Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2012, 17:21   #3541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Technically, there is nothing wrong with taking the left and then taking a U. You aren't breaking any laws(...)

Taking a U at that junction could prove to be messy, and you're not the only one who might consider this. Many people will do it even without thinking twice or consulting someone, like you have on the forum. So despite the fact that it's not illegal, I suggest you avoid taking that U-Turn and find some other way to get to your destination.
OK- I had no idea what the situation was at THAT particular junction- mine was a generic response. The example I gave of Cadell Road was one where the left and subsequent U-turn is perfectly legal and will not result in any significant mess since the road in question is a cul de sac (dead end) and doesn't have too much traffic to begin with; and it's not a very wide road so only cars and bikes will attempt this: heavy vehicles will NOT!

The question posed was: is there anything illegal in taking a left and U-turn combination when a right turn is explicitly banned? And my answer was (and continues to be): hell no! I am assuming that anyone who had the forethought to ask about the legality of such a move would also take care to ensure that (s)he does no block traffic unnecessarily while executing it.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 19:44   #3542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
The question posed was: is there anything illegal in taking a left and U-turn combination when a right turn is explicitly banned? And my answer was (and continues to be): hell no!
Well, as per the Motor Vehicles department, it is illegal - quoting from it :

"12. Taking 'U' turn
No driver shall take a 'U' turn where 'U' turn is specially prohibited and on busy traffic road. If a 'U' turn is allowed, the driver shall show signal by hand as for a right turn, watch in the rear view mirror and turn when safe to do so."

prateekm mentioned that he is taking U-turn on a busy road, which is prohibited as per rule above.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 20:38   #3543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The other evening, I was bringing my brand new Polo home for the first time, feeling very nervous... really heart-in-mouth! I could see a biker coming up behind me, I wouldn't have begrudged the overtake if I had had room to move to the left but I was not leaving squeeze-through space. Still, he tried it, at a junction, and I heard a scrunching noise. He must have come up against the median. Looking behind, I saw him waving his legs out like a tightrope walker moves his arms to balance! All this at 20 or 30 kph.

He stayed on, and he stayed upright!
Ouch.

People are always in a hurry here in India. Or is that an illusion created by the crazy number of vehicles on the road? I suppose it's this crazy traffic that leads to impatience, which in-turn leads to these nut-bags trying stunts that would be best left done 40 ft high and with sufficient netting and harness below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
As suhaas307 explained in detail...

...No was the answer, for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
OK- I had no idea what...

...block traffic unnecessarily while executing it.
I agree with you Noop. On a basic level, it's not a violation. So theoretically, it can be done. And hell yeah it's done on a daily basis. And I may just do it too, (unless it's actually really prohibited, and there is a visible No-U-Turn sign-board.) But I'd take the (if-legal-only) U-Turn only after reading the situation correctly.

For instance, I'd take the U-Turn if and only if there is absolutely no traffic, or very little traffic. And even then, I'd think twice about it, considering that many accidents happen when you least expect it and when things look strangely calm; and when an accident looks highly improbable.

But during peak-hour traffic, or when there is light traffic that's moving briskly, I wouldn't risk it, for the chances of being rear-ended by someone who is day-dreaming behind the wheel, or catching a briskly moving motorist - coming from the other side - by surprise.

However, if there is a sign-board, or if there are clear double-line markings on the road, I would not take the U-Turn.

Quote:
Well, as per the Motor Vehicles department, it is illegal - quoting from it :

"12. Taking 'U' turn
No driver shall take a 'U' turn where 'U' turn is specially prohibited and on busy traffic road. If a 'U' turn is allowed, the driver shall show signal by hand as for a right turn, watch in the rear view mirror and turn when safe to do so."

prateekm mentioned that he is taking U-turn on a busy road, which is prohibited as per rule above.
Supreme, do you have a link for this. I'm surprised that I didn't know about this. Is it really illegal, or umm.. let's put it this way.. 'frowned-upon'? How do we know when a U-Turn is 'allowed'? A board that suggests a U without a red-line across it?

EDIT: PrateekM mentioned that it's a busy road, and that most of the traffic turns left. So does that mean that the U is prohibited? I am aware of the Double-Yellow Line rule, but where in India do we find clearly marked double-lines where it's required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am assuming that anyone who had the forethought to ask about the legality of such a move would also take care to ensure that (s)he does no block traffic unnecessarily while executing it.
Not too sure about this one Noop.

Now there are people like you, prateekm and me who genuinely want to follow traffic rules, but are in doubt if they're doing the right thing at times. Several discussions have taken place on this forum, where points regarding the appropriate use of lanes were raised.

I still remember the discussion actually.

On a two-lane road where the speed-limit is 80 km/h, is it right to sit in the right-lane - (which is considered the fast lane) at the max-speed of 80 km/h (by law) - and not give way to someone who wants to overtake you, or is it wrong to hog the right lane altogether, since the right lane is for overtaking?

Other questions have come up too. Like, "Who's at fault if you get rear-ended by a vehicle? You, or the driver behind you?" I know the answer to this one though *grins*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2012 at 23:32.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:37   #3544
BHPian

Here is a Google Maps image of the junction just to make the discussion a bit more clear. The junction in question is the one near Wadala Road station where on taking a left goes towards Sewri.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cc498251d92a4e33b549433.png

Now, on the top left corner, you can see the junction where there is a signal and where I could take an u-turn. But at the time which I travel (7.30am), the signal is non-functional. Also, there is very little traffic flow coming from the opposite side and since there is no constable, most people usually take a right at that time. There is also no divider till the signal which is about 400m from the turn. The right turn I guess was blocked because of the blind spot for the oncoming trucks (you can see an oncoming red container truck taking a right at that junction to know what I mean).

Last edited by prateekm : 14th February 2012 at 22:38.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:51   #3545
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas, google the Kerala MVD site. Will post the link tomorrow when back on my laptop.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 23:48   #3546
Team-BHP Support

@ PrateekM

I would definitely advise you not to take a U-Turn on that road. Whether in the middle of the road, or at the junction. Especially if traffic is thin; because when traffic is not much, people tend to go faster than they should and reaction times reduce, the faster you go.

I'm sure you'd block traffic too, when you stop to take the turn. And that's not the right way of going about it.

Basically, I believe that a certain amount of discretion needs to be exercised for such things. Even if there is no rule that categorically states that you aren't allowed to take a U, you must not take a U on a busy road. It might lead to an accident and in all probably, will inconvenience many road users, especially those driving right behind you.

At the end of the day, we must try and understand that even if there is no rule as such, we mustn't do something that might inconvenience other road users and disrupt flow of traffic. It's another matter that flow of traffic is disrupted on a regular basis and everyday on every other road, by idiots.

This is where common sense and civic sense play important roles. It isn't easy to formulate rules and it's even harder for our thin police-force to implement them. Let's make life easier for them by ensuring that we maintain a certain degree of order, by applying common-sense.

I hope this helps.

Of course, this is my opinion. Several would beg to differ. But I try and practice safe and defensive driving at all times. Remember these two words: Always anticipate. You might arrive at your destination 10 minutes late, but the important thing is, you will ARRIVE at your destination.

I'd suggest you try a different route, or if you must take this route, find a way to get to that road without holding up traffic. Remember the word 'discretion'. No-very-light traffic, then take the U. Moderate-heavy traffic? Don't bother. *winks*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2012 at 23:50.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 09:48   #3547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
On a basic level, it's not a violation. So theoretically, it can be done. And hell yeah it's done on a daily basis. And I may just do it too, (unless it's actually really prohibited, and there is a visible No-U-Turn sign-board.) But I'd take the (if-legal-only) U-Turn only after reading the situation correctly.
Well, no denying that we would/might do it, but that does not make it legal. It still is a violation. This is sort of like the NoParking rule - while it is illegal to park where a NoParking board is present, it does not mean that you can park at places where there is no board. It is not possible to put up boards all over the place eg. say a bus-stop or at a turn or before a bridge etc - so these are defined in the rules as places where we should not park without needing a NoParking board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Supreme, do you have a link for this. I'm surprised that I didn't know about this. Is it really illegal, or umm.. let's put it this way.. 'frowned-upon'? How do we know when a U-Turn is 'allowed'? A board that suggests a U without a red-line across it?
Here you go : MVDKerala - Act and Rules Yeah, when a board suggests a U without a red-line, it is allowed.

@Thad, what Polo is it ? Diesel or 1.6P ? It is funny how we guys with hundreds of thousands of driving miles behind us, chicken out when the car is new, especially when driving it home from the dealer. My wife still does not forget to tease me about the day when I drove home the Baleno - all tensed, steering-wheel gripped hard, worried about the biker riding a metre or more away etc, though I had been driving then for almost 20years. :
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 10:04   #3548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, no denying that we would/might do it, but that does not make it legal. It still is a violation. This is sort of like the NoParking rule - while it is illegal to park where a NoParking board is present, it does not mean that you can park at places where there is no board. It is not possible to put up boards all over the place eg. say a bus-stop or at a turn or before a bridge etc - so these are defined in the rules as places where we should not park without needing a NoParking board.
Bang on!

Modern Road-Networks are given proper markings like criss-cross lines, where parking/stopping is not allowed. One can see that in developed cities like London and Hong Kong. Places where it's impractical or unnecessary to fix boards that prohibit vehicles from parking. Unfortunately, here in India, such markings don't exist. This is where I believe discretion and common-sense must be used.

Quote:
Here you go : MVDKerala - Act and Rules Yeah, when a board suggests a U without a red-line, it is allowed.
Thank you for the link Supreme.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note..

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-01022012113.jpg

And he's buuuyyyinnngg a staairwwayy to heaveeenn..
Old 15th February 2012, 10:18   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Bang on!

And he's buuuyyyinnngg a staairwwayy to heaveeenn..
He can also use it to convert the scooter to an electric scooter. Just use the ladder to touch the over head lines and there you go... petrol paisa vasool...
vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 11:40   #3550
Senior - BHPian

Today morning on the IT corridor. Just took a right at MadhyaKailash onto the 3-lane-on-each-side stretch till TIDEL Park. The road is empty and am cruising when I see in the IRVM this Pulsar behind me ridden by a lung-clad guy. While the speed he is doing is high, what interested me more was that he was weaving across the 3 lanes - you know taking that slanting move usually done at curves. Did not bother much, but when he overtook me, I glanced at him and see a tiny hand - a small kid sitting in front of him on the petrol tank. Must be a real small kid (couple of years or so) given that I did not notice the kid when watching his antics in the RVM. Gave me the shivers to think the danger the poor kid was exposed to during his crazy manouvres.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:11   #3551
Senior - BHPian

The first three at parked properly and along comes the silver Indica and parks at an angle! Why can't people learn to do things right?!
Name:  image167799845.png
Views: 1014
Size:  621.8 KB
Name:  image456729585.png
Views: 1001
Size:  531.3 KB
Old 15th February 2012, 13:00   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
...the silver Indica and parks at an angle!
Is the car well within its yellow markers? If so, then other than being an undeniable eyesore, I guess the car doesn't actually inconvenience anyone.
On the other hand, if the car is double-parked by being at an angle, then that is really rude!
Old 16th February 2012, 14:09   #3553
BHPian

This should be the height -

Yesterday I saw a guy driving Honda City on a relatively empty stretch of a road - reading a newspaper by keeping it between him and the steering!! I mean, how on earth you can do that?!!
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 16:18   #3554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first three at parked properly and along comes the silver Indica and parks at an angle! Why can't people learn to do things right?!
This still looks ok, at least from a distance, do look at the picture i posted on this thread, post # 2194, page number 147. That guy was insane, he actually blocked two parking lots because of his parking.

Everyday i see similar cases, avoid posting here, being a public forum.
Old 16th February 2012, 16:29   #3555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly!! The indica driver should have taken out a T-Square and ensured that his car is perfectly aligned with the rest. He/she has no business breaking such beautiful symmetry. Some people... i tell ya

Anil, you need to find a better excuse for posting your car's pics. hehehe.

Last edited by amitoj : 16th February 2012 at 16:30.
amitoj is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks