on spot fine of Rs 2000". Needless to say the car gives way in less then 5 seconds even if it has to jump onto the opposite side of the road.
Aaah I see that I messed up my statements.
I completely condemn not leaving way to an emergency service. The technically correct part was oriented only towards the following statements (and not relating to holding the Ambulance).

She said "Dont you know speed limit is 80 kph !! And ,cars are only supposed to be on the RHS"

You should have asked her where she took the driving lessons from and if she has a license, how she managed to get it with such super gyaan.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 5th January 2012 at 18:25.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:04   #3422
Distinguished - BHPian

In fact, this is just one example of many where failing to leave space either delays others or even causes a complete jam.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:09   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I would agree. How about sticking a new sticker on such cars "Moron onboard"?
hmm.. not a bad idea. should use SuperGlue though. it'll never come off then
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 18:10   #3424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Nopes, please dont do that. I mean, tearing off the stickers from his car.

It is his car, his stickers... and nobody has the rights to touch or damage it. He maybe a moron or a bad driver, but that does not give anyone the authority to tear off the stickers which he has bought from his money.

Suppose one day you are in a hurry & at a particular junction, unknowingly you cut me off. The next day, I spot your car in a parking lot & come and rip off the sticker, will you like it? for you, it maybe a one off incident where you were driving rashly, probably for a reason.

P.S.: I am not supporting the i20 guy or any rash driver.
Nobody would do that for sure

And we wouldnt have to tear off the sticker ...it will be have to be replaced soon along with other parts at some garage if he continues to drive the same way .
Old 5th January 2012, 18:11   #3425
Distinguished - BHPian

Another very frequent sign is all the drivers who have to go right but take the left most lane which is for the traffic going straight on at the signal. Since most signals allow the right turn only for a limited time these smart people feel they are special. They travel on the left most lane all the way to the front and at the last park themselves diagonally facing towards the right waiting for there signal to turn green. In the process they block the way for traffic which was going straight or sometime leave enough place for only 1 car to squeeze through. End result is a lot of honking, increased blood pressures and chaos behind.
Old 5th January 2012, 19:16   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Did he have more than 1 sticker on his scorpio ? That should give an idea if he is a member or not, though it is not something that guarantees that he is a member.
I've posted in the other thread about one Black Scorpio in that area. This has an LTD sticker but I think it's a fake one as the Team-BHP.com part is missing from the Sticker. Not sure if this is same Scorpio that's been reported by you but I'll try to get the number next time I see it. I've seen the car many times at my Apartment complex also, so either he might live there or visit frequently. I wanted to click a pic when I saw the car first time, but after I noticed the sticker without TBHP.com, I decided not to. I'm not saying that it's that Scorpio only but just a hunch.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:47   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Lights ON and you can drive the way you want. This is at NICE Road-Bannerghatta Road juction, where drivers use the wrong side to overtake other vehicles. It is treated as a DRS zone to overtake.

This is becoming dangerous because, people going towards electronic city take the wrong side to overtake and then block the traffic towards Bannerghatta while entering the NICE road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc07756optimized.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc07754optimized.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc07755optimized.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc07752optimized.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc07753optimized.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc07757optimized.jpg  

arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 11:02   #3428
BHPian

Some common irritants I always see on the road:

- Not taking the right turn properly. many vehicles come head-on with the vehicles taking a left turn at the same junction ( this happens on minor junctions where typically all roads are undivided )

- A great reluctance to stop. this is the root cause of many problems. If the traffic ahead slows/stops, they simply squeeze through whatever gaps are seen, just like how water flows! And if anyone is getting on to the main road and has to cross the traffic while doing that, no one stops, and plays who-blinks-first by squeezing through the steadily decreasing gap on offer.

- Having no sense of how much obstruction one is creating by stopping where you are not supposed to. In undivided city roads, its crazy to stop in your lane hoping that others will "adjust" by moving to the oncoming lane. I am one who usually takes a lot of time to seek a proper parking space, and it irritates me no end to see people stopping cars wherever they want and walk away nonchalantly!

