Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 23:31   #3661
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I agree with Rohan.

There might be people on two-wheelers who turn the volume down while riding, but most of them are completely oblivious to their surroundings. And they just cut across other motorists with utter disregard.

Today, I came across one such imbecile.

While waiting for the signal to turn green on MG Road (Mayo Hall/Bangalore Central junction) I was wiping the dust off my sun-glasses. And then the lights turned green, at which point I started to inch forward. Out of nowhere, comes this hero on two wheels - wearing headphones - who doesn't need to wear a helmet, and cuts me off from the left. I stood on the horn and the brakes simultaneously. I nearly hit him, and had a made contact, he would have fallen and probably sustained some sort of injury, while I'd be held at knife point in the middle of the road.

What ticket me off eve more was that he had the audacity to give me the dirtiest look, because I'd started crawling forward and the gap had narrowed down to an extent that he had to make several corrections in order to wriggle his way though. Sort of inconvenienced him.

I had half a mind to chase him down and give him a piece of my mind. But I simply rolled my windows up and turned up 'Rosetta Stoned' on the stereo.
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:30   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Thank you for the common sense lessons there.

2. Every bike rider with earphones on need not be listening to music at blaring volume. I, for example, do keep my earphones on, do listen to music, but not at the cost of my safety. I can surely hear "frantic honks of a truck behind me that has its brakes failed, or of an ambulance" and also I am alert enough to see the same in BOTH of my rear view mirrors.

Also, when I get a phone call, I make sure I pull over in a safe place and receive the call or return the call. Wearing ear phones just saves me the hassle of removing my helmet.

3. We have fools on roads, irrespective of whether they are on 2 wheels or 4. Prejudice against two wheelers (noticed across various threads in the forum) because some (probably most) try to squeeze in the narrow space next to your car, is sheer stupidity. There are sensible, safe riders too!

I totally agree with you on the above points, me personally had experienced these, with more than moderate volume, the hearing level drops considerably in both the scenarios, It is not fair to just write off stating that all two wheeler riders with headsets are "bad" or "stupid" drivers.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:29   #3663
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not think that it is safe for any driver of any vehicle to wear in-ear phones that block outside noise at all.

In fact, scrub "driver" ... it's not safe for pedestrians. Not safe for any road user.

Yes, of course, open earphones can be turned up, and so can car speakers. Also not safe.

Even without any volume, ICE is an accident causer. Changing CD? Looking for a radio station? Have to take your eyes off the road to do that? Big causer of accidents.

Head unit with touch-screen controls? Dangerous. I would not give car room to one where I can't find and use the controls by feel alone.

Don't buy fancy-looking ice. Buy something you can use with your eye's shut. But don't test that while driving!
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:37   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
we had a tough discussion if the driver was Bad, learner or just plain stupid. We concluded he has to be stupid as this just needs common sense to not part in three space for a car like spark.

I was so furious and wished i had a forum at work to post this and request the "brilliant" driver to park it properly.
It might be the case as we see, but the scenario can be something like this.

There might be a bike parked to the right of the car when he came to park.

The corrolla guy might have parked at a distance from this car, if you have witnessed this guy while he was parking his car, than he surely is STUPID.

But if you have come when the car was already parked, there might have been reasons which would have led him to park this way

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2012 at 09:08. Reason: Removing image from quoted post
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:47   #3665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

The corrolla guy might have parked at a distance from this car, if you have witnessed this guy while he was parking his car, than he surely is STUPID.

But if you have come when the car was already parked, there might have been reasons which would have led him to park this way
My thought exactly - Quite often somebody is forced to park in a non-ideal manner , coz of some other vehicle not being parked properly. Later a team-bhpian's camera would catch the poor soul and term him a moron. Unless its obvious like double parking or parking in a no parking area , it would be unfair to comment without getting the whole picture
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:08   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Its pretty hilarious watching people people trying to "Show off" their "superior traffic sense" on forums and fan pages by posting pictures of violators of traffic rules.

The Outcome of all this? BTP (with reference to Bangalore traffic police ) makes a quick buck by slapping fines over evidences provided by members.
At times I have seen vehicles being fined without evidence ! (example : car with the reg Ka -xx-xxxx cut across me and drove rashly .no photos or what so ever )

Personally if I were to receive notices for some thing posted by some who is "unqualified" , I would not even think twice before challenging it in court and take the person to task.
vinaydas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:41   #3667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

well i come across such jokers almost everyday and how pressed iam to leave a note on their glass to learn to park How can one be so very stupid? I guess it is a behaviourial issue...

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2012 at 23:46. Reason: Please avoid keying in entire sentences with CAPS on.
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:37   #3668
Senior - BHPian

Hi.here is another WORLD'S IDIOT No.1 biker,he parked it very carefully between 2 cars, and after parking it waited for few seconds to see if any car owner is going to move his bike. After that he went to his shop just opposite to it , One car owner saw this space ,he got down and was moving this bike so that he could park his car. This joker came running out of the shop and started abusing the car owner.The car owner also abused back with dirtiest bad words.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-k-058.jpg  

IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:21   #3669
BHPian

Well lets just say it takes all kinds to make the world spin. So all we can do is look out for the idiot as he / she isn't looking out. We will always find that odd driver out there ready to make a mistake but if we as attentive drivers manage to keep out nerves in check, it would save us lives, injury, money, pain, time and a lot of other things.

Having said that, have any of you Mumbaites sighted cops riding their 2-wheelers on the Sea-link between Worli and Bandra!! While it is strictly not allowed for the general 2 and 3 wheelers to use the sea-link, I see a cop (not necessarily on duty) use the sea-link on his 2 wheeler. Now, I fail to convince myself of the logic of the cops being allowed on a 2 wheeler on the sea-link, are their heads and bodies made of steel?? I use the sea-link every single day and I spot a minimum of one cop riding every single time without fail.

If some one can help me understand how this can be taken up with the authorities, I would gladly do so and I would think its only prudent to take up the matter as a responsible citizen.
Old 25th March 2012, 14:20   #3670
BHPian

Yesterday i was driving on the alwarpet, TTK road. I was driving on the right side when a blue i10 who was driving on the left side suddenly moved to my lane without even looking at his mirror. I was almost parallel to him, i honked and i went past him. After moving in front this guy again tried moving to my lane. This guy had thought that i had moved ahead of him and the right side lane was clear.

But this guy didn't even judge that my rear bumper was close to his right side front bumper. So when he tried to move into my lane again he slightly scraped my bumper. (Thank god no scratches as it was a plastic bumper) This guy was in such a hurry that after overtaking me he again moved to the left lane and almost crashed on to a tree because he was trying to squeeze into the gap between a santro and the tree. My wifey asked what the heck this guy is doing. Couldn't even get down because of slow moving traffic

Wonder how these morons got license.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 25th March 2012 at 14:22.
Old 25th March 2012, 15:55   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas
Its pretty hilarious watching people people trying to "Show off" their "superior traffic sense" on forums and fan pages by posting pictures of violators of traffic rules.

The Outcome of all this? BTP (with reference to Bangalore traffic police ) makes a quick buck by slapping fines over evidences provided by members.
At times I have seen vehicles being fined without evidence ! (example : car with the reg Ka -xx-xxxx cut across me and drove rashly .no photos or what so ever )

Personally if I were to receive notices for some thing posted by some who is "unqualified" , I would not even think twice before challenging it in court and take the person to task.
Speaking of being fined wrongly, what are the procedures we can undertake to prove our innocence? I got fined on days when i wasnt even on the road. Checked the dates and timings and I had photographic proof that i was at home at those times. And never had i visited those areas in my car also. Yet i had to pay the fine as I wasnt aware how to tackle the situation.

Can somebody enlighten us on this issue legally?
Old 26th March 2012, 11:06   #3672
BHPian

A few Pics of 'Really Bad Drivers' that I have clicked over the past few weeks.

Exhibit 1 - Rickshaw driver tries to move perpendicular to traffic -
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver_rick1.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver_rick2.jpg

Exhibit 2: Dumb idiots blocking both lanes creating a traffic hold up.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-drivers_no-respect-lane.jpg

Exhibit 3: Carrying cargo on Scooter, which can easily kill someone in an accident.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver_dangerous-cargo1.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver_dangerous-cargo2.jpg

And the piece de resistance

Exhibit 4 - Chap driving his santro with all 4 windows covered with the black screens. Zero visibility to sides. He also had the driver side window covered Moreover there was a lady on the rear seat with a kid playing (standing up) on the rear seat.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver_windowblocked-stupid.jpg
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 15:56   #3673
Senior - BHPian

If you thought bull bars are bad, you will be shocked out of your boots to see this on the road:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image354813129.jpg

In case the picture is not clear, those two blue things coming out of the hood are BULL HORNS.
Old 26th March 2012, 17:33   #3674
Distinguished - BHPian

Even Rolls Royce and Mercedes had to modify their bonnet crests to make them safe for pedestrians, and this ignorant, stupid, thoughtless idiot does this?

Pathetic prat. And doubly ignorant, because they are back-to-front: the points of a bull's horns point backwards, it does the damage by charging with its head down and bringing its head up.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th March 2012 at 17:36.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:01   #3675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If you thought bull bars are bad, you will be shocked out of your boots to see this on the road:

Attachment 907438

In case the picture is not clear, those two blue things coming out of the hood are BULL HORNS.
In this day and age when pedestrian safety is given prime importance while designing the nose of the car, we have imbeciles driving around in Sumos, waiting to kill unsuspecting pedestrians with not just bull-bars, but the horns too now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks