Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 13:15   #3526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Looking at the way he has parallel parked though, he might be categorized as someone who knows to drive (at least park) well
I would give him the credit of parking, but again dumb in one word. I could have as well parked right behind that ritz and I chose not to. Sense prevailed, which never did in case of the swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
That is quite funny because the ritz guy did not park correct and the swift guy though his driving skills are to be appreciated.

Not much use of parking sense and decided to park inbetween instead of opting to park in front of the ritz.

However it is unfair to comment without knowing who had parked ahead of the ritz guy.

Cheers
Prasad
There was an alto ahead of the ritz and he(ritz owner) used up two parking slots. If I were the swift guy I would have chosen to park elsewhere than following suit.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:18   #3527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Today I met a moron on Bike. He was driving in front of me and suddenly picked his phone and talking to someone. Without even looking he pulled right to avoid an auto to his left. I had to brake a bit to avoid him and just signaled him to watch out.
This gentleman took it offensive and followed be for few meteers and driving parallel to my left and asked
Him:What?
Me:You're on mobile not looking sideways before moving, both of us would be on ground now
Him: Athukku enna ippa (So what?)
Me: Nothing.. please go...
Him: Athuu... (then move on..)
Me: ........ It totally waste to teach these guys... These folks will learn one day the hard way and many won't be alive after that...

Hi Reisender

You are not alone. Y'day whilst returning from office ,near the PSBB school in KK nagar opp the CUB bank there wasa middle aged couple on the bike and they were going straight and had put on my indicator to turn right (perpendicular to them). A auto cuts them and this bike guy nods his head and a mini conversation as below since this guy stoppped in the track and I had to reach home for taking my daughter to the doc.

Bike: Ahaa rhomba styleaa vandi otreea pola(driving in too much style)
self: you need to check your eyesight it was the auto you need to talk
Biker: (turning to his wife) Yeppadi namma kann paarvai , evan sollarathey paaru(how is my eyesight, see this guy talking about it)
Self: please get lost ( in tamil with a few expletives)
biker wife tells him to get going ....

I would have taken him up and got down from my car but as had to take my daughter to the doc better let it go at that.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 10th February 2012, 01:06   #3528
BHPian

I need a few tips so that I don't end up in this thread.

Please forgive me for this noob photoshop work. I suck at using the pen tool!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-tbhp.jpg

Now, let me explain the picture. This is a road which I take daily on my way to college. The red direction is where majority of the traffic flows (most of the traffic is trucks). The road which I used to take is marked as blue. The lane that I enter is narrow as compared to the one on the left. Now, since a couple of days, there is a no right turn sign put on the turn, due to which I take the red route, go about 5 meters and then take a u-turn which is marked by green.

Now, I just wanted to ask, is this legally allowed or am I breaking any rule here? There is no divider on that road, so I guess a u-turn (green) should be allowed.

Last edited by prateekm : 10th February 2012 at 01:29.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:35   #3529
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks perfectly legal to me. Taking a left and U instead of right is an acceptable workaround that saves time and clears congestion. This is practiced in a number of places, e.g. Cadell Road in Central Mumbai where most of the right turns are prohibited.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:49   #3530
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Now, I just wanted to ask, is this legally allowed or am I breaking any rule here? There is no divider on that road, so I guess a u-turn (green) should be allowed.
You might want to check if that narrow lane has been made into a one-way. Sometimes, instead of specifying a One-Way board, they just put up a "No Right Turn" board. Other than that, it looks ok from what you say.
Old 11th February 2012, 21:11   #3531
BHPian

Today at around 11:00, I was waiting for my brother near Kabab Magic in East End Circle. This is what I saw in my 45 mins over there.

The best parking award goes to the Innova. My road, I will park in the middle.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120211_113523.jpg

If you can do that, I can do that as well.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120211_113751.jpg

So, are we from some other planet?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120211_114335.jpg

We will join the party.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20120211_114510.jpg

Funny thing is that a police jeep came and they went away as if it was none of their business The first Innova was parked there for more than 45 mins.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 21:33   #3532
Team-BHP Support

I saw a similar idiot in a Honda City yesterday on Banjara Hills Rd 36 (Hyderabad)

He drives real fast on the extreme left lane of a 3 lane road.
Abruptly stops to go and buy some liquor from a wineshop. The front passenger seat has a person with a 12 year old boy sitting on his lap.

The idiot had parked such that 3/4 of the left lane was blocked. he could have parked some 10 feet ahead and not been a nuisance to the traffic.

I saw him again on the KBR Park road speeding away, again on the left most lane.
Old 12th February 2012, 11:30   #3533
BHPian

ORR Between Hebbal and Yeshwantpur. today morning 7.10AM. I wait for a red signal. A cop riding HH Splendor reg No KA 02 HN 738 goes by without stopping. An elderly guy in a pickup stops next to me and asks why I am stopping when the police guy went way. I dont know what to say and race on to catch the cop and get his reg no. Complained to BTP on their facebook page now.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 12:06   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Thought will post this here as well .One of the worst incidents that I have seen on the road !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2679006

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
^ nice one Speedy! Please do post the video so that we can all see who the dimwit is. Btw, when did this happen?
I dont have his video .I was telling him that a video of his driving would be helpful to educate people .

Just awaiting my DVR .Will get it only in May .

Videos will follow regularly after that .

Other than this ,do you have any clue on whether the BTP actually uses the video recordings from the cameras on the BETL to fine speeding drivers?

Last edited by bblost : 13th February 2012 at 12:22.
Old 13th February 2012, 19:40   #3535
BHPian

Spotted this i10, who couldn't wait for a few minutes , but rather thought going in the opposite lane (oncoming vehicles lane) would help him reach home faster. But boy was he in for a surprise! He damn sure was!!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-i10.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, this guy goes on to the opposite lane (the lane for oncoming vehicles)when the signal is RED. And before he crosses the road and gets onto to the main road, he has his *facepalm* moment when vehicles start entering this lane from the service road.

This guy is now blocking the road for the oncoming vehicles, and after a few seconds he starts backing up his car. Until now i couldn't see who the fellow is. But as he starts backing up, Surprise Surprise !! This fellow has the "got bhp?" sticker and it pisses me off.

Does he go all the way back and join the lane in which he should be? No !! He promptly mounts his car onto the pavement, till all the oncoming vehicles are gone and then he continues his journey.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-123.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-124_4.gif

Somebody please rip off his stickers if you happen to spot him !
Old 14th February 2012, 00:05   #3536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I need a few tips so that I don't end up in this thread...

...There is no divider on that road, so I guess a u-turn (green) should be allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Looks perfectly legal to me. Taking a left and U instead of right is an acceptable workaround that saves time and clears congestion. This is practiced in a number of places, e.g. Cadell Road in Central Mumbai where most of the right turns are prohibited.
Technically, there is nothing wrong with taking the left and then taking a U. You aren't breaking any laws. But remember, laws are in place as a form of guidance more than a tool that's used to 'restrict'. It helps you get around with minimum fuss and ensures smooth flow of traffic, given the traffic snarls and situations. Of course, some of these laws in India can be questioned. But I believe that it has been done for the best. But some people think it's best they do what they wish because they're much too smart for laws and rules. they're the same kind of people who get banned from our Forum. I don't see any difference between them. Anyway..

Now even though there is nothing wrong with taking that left and then a U, think about it. A U-Turn is not a simple turn. It requires you to slow down and needs a certain amount of negotiation. When you slow down to take a U-Turn, you're going to be, in all probability, blocking traffic that's going straight. And the traffic in question, would mostly be trucks (as you'd mentioned) and they would be sticking to the right lane as soon as they complete the turn. And it's not just that. While getting onto the other side of the road, on-coming vehicles might have to slow down because you will be sticking your car's nose in their paths. Now that's frustrating and annoying.

Taking a U at that junction could prove to be messy, and you're not the only one who might consider this. Many people will do it even without thinking twice or consulting someone, like you have on the forum. So despite the fact that it's not illegal, I suggest you avoid taking that U-Turn and find some other way to get to your destination.

Off the record and on an unrelated note, I'd like to say that I've noticed several people who use the road regularly, improvising quite a bit. At the Ulsoor Police Station junction, while going towards CMH Road, there is a traffic-junction, where people going right towards Cambridge are required to stop while others can proceed straight for about 60 seconds, before it turns red for them too. Now I've noticed that people who want to turn right are very impatient. So what they do is go straight (since it's a green for those going towards CMH) and then take a U-Turn shortly afterward, and block traffic that's going straight towards Trinity Circle in the process. *bangs head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Today at around 11:00, I was waiting for my brother near Kabab Magic in East End Circle. This is what I saw in my 45 mins over there.

Funny thing is that a police jeep came and they went away as if it was none of their business The first Innova was parked there for more than 45 mins.
This is reminds me of something that happened today. Those familiar with Richmond Town will be aware of the one-way on which Fanoos is situated. Now to get back on Hosur Road, you will need to take the left after driving past the eateries and then negotiate your car around the massive Mosque and then take a left again so that you land up on the road that's parallel to the Fanoos road.

As soon as I took that left today, I slapped my forehead hard. There was a GA reg'd white Zen that was parked bang in the middle of a two-way road that's just about wide enough for two cars to pass smoothly.

Oh, and by the way, the pictures you've posted brings back some memories. I used to stay on that road, and in fact, my old house is nearly visible in one of the pictures. I spent most of my childhood on that street. Sigh.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2012 at 20:49. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 10:55   #3537
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Company Bus on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway doing 60-70 on the right most lane. Multiple folks including me tried to move this guy from that lane by flashing lights. But he did not budge.

Then while overtaking him from the left, signaled to the driver and the cleaner. At first he waved his hand to me to move ahead and not bother him , but the cleaner seemed to have understood the point. Later on saw him moving to the correct lane from my rear view mirror.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00155.jpg
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 12:57   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm
As suhaas307 explained in detail (correctly too), what you are doing is wrong since your taking a U-turn disrupts flow of traffic on that road. Unless if there was a U-turn allowed there, which won't be the case since it is too close to a junction. One could argue that since it is an undivided road and there is no explicit U-turn-not-allowed signage, it is not rule-breaking, but the act is wrong driving.

I remember a similar case being discussed on this thread many pages ago, related to Chennai - Query was : When coming from Nandanam junction, if a right-turn is not allowed onto Turnbulls Road, is it OK to take a left onto Cenotaph road and a quick U-turn and proceed straight to Turnbulls Road ? No was the answer, for the same reason.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:30   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Surprise Surprise !! This fellow has the "got bhp?" sticker and it pisses me off.
Unfortunately, quite a few bad road experiences I've had over the last week were at the hands of BHP'ians.

Today, it was a silver Hyundai Getz on SH35, the Varthur lake road with the Got BHP sticker. Cut across me near Varthur market, drove into oncoming traffic and held up everyone. On Sunday, it was a Toyota Fortuner bearing down on me on the Marathahalli flyover. The guy was literally on my tail, and standing on his horn, even when I had nowhere to go. Once he got past me (and glared at us lesser mortals in the m800) I saw the LTD sticker. Minutes later, it was a Hyundai i10 with bling alloys who zoomed out of an intersection like it was a fast left hander at Imola. LTD sticker again.

Clearly not my week.
Old 14th February 2012, 16:32   #3540
Distinguished - BHPian

Clearly, the members who drive like that don't read threads like this one. Or perhaps they are unable to comprehend that it applies to them?

The other evening, I was bringing my brand new Polo home for the first time, feeling very nervous... really heart-in-mouth! I could see a biker coming up behind me, I wouldn't have begrudged the overtake if I had had room to move to the left but I was not leaving squeeze-through space. Still, he tried it, at a junction, and I heard a scrunching noise. He must have come up against the median. Looking behind, I saw him waving his legs out like a tightrope walker moves his arms to balance! All this at 20 or 30 kph.

He stayed on, and he stayed upright!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks