Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:23   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I was very much in the correct lane and did not cut anyone off. I don't think you are aware of this road (I was at the 90 degree bend).

Thanks ze H4WK for rightly pointing that out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
traffic flows in two lanes on left and one (oncoming) on right from where NPV is positioned. where he's taken that first picture the road curves to the right (sort of 90 degrees) and he's very much in his lane.

i advise you to refrain from passing unnecessary comments if you're not aware of the circumstances and/or are not familiar with the area.
Oh so you mean to say that where NPV's car is in a slanting position is actually a bend. I apologize in that case, but from the picture it did seem that the car is trying to cut in and to a person like me unaware of the road, it does seem wrong. Also there are no lane indications on the road and hence the comment.

Did not mean to offend anyone but just went by what I saw first. NPV- I apologize again.

Last edited by S2!!! : 2nd April 2012 at 12:32.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:55   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Another nuisance on the road are the cabbies who have those flickering type of setup for the brake, reverse, fog light etc all at the same time when they brake. The other day I was behind a TT and suddenly it went a little towards the left, thinking something is ahead on the road i also moved a little to the left but only to realize that this guy wants to stop. All his lights were flashing except the indicator.

A question:

This happened yesterday, i just want a feedback from members if I was a bad driver, if yes then I am happy to correct myself

Scenario: I came up the ram saw a swift just about to pull out of the parking lot so I had my hazard lights on and stopped on the driveway. Then came a Beat which stopped behind me, the guy inside started honking every now and then as the swift was taking a bit longer to pull out.

Incidently it was waiting for the car in front to move as well, and hence, two parking spaces opened up, i parked in the first one and the beat parked just behind, got down and told the driver to be patient, he argued that I was blocking the driveway.

Question: Am i at fault for blocking the driveway as their is no way for the car to stop other than the driveway.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:30   #3708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Question: Am i at fault for blocking the driveway as their is no way for the car to stop other than the driveway.
Yes.

You must have gotten down from your car and lifted it up so the Beat could pass you.

Jokes apart.
What I understand is both you and the Beat wanted to park. You were waiting patiently while the Beat guy was being childish.

Even if you had somehow moved, what would the Beat do?
Stay in your spot and wait for parking space.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:41   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Yes.

You must have gotten down from your car and lifted it up so the Beat could pass you.

Jokes apart.
What I understand is both you and the Beat wanted to park. You were waiting patiently while the Beat guy was being childish.

Even if you had somehow moved, what would the Beat do?
Stay in your spot and wait for parking space.
Lol, i would have loved to lift my car and put the 1.5 ton behemot on the beat

The guy was arguing that I should have gone to the side and allowed him to move, i was left speechless. Stopped the argument there itself.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:36   #3710
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Yes I have experienced this behaviour. Once I was waiting patiently for a car to get out of a parking space and join the traffic. He had his front wheels out already and everyone ahead of me was making a slight turn into the oncoming lane and zooming head, not allowing him in. I stopped and let him in. The guy behind me was honking like hell so after the car moved in, I let him pass and as he overtook me he told me angrily, Maybe you have all the time in the world but some of us have places to go!!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:32   #3711
BHPian

Guys

It is a good practice to stop when the signal turns to orange from green. But do you think this is possible to do this when you know that there always some morons who try to accelerate only at this point in order to skip the signal. There is always a situation where someone would come and bang behind you. My concern is that does this make one a bad driver if he is not able to stop when the signal turns orange. I always try to stop when the signal turns orange.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 2nd April 2012 at 21:39.
vishnu.csk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:35   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Guys

It is a good practice to stop when the signal turns to orange from green. But do you think this is possible to do this when you know that there always some morons who try to accelerate only at this point in order to skip the signal. There is always a situation where someone would come and bang behind you. My concern is that does this make one a bad driver if he is not able to stop when the signal turns orange. I always try to stop when the signal turns orange.
Yeah, orange means standby either ways, only green means move & red stop, so if a signal is turning from green to orange and red, you have to slow down and stop, but like you mention, a lot of the vehicles actually start putting on speed when they see the orange, I just slow down and stop also giving a hand signal if not using the ac otherwise just slow down and stop.