- "me-first" in a junction. I see this every day in the Dutt Mandir chowk in Viman Nagar that sees fairly heavy traffic in the evenings and has no signal and rarely a policeman in sight. Its not fun to cross this junction. If you wait for the traffic to clear, you are stuck for ever! everyone is in the middle of the junction, creating deadlocks. Eventually you too are under so much pressure ( lot of honking from behind ) that you too end up adding to the confusion. Some auto rikshaw drivers ( who are parked near the junction ) can be sometimes seen stepping in and clearing the traffic gridlock. Nice of them!

- Speeding at yellow lights. Somehow one just have to step on the pedal when one sees the green turn to yellow!!

- No mirrrors. Mirrors have to be folded neatly so that they can be kept intact for ever. Who cares about using them?

The fun part is that on the road, most drivers exhibit this extreme level of impatience and gives one the feel that he/she is in a great hurry. If only they had done the same thing in their work!!

Last edited by Bigzero : 6th January 2012 at 11:05.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:50   #3429
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-394953_278520692203402_100001364211742_738618_1218755282_n.jpg

What a parking ! My friend got stuck due to the illegal parking of the white alto
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 11:54   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Lights ON and you can drive the way you want. This is at NICE Road-Bannerghatta Road juction, where drivers use the wrong side to overtake other vehicles. It is treated as a DRS zone to overtake.

This is becoming dangerous because, people going towards electronic city take the wrong side to overtake and then block the traffic towards Bannerghatta while entering the NICE road.
Can you please upload them on BTPs facebook page with reg plates visible? BTP will take action.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:21   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Today I encountered a psycho driver. Near Wipro corporate office, a middle aged lady sitting behind a man on a Splendor riding in the rightmost side of the road, suddenly fell down. I was in the left lane, and the car that was behind the Splendor suddenly swerved left. Since I had expected this, I braked and stopped. And the rickshaw driver in front of me jumped out and went to help that old lady. So both I and the car on my right waited, to see if we can be of help.

That's when this bright red M800, TN 22 BU 5665, came behind the car on my right and started honking like a maniac. Since the lady was being helped to the side of the road, neither I nor the car on my right budge. And this guy kept honking.

The moment the right side was clear he managed to squeeze through and continued driving as if other vehicles are just some road blocks, zigzagging through and honking all the time.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:49   #3432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

I encounter this junction every day and at times, I felt like going straight at the people coming on the wrong side and stopping right infront of them, if I had a tipper or JCB or the like
Funny thing is that they do it even when there is no traffic jam or obstructions on the left side.

(Just noticed: Is the Qualis a government vehicle? I can see a green extension on top of the number plate)

Last edited by A350XWB : 6th January 2012 at 12:53.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:03   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Passengers/Drivers spitting out from moving vehicle top my list of bad driver/passenger.

Recently encountered a low life spitting pan out of a bling bling Sumo. Pulled over at signal to give him a piece of my mind. One look inside the vehicle made me think otherwise and I settled cursing him under my breath.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:31   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I encounter this junction every day and at times, I felt like going straight at the people coming on the wrong side and stopping right infront of them, if I had a tipper or JCB or the like
Funny thing is that they do it even when there is no traffic jam or obstructions on the left side.

(Just noticed: Is the Qualis a government vehicle? I can see a green extension on top of the number plate)
I heard that the court has lifted the stay order and the construction of the bridge will commence soon. I see some work going on there. Once its built, we can avoid these morons who flout rules as they will be travelling over the bridge.

I rarely see any Government vehicle following traffic rules. They always think that they are above the law.
These green strips above the number plate is not only used in Government vehicles but also illegally used by small time local politicians to sport their designation on their private vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Passengers/Drivers spitting out from moving vehicle top my list of bad driver/passenger.
This has become the biggest nuisance these days. Board any BMTC bus, you'll find the window panes painted red with pan/guthka marks. I really get scared when overtaking a bus as you can expect pan/guthka gushing out of any window at any moment. You can see my post in this thread (post #2913) and teach the same lesson next time when you encounter these kind of blokes.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 6th January 2012 at 14:43.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:21   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Look where the car and bike have stopped - the car takes off when the signal is still red - the biker would have too but for the auto turning right

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-motr4.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-motr1.jpg

As soon as the signals turn green, some drivers decide to turn right where there is no U-turn

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-motr2.jpg

Bad pedestrians - not using the FOB

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-motr3.jpg

Most Viewed