Getting banged from behind, the probability is quite less than getting caught for jumping signals
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:19   #3713
Distinguished - BHPian

In UK, the meaning of amber (orange) is stop if you can safely do so. Emergency braking is not expected! Distance and speed: it's a judgement call. Pass through the red, though, and a camera may result in a hefty fine. The difference is i, traffic signals are respected anyway and ii, periods have pedestrian-crossing and safety buffers built into them. Crossing a red light is taboo, regardless of how soon you know it's going to change. Even if you think the system has stuck (it happens) you wait ages before gingerly proceeding.
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:29   #3714
Team-BHP Support

You guys have signals that show amber. Wow.

In Hyderabad, the traffic police does not burden us with such exotic things.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:19   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You guys have signals that show amber. Wow.

In Hyderabad, the traffic police does not burden us with such exotic things.
We were speaking about hi-tec signals with countdowns Here in Blore there are quite a few signals where the ember does not glow or the red glows as well as the green.

Last edited by motomaverick : 3rd April 2012 at 10:20.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:39   #3716
Team-BHP Support

Sunday Evening around 4:30 PM.
Not much traffic. I am waiting at a red light.

The road in front is fully open. Very inviting. I want to floor the pedal. Can already see myself change the gears as I take off towards the open road.
There are buses on either side of my car.

I am all set.

Something suddenly stops me.
Its a public road and I cannot see the sides because of these buses. I ease of the pedals and as the light turns green, I move forward slower than usual.

Its then that a two wheeler, cuts ahead from the left hand side of the bus on my left.
Continues to rip across the road perpendicular to the traffic flow to take a U-Turn.

I don't know if it was his luck or mine that I did not end up killing him.

I think its all the time I spend on team-bhp that never forgets to remind you, there are idiots everywhere.
Don't be one, so you don't end up killing another one.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:43   #3717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there are idiots everywhere.

Don't be one, so you don't end up killing another one.
Oh, wise words! Well put!

That would make a good signature. Certainly it is a good driving philosophy.
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:45   #3718
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Oh so you mean to say that where NPV's car is in a slanting position is actually a bend. I apologize in that case, but from the picture it did seem that the car is trying to cut in and to a person like me unaware of the road, it does seem wrong. Also there are no lane indications on the road and hence the comment.

Did not mean to offend anyone but just went by what I saw first. NPV- I apologize again.
Yes, since I was at the bend, it looks like i'm on right lane !
I thought I'd explained in my post that there are narrow stretches where this is common sight on that particular road, but realised that I'd omitted the word "narrow" so requested Mods to fix that.
Sometimes even pictures can be misleading so as they say "don't judge a book by it's cover" !
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:39   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Another very bad Kochi private bus druver. He is blocking the free left turn. Don't be fooled by his leftward angle; he is in fact trying to circumvent a vehicle in front and is bound straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg  

Old 4th April 2012, 07:47   #3720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are buses on either side of my car.

I am all set.

Something suddenly stops me.
bblost, Your presence of mind saved the day for everyone.

Buses at traffic lights are tricky. At many red lights, when you wait behind a bus, you wont be able to see the lights. And if you follow the bus, trusting the judgement of the bus driver, you may be jumping the red. Many a times, I have found them not waiting for Green and jumping the red after waiting for a while for the traffic to clear up. And they take an entourage along with them, bikes, cars, autos etc all breaking the signal.

Make sure the light is Green before you follow any vehicle and trust your judgement alone. There is good chance that the light is still Red.

Don't move and then brake. There is good probability of a hit from the rear.

Stay put. And be prepared to handle a honking barrage from behind.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